Prisa enters North America
Iñaki Ferreras

Spain’s main media group Prisa has made its first steps into the North American TV market, by taking 12% of Hispanic cable TV channel V-me Media. V-me is the fourth-ranked broadcaster in the Latin-language market of the US.

The move means for Prisa the creation of a platform for content distribution in the area. This percentage also means Prisa is keeping an eye out for future total control of the channel, perhaps as early as next year. Prisa offers V-me money and content which will allow the Spanish company to speed up its development and growth in the US Hispanic market. This is the first time a Spanish company of this type has made such a move.

Both Prisa and V-me are well known for their high production values and content distribution in the areas of education, information and entertainment. Their merger will result a unique TV offering for a market with a high potential of growth, said the companies.

Juan Luis Cebrián, Prisa’s CEO, said: “This operation is a great step for our group’s global strategy and we consider V-me is the right partner for us because V-me knows the North American market perfectly, because it has a big distribution platform, due to the quality of its content and the profile of its audience.”

• V-me is an audiovisual production and distribution company, owner of the cable TV network V-me, with top quality content in the world of entertainment, information, music, sports and films for the Latin audiences