Internet disconnection a clear vote loser


A YouGov poll for the Open Rights Group shows that nearly a third (31 per cent) of UK citizens would be much less likely to vote for a party that supported Internet disconnection for online copyright infringement. A further 13 per cent would be a ‘little less likely’: in total, 44 per cent would be less likely to vote for a party that supported such a policy.

Nearly three quarters (73 per cent) said if they were disconnected, they would find their ability to use vital commercial services, such as shopping and banking, completely disrupted or fairly harmed. Over 40 per cent said their ability to work or gain an education would be harmed.

Jim Killock, Executive Director of the Open Rights Group said: "This poll shows people rely on the Internet, and an overwhelming majority think that access should only ever be withdrawn as the result of court action. Nearly a third would be much less likely to vote for a party that supports disconnection proposals.