BFBS Afghanistan launched today
October 26th, 2009 - 10:51 UTC
by Andy Sennitt.
The British Forces Broadcasting Service (BFBS) launched its new station at Camp Bastion in Afghanistan at 0200 UTC this morning. BFBS originally built and shipped a radio studio to Afghanistan in 2007 but only now has the space been found for the huge 4.5 metre satellite dish.
BFBS engineers began the daunting task of reviving sensitive broadcast equipment that had been abandoned for too long in the heat and dust of Afghanistan. Most of the kit was fine, although a CD player didnít make it and had to be hit repeatedly with a large hammer to put it out of its misery.
BFBS Afghanistan is broadcast on FM as follows (+ BFBS Radio UK/BFBS Gurkha Radio)
* Camp Souter, Kabul 102.4 + 104.9/103.5
* HQ ISAF, Kabul 102.1 + 104.1
* Camp Alamo, Kabul 102.1 + 104.6/103.2
* Kandahar 102.4 + 104.9/106.3
* Camp Bastion 102.4 + 104.9/106.3
* Lashkah Gar 102.4 + 104.9/106.3
* FOB Price 102.4 + 104.9/106.3
* All Other Fobs (where fitted) 102.4 + 104.9/106.3