Austria 9 TV loses shareholders

German publishing house Burda together with Mediapool, owned by Focus magazine’s editor-in-chief Helmut Markwort, and High View Holding, owned by TV manager Alexander Trauttmansdorff, have pulled out of Austrian commercial broadcaster Austria 9 TV.

The channel’s managing director and shareholder Conrad Heberling together with fellow shareholder Andmann Media Holding, owned by Josef Andorfer, have taken over the shares. Financial details were not revealed.

Heberling, long time marketing head at German general interest channel RTL II, now holds the majority with 58.5%, while Andorfer, formerly managing director of RTL II and programme planner at Austrian public broadcaster ORF, owns the remaining 41.5%. With the move, Austria 9 is now 100% owned by Austrians. Until now, Burda owned 51%, Andorfer 25%, Heberling 10%, Markwort 9% and Trauttmansdorff 5%.

“The other shareholders gave us the wonderful opportunity to acquire Austria 9 TV completely,” said Heberling in Vienna. “Despite the strong competition from Germany’s channels, it must be possible to make a success of commercial Austrian TV channels in Austria. We want to and will use the developmental achievements of the last two years and our entire efforts to establish Austria 9 as a successful channel from and for Austria.”

The entertainment channel, launched on 12 December 2007, is available via cable, satellite and IPTV screening series, movies, lifestyle programmes and quiz shows