Thread: Skystar streaming directly to a wireless media center?

Skystar streaming directly to a wireless media center?

Hi guys,

I would like to know if it is possible to stream the data directly from a skystar 2 board to a wireless media center, such as Pinnacle's Showcenter or D-link's DSM-520 connected to a TV, So that there's no need to create a file in the PC?

Thanks

Uploads

Re: Skystar streaming directly to a wireless media center?

Hi @jcpr,

I have been using SKYSTAR2 for a year as professionel.But I didn't hear any info. about wireless connection until now.If your graphic card has a TV out in your PC then you can transfer to your TV with cable connection.

Regards

Radion

Hi Radion,

It's not the skystar2 that has the wireless connection.

Imagine you have a PC with a skystar 2 pci board. This PC is connected to a wireless router.

Now imagine you have a D-Link DSM-520
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=438&sec=0

or a Pinnacle Showcenter
    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...nter+1000g.htm

Connected to the same router via a Wireless connection.

Can I channel the streaming from the skystar 2 directly to the D-link or Pinnacle's hardware, without the need to create a file in the PC?

Uploads

You can try but I don't think you will like the results. I stream video from my ss2 card using mytheatre to other computers through out the house but it is on a wired network. I have read of people trying over wireless but there is not enough bandwidth (you will need about 4Mbps, way more than wireless can provide) so you have to basically use third party software (VLC is very popular and free) to do on the fly re-encoding of the stream to a much smaller bitrate so that you won't overwhelm your wireless network. Now you will run into another problem, on the fly re-encoding is very CPU intensive and you will need a lot of horsepower to be able to do it (if at all). The latest version of mytheatre has built in streaming but there is also a plugin called AVbroadcaster that is very popular for streaming. Give it a try and see what you get.