Artists design Sky+ HD World Cup STBs
Monday, May 17 2010, 14:50 BST
By Andrew Laughlin,

Sky has signed up a trio of English artists to produce limited-edition Sky+ HD one terabyte set top boxes in celebration of the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa.

Fashion designer Wayne Hemingway, illustrator Gerald Scarfe and actor Phil Daniels have all provided exclusive football-themed designs for the new Sky+ HD 1TB receiver, which can record up to 240 hours of HD programming.

Hemmingway took inspiration from England's World Cup win in 1966 by adorning the box with the date and final score from the match against Germany.

"What do we all remember about the only time we won the World Cup? The date and the score. What would you say to a German football fan? 1966, 4-2," he said.

"They are just numbers but they say so much. Any fan would instantly recognise the meaning of these iconic numbers."

Scarfe, who used his trademark art style to create a patriotic box design, said: "The sense of excitement, anticipation - and dare I say it hope - that is growing in England as we approach the World Cup is tremendous.

"Those emotions fuelled my design - it captures what could be a wonderful moment of English glory and unity."

Quadrophenia star Daniels instead drew inspiration from his time spent in South Africa in 1979 while filming Zulu Dawn with Burt Lancaster.

"I just remember being visually blown away by the proud display of culture and heritage - such bold vibrant colours and shapes," he said.

"I used those memories as a starting point when designing the World Cup box, and out came a flood of energy, colour and football."

Priced at 249 each, the limited-edition receivers will launch in late May ahead of the start of World Cup on June 11.