Thread: Trying to understand how the Dongle works for troubleshooting

Uploads

Question Trying to understand how the Dongle works for troubleshooting

I am new to the whole Satellite TV thing. I am a soldier deployed to Iraq. I would much prefer to have my DirectTV guy come and fix my problems, and pay him handsomely for the job and the TV channels, like I already do at home. That being said, I want to educate myself on how the system works.

The system that is most popular for us here is a Strong SRT 4620II with a Mini X-1 Dongle. Most systems have one dish with two or three Universal LNBs pointed at NILESAT, SIRIUS, and HOTBIRD. The other dish has one Universal LNB and is pointed at EUTELSAT W6, and is attached to the Mini X-1 Dongle.

I understand that codes change, so sometimes that is the problem. But sometimes the channels are encryted, sometimes they are not. Sometimes they will come back if you turn the Stong box off and on again, sometimes they won't. Sometimes a total reboot of the Boxes works, but only for a few moments...not sure how the system works to troubleshoot.

I am trying to educate myself on how the system works so I can troubleshoot when things go South, especially when I am trying to watch some sporting event. I don't have a good view of the sky, but where I have my dishes set up seem to get me a consistent 70-80% signal...that, unfotunately, won't change.

Any help that anyone out there can provide, you will help me provide much relief to a bunch of soldiers just trying to watch some sports in our downtime.

Thanks!

Shaps

Uploads

Re: Trying to understand how the Dongle works for troubleshooting

Hi

First of all, excuse my bad english...(I'm french)
    I 'll try to explain first how sat reception works.

Coverage:
    The coverage is not a real science & you can compare it to an electric torch. Not really circle & indefined without seeing the coverage map.
    (have a look here)
    http://www.google.fr/images?hl=fr&q=...ed=0CDYQsAQwAw

On the border you must need a bigger dish because poor signal.(bigger is always better everywhere )

-----------------------------------

Dongle: http://www.satsupreme.com/attachment...7&d=1270652597

A dongle is similare to a sat receiver but receive only 1 preseleted channel (datas)
    Datas are only keys (crypted words, biss, seca, nagra, irdeto keys...)
    Those keys are transmitted to your "pictures" receiver that can now decrypt sport/film channel.

You can compare this with cardsharing over the net but without net (replaced by sat dongle reception).

Why two or three LNB's ?
    Because a sat provider can't send keys to decrypt channels on is sat.(you can't decrypt a hotbird channel
    with a dongle on the same sat pointing & usually it points on another sat to avoid complaints from ... SKY, CSAT, DIGITAL...& other programs providers).

When you're buying a dongle, you're a skyjacker LOL
    Your strong get wanted pictures then dongle get the keys for this program & transfer to the strong that now can give you decrypted video.

Possible Troubles on reception:

Many troubles can stop the vidéo.
    -Your dongle provider can not send the keys for any reasons... his computer out of order, His internet could too, he didn't pay his subscription, or maybe the sat provider stop to emitting your dongle provider because complain or technical trouble...

-The trouble is maybe on your system then you need a good signal (80 to 90%) clouds, rain can decrease your signal too.
    On desert prefer a grilled dish to avoid sun deformations (white or sand colour painted but do not use lead paints )

Hope this resume can help you even I prefer you go home quickely...

BR

Uploads

Hi

An example for morebox notice
    http://www.satsupreme.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=167039&d=1279358852
    Thx to esc@pe

BR

You are using a simple system of (IKK internet keys or card sharings,private is card sharing, ) using a dongle ,ihub, new link, whatever you name it.
    Here it's use with servers+"seeds" (receivers sub to dn+bev) + .bins for STB+files for dongle. Your problems there are very simple, here they are more complicate.
    Last week DN sent a (ECM, for the dongles+ihub) It corrupted the S#(dongle) use for each STB connected to the net,
    On the top of this, many forums are closings as DN is complicatings its operatios(many lawsuit involve about forums)
    Here is something how to fix this problem, (sometime you have to fix problems as "scrambled channel,no be able to change to other channel,,etc)
    I loaded this puppy up and couldn't get a picture,
    freeze or nothing. So I decided to reload the V0263 to check my iHub s/n which
    was not correct. I corrected the s/n and then saved. Loaded the V411 back and
    shazam adapter won't connect and the ip config menu will not show up unless I
    power off via the remote as with the V0410. I have loaded, unloaded, reloaded,
    half loaded and stood on my head. Tried it with both eyes open and one eye
    closed still no cigar. Tried it with the wiz loader, no loader, back loader
    and...and...and...well you get the point. The 263, 405, 406 and 408
    seems to work properly but I haven't seen any picture with these. I guess it is
    back to the drawing board. It's a pain in the bum but it gives me something to
    do. lol