Thread: Latest Transfer Stories 27-09-10.

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Stories 27-09-10.

Sneijder tempted by United

Inter midfielder not ruling out Old Trafford switch

Wesley Sneijder has admitted it would be wrong for him to rule out the possibility of ever joining Manchester United.
    The Inter Milan playmaker was linked with a move to Old Trafford during the transfer window and has more recently been connected with Real Madrid, where he would be reunited with Jose Mourinho.
    Sneijder has dismissed talk of a return to the Santiago Bernabeu, after a frustrating spell with the Spanish club earlier in his career, but concedes it would be hard to resist a switch to United.
    He remains committed to Inter at the current time despite a breakdown in negotiations over a contract extension, although he has hinted that he could end up with the Red Devils one day.
    "If somebody asks me if I will ever play for Manchester United, it's impossible for me to say no," Sneijder told the Daily Star Sunday.
    "How can you say that if the chance came you would not play for one of the biggest clubs in the world?
    Strongest league

"'I don't think there is any player in the world who could publicly rule out ever playing for Manchester United, and if they did I would doubt they were telling the truth."
    Sneijder has already played for some of Europe's very top clubs and says that if he does come to England, it would only be for Manchester United.
    He added: '"The Premier League, in terms of top clubs, is the strongest in the world, and it would be nice to finish my career saying I have played at the very top in Spain, Italy, and England.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Stories 27-09-10.

Fabiano frustrated at Sevilla

Redknapp linked with January bid for Sevilla striker

Tottenham have been linked with a January move for Luis Fabiano after the Brazilian's agent admitted he might have to leave Sevilla.
    Fabiano was top of Harry Redknapp's wishlist over the summer after Spurs clinched UEFA Champions League football with a fourth-placed finish last season.
    But the Premier League club were unable to prise the Brazil international away from Sevilla, who were demanding in excess of 20million for their prolific goalscorer.
    And it looked as though the 29-year-old would not be heading to England any time soon after agreeing a three-year contract extension with the Spanish side in the summer.
    However, Fabiano has played just 17 minutes of football for the La Liga outfit this season and the player's agent Jose Fuentes has opened the door for Redknapp to come back in for the South American frontman.
    Fuentes told The People: "The situation is unpleasant. Luis Fabiano does not understand and neither do we.
    "I don't understand Sevilla's decision to give him a new deal until 2013 and then leave him on the bench.
    "He is Brazil's No.9 and has scored 95 goals for Sevilla, and that merits respect.
    "If it doesn't change then we are obliged to seek a move."

Uploads

Drogba may look elsewhere

Striker might not end career with Blues

Didier Drogba has hinted that he may not end his career with reigning Premier League champions Chelsea.
    The Ivorian striker has been at Stamford Bridge since 2004 when he moved from Marseille.
    Drogba, who has two-years left on his current deal, has played over 250 games for The Blues and previously stated he would end his career with the West London giants.
    But the 32-year-old admits that things could change, and he told Canal Plus: "When I signed a new contract at Chelsea, I always said I wanted to finish my career here.
    "But I am well placed to say that anything can happen.
    "When I was at Marseille I said I would finish my career there but, one week later, everything changed."
    Lesson

Chelsea play Marseille on Tuesday in the UEFA Champions League, and Drogba is upset at missing the chance to line-up against his former club as he is suspended.
    But he is desperate to make the second leg in France, adding; "I hope I don't miss the return match as the Velodrome has an exceptional atmosphere.
    "I did not think I would miss this game, but that is a lesson in life.
    "I have already warned my team-mates about the Stade Velodrone, I said forget about Stamford Bridge, Old Trafford, St James' Park - the Velodrome is unique."

Uploads

Redknapp wants to add flair

Spurs boss eager to mirror the style of North London rivals

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp wants to use the transfer market to add some more flair to his team despite a shortage of defenders.
    Spurs lost at struggling West Ham on Saturday as last season's fourth-placed Premier League team could not overcome an injury crisis in a 1-0 defeat.
    Redknapp had only Vedran Corluka and Sebastien Bassong fit to play at centre-back at Upton Park as the likes of Ledley King, Michael Dawson and Jonathan Woodgate are sidelined.
    The Tottenham boss has acknowledged that he has a defensive headache ahead of Wednesday's UEFA Champions League match against FC Twente.
    But Redknapp is also eager to add some style to combine with the likes Rafael van der Vaart and Luka Modric when the transfer window reopens in the winter.
    He said in The Game: "I'd like to get another couple of flair players for the side to go with the likes of him (Van der Vaart) and Modric. You don't give the ball away when you've got players like that.
    Hammer-throwers

"You look at Arsenal, they're all popping the ball around to each other. If people want the ball, you've got a chance because they tend not to give the ball away.
    "I'd much rather play that way, to be honest with you, than have people in there who are hammer-throwers, and keep passing the ball to the other team and then tackling people to get it back again. I'd rather go the other way."
    Redknapp will hope that his existing flair players click against Twente in midweek as he plans to go on the offensive to cope with his defensive problems.
    He said in The Sun: "We have to go for it. Winning the game is all-important and it will set us up nicely.
    "The group is wide open with one point each. Inter Milan are obviously the favourites but after that, it's wide open. At home, our crowd are pumped up. It will be an intimidating atmosphere, just like it was in the qualifier against Young Boys. We attacked and got after them from the start.
    "That is what we have to do in these European games, especially in this group. In Milan you might set up differently but at home... no."

Uploads

Los Che eye Mata talks

Valencia keen to keep ace

Valencia are keen to open contract talks with Spain international winger Juan Manuel Mata.
    Star names David Villa and David Silva were both sold over the summer, but they managed to keep hold of Mata, who was wanted by Barcelona.
    But Mata, 22, is out of contract in 2012 and the club are keen to see him extend his deal.
    Mata's father, who is also his agent, confirmed that they are due to sit down with the club.
    "We have not settled on a day for the meeting yet, but it is certain that the desire is there," Juan Mata snr said.

Uploads

McLeish hopes for Seb deal

Birmingham trying to persuade midfielder to sign extension

Alex McLeish has confirmed Birmingham City are still trying to persuade Sebastian Larsson to sign a new contract.
    Larsson is currently in the final season of his deal at St Andrews and Birmingham reopened talks over an extension earlier this month.
    However, the Swedish midfielder is yet to agree terms with Blues and would be able to take advantage of his impending Bosman status in the New Year.
    The 25-year-old has scored 20 goals in over 170 appearances for Birmingham since initially joining on loan from Arsenal in 2006 and McLeish hopes to hang on to Larsson.
    Good position

McLeish said: "There is nothing doing at the moment with Seb's contract.
    "We were hopeful we could get something done, but it is up to Seb. He is now in a good position for himself if he wants to become a Bosman.
    "But we will keep trying to entice him."
    Larsson has been back to his best in recent games with his pinpoint crosses, although no-one could take advantage during Saturday's goalless draw with Wigan.
    McLeish said: "I think he had a great game on Saturday. His delivery from the wide area was great.
    "Seb doesn't have to beat a man. He can get the ball around an opponent with his terrific curl on the ball.
    "We are just desperate for someone to get on the end of those quality crosses."

Uploads

Arsene defends spending policy

Gunners boss points to development of youth players at club

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has strongly defended his spending policy at the club.
    On Friday, the Gunners announced record pre-tax profits of 56million for the year ended 31st May, 2010.
    Such positive financial figures have led to question marks over Wenger's movement in the recent summer transfer window.
    Wenger signed Laurent Koscielny, Sebastien Squillaci and Marouane Chamakh, but failed to bolster his goalkeeping options after seeing a bid turned down for Fulham's Mark Schwarzer.
    The French coach, though, has hit back at the criticism, stating: "The job of a manager is not to spend as much money as possible.
    Free

"To get (Marouane) Chamakh for free - instead of getting credit you get accused for getting him for free, 'Why did you not spend 20m for him?'
    "If I bought him two years ago for 20m it's OK. But when you get him for free it's, 'Oh, he didn't spend money'."
    Wenger went on to point towards the club's development of players from a young age, insisting that spending big is not always the answer.
    He said: "If I go out and buy players then Jack Wilshere doesn't come through.
    "So you cannot have everything and I know that and I'm long enough in the job to have a development policy to educate the players.
    Unbelievable

"Nobody else in the world develops as many players as this club.
    "Take the list of players who started here. Johan Djourou, where has he started? Here. Philippe Senderos - where did he start? Gael Clichy, Kieran Gibbs, Cesc Fabregas, Alex Song? All here.
    "Abou Diaby has basically never played before at the top level before here. Neither had Ashley Cole.
    "If you go back it's unbelievable the number of players who started at Arsenal.
    "You cannot buy every time you have an injured player."

Uploads

Spurs close on Khumalo deal

Redknapp has high hopes for African stopper

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has revealed that a deal to sign South Africa defender Bongani Khumalo is almost done.
    The 23-year-old had a successful trial at White Hart Lane in the summer and will complete his 1.5million move from South African side Supersports when the transfer window opens in January.
    His arrival will be a significant boost to Redknapp, who has seen Michael Dawson join fellow centre-back Jonathan Woodgate on the long-term injury list this season.
    "I think we've done a deal for him. We're in the process of doing a deal for him," said Redknapp.
    "He's not expensive. We had him over on trial and we like him.
    "He's got potential and we've got a tie up with the club Supersports so we've taken him on.
    "It will be a great chance for the kid. He's a great lad. He comes from a poor background and he's desperate for a chance and we're going to give him a chance."

Uploads

Caulker joins Robins on loan

Caulker farmed out to Bristol City on loan to continue development

Tottenham's highly-rated Steven Caulker has been allowed to join Bristol City on a season-long loan.
    The 18-year-old defender spent last term cutting his teeth at Yeovil in a similar arrangement and excelled.
    He made 46 appearances while at Huish Park and scooped four out of five of their end-of-season awards.
    Skysports.com revealed earlier this week that Caulker was set to become the latest Spurs player to go out on loan to the Championship.
    And it has now been confirmed that Bristol City have won the chase for signature.
    Caulker, who is an England Under-19 international, made his debut for Tottenham in the Carling Cup against Arsenal at White Hart Lane last week.