Thread: Latest Transfer Stories 02-10-10.

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Stories 02-10-10.

Harry - Bale is going nowhere

Spurs boss warns Mourinho to stay away from young star

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has assured Jose Mourinho he will not be whisking Gareth Bale away to Real Madrid.
    Reports in the media this week have suggested the Portuguese boss has the young Wales international on his radar for the January transfer window.
    However, Redknapp has made it very clear the 21-year-old is going nowhere.
    Speaking in his column in the The Sun, Redknapp said: "I read in the papers the other day that Gareth's performances for Spurs have already caught the attention of other teams around the world - including Real Madrid and their manager, a certain Jose Mourinho.
    "Jose certainly knows a player when he sees one. But one thing is for sure. I am not letting Gareth go anywhere.
    "Tottenham is a team on the up and we are building something at White Hart Lane.
    "Mourinho can enjoy watching Gareth all he likes but he will be going nowhere."
    Massive compliment

Bale, who can play on the left wing or at left-back, has enjoyed an impressive start to the current season, capped by a late goal in Spurs' 4-1 midweek triumph over FC Twente.
    Redknapp is delighted by the youngster's development, and has likened him to England and Chelsea star Ashley Cole, rated by many as the best left-back in the world.
    "I do not make comparisons lightly but he and Ashley Cole are quite similar and that can only be a massive compliment to Gareth," said Redknapp.
    "My left-back at Tottenham has come through an amazing 12 months and matured into one of the best players in his position in the world.
    "Just over a year ago, he had this awful jinx hanging over him where he had not played in a winning Spurs team.
    "Cole started out at Arsenal as a left-winger. Gareth was a left-winger as a lad too.
    "Now, I would say he and Ashley Cole are two of a kind in this country and the two best left-backs in England."
    He added: "The main difference between him and Ashley Cole is that he is Welsh - more's the pity.
    "I would go so far as to say that Gareth is the best player to come out of Wales since Ryan Giggs. As an Englishman, I am highly disappointed he is Welsh."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Stories 02-10-10.

Bayern target Shaqiri

German giants show interest in Basel starlet

Reigning Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich are reportedly chasing Swiss wonderkid Xerdan Shaqiri.
    The 18-year-old Basel star has already made quite an impression on last year's UEFA Champions League finalists following the meeting of the two clubs on Wednesday night.
    The Bavarians came out on top with a 2-1 win on the night, but Bayern chairman Uli Hoeness admitted the Germans were keen on the talented youngster.
    Head coach Louis van Gaal sees Shaqiri as the perfect addition to his squad as cover for Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben.
    However, Shaqiri's current contract with Basel runs until June 2014 and the Swiss giants have reportedly set a 6.5million asking price for him.
    The attacker has already been capped by Switzerland and scored his first international goal against England last month.
    Interest

Hoeness told Switzerland's Blick newspaper: "I am not sure if I am able to mention the name of a young player after the match against Basel that is of interest to us."
    Meanwhile, Van Gaal added: "If I said anything about the performance of the player, people would immediately suggest that we have an interest in the services of Shaqiri.
    "Therefore it is better for him and us as a club that I do not say anything about it, otherwise he would feel a huge pressure."
    Shaqiri has also been linked with clubs such as Liverpool, Arsenal, PSV Eindhoven and Hamburg in the past couple of months.

Uploads

Cordoba - I snubbed City

Inter defender rejected Mancini reunion

Inter Milan defender Ivan Cordoba has revealed how he turned down the opportunity to join Manchester City last season.
    The no-nonsense centre half was strongly linked with a move to Eastlands in the January transfer window following a spat with previous boss Jose Mourinho.
    However, the Colombian stopper, who previously played under Roberto Mancini at Giuseppe Meazza, confirmed he snubbed a tempting opportunity to rejoin the Italian.
    He told Inter Channel: "I was close to leaving Inter. There was a difficult period for me, I wanted so much to play because I felt in good form.
    "I had the chance to go to Manchester City last season, but I agreed with the club and the coach to continue to lend a hand to this team, as I always do and I am proud to have done it."
    Cordobo's decision to stay was justified as Inter went on to claim an unprecedented treble with victory in the Coppa Italia, UEFA Champions League and Serie A.
    "I thank those who helped me to make the best decision. Leaving Inter last season in which we carried many victories would have been a pity,"

Uploads

Miguel drops Liverpool hint

Portuguese ace reveals Reds admiration

Valencia full-back Miguel has hinted that he would relish a move to Liverpool.
    The Portuguese defender has revealed his admiration for the Merseyside club, who have recently signed his friend Raul Meireles.
    But the 30-year-old right-back insists he wants to win silverware with Valencia.
    "Liverpool are a team that I admire and I have a friend there now in Raul Meireles," Miguel told Superdeporte.
    "Liverpool have always been my favourite English team and I have a lot of passion for them.
    "I'm fine here and hope everything goes well for Valencia and we can win some trophies this year."

Uploads

Trio get Atletico reward

Reyes, Ujfalusi and Assuncao agree contract extensions

Jose Antonio Reyes, Tomas Ujfalusi and Paulo Assuncao have agreed contract extensions with Atletico Madrid.
    The new deals come after the trio were major contributors to the club's Europa League success over Fulham last term, while Atletico also reached the Copa del Rey final which they lost to Sevilla.
    Former Arsenal and Real Madrid winger Reyes, 27, who scored the opener in their 2-0 European Super Cup victory over Inter Milan in August, has signed a new deal to keep him at the Vicente Calderon Stadium until 2014.
    Czech defender Ujfalusi, 32, and Brazilian midfielder Assuncao, 30, have extended their contracts until 2013.

Uploads

Houllier confident over Young

New Villa boss hopeful on new deal for winger

Gerard Houllier is confident that Ashley Young will soon be signing a new contract.
    Young has two years left on his current deal, but he has been chased by Tottenham over the last 12 months.
    Villa rebuffed enquires from Spurs in the summer under previous boss Martin O'Neill and now new manager Houllier is confident a deal will be done.
    "The good news should come early, sooner rather than later," said Houllier ahead of this weekend's clash with Tottenham.
    "Ashley, to me, has international qualities. He is clever, reads the game well, works hard, is quick, has got quick feet, can score goals, make goals, takes part in movements to prepare goals.
    "Whether he can play for the national team is not down to me to say yes or no.
    "All I know is that we want the player to step up another level because he is on the fringe of the international team.
    "I want him to be a regular player (for England).
    "If you are happy with your game, you are not going to improve. You will stay at the same level and then some players will overtake you.
    "But his involvement and dedication to what he does at training is really a good sign for the future for him."
    Another one of Houllier's new chargers who has a contract issue is Nigel Reo-Coker.
    The midfielder has been recalled under Houllier, but he has only just been made aware that he has less than 12 months left on his current contract.
    "I didn't know Nigel was at the end of the contract (next summer)," said Houllier.
    "But I've been here two weeks, he has played two games. He is in the team.
    "It is too early to say whether he will sign a new contract or not but he brings something specific to the team which we needed.
    "I know he had problems with the previous manager but sometimes that happens."

Uploads

Alves offered new Barca deal

Spanish giants keen to keep Brazilian right-back until 2015

Barcelona have offered an improved three-year contract extension to Brazil international Dani Alves.
    The attacking right-back, who signed from Sevilla in 2008, was initially offered a new contract by former president Joan Laporta but turned it down due to his wage demands.
    However, new president Sandro Rossell has put together an improved offer, which is thought to include added incentives.
    Alves, capped 41 times by Brazil, is currently under contract until June 2012 and the Catalan club want to secure the 27-year-old's services until June 2015.
    There is still thought to be some distance between the two parties but Barca want a decision to be made by the end of the year.
    Coach Pep Guardiola recently said that "Alves is a key man in our game-plan".