Thread: Latest Transfer Stories 22-10-10.

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Stories 22-10-10.

Rooney staying with United

Striker ends uncertainty by agreeing new five-year deal

Ferguson and Rooney: United again

Wayne Rooney has agreed a new five-year deal at Manchester United to end days of feverish speculation over his future at Old Trafford.
    It was revealed by Sir Alex Ferguson on Tuesday that Rooney had refused to pen fresh terms and had stated his desire to leave the club.
    The England international, who would have been out of contract at the end of next season, confirmed that stance on Wednesday, releasing a statement questioning United's ambition.
    From there it appeared to be a foregone conclusion that he would on his way in the January transfer window, despite claims from Ferguson that the offer of a new deal still stood.
    Reports suggested that Real Madrid, Barcelona, Chelsea and even arch-rivals Manchester City were keen to raid United for their prized asset, with big-money bids believed to be in the pipeline.
    Intensity

However, talks between the United board, Ferguson and Rooney's representatives have continued for the last couple of days and an agreement has been thrashed out.
    Instead of bracing himself for an imminent departure, Rooney has now signed a new deal which will keep him at Old Trafford until the summer of 2015.
    An understandably delighted Ferguson, who never wanted to lose the 24-year-old frontman, told United's official website: "It's been a difficult week, but the intensity of the coverage is what we expect at Manchester United.
    "I said to the boy that the door is always open and I'm delighted Wayne has agreed to stay.
    "Sometimes, when you're in a club, it can be hard to realise just how big it is and it takes something like the events of the last few days to make you understand. I think Wayne now understands what a great club Manchester United is.
    "I'm pleased he has accepted the challenge to guide the younger players and establish himself as one of United's great players. It shows character and belief in what we stand for.
    "I'm sure everyone involved with the Club will now get behind Wayne and show him the support he needs to produce the performances we know he is capable of."
    Belief

Rooney has also spoken out, backtracking on his earlier statement by insisting that he is fully committed to the United cause and confident that he can enjoy many more years of success at Old Trafford.
    The forward, who celebrates his 25th birthday on Sunday, said: "I'm delighted to sign another deal at United.
    "In the last couple of days, I've talked to the manager and the owners and they've convinced me this is where I belong. I said on Wednesday the manager's a genius and it's his belief and support that have convinced me to stay.
    "I'm signing a new deal in the absolute belief that the management, coaching staff, board and owners are totally committed to making sure United maintains its proud winning history - which is the reason I joined the club in the first place.
    "I'm sure the fans over the last week have felt let down by what they've read and seen. But my position was from concern over the future. The fans have been brilliant with me since I arrived and it's up to me through my performances to win them over again."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Stories 22-10-10.

Jones extends Glovers stay

Last updated: 22nd October 2010

Norwich City midfielder Owain Tudur Jones has extended his loan spell at Yeovil Town by a further month.
    The 26-year-old has already spent two months at Huish Park and will now remain with the Glovers until November 27.
    Manager Terry Skiverton said: "Owain's form has been very good since he joined us and we are delighted that he and Norwich manager Paul Lambert have agreed to extend his loan."

Uploads

Inter admit Messi 'dream'

Nerazzurri chief says anything can happen in football

Messi: Would command big fee

Inter Milan chief executive Ernesto Paolillo admits the club still have a 'dream' to sign Lionel Messi.
    The 23-year-old Barcelona star continues to wow fans at the Camp Nou following a magnificent career with the Catalans to date.
    Serie A champions Inter have been linked with a move for the Argentina international, although the player is thought to be happy at Barca and would command a huge fee.
    Nerazzurri chief Paolillo admits Messi's price is currently too high, but would not rule out a move for the fleet-footed attacker in the future.
    He told Gazzetta dello Sport: "In January, we will take two players and two will go out.
    "Today Messi is a dream. His price is currently unattainable, but in football we have been accustomed to seeing everything."
    Meanwhile, Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola reaffirmed the fact that it would take a monumental bid to lure Messi away from the Spanish club.
    He told Mediaset Premium: "Messi is a player with massive quality, his performances are of a very high level.
    "Inter could take him if they give us 250million and convince Leo to leave Barcelona.
    "In football you never know, at the end the most important thing is the will of the player, but he says he doesn't want to go away."

Uploads

Sven considers Swedish raids

Eriksson has more targets in mind

Last updated: 22nd October 2010

Eriksson has wasted little time in bringing in a number of new faces since taking charge at the Walkers Stadium.
    Now it is believed that two Swedish forwards - John Guidetti and Deni Avdic - are on Eriksson's list of potential targets.
    The 18-year-old Guidetti is currently with Eriksson's former club Manchester City.
    And Eriksson was in charge of City when Guidetti was lured to Eastlands in 2008 from Brommapojkarna.
    Guidetti has been promoted to City's first-team squad this season and he made his debut in their Carling Cup defeat at West Bromwich Albion.
    A number of clubs are interested in taking the 18-year-old on loan, but so far City have rebuffed offers for his services.
    But Eriksson is now on his trail, and having raided his former club to sign Greg Cunningham on loan, he also now has his eyes trained on Guidetti.
    Another player on Eriksson's list is Elfsborg's Swedish international Avdic.
    The 22-year-old was a target for the likes of Blackburn, West Brom and Schalke earlier this year, but Elfsborg rejected their bids.
    Now Eriksson is considering a January move for Avdic, and with Leicester's Thai owners ready to back him in the transfer market he could very well persuade the striker to move to the Championship.

Uploads

Benzema committed to Real

French forward plays down exit rumours

By Chris Burton Last updated: 22nd October 2010

Karim Benzema has played down reports suggesting he and Wayne Rooney could swap clubs in January.
    In the wake of Wayne Rooney's announcement that he intends to leave Manchester United, transfer gossip has gone into overdrive.
    The England striker has been strongly linked with a move to Real Madrid, with the Spanish giants never afraid to splash the cash in order to land top talent.
    It has also been suggested that were Rooney to move to Santiago Bernabeu, that France international Benzema could move in the opposite direction.
    The former Lyon man insists he has no plans to leave Madrid any time soon, though, and is paying little attention to the mounting speculation.
    "It's only normal that players are linked to Real Madrid. This is a great team," Benzema told Punto Pelota.
    "Rooney and (Athletic Bilbao's Fernando) Llorente are very good, but my job is to work hard and play more.
    Integrated

"(Sir Alex) Ferguson is a fantastic coach, but I play for Real Madrid.
    "I feel more integrated now. My Spanish is better and I understand almost everything. I love Madrid."
    Benzema has struggled to hold down a regular role at Real this term, with coach Jose Mourinho openly criticising his attitude earlier in the season.
    The 22-year-old is convinced he can become an important part of the side, though, and insists he is working harder than ever to force his way back in.
    "I am working hard to earn more playing time," he said.
    "Once I play people will see what I am capable of. I am sure I will succeed with Real Madrid. I don't have a single doubt.
    "I have the mindset to play here. If I have to defend and run, I will. That is fine. I will work harder to play more and to prove to everyone that I am a good forward that can score a lot of goals and play pretty football."

Uploads

Barrios happy with Borussia

Paraguay international pledges future to Bundesliga club

By Thomas Zocher Last updated: 22nd October 2010

Lucas Barrios has stated his intent to remain with Borussia Dortmund, despite the reported interest of some of Europe's top clubs.
    Barrios joined Borussia at the start of the 2009/10 campaign, netting 19 goals in his debut German season.
    He has been strongly linked with a move to Manchester City, AC Milan and Rubin Kazan most recently, however the Paraguay international wants to remain at the club which he now calls home.
    "There is just one reason for me to to move away from this club: if the club is wanting to cash in for me," Barrios said.
    "If I have to leave Borussia Dortmund, I could do nothing about it. I have always said that Dortmund has become my home.
    "I want to remain at this club and try to be very successful with the club.
    "Offers from Manchester City, Milan and most recently Rubin Kazan will not allure me from this."

Uploads

Wenger has funds to spend

Gunners boss able to sign new players if needed

Wenger: Has funds to spend

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed he has funds available should he wish to strengthen his squad in the New Year.
    The French boss, speaking to shareholders at the club's AGM on Thursday, insists the club's hierarchy will back him if needed when the transfer window re-opens in January.
    The Gunners announced record pre-tax profits of 56million last month and Wenger has the cash available if he wants to add fresh faces in January.
    Arsenal were busy in the last transfer window having brought in Sebastien Squillaci, Laurent Koscielny and Marouane Chamakh over the summer.
    However, the club's long-serving manager is pleased with how things are progressing on the pitch and is happy to continue giving youngsters like Jack Wilshere the chance to stake a claim.
    Resources

"We have still resources available to bring one or two players in if needed in January," he told the club's official website.
    "But you have seen when you look at the other clubs it's fragile everywhere and they are in a situation where the players want to be at the top level.
    "We had some players going out in the summer and we have decided to give confidence to the young players at the club. Why? Because they have a special culture of playing the game and can integrate very quickly.
    "We brought Squillaci, Koscielny and Chamakh and all of them have integrated very well into the spirit of the squad. I think they will be great additions to the team. They are winners, they don't talk too much and they work very hard. So I believe in the transfer market we have done quite well.
    "We made it our aim to keep our group of players together because I feel they meet their needs here. They know they are close to something special. They want to do it and that's the challenge we have in front of us."