Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Stories 07-11-10.

Arrow Latest Transfer Stories 07-11-10.

Hughes hopeful on Schwarzer

Keeper in contract talks

Last updated: 6th November 2010

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is confident Mark Schwarzer will pledge his future to the club and sign a new deal at Craven Cottage.
    Schwarzer's future has been the subject of speculation for some time with the Australian unhappy with the club after they blocked a possible move to Arsenal in the summmer.
    The former Middlesbrough keeper's contract expires at the end of the season and he has been tipped to leave on a free transfer.
    However, Hughes believes Schwarzer is coming round to the idea of signing a new contract to stay at Fulham.
    "We've been talking with Mark in recent weeks and, hopefully, we'll soon have some good news about his future," said Hughes.
    "We are confident he is going to be our keeper."

Re: Latest Transfer Stories 07-11-10.

Martinez expects N'Zog reports

Wigan boss braced for fresh speculation over winger's future

Wigan Athletic manager Roberto Martinez is braced for fresh speculation surrounding Charles N'Zogbia's future.
    The France international was strongly linked with a move away from the DW Stadium in the summer, but ultimately remained at the club.
    N'Zogbia has been in decent form of late, scoring three goals in all competitions this season, leading to suggestions that Juventus, Liverpool and Marseille are monitoring his situation.
    And Martinez said in The Sun: "The speculation about him is going to continue until January, but Charles is a Wigan player.
    "There are players who are going to bring in interest from other parties and they are going to have a valuation in the market.
    "If a team matches the value, you are going to have to consider that."

Gunners in Clichy talks

Wenger confirms club are keen to extend left-back's contract

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has revealed that the club are in discussions with Gael Clichy over extending the left-back's contract.
    The France international joined the Gunners from Cannes in 2003 and has since made over 200 appearances for the club.
    Clichy inked a new 'long-term' contract in 2008, but Wenger is keen to prolong his current terms.
    Wenger said in the Mirror: "We are working on it at the moment. I'm hopeful, yes, because the players want to stay."
    The 25-year-old Clichy is Arsenal's last remaining member of the 'Invincibles' squad, which went unbeaten in the 2003/04 Premier League season.

Carew hits out at Houllier

Striker reportedly angry at manager's comments about proving worth

John Carew has hit back at Aston Villa manager Gerard Houllier's challenge to the striker to prove he deserves a new contract.
    The Norway international's current deal at Villa Park expires at the end of the season, and talks over an extension have yet to begin.
    Houllier intended to give Carew a run of games in the side in a bid to give him a chance to prove his worth, until he was ruled out for around a month with a calf problem.
    The French coach said: "John is at the end of his contract and it is an opportunity to express what he wants - whether he wants to stay at the club or whether he wants to go somewhere else.
    "In both cases, I would say he has got to be at his best to put himself in the shop window."
    Carew has reportedly responded angrily to the comments, claiming that Houllier has demonstrated a lack of respect.
    VG quote the 31-year-old as saying: "If he wants me to fight for a contract, he should speak to me directly and not through the media.
    "This is disrespectful to me and to the fans who sing my name week in week out."

Rodriguez eyes Clarets deal

Burnley-born star ready to sign new contract

Burnley striker Jay Rodriguez is close to agreeing a new contract with the Championship side.
    The 21-year-old forward has attracted the attention of England U21 boss Stuart Pearce after scoring three goals for the Clarets this season and could earn an inclusion in Pearce's squad for the friendly in Germany on 16th November.
    A month ago, boss Brian Laws revealed the club had started talks over extending his stay on an improved contract and with the Burnley-born star enjoying his best run in the side he is ready to commit his future to his hometown club.
    Laws told the Lancashire Telegraph: "Things are moving rapidly forward.
    "We're hoping to make an announcement on that very shortly."

Bastian won't be pressured

Lahm's extension will not influence Schweinsteiger

Bastian Schweinsteiger has insisted that Philipp Lahm's decision to sign a new contract with Bayern Munich will have no influence on whether he opts to extend his own contract.
    Lahm has agreed to stay at the club until 2016 and it is the future of Schweinsteiger that has now come under the microscope.
    The midfielder's current contract does not expire for almost two years but he has previously admitted that he could be tempted by a move elsewhere.
    Reports have suggested that Real Madrid are interested in bringing in Schweinsteiger and Bayern are determined to tie him to fresh terms.
    However, the 26-year-old maintains that he will take his time to decide on his next move and will not be swayed by what Lahm has done.
    "The fact Philipp has decided to extend his contract plays no role in my decision," Schweinsteiger told Bild.
    "I will not let me put myself under pressure."
    Last week, Schweinsteiger hinted he would be happy to extend his contract and Bayern president Uli Hoeness has said the German giants are set to offer him a deal.
    "We will not be mean, because we know precisely the importance he has for us," said Hoeness.

Top clubs eye Pogrebnyak

Pool and Spurs target Russian striker

Premier League giants Liverpool and Tottenham have reportedly joined the growing list of clubs interested in signing striker Pavel Pogrebnyak.
    The Russia international joined Bundesliga outfit Stuttgart last year, scoring 11 times in 35 appearances for Die Roten and is contracted to the club until 2012.
    However, head coach Fredi Bobic admits that he has known of the interest for the former Zenit St Petersburg forward for some time, but has no intention of letting the 26-year-old leave.
    With Reds boss Roy Hodgson keen to strengthen his attacking options in the January window, Pogrebnyak would prove to be a key signing with injuries to Fernando Torres and Dirk Kuyt exposing a threadbare front-line in the past month.
    Hodgson has reportedly been promised 30million from new owners NESV to spend in 2011 and the striker would command a fee in the region of 12million.
    A move to Spurs, meanwhile, would see Pogrebnyak link up with his Russian team-mate Roman Pavlyuchenko.
    Bobic told Bild newspaper: "I have been listening to rumours that Liverpool and Tottenham have their eyes on Pavel.
    "It's a fact. However, none of these clubs have been talking to us about him lately. He is a player of VfB Stuttgart."

Bardsley agrees new deal

Defender to sign three-and-half-year deal understands Sunderland defender Phil Bardsley has agreed a new deal at the Stadium of Light.
    Bardsley's previous deal was due to expire at the end of the season and it was feared he could leave on a free transfer next summer.
    A number of clubs, including Newcastle, Stoke, Blackburn and West Brom were all thought to be waiting in the wings to sign Bardsley if he became available.
    However, Sunderland have moved to offer the former Manchester United man fresh terms to keep him on Wearside
    Bardsley has impressed in recent weeks after winning his place in Steve Bruce's side in a left-back role and his form was rewarded with a call-up to the Scotland squad for last month's Euro 2012 qualifier with Spain.
    The 25-year-old has agreed terms on a new three-and-a-half year extension and he is expected to put pen-to-paper on the contract early next week.

Carlo rejects Pato talk

Blues boss not targeting Rossoneri ace

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has ruled out bringing AC Milan striker Alexandre Pato to Stamford Bridge.
    Brazil international Pato, who arrived at Milan in 2007, was strongly linked with a move to Chelsea in the summer having worked under Ancelotti at the San Siro.
    However, while acknowledging Pato's talent, Italian boss Ancelotti insists the 21-year-old is no longer on his radar.
    "He misses only continuity," Ancelotti told Italia Uno. "But you cannot ask for any more from him (in terms of) talent.
    "However, he will not come to Chelsea."

Gomis had Fener option

Lyon striker turned down the opportunity to head to Turkey

Bafetimbi Gomes has revealed that he came close to joining Fenerbahce during the summer transfer window.
    The France international only moved to Stade Gerland in July 2009, but has struggled to make an impact during his time with the Ligue 1 giants.
    A lack of first-team activity, as he was regularly forced to play back-up to Lisandro Lopez, left him frustrated and forced him to consider his options.
    He was given the opportunity to join Fenerbahce after they saw a bid accepted by Lyon, but Gomis chose to snub a switch to Turkey.
    The 25-year-old is convinced he can do a job for his current employers and insists he remains fully committed to the cause.
    He is, however, aware that his current run in the side is only due to an injury to Lisandro and admits he could be back on the bench in the not too distant future.
    "I am not a number two and I will never accept being a number two," Gomis told L'Equipe.
    "I am a player who is part of the squad and I want to play. I have always worked hard for the team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast