Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help with tm2600 motor please.

Uploads

Re: help with tm2600 motor please.

Yes 60cm is too small for 26E. You're on the edge of the footprint for that bird already in London, so you probably need something closer to 1m dish to get it. FYI your dishpointing instructions above are somewhat flawed, and that could account for why you don't get some satellites.....I can elaborate over PM if you like, but if you're happy with your setup, it's all good!

Thank you ebbhead for your advice. I will be changing my dish to a 1m one in the new year. I have noticed that on some satellites like TURKSAT i don't get all the channels ie RUSTAVI 2 and 1TV GEORGIA. I think this is because the dish is too small. Please confirm if this is true. As regards my dish pointing i appreciate that the dish elevation and azimuth need to be more or less spot on to track the arc. Maybe i was lucky to obtain the correct signal from THOR the way i did and then tighten the nuts and bolts. One of the annoying things about the TM5400 i found when i first got it is that nearly all the channels from all the satellites were missing. At the time i had the dish fixed on Hotbird so i was able to scan the channels in. Then i decided to buy a motor and before buying one i did the following actions. 1) Brought a copy of WHAT SATELLITE magazine. I found this magazine very helpful indeed. It gave me info regarding the current channels for each satellite, dish sizes required and position of each satellite from east to west etc. 2) I took my dish down from the garage roof. Took the dish, receiver and a small tv to the front of my house ( i did not bother with a satellite meter as i think they are a waste of time and money unless you are a professional). 3) Using spare coax cable connected between dish and receiver i then had the dish on the floor and searched for the satellites one by one from TURKSAT (42EAST) to HISPASAT (30 WEST). When i found a satellite i put a chair behind the dish to stop it moving away and then i scanned for the channels. I also did a blind search on each satelitte found. 4) When all available satellites for my dish size were found and scanned i was then able to see how many satellites i would be able to pickup before buying a motor. As already mentioned you need time and patience if you are thinking of doing what i did but it can be a lot of fun and rewarding but remember to always have your safety in mind. Regards.

Uploads

Your welcome. You definitely did things "the hard way", but if you enjoyed it that's fine. You might want to check out http://en.kingofsat.net or http://www.flysat.com These two sites will give you all the info whatever magazine you bought will, and it's updated daily and best of all, FREE! it'll keep you updated on new/changed channels across the arc.

Yes you're not getting those channels most likely because you need a larger dish, again closer to a 1m dish. They look like they are on weaker transponders. You may be able to pick them up at certain times of the day/night....I've had this happen with a few transponders on Astra 1 in the past. Best bet is to get that larger dish!

Dear ebbhead you know that if everything in life was simple it would be boring. By doing it the hard way i not only enjoyed myself but also more important i learned a lot about the way that satellites and receivers work. I look forward to the new year when i will get a bigger dish. May i wish you all the best for the festive season. Regards.

For those of you that are interested i changed my dish from 60cm to 1m. i am now able to pick up the ARABSAT BADR sat at 26 EAST. Also i got more channels on some other sats like TURKSAT. My advice would be that if you intend to motorize your system and get maximum benefits use at least a 1m dish. Regards to all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12