Thread: #Logging with FunMagic.

Talking #Logging with FunMagic.

This page was copied from Duwgati's site with his permission:
    Enjoy, Bill & the funFiles Team.
    Part 1
    Logging with FunMagic Logging Data with a Funcard.

One of the great features of FunMagic, is the possibility to use the funcard as a simple logger.
    I haven't been able to get my card to log any data.
    Whether this is a problem of the configuration I am running here, or if it's due to the data that I use to log, I don't know.
    It seems though that I am only one of few people that have a problem getting any log results.
    So I need to find out why my log is failing.
    In the mean time I have used Adrians external eeprom for this manual.
    Luckily his log was filled:)

For the sake of this tutorial, I assume that you have enabled the FunMagic log function.
    If that's not the case, see Part 2.

Open your COM-port and connect to your card in Phoenix mode.
    If you don't know how, then see Part 3.

Click on"Fred's" icon to read the external eeprom from your card via the Phoenix interface.
    In the pop up screen click "Start".

If, at the end of the read process, you notice the word "LOG" appearing on the "Number of bytes read" line, then there is a log available on the card. If you only see a certain number of bytes read, then your log is empty.

Press "Exit" and then press "Logs Tool" jsut below the menu bar.

On a 'normal' funcard-2 with the 64K external Eeprom, there is room for approx. 180 EMMs.
    That resembles about 5 - 10 min. of logging, depending on what you are looking at, i.e. which channel, PPV or not, etc.

Your log s cleared b.t.w. upon every reset of your receiver or card.
    So extracting and re-inserting your card empties the log.

OK then, you'll notice a log screen with all logged data in it.
    I will explain all functions (icons) from left to right.

But first the main screen itself:
    When you click a INStruction in the log, you will notice an explanation of that specific INStruction at the bottom of the window.

In the small window area at the bottom right, you can browse all the Nano's that where used in the specific selected INStruction.
    Underneath that area there are 2 lines containing some global information:
    - a general description of the INStruction type
    - the status of the INStruction

The "Export" icon:
    If you like, you can save the logged data in a file.
    Just click the "Export" icon.
    In the popup window you can enter some additional comments.
    Now click "Export" and a file will be created.

If you want to creat a library of log files, you will need to rename the log files first.
    FunMagic will allways save the log file under the name "Phoenix.txt".
    The file is created in the same folder where your FunMagic.exe is stored b.t.w.

The "Erase" icon:
    Clicking this icon will not immediately remove the logged data from your card.
    Only upon saving the changes you made, will the new data be written to the card.
    So if you wipe the log, you need to write those changes to the card before they will take effect.

The "INStructions" icon:
    When you select a specific line from the log and then click the "INStruction" icon, specific information about that INS will be shown in a popup window.
    In this example down here, you can see that this line contained a message from the card. So this must have been an answer, requested by the CAM.
    The INS involved was 3A, with parameters P1 & P2 (both 00) and the answer containing 10 bytes.
    For an explanation of the exact meaning of this INS and all of its associated Nano's, please read the Seca pages in the Coding section.

There are 2 important INStructions that have received special attention in FunMagic:
    - "C1 40 xx 80 5x"
    - "C1 40 xx 81 4E"
    Those of you having any experience in WallBanger (or any other logger software) will recognize this.

What pupose does "C1 40 xx 80 5x" serve:
    Let's assume you have logged a "C1 40 01 80 54" EMM. You can then decode that INStruction further by clicking "Decode ins C1 40 xx 80 5x".
    By the way, EMM "C1 40 01 80 54" is used to change the Package Bit Map (PBM) of your card.

What pupose does "C1 40 xx 81 4E" serve:
    If you have logged a "C1 40 01 81 4E" EMM. You can then decode that INStruction further by clicking "Decode ins C1 40 xx 81 4E".
    The EMM "C1 40 01 81 4E" is used to distribute information to cards covered by a valid subscription.
    Decoding this INStruction will show you which Operational Keys and which Customer Word Pointers (CWP) are active.
    But it will allso show you when the current subscription will end.

The "Search" icon:
    This one speaks for itself I assume.
    You can search for specific INStructions.

The "Filter" icon:
    This feature allows you to filter your log list, thus showing only a selection of INStructions.
    So if for instance you would like to see INS 3A only, click "Cancel all filters" and then check "Select instruction 3A".
    Then click "Apply filter" and your list will show lines contaning INS 3A only.

The "Reload Log" icon:
    If you have made changes to the log, you can reload the log from your card, provided you have not yet written the changes to your card.
    So as long as the changes are made in memory only, you can return to the original list.

The "Send to Phoenix" icon:
    This procedure is identical to the procedure explained here: Manipulate your card through a Phoenix Interface.
    Click this icon and a popup window will open, allowing you to communicate with your card directly.

If you have not yet established contact with the Phoenix interface, please do so now:
    - Click "Open Port"
    - Click "Reset"

You can select any number of INStructions from the small window area at the top left "Instructions captured".
    These INStructions can now be executed again manually to see what effect they have on your card.
    This is really educational stuff:)

Pick your selection of INStructions and click "Send instruction".
    Notice the INStructions being executed.
    The small window area in the left middle of the screen will show the INStructions as they are sent to the card.
    On the right side of the screen, the complete communication is shown in more detail.
    So both questions and answers are shown on the right.

The "Events" icon:
    This function is meant to log PPV events in order to buy them later.
    As you can see, my log did not contain any PPV events, so I cannot show the exact working of this function.
    But if you have captured any PPV events in your log, you canm then buy them.

This is how the PPV events screen looks.
    Sorry that I cannot tell/show you more about it now.
    As soon as I have a sample log containing PPV events, I will complete this description.

The "PPUA" icon:
    Same story here, sorry.
    As you can see, the log that I had didn't contain any PPUA related INStructions.
    So I cannot tell you more about it until I have had a chance to test it myself.

Re: #Logging with FunMagic.

Part 2
    Programming the External Eeprom with a Phoenix Interface.

If your card has been completely programmed before and you only want to update the external Eeprom, you don't have to rewrite the whole card again. If you have a Phoenix interface, you can update the external Eeprom only. You can even choose whether you want to rewrite the whole external Eeprom or only update the changed parts.

If you have not saved all changes yet, then do so now. Save the changes to a file.
    Make sure you have loaded a external eeprom.
    You can tell if you have done that allready, by looking at the supported providers.
    If the provider area of the screen is empty, you haven't loaded the external Eeprom file yet.

Now click "Configuration" in the menu bar and select "Phoenix".

A popup window will be opened.
    In that window you can edit the configuration settings for the Com port, your Phoenix interface is connected to.
    Just edit the configuration until it fits your situation.
    Click "Open Port".
    Now the "Reset" button should become active.
    Click "Reset" now.

You'll notice the ATR-string of your card being requested.
    If the communication is OK, the ATR will be displayed like in the screenshot below.

Now click the "Wilma" icon to write the selected external Eeprom data to the card.

As you can see, the popup window informs you about the progress of the programming process.

If the external Eeprom is programmed successfully, a popup window will inform you about that.
    Click the "OK" button.

Just for purpose of verification, you can see how many providers were involved and how many bytes it took.
    Now press "Exit".

That's all, as far as programming is concearned.

But there is more....

Part 3
    Importing data from MKFind into FunMagic:
    So make sure you have your MKF log prepared for this one.
    Start the program and you should see a screen like the one down here.
    Click on "Edit External Eeprom", just below the menu bar.

Now your screen should look like this down here.
    Click on the "2 masks" icon in order to start importing data from another application.

In- & Output formats supported by FunMagic
    You'll notice the "Import Data" screen popping up.
    The "Import Data" screen allows you to determine a number of different input file formats.
    Take your pick, depending on what you've used previously i.e. an original subscription card or a cloned one.
    In this example, I assume you have an original subscription card and have prepared a MKF log from its data.
    Next you have a choice from 2 different output formats, i.e. FoM or Secom.
    You'll find a zip file called "" in the FunMagic folder in the download archive.
    The zip file contains empty files only.
    Just create your own external eeprom file in FoM 1.x format, using your MKF log and you have a fully functional funcard.

OK then, on we go.
    Click on "01 ---> MKFind_4x" and click the "Open" button on the source line.
    From the File Select screen, pick your MKF log file.

Select your output file the same way:
    Tick the desired output file format (in this example I use FoM 1.x).
    Then click the "Open" button on the target line and type a name for the external eeprom file you want to create.
    In this example I chose "My_MKF_Ext_eep.hex".

Next, when the Source- and Destination files have been named, click the "Import" button in the lower left corner of the "Import Data" screen.
    FunMagic will now read your MKF log file and if no errors are encountered, it will pop up a screen telling you so.
    Just click OK to continue.

Known issues you should be aware of

The MKF log issue:
    There is a possibility that your data will not be imported correctly. This is due to the fact that the MKF log isn't allways saved in the same way. It just depends on the amount of data, stored in the MKF log really. So allways check the data after import. Not only the Seca provider, but all channel providers as well.
    The Seca startup record:
    Then there is a small compatibility problem between MKF and FM that will cause your card to fail if you don't correct it. The Seca startup record in your MKF log contains 10 bytes only. FunMagic expects 11 bytes though. That's why, after importing your MKF log, you will probably have a Seca startup record identical to the one from your MKF log, but with an extra byte (containing FF) added at the end. You need to edit this by hand. Just copy & paste bytes 1 thru 10 to make them bytes 2 thru 11. Then edit the first byte and make it 01. So when you're done, your Seca startup record should look like this:
    01 xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx
    instead of this:
    xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx xx FF.

Have a look at these 2 screenshots down here.

OK then, let's go on.
    Your screen should look similar to the one up here.
    Check if all data was imported correctly (UA, PBM, RC etc.).
    Check if the "UA" and the "Serial N." fileds match.

Check all of your channel providers as well.

Now click the "wizzard" icon, to enter the "Special Menu".

Some special logging functions
    FunMagic supports the use of Masks, to filter out specific INStructions.
    3 diggerent MAKS can be specified: A, B & C.
    Some samples:
    Mask A: C1 40 01 81 49 - Will only let the cw update pass
    Mask B: C1 0E 00 00 08 - Will only let the serial number pass
    Mask C: C1 16 00 00 07 - Will only let the supported number of providers pass

Below, you see the "Special Menu".
    You are advised to change some of the default values:
    - Tick the option "Auto Log" to turn on the cards internal log function
    - Remove the check mark from the "AutoPPV" option
    - Set Masks B & C to all 00, unless you want to filter out a specific INStruction

If you are using a PCB type funcard, then it will probably contain a few LEDs.
    The function for those LEDs can be determined as follows:
    - Don't use the LEDs
    - Show which key is in use
    - Show what provider is active

After having set all special functions as you require, click "Update" to store the changes.
    Next click "Exit" to leave the "Special Menu".

All modifications you have just made, need to be written to the card of course.
    These special functions are stored in the external Eeprom.
    To save the changes to a file first, click on the anchor icon.

Select the External Eeprom file in which you want to store the changes and press "Save".

The Blacklist or Intelligent Bytes.
    This is the last piece of the software I have not yet finished.
    But I am working on it, so check back later.

Part 4
    Programming the card with a Fun programmer.

I'm not sure if it should be possible to get FunMagic to work with a Fun programmer under Windows 2000 Professional, but I haven't been able to get it operational. I have the exact same problem with Funprom b.t.w. and that should be able to work, according to the Funprom authors. So it could have something to do with my configuration here.
    So for this occasion, I have used a Windows 98 PC, that works great.

Of course, you can allso use other software like ChipCat, CardWriter, CardPro etc. to program your card.
    It all depends on the programmer you use.
    There is one big advantage though if you are using FunMagic: it will allow you to program Funcards 3 & 4 (with 128 & 256kb external Eeproms)

To define the type of card you have, you need to go into the "Apollo Configuration".
    Click "Configuration" from the menu bar and select "Apollo".
    A popup window will open, allowing you to define the eeprom size on your card.
    You will need to do this configuration, even if you are going to program the external Eeprom via the Phoenix interface method.

Before you can start programming your card, you will of course need to tell FunMagic which files you want to put on your card.
    So press "Open" (Flash File) and select your Flash file.

Do the same with the External Eeprom.

And with the Internal Eeprom.

If you have loaded all 3 files, you are ready to program the card.
    Click the "Snail" icon to start programming.

On the right hand side of the screen, you can check out the progress of the stages of the programming process.
    Each correctly finished stage will produce a pint of beer in the right margin:)
    A popup window will appear at the end of the proces if the programming was successfull.

Talking Re: #Logging with FunMagic.

Part 5

Manipulate your card through a Phoenix Interface.

FunMagic has some really nice features to offer.
    One of those features is the ability to "talk" to your card by using Seca INStructions.
    So, like with MKFind, you can control your card directly with FunMagic.
    You will need a Phoenix interface though.

OK then, switch your programmer to Phoenix mode and open the COM port.
    If you don't know how to do that, click here for an explanation.
    When you have done all that, your screen should look like the one down here.
    Now click the "Logs Tool" button, just below the menu bar.

Below you see the empty FunMagic log window.
    As an example, I am now going to work out the example as described on the Seca page in the Coding chapter.
    In other words, we are going to ask the card 3 questions:
    - What is the serial number"
    - How many providers are supported??
    - What is the name of provider 00??

OK then, let's do it.
    Click the Mask icon (Send to Phoenix).

In the popup window that is now opened, click "Open Port" followed by "Reset".
    I take it for granted that you know something about standard smart card communication behaviour.
    So it will come as no surprise to you that the card will start with making itself known by sending the ATR.

If your card has responded to the reset with the correct ATR, the communication may be started.
    So first we are going to request the serial number from the card.
    All INStructions to do this can be found in the Coding chapter -> Seca page.

In Seca, the INStruction "C1 0E 00 00 08" is used to request the serial number.
    So type in this INS in the left middle area of the communication window and click "Send instruction".
    First the question is 'echoed' in the large log screen.
    The answer from the card will appear immediately after that.

As you can see in this example, the serial number is "00 07 5B CD".
    Every answer is allways closed with the status of the reply.
    In this case, the status is "90 00" which means "OK" in Seca.

Well then, let's ask the card how many providers are supported.
    Type in the INStruction "C1 16 00 00 07" and press "Send instruction".
    Now the card answers "00 1F" followed by the status "90 00" or "OK".

If you look back, there were 5 providers on this card, so how come that the answer is "00 1F"??
    Well, as explained on the Seca page, that is just simple arithmatic.
    In fact it's no more than just converting Hex to Bin and counting bits aftwards.

Let's work out this example then:

Start the Windows Calculator.
    Tick the option "Hex".
    Now enter the value that the card replied: "1F".

Tick the option "Bin".
    And voila, there is your binairy answer: "11111".
    Now just count the number of 1s and you have got your answer.
    There are 5 1s in this answer, so that means 5 providers on the card.
    It really is that easy:)

All clear so far??
    If not, just go over this again and try reading/understanding the Seca page too.
    Reading and playing is the best way to master this technology.
    But I will asume that this is still easy enough for everybody to understand.
    So let's continue with our 3rd question: "the name for provider 00".

Type in the appropriate INStruction "C1 12 00 00 19" and click "Send instruction".
    As was to be expected, the answer is again in hexadecimal notation.
    So in order to be able to read the answer (the name) we need to translate from HEX to ASCII.

Well then, let's decipher the name.
    - 53 is a capital S.
    - 45 is a capital E.

Haven't got a ASCII tabel at hand??
    No problem, just get your Windows calculator again.

Start the Windows Calculator.
    Tick the option"Hex".
    Enter the hex codes byte by byte, so first start with "53".

Now tick the option "Dec".

Start Notepad.
    Keep the "Alt" key pressed while at the same time you enter (on the numeric keypad) the calculated decimal value.
    You need to use the numeric keypad for entering the decimal value.
    Now release the "Alt" key and the ASCII character is visible in your Notepad window, in this case an "S".
    Repeat this for all the Hex bytes found, and you have the name.

That's all I have to tell you about it.
    Have fun ;)