Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 22-02-11.

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 22-02-11.

Latest Transfer Update at 22-02-11.

Mourinho - still loves Chelsea.

Jose Mourinho has told Sky Sports that he remains in "love" with former employers Chelsea.
    The Real Madrid coach has three years left on his current deal with the Spanish giants, but speculation has increased in recent weeks linking him with a sensational switch back to Stamford Bridge.
    Amid reports current Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti is on borrowed time, Mourinho admits you cannot rule anything out in football.
    Asked if he would see out his contract at the Bernabeu, he told Revista De La Liga he said: "I don't know. I love Chelsea.
    "I was the happiest man [when there]. I was thinking to be there all my life and a few months later, I was out. So you never know.
    "In Inter Milan I found an incredible family. Then after two years I felt it was over.
    "When I sign a contract, I sign with the intention to respect the contract and be happy."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 22-02-11.

David Beckham - could return to Tottenham.

David Beckham's six-week training spell with Tottenham came to an end yesterday but if Harry Redknapp has his way, the former England skipper could be back at the club later this year.
    Beckham had hoped to turn out for Spurs when he began has training spell with the club last month but negotiations between the Los Angeles Galaxy and Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy broke down.
    The 35-year-old will return to the United States later this week in what is expected to be his last season in Major League Soccer.
    His contract is up in November and Redknapp has been so impressed with the midfielder's contribution that he would welcome him back with open arms.
    When asked whether he thought Beckham would be open to a return to the club, the 63-year-old replied: "Yes, I think he would like to see what the future holds for him - he's a busy lad, his life must be unbelievable, but when you get a lad who wants to come here and train every day when he could be sitting at home having a month's rest, it tells you everything about him. He loves football.
    "He's been great to have around the place and he's just a top-class bloke, a proper good lad. He's welcome back any time.
    "He can still play, he still pick a pass out. I've not looked into bringing him back in November - the chairman would need to look at that, I don't know what the financial side of it would be - I wouldn't have a clue how much it would cost."
    Redknapp takes his patched-up side to Blackpool tonight hoping to leapfrog Manchester City into third position.
    Spurs have seamlessly taken to the task of juggling domestic and European commitments this year, beating AC Milan and Inter Milan to get within touching distance of the last eight in what is their first appearance in the Champions League.
    Redknapp's spending has been small in comparison to rivals Manchester City and Chelsea and that, the Spurs boss insists, means that the club should see qualification for next year's competition as a bonus rather than a necessity.
    "It would be a miracle if we did qualified," Redknapp said.
    "I think people get carried away thinking Tottenham should be in the Champions League. Why should we be in the Champions League?
    "We'd never been in the Champions League before, suddenly we do it and it's 'oh well we should do it again'.
    "Look at Man City and Chelsea's wage bill. Have a look at the money they pay out. Why should we finish above them?
    "If you'd have asked me at the start of the year, I'd have put my life on City with the strength they've got with Tevez, Dzeko and Balotelli.
    "Then I would have said Man United and Arsenal were nailed on and Chelsea too so I think that if we make the top four it'll be a fantastic achievement for the players."

Samir Nasri - wants to win trophies with Arsenal.

Samir Nasri is happy to put contract talks with Arsenal on hold until the end of the season and believes the 'time is now' to win a trophy.
    France international Nasri has been one of Arsenal's most influential performers this term as the club seek to secure silverware for the first time since 2005.
    His form has seen the 23-year-old linked with a move to UEFA Champions League opponents Barcelona and Nasri only has a further season to run on his current contract.
    The midfielder's agent recently suggested that he would be willing to extend his stay at Emirates Stadium and Nasri certainly does not want to leave the club until he has collected a winners' medal.
    "We promised each other to speak about this subject after the season ends," Nasri told Sport magazine.
    "One of the reasons I came to Arsenal was to win titles and I'm not expecting to leave without one."
    Nasri admits he is flattered to be linked with other clubs, but stressed he is happy to be part of Arsene Wenger's team, who will face Birmingham City in the Carling Cup final on Sunday.
    He added: "I'm always flattered when my name is mentioned in connection with any big club.
    "But I also know how things work. I don't think about these things. If there was any offer it would be different, then I would have to make a choice.
    "As things are right now, I feel happy here and I have the confidence from the manager.
    "But things can change quickly in football and then we could have a new situation.
    "It takes time for a team to develop into a winning side, but I think the time is right now."

Patrice Evra - pledged future to Manchester United.

Manchester United defender Patrice Evra has put pen to paper on a contract extension to keep him at Old Trafford until 2014 - and remains as hungry as ever for medals.
    The 29-year-old has already helped United land three Premier League titles, a Champions League, plus three League Cups - the last of which he lifted after skippering the team to victory over Aston Villa last year.
    And, with his future now secure, Evra is adamant his desire for silverware has not been satisfied yet.
    "Ever since I arrived at United, it's been a dream come true playing here," he said.
    "The fans, the players, the manager and the staff all work hard to make this club the best in the world.
    "I have won a lot in the last five years, but I want to win more and I know that's the mentality of everyone here."
    Evra has established himself as one of the world's top left-backs since his 5million arrival from Monaco in 2006.
    He has always been a popular figure amongst the United support and his occasional bizarre outbursts - he recently claimed Arsenal was a fabulous football centre but mocked their inability to win trophies - have only reinforced that view.
    His links to Monaco will make him a hate figure amongst the Marseille support when United head to the south of France for Wednesday's Champions League encounter with Didier Deschamps' men.
    But Sir Alex Ferguson has no fears about Evra handling the abuse and, at a time when the most experienced members of his squad are beginning to end their careers, reckons the defender's influence will become more apparent.
    "Patrice is unquestionably one of the world's best left-backs," said the Scot.
    "He has developed into a key character in the dressing room and it is great that he has committed himself to the club.
    "His experience and skill will be increasingly important to us."

Carlo Ancelotti - will not quit Chelsea.

Carlo Ancelotti has insisted he will never quit Chelsea, claiming Roman Abramovich must decide whether or not he should be sacked.
    Ancelotti is under more pressure than ever at Stamford Bridge following Saturday's shock FA Cup defeat to Everton.
    It left Chelsea's season in real danger of unravelling completely, with the Premier League title all but surrendered and Champions League qualification hanging in the balance.
    Their only remaining hope of silverware is also the latter competition, which they resume on Tuesday night when they visit FC Copenhagen in the last 16.
    Defeat in that tie would surely test billionaire owner Abramovich's patience to what could be breaking point.
    But even if the unthinkable were to happen, manager Ancelotti will not jump before he is pushed.
    Asked if he would ever consider resigning, the Italian said: "No, not me.
    "I don't have to consider my position. It is the owner that has to consider my position, not myself."
    Ancelotti enjoyed the backing of Abramovich at the end of 2010 after overseeing the club's worst run in the league for almost 15 years.
    A mini-revival followed but the past fortnight has witnessed another calamitous run of results.
    Luiz Felipe Scolari was sacked two years ago when Abramovich began to fear Champions League qualification would not be achieved and Chelsea are in an even worse position now, lying fifth in the Premier League.
    Winning the double in his maiden season has arguably bought Ancelotti the opportunity to try to end the club's long wait for Champions League glory.
    And he maintains that, despite recent results, fulfilling Abramovich's long-held dream is still possible.
    "The Champions League is not easy, but it will bring a lot of motivation for every one of us," said the Italian, who acknowledged his job would ultimately depend on improving Chelsea's flagging fortunes.
    "We have to have the right pressure. We have to play against Copenhagen. We have 180 minutes to win this game."
    He added boldly: "Chelsea won't go out against Copenhagen. I think we have the possibility to win against Copenhagen."
    Urging his players to "stay together", Ancelotti insisted Saturday's performance against Everton was "good".
    The Blues certainly wasted enough chances to win comfortably but there was also something missing from their play.
    Ancelotti claimed John Obi Mikel and Michael Essien are not 100 per cent fit and admitted only John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic are currently playing to the top of their game.
    Everton had also been struggling to find their form prior to Saturday and also seemed to lose their never-say-die attitude in their previous match at Bolton.
    But it returned in dramatic fashion at Stamford Bridge, with Leighton Baines' free-kick cancelling out Frank Lampard's goal in the 119th minute.
    The full-back then missed the visitors' first penalty in the shootout but Everton bounced back again to win 4-3.
    Manager David Moyes admitted he very nearly performed a Jose Mourinho-style celebration when Phil Neville blasted in the winning spot-kick.
    "I was thinking about one of those Mourinhos you do down the touchline," he said.
    "Probably making a fool of myself!"
    The shootout was not without controversy, with John Heitinga deliberatly bumping into Ashley Cole as the latter walked forward to take a penalty he ballooned over the crossbar, giving Neville the chance to win it.
    Moyes said: "Goalkeepers have bits of psychology all the way through, so who knows? Maybe that's the way?"
    Asked if there had been harsh words after the Bolton defeat, he said: "Not harsh words, just corrective words, and really realligning what we have to do here before we try to play."
    He added: "Noticably, there was a massive improvement in their attitude to do the tough things first."
    Moyes admitted Saturday's win would "never make up for" losing to Chelsea in the 2009 final but hopes the omens are good for another run to Wembley.
    "I don't know," he said.
    "I've lost to some small clubs and the gulf was even bigger. So how could I say that?
    "I hope you're right but I couldn't be sure."

Guardiola - new deal.

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola will sign his one-year contract extension with the club on Wednesday, the Primera Division leaders have said.
    It had initially been announced earlier this month that Guardiola would pen his new deal on Tuesday, but that has now been moved back 24 hours.
    Barca said on their website: "For reasons of agenda, the signing of Josep Guardiola's contract renewal, scheduled for this Tuesday, February 22, will finally take place on Wednesday, February 23, after first-team training, around 1300, in the club offices.
    "The coach of Barcelona will sign for one more season, until June 30, 2012, as announced on February 8."
    Guardiola, 40, took charge of the Catalan giants in 2008 and has already led the club to eight titles.
    Barca are currently five points clear at the top of the Primera Division standings, through to the final of the Copa del Rey and in the last-16 of the Champions League, where they trail 2-1 to Arsenal after the away leg.

Holloway - backing Redknapp.

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway is confident Harry Redknapp could get England playing like his Tottenham team.
    Since being appointed as manager at White Hart Lane in 2008, Redknapp has completely transformed Spurs from Premier League strugglers to the dynamic outfit now competing in this season's Champions League knock-out rounds.
    The 63-year-old has frequently been tipped to succeed England head coach Fabio Capello when the Italian leaves his post in 2012 and Holloway feels Redknapp is the right man for the job.
    "We'll have to leave that to the powers that be, but I for one would love to see him in that chair," said Holloway, whose Blackpool side host Tottenham on Tuesday night.
    "I think he can handle it and I think he'd get our players to play the way his clubs play - with a great deal of attacking prowess.
    "He seems to get the best out of everybody, which you need as an international manager."
    Last week Tottenham notched a famous 1-0 victory over AC Milan in their Champions League round-of-16 first leg at the San Siro, a game which was marred by an incident in which the hosts' captain Gennaro Gattuso headbutted Spurs assistant boss Joe Jordan.
    Holloway believes the way the episode was handled on Tottenham's part is further testament to Redknapp's qualities as a manager.
    "How out of order was Mr Gattuso and how dignified was Joe Jordan with the whole thing?" Holloway said.
    "If you knew Joe - he was Bristol City manager when I was a Bristol Rovers player - where he got that restraint from, I do not know!
    "But he managed to control himself and I'm sure that is because of where he is and how he appreciates working with Harry at that club.
    "People like Harry get the best out of everybody and I think he will always do that, and keep doing it.
    "It's amazing that he is now doing it at one of the top clubs and I think they are very fortunate to have him."
    Ahead of Tuesday's game Blackpool are still suffering a goalkeeper shortage, with Holloway's attempts to bring in a new stopper so far proving fruitless.
    The Tangerines have been looking to make an emergency loan signing after Paul Rachubka sustained a serious knee injury earlier this month but it seems the prospect of a move for Blackburn's Frank Fielding hit a stumbling block because Rovers wanted him to go straight into the first team, while Holloway dismissed reports that Andy Lonergan could be joining from Preston.
    Matt Gilks, out since cracking his patella in November, has suffered muscle wastage and the latest on his recovery is that he could be available for the match against Chelsea at Bloomfield Road on March 7.
    Scotland Under-19 international Chris Kettings was on the Seasiders' bench as back-up to Richard Kingson for the 1-1 draw with Aston Villa and could be there again for the Spurs game.
    Mark Halstead, who has returned from a loan spell at Kettering but is not fully match-fit, is another potential option, but the whole situation has left Holloway frustrated.
    "For me it was totally impossible," said Holloway.
    "We couldn't take anyone from abroad, we could only loan someone and the only people who would loan me anybody wanted them to go straight in goal.
    "Most of them were young so am I supposed to say to Richard 'I'm sorry, we are borrowing this kid and you're going to have to sit on the subs' bench'?
    "It's nonsense, and yet another bit of scuppering. We're not able to stack and rack four or five goalkeepers like most other people and I do believe again the rules have not helped us that much."
    Meanwhile, Blackpool defender Rob Edwards is heading to npower Championship side Norwich on loan.
    Edwards has signed a deal which lasts 93 days, although the Seasiders have the option to recall him after 28.