Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 04-03-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 04-03-11

Latest Transfer Update at 04-03-11

Louis van Gaal - pressure building.
    RUMMENIGGE QUIET ON VAN GAAL

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge refused to discuss the future of coach Louis van Gaal following Wednesday night's 1-0 DFB-Pokal semi-final defeat at home to Schalke.
    The shock loss left the defending champions facing the prospect of ending the season without a trophy.
    They are already 16 points behind leaders Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga, leaving the Champions League as their only chance of silverware this season.
    "We have got to be able to accept defeats, even if they really hurt," Rummenigge said.
    "Despite the disappointment and all of the emotions, we have still got to keep our calm and the team has got to try to win on Saturday.
    "That is an important game to show a reaction and get the points to try and get us back into the places in the league where we can qualify for the Champions League next season.
    "I am not discussing the coach and nobody else is at the club."
    Van Gaal knows his future could hinge on next week's Champions League clash with Inter Milan, while Saturday's game with third-placed Hannover is equally important.
    "This is a huge disappointment," he told ZDF television. "I said before the game that this is an important competition.
    "Our aim now is second place (in the Bundesliga) and we are still in the Champions League,"
    "I have to just carry on doing my job, and I think I do it very well.
    "Then it is up to the board to decide, not me."
    Captain Philipp Lahm admitted it was "going to be very hard to rescue the season" after last night's defeat at the Allianz Arena.
    "If we don't win the league and we don't win the cup, then that is not a good season for Bayern," he added.
    "We will have to talk a lot in the next few days because Saturday's game is very, very important - maybe the most important of the season - because coming second depends on that game.
    "We must win in Hannover."
    Schalke managed Felix Magath was understandably delighted to have finally got the better of his former club after losing by the same scoreline in the semi-final to Bayern last season.
    "The final in Berlin is a really great reward," he said. "I am delighted that we have reached it."
    Schalke will play local rivals Duisburg from the second division in the final in Berlin on May 21.
    The clubs are separated by just 25 miles in Germany's industrial Ruhr area and and Magath expects a tough challenge.
    "I think that anybody who bet on us winning last night will be very rich now," said Magath. "But it will be a different situation in Berlin.
    "We will be the favourites there, but you can never under-estimate second-division opponents."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 04-03-11

Michael Carrick - stays at Manchester United.
    MICHAEL CARRICK PENS NEW CONTRACT

Michael Carrick has signed a new contract with Manchester United that will keep him at Old Trafford until 2014.
    Although Carrick has not enjoyed the best of seasons, he has improved in recent games, and with Sir Alex Ferguson beginning the process of reshaping his squad he was keen to keep the 29-year-old who joined from Tottenham in 2006.
    "I am thoroughly enjoying my time at this great club," said Carrick.
    "There is a fantastic team spirit within the squad and I am pleased to have committed my future to United."
    The news came barely 20 minutes after Sir Alex Ferguson was charged with improper conduct by the Football Association following comments made about referee Martin Atkinson immediately after United's 2-1 defeat to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday.
    That game marked Carrick's 218th United appearance and his new three-year deal will offer the opportunity to make many more.
    Having already collected three Premier League titles and a Champions League trophy in his time with the Red Devils, the England international is keen for United to put their midweek setback behind them and focus on collecting more silverware.
    "We are in a very good position at the moment and I am confident this team will be successful for many years to come," he said.
    With Paul Scholes' future undecided and Anderson struggling with injuries, Carrick's playmaking abilities are likely to come in very handy on the run-in, with Ferguson delighted Carrick has joined Ryan Giggs and Patrice Evra, who have also recently signed contract extensions.
    "I am delighted Michael has signed a new contract," said Ferguson.
    "He has been outstanding since joining us from Tottenham in 2006. He is a true professional and it is great he has committed his future to the club."

Uploads

Fabian Delph - new Villa deal.
    DELPH HANDED NEW VILLA DEAL

Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph has signed a new four-year contract to keep him at the club until 2015.
    The club have described the agreement as "an improved deal" for the versatile 21-year-old, who joined from Leeds in July 2009 during Martin O'Neill's time in charge.
    "I am absolutely delighted," he told avfc.co.uk. "The club has shown great commitment in me by offering me this deal and I was more than happy to sign it."
    Delph added: "I am happy and my family are happy - so everyone is happy. I want to push on now, improve and play a part as we look to finish the season on a high and build for next season.
    "I am really pleased to have extended my association with the club."
    Villa boss Gerard Houllier hailed Delph's attitude.
    "I know Fabian hasn't played a lot for us because he has just got over his long-term injury but we are very confident he will become a very good player for Aston Villa," he said.
    "The fact he signed the contract means he trusts us too. I think he's a good footballer, he will get stronger and stronger and he will improve his game.
    "When you sign a player - or re-sign a player - you need to make sure he has the right attitude for the club and the fans and Fabian certainly fits that bill."
    England Under-21 international Delph has suffered a largely frustrating season after an anterior cruciate ligament injury suffered at the end of the 2009-10 campaign.

Uploads

Kean - feels safe at Ewood.
    ROVERS BOSS KEAN FEELS 'SAFE'

Steve Kean is not worried by his position at the club and says the owners have been 'fantastic'.
    The Ewood Park outfit have performed admirably under Kean's stewardship despite initial scepticism over his appointment.
    However, a four-game winless run in the Premier League has seen the side slide back towards the foot of the table and they are now just four points clear of third-from-bottom Wolves.
    Rovers suffered a heavy 4-1 defeat to Aston Villa last weekend, raising question marks over his long-term future, although the Scot is happy with the stability the club's new owners have created.
    "The stability they've given me is fantastic," explained Kean. "Do I feel safe? Yes, I do.
    "It's also good for the players. We've so many who are out of contract in the summer, so the fact they want to back me through my contract allows me to sit down with the lads, like I did in the transfer window.
    "They might not want to sign a new contract if someone else is coming in."

Uploads

Sturridge - excites Bolton boss Coyle.
    COYLE - STURRIDGE TALK MUST WAIT

Bolton boss Owen Coyle insists that talks over taking Daniel Sturridge back on loan next season will have to wait till the end of the season.
    Sturridge agreed to join Bolton on loan till the summer having found first-team opportunities hard to come by at Chelsea.
    And the 21-year-old striker has kick-started his career by scoring in each of his first four games for the Trotters.
    Coyle has admitted he would relish the opportunity to have Sturridge back at the Reebok next season but claims that prospect cannot be discussed just yet.
    "I think that conversation will be for the summer because there's a number of factors that have to be taken into account there," he told Sky Sports News.
    "I'm enjoying having Daniel at the football club at this moment, that's my focus between now and the end of the season - helping Daniel to realise all his potential, and by doing that he'll help Bolton Wanderers.
    "For me, it was always going to be a win-win situation. That Chelsea would get back a player who's had the opportunity to play week-in, week-out in the Barclays Premier League, a player who's flourished in doing that.
    "And I get a striker that's hungry and will score goals, and the football club benefits from that young and exciting player, as happened previously last year.
    "Arsenal, ourselves and Jack Wilshere all benefited from it, and that's how I saw that scenario again with Daniel."
    Wilshere impressed enough on loan at Bolton last season to be handed a run at Arsenal this term and the 19-year-old has taken full advantage, establishing himself in the Gunners' midfield while being rewarded with his England debut.
    And Coyle feels Sturridge has the potential to have the same impact, meaning Chelsea would rather keep him next season than let the former Manchester City trainee go out on loan again.
    "I think he is a natural footballer, first and foremost, and obviously a terrific goalscorer," added the Bolton boss
    "But he's more than that, for me. He's got pace, he has a trick, he's comfortable with both feet, and he's an exciting player. He receives the ball and you think 'you know what, something's going to happen'.
    "As a manager, that's great, and even as a football fan, that's the type of player I love watching because all of a sudden you get out of your seat and you think something special could happen. He's prepared to take people on.
    "He's just been a terrific acquisition for the football club but ultimately Daniel has to continue to keep moving forward.
    "He can't affect what he's done to this point. He has to keep the hunger for goals and be hungry to improve as a footballer because he'll know himself there are little bits and pieces he could get better at, and hopefully we can help him to achieve that goal."

Uploads

Jason Brown - loan move to Cardiff.
    CARDIFF SEAL BROWN LOAN DEAL

Cardiff City boss Dave Jones has confirmed the loan signing of goalkeeper Jason Brown from Blackburn Rovers on a one-month deal.
    Brown joined the Bluebirds for training on Thursday morning and goes straight into Jones' plans for Saturday's visit of Ipswich.
    The Wales international boosts the Championship promotion hopefuls with first-choice stopper Tom Heaton (groin) struggling, back-up David Marshall (elbow) sidelined for the remainder of the season and youngster Jordan Santiago (finger) also ruled out.
    Jones saw a loan move for Wigan goalkeeper Chris Kirkland collapse earlier this week.
    Brown joined Rovers in 2006 following a five-year spell with Gillingham but has made less than 20 appearances for the Premier League outfit.
    The 28-year-old has already enjoyed brief loan stints with Leeds and Leyton Orient this term.

Uploads

Routledge - on loan at QPR.
    QPR AGREE ROUTLEDGE FEE

Neil Warnock believes Queens Park Rangers have agreed a fee with Newcastle for the permanent signing of Wayne Routledge.
    The winger returned to Loftus Road on loan in January and he has scored twice in eight appearances for the Championship leaders.
    Warnock has been delighted by the 26-year-old's impact since rejoining the club and hopes to persuade Routledge to sign a long-term contract.
    "I think they've sorted out a realistic figure," said Warnock in the Fulham Chronicle.
    "I can't give exact details, but I think we've agreed everything with the club should it go ahead.
    "I don't think there's any rush for either of us. We'd like to sign him, whatever happens, but I imagine it depends on where we end up, because I think Wayne would like to play in the Premier League. If things went wrong for us, then he'd probably go back.
    "He's got to be enjoying it because of the way he's playing and we're enjoying having him. We'd love to keep him."
    Warnock added: "I thought he'd do well for us. That's why I chased him for so long and talked to him so many times. Pestered him, in fact.
    "It can sometimes be difficult coming back to a club, but I told him it was a lot different now and I felt the club was geared up to let him play his best.
    "I thought we were a solid side and I thought you need players like Wayne to win games and I'm delighted to get him."

Uploads

Sorensen - fallen down pecking order at Stoke.
    PULIS HOPING FOR SORENSEN DEAL

Stoke manager Tony Pulis is stepping up his bid to maintain the services of goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen at the Britannia Stadium.
    The Danish international has lost his place to Asmir Begovic, but Pulis wants the 34-year-old to remain on board.
    Sorensen's contract runs out at the end of next season and Pulis said: "We would love Thomas to sign a new deal. His agent has been on so we would love to get that done if we can."
    With veteran Carlo Nash also at the club, the Stoke boss is pleased with the goalkeepers at his disposal.
    He said: "I think our three are as good as any in the league. Part of our future next season? I would be disappointed if they are not."
    Begovic, 23, is set to retain his place against West Ham on Saturday after an impressive display in the 1-1 draw against West Brom.
    Pulis said: "The kid is an exceptional goalkeeper. He has all the talent you would want. But he is young, inexperienced and he is going to make mistakes like he did at Birmingham.
    "We have to take that on the chin, be careful with him and give him as much backing when he needs it and as much support as he can get."

Uploads

Paul Hart - new Swindon boss.
    PAUL HART TAKES SWINDON JOB

Swindon have appointed Paul Hart as their new manager until the end of the season just a day after Danny Wilson's resignation.
    Hart takes the reins at the County Ground with the Robins languishing 21st in npower League One, three points adrift of safety, having claimed just three points from their last 11 games.
    It is a far cry from last season when the Wiltshire club, under Wilson's stewardship, were narrowly beaten in the play-off final by Millwall.
    Chairman Andrew Fitton highlighted the former QPR and Crystal Palace manager's experience of relegation battles as the key reason for his appointment.
    "Paul has been in the situation of having to rescue a club from the throes of relegation - the first time at Portsmouth in 2008/09 and also at Crystal Palace in 2009/10 when he was charged with keeping the club up with 14 matches to go, having had 10 points deducted in mid-season," Fitton said.
    "Paul has been selected because of his experience in guiding teams away from the relegation zone, something that Swindon determined to do."
    He added: "There are 13 games left to achieve this objective and so time is not on our side for any experimentation. We had to go for experience.
    "Paul will begin immediately and will be deciding on his support team in due course."

Uploads

Pintado - faces long spell on the sidelines.
    PINTADO SUFFERS INJURY SETBACK

Swansea striker Gorka Pintado has been ruled out for up to nine months having sustained a cruciate knee ligament injury while playing for loan club AEK Larnaca.
    The Spaniard was two months into his stay with the Cypriot outfit, who are managed by Jordi Cruyff, and was due to remain there until the end of the season.
    Pintado has already undergone surgery in Barcelona and will stay there for the next two weeks as he starts his rehabilitation process.
    Swansea head physio Kate Rees told City's official website: "Gorka has had cruciate ligament reconstruction.
    "Recovery time for such an operation can be anything from six to nine months."
    The 32-year-old, who had not long returned following a shoulder operation, has another 16 months remaining on his contract at the Liberty Stadium after joining in June 2008.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast