Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 11-03-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 11-03-11

Latest Transfer Update at 11-03-11

Gareth Bale - backed by Boateng.
    BOATENG EXPECTS BATTLE FOR BALE

AC Milan midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng believes his former club Tottenham will struggle to keep hold of Gareth Bale this summer.
    Bale is one of the hottest properties in world football following his exploits in the Champions League with Spurs this season.
    The likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid, Inter Milan and AC Milan have all been credited with an interest in the Welshman.
    Former Spurs man Boateng is a big admirer of the Wales international and he expects all of Europe's top clubs to try and prise him away from White Hart Lane.
    "Gareth was the player all the Milan players have been talking about, because of his pace and left foot," Boateng told The Mirror.
    "When I played here there were talents like Gareth and Aaron Lennon, but they have improved a lot.
    "I think the whole of Europe is after Gareth, because he is a great player.
    "The way he played against Inter was impressive and everyone said: 'Who is this player? We need to get him.'
    "I think it will be difficult for Tottenham to keep him but he is feeling good here in London, so we will see in the summer what is going to happen.
    "With his quality, his pace and his strength, he could do well in any league."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 11-03-11

Bolo Zenden - set for contract talks.
    ZENDEN SET TO BE OFFERED NEW DEAL

Sunderland are ready to offer midfielder Bolo Zenden a new deal at the Stadium of Light.
    The former Liverpool and Chelsea player's current contract expires at the end of the season, but Bruce believes Zenden still has a lot to offer.
    The 34-year-old has made 21 appearances in the Premier League this season, mostly as a substitute, and Bruce is keen to keep him on Wearside.
    "We'll look at a contract for him in the next week or so," said Bruce.
    "I've already had a little conversation with him because his physical stats haven't deteriorated at all since the start of the season.
    "In fact he's done very well. He's still got a lot to offer this club.
    "He's a great asset for the club and we'd like to hang on to him for longer, which is why we're looking at a new contract for him."
    Zenden has yet to decide if he will sign the new deal on offer as it depends on how much he will be playing next season.
    The midfielder admits it has been frustrating playing a bit-part role as he wants to be a regular in Bruce's plans.
    "The issue is how much a part I have to play," Zenden told the Daily Mail.
    "I've played quite a lot this season but some of the appearances have been for the last five minutes, which is not so nice.
    "I don't just want to be here to be here, I want to be important as well. I'm having a good time. I don't feel old. I still feel like one of the boys."

Uploads

Gibson - keen to stay.
    DARRON GIBSON EYES MAN UNITED DEAL

Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson expects to hold talks with the club over a new deal in the summer.
    The 23-year-old, who has just over a year to run on his current contract, admits he would be happy to pledge his long-term future to the club.
    United have recently secured Darren Fletcher and Michael Carrick on fresh terms and Gibson is ready to sit down and discuss an extension at the end of the season.
    Gibson's future at United has been the subject of conjecture with Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trapattoni calling on the player to leave Old Trafford in search of regular first-team football to boost his international aspirations.
    However, Gibson insists he has no plans to leave United and has vowed to fight for a place in Sir Alex Ferguson's side.
    "My contract ends in 2012 and although there have been no talks at the minute I am not too worried about," Gibson told skysports.com at an event promoting EA SPORTS FIFA 11 Ultimate Team.
    "I think they will maybe in the summer sit down and have a chat about a new deal and I am confident I can get one.
    "I have no plans to leave Manchester United.
    "My main goal is to try and get to play every week and be in there as a regular, but I think things are going well for me at the minute.
    "Obviously I want to kick on and get in the team, but I am happy enough."
    Gibson insists he has been happy with his form when he has been given a chance in the United side this season
    "I am happy enough with my form, I have got no complaints," added Gibson.
    "Obviously I would like to have scored a few more goals, but I am enjoying it at the minute and hopefully I can kick on and play in the rest of the games that are left in the season."
    Darron Gibson is promoting EA SPORTS' FIFA 11 Ultimate Team. Take on the challenge of building a squad of the world's best football stars by earning, buying, selling and trading players with other Ultimate Team gamers around the world.

Uploads

Ireland - given deal hope.
    PARDEW HINTS AT STEPHEN IRELAND DEAL

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew says Stephen Ireland could win a permanent move to the Magpies - despite not yet to make his debut for the club.
    Ireland, who joined Newcastle on loan from Aston Villa in January, has yet to figure for the Magpies because of a thigh injury.
    The 24-year-old does not appear to feature in Gerard Houllier's plans at Aston Villa and it seems likely he will be on the move in the summer.
    Despite his lack of action so far, Pardew believes that the midfielder still has enough time to make an impact and earn himself a permanent move to the North-East.
    "He's still got time to impress me because I still think there is a chance of something permanent here for Stephen," said Pardew.
    "Things at Villa aren't going too well. I want to have a good look at him before he goes back.
    "We haven't got anything in place in terms of a deal, there wasn't time.
    "He is under a little bit of pressure because there aren't many games left, but when you've got a player of Stephen's character, I don't think that is a bad thing.
    "He is a player who has played on a big stage in the past, it's not like he is coming from a team which isn't high profile."

Uploads

Lennon - Celtic boss.
    AGENT: LENNON WILL NOT QUIT HOOPS

Neil Lennon will not walk away from Celtic despite threats made against him, according to his agent Martin Reilly.
    The 39-year-old Hoops manager has had bullets sent to him through the post and a suspicious package addressed to him intercepted this season, leading to speculation about his future.
    However, Reilly is confident that Lennon will stay at Celtic Park.
    "He was a winner as a player and he's a winner as a manager," Reilly told BBC Scotland's Sportsound programme.
    "As far as quitting as a manager goes, it's not in his nature."
    Reilly claims that Lennon would not discuss his future until the end of the season.
    "We will have these discussions at the end of the season, but all Neil wants to do at the moment is concentrate on his job," he said.
    "He's got a contract to fight for, a six-month rolling contract, so he's got things like that to sort out in his life but he's got to put up with all this stuff off the park as well.
    "He certainly hasn't spoken about quitting or walking out on the club, but I dare say it must have gone through his mind because it's certainly gone through mine."

Uploads

Abidal - set for talks.
    BARCELONA OPEN TO ABIDAL DEAL

Barcelona have confirmed they are looking to extend Eric Abidal's contract.
    The French defender has 18-months remaining on his current deal at Camp Nou.
    But Barca vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu confirmed the club are set to open talks with the 31-year-old - who told skysports.com in December that he wanted a new deal.
    "We will surely offer him a contract beyond 2013," he told Ona FM.
    "He has made a change this year, a good player has become an excellent one."
    French boss Laurent Blanc seemingly agrees with Bartomeu's appraisal of Abidal's progress.
    "On pure defensive level, he has always been one of the best French defenders. But he has greatly improved," he told France Football.
    "What he achieved against Arsenal was exceptional."

Uploads

Magath - proud of his side.
    MAGATH REVELLS IN SCHALKE TRIUMPH

Schalke manager Felix Magath shrugged off rumours he may soon be out of a job and instead revelled in Wednesday night's 3-1 victory over Valencia in the Champions League, which earned his side a place in the quarter-finals.
    The Royal Blues ensured their name would figure among the top eight clubs in Europe when the draw for the next round takes place on March 18, yet speculation suggests Magath may no longer be in charge when that comes around.
    Reports in Germany had claimed that Schalke bosses have already decided to part company with Magath in the summer at the latest whereas he could even be relieved of his duties as soon as this weekend if his side does not win in the Bundesliga against Eintracht Frankfurt.
    But Magath is ignoring the rumours and, after guiding Schalke into the final of the DFB-Pokal last week, he is looking to do the same in the Champions League.
    "We don't need to take any notice of the speculation," he said. "The truth is on the pitch.
    "Nobody has spoken to me and I still have a contract until 2013 so this is not even an issue.
    "We have shown that we find it easier to play against teams who are technically strong.
    "I am proud that we have been able to knock out a top Spanish side."

Uploads

Tainio - Ajax exit.
    TAINIO MAKES AJAX EXIT

Midfielder Teemu Tainio has departed Ajax for the New York Red Bulls after failing to make an impact with the Dutch giants.
    The 31-year-old Finland international, who arrived in Amsterdam on a free transfer from Sunderland last summer, played just 51 minutes for the Eredivisie side over the course of his unproductive stay, making only five appearances.
    He initially joined the Dutch club on a one-year contract, but has grown frustrated by the lack of playing time at the Amsterdam Arena.
    Tainio, who has also spent time at Tottenham and Birmingham on loan, becomes the first Finnish player ever to join Major League Soccer club the Red Bulls.
    The midfielder is the second player to depart Ajax after just half a season this year after Egyptian striker Mido decided to move on in January.

Uploads

Kadlec - impressive season.
    KADLEC PLAYS DOWN LIVERPOOL LINK

Bayer Leverkusen defender Michal Kadlec insists that he has not been in contact with Liverpool amid reports of a summer transfer to Anfield.
    The 26-year-old has been an integral part of second-placed Leverkusen's continued attempt to catch runaway Bundesliga leaders Borussia Dortmund and has been one of the league's star performers.
    Left-sided Kadlec was the subject of an August scouting mission from Liverpool, who have since been playing England right-back Glen Johnson on the opposite flank since loaning flopped summer signing Paul Konchesky to Nottingham Forest.
    The Czech Republic international is only under contract with Leverkusen until 2013, but, while he has refused to confirm that he will sign a new deal, he is adamant that he has not been approached by Liverpool.
    "It (Liverpool's interest) was in some English paper, but I know nothing specific about it. I have not discussed it with anyone," Kadlec told isport.blesk.cz.
    "I know that they were present at our early-season game against Dortmund, which we won 2-0. But I don't know whether there has been any progress since then."
    Regarding his contract, Kadlec said: "Will I extend it? It is too early for such thinking, but Leverkusen have announced that the clear objective of this season is to qualify for the Champions League.
    "If we fail to get there, then they would probably be forced to sell some players.
    "On the other hand, if we manage to qualify, the club would not be willing to release anyone.
    "Anyway, to be connected with such a big club (Liverpool) flatters me. Who would not be tempted to play in the Premier League?"

Uploads

Mazzarri - linked with Juventus.
    MAZZARRI GOING NOWHERE - NAPOLI

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentis has quashed reports in Italy that coach Walter Mazzarri will leave Naples this summer.
    Mazzarri has been strongly linked with a move to Juventus at the end of the season as a replacement for the under-fire Luigi Del Neri.
    However, De Laurentiis has warned Mazzarri's suitors that the Italian coach is going nowhere.
    He said: "Mazzarri is my coach and he is under contract for another three-and-a-half years.
    "If in 2016, Juve wants him, then they can go and get him.
    "If someone is not on the market, he is just not on the market.
    "I wanted Mazzarri for some time and now that he arrived, I intend to keep him."
    The 49-year-old Mazzarri has transformed Napoli into a Scudetto challenger since taking over from Roberto Donadoni in October 2009.
    Napoli lie third in Serie A, eight points behind league leaders AC Milan with 10 games remaining.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast