Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 14-03-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 14-03-11

Latest Transfer Update at 14-03-11

Van der Sar - will stick to decision.
    VAN DER SAR WILL STICK TO DECISION

Edwin van der Sar was genuinely moved at hearing the Stretford End bellow "One more year" in recognition of his man-of-the-match performance in the 2-0 win over Arsenal, but he has no intention of giving in to their demands.
    The 40-year-old has already announced this will be his last season and no matter what Manchester United's appreciative fans say, he will not be changing his mind.
    "I don't hate the thought of retirement," he said. "I am looking forward to it. I am at my peak and it will be nice to finish at my peak.
    "Maybe it is a weight off my shoulders. It is nice to get recognition from the fans and I will miss football and the buzz. It has been 20 years.
    "But I have other good things, including a lovely wife and great kids."
    Van der Sar has never given the impression of being overly emotional about football.
    Even after a string of fine saves had denied Arsenal in Saturday's FA Cup quarter-final, helping to earn United a mouth-watering clash with Manchester City at Wembley next month, he was his usual phlegmatic self.
    However, he does accept that after successive defeats to Chelsea and Liverpool, there has been a period of soul searching inside United's dressing room.
    "We lost two games last week so it was important for us to get back to winning ways," he said.
    "Everybody doubts themselves. Every writer doubts themselves, every artist doubts himself and every football player does.
    "But that is what certain players thrive on. It is important for the experienced players to stand up and be counted and to show the young players what has to be done."
    Van der Sar's manager thrives on proving people wrong.
    When the teams were announced an hour before kick-off, even the most loyal United fan must have been concerned at a line-up which included seven defenders.
    But the decision to push Brazilian twins Fabio and Rafael into more advanced positions and asking Wayne Rooney to drop into midfield was inspired, even if Van der Sar and Patrice Evra were among those caught completely by surprise.
    "It was a team we had never even trained with, let alone played," Van der Sar said. "I was chatting to Patrice in the car going to Old Trafford the day before the game about what the team was going to be.
    "We came up with Fabio on the left. We never guessed Rafael would be on the right wing.
    "They bring a lot of energy and enthusiasm to the team. We have seen them at the back, but they don't stay there for long because they are always going forward."
    That willingness to take the opposition on was too much for an already shellshocked Arsenal side to withstand.
    Fabio put the hosts ahead before the break, with Rooney nodding home a second immediately after half-time to set up a second semi-final confrontation with their neighbours in as many seasons after coming out on top in last term's Carling Cup.
    Two wins now stand between so many of United's players and their first FA Cup triumph, Van der Sar among them. Not that he is getting too worried about that.
    "An FA Cup winners' medal would mean a lot despite what I have already won in my career," he said. "It is there and on my list but I wouldn't look back in regret if don't win it.
    "In any case, it doesn't do a lot for me to lose a semi-final there. Football is about winning trophies. Although we're at Wembley, we are still one match away from the final."
    Quite aside from defeating their closest rivals, United were also buoyed by the return of Antonio Valencia from a six-month injury lay-off, putting him in line to face Marseille in Tuesday's Champions League last-16 tie.
    "It is good to have him back," Van der Sar added. "We have already seen the things that he did for us last year.
    "He has been training at Carrington for a little while of course, but Nani's injury at Liverpool last week speeded up the whole thing by maybe a week.
    "Hopefully he can play some more on Tuesday or against Bolton next Saturday, then he will be okay for the last two months of the season."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 14-03-11

Beckham - could return to English top flight.
    BECKHAM NOT RULING OUT RETURN

David Beckham is not closing the door on a return to the Premier League as he prepares to start the final season of his contract with Los Angeles Galaxy.
    The 35-year-old former England captain trained with Tottenham throughout January and February, and was set to play for them on loan until red tape held the deal up.
    But with his stay in America set to come to an end in November, Beckham is not ruling out finishing his career in England.
    He said in the People: "I had a great career in England for 12-13 years - who knows if I will play there again?
    "I'm getting older now and I don't have many years left. This is my last contract year in the USA, but who knows what will happen?"
    LA Galaxy kick-off their MLS season on Tuesday against Seattle.

Uploads

Sir Alex Ferguson - going strong at 69.
    GARY NEVILLE - FERGIE'S GOING NOWHERE

Gary Neville acknowledges Jose Mourinho has the right credentials to replace Sir Alex Ferguson as Manchester United manager - but does not expect that day to come for quite some time.
    Real Madrid manager Mourinho has never hidden his desire to return to the Premier League, where he enjoyed success with Chelsea before leaving in 2007.
    The Portuguese led Porto to the Champions League prior to taking over at Stamford Bridge, and also won the competition with Inter Milan last season.
    But Neville cannot see Ferguson, now 69, standing down from his position at Old Trafford in the near future.
    The 36-year-old former England defender played under the Scot for 20 years before hanging up his boots last month.
    He told The Sun: "There are many great managers and there's always speculation about who's going to take over from Sir Alex.
    "I'm sure when the time does come, Mourinho is one of the candidates who will be mentioned because of the success he's had elsewhere.
    "He's a character. You have to respect people for what they do and he's very good at what he does. He's been successful wherever he's been.
    "But it doesn't come into my head at this moment in time as Sir Alex is still going stronger than ever.
    "It's a waste of time to start speculating who will take over from him."

Uploads

Sarabia - on Arsenal's radar.
    REAL MOVE TO TIE DOWN ARSENAL TARGET

Real Madrid are set to open talks with hot prospect Pablo Sarabia after it emerged Arsenal are tracking him closely.
    The left-sided midfielder, who can also operate in the middle, is currently starring for Madrid's second team Castilla.
    He has already been handed his Real debut after coming on against Auxerre in the Champions League earlier this season.
    But Real are yet to tie him to a professional deal and, as with many top prospects, they are battling to prevent him from moving abroad.
    His agent Gines Carvajal has confirmed interest in his charge, but insists they are set to hold talks with Real's hierarchy.
    "Some clubs are looking at Sarabia and Real knows this," Carvajal confirmed.
    "The kid wants to triumph in Real and I will have a meeting with the club's directors at the end of the season."
    It is understood Arsenal's top scout in Iberia, Francis Cagigao, the man credited with making the Gunners' first approach for Cesc Fabregas, has recommended a move for Sarabia to his North London bosses.
    Earlier this year, Arsenal came to agreement with Jon Toral - one of Barcelona's top prospects - over a summer move to the club.

Uploads

Boothroyd - sacked by Coventry.
    AIDY BOOTHROYD AXED BY SKY BLUES

Coventry City have sacked manager Aidy Boothroyd following the club's slide down the Championship table in recent months.
    Boothroyd only took charge at the end of last season after being appointed to replace Chris Coleman and had enjoyed a bright start to the campaign.
    However, the Sky Blues have won one just once in their last 16 Championship matches and were beaten 1-0 at home by Hull City at the weekend.
    That result left Coventry in 19th position in the table, seven points outside the relegation zone after Boothroyd had set a target of 53 points for survival.
    However, with the team 12 points shy of that total, the Coventry board have decided to part company with Boothroyd ahead of Tuesday's game against Burnley.
    A club statement read: "The board of Coventry City Football Club has today relieved Aidy Boothroyd of his first-team duties with immediate effect.
    "Assistant manager Martin Pert has also been relieved of his duties.
    "First-team coach Steve Harrison and chief scout Andy Thorn will be placed in temporary charge of team affairs.
    "We would like to place on record our thanks to Aidy and Martin for their efforts.
    "We will not be holding a media conference today as the team is preparing for the match at Burnley tomorrow."

Uploads

Lehmann - linked with Arsenal return.
    LEHMANN COY ON ARSENAL LINK

Former Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has not ruled out the possibility of signing a short-term contract to return to the club.
    Arsene Wenger is considering bringing in goalkeeping cover after Wojciech Szczesny joined Lukasz Fabianski and Vito Mannone on the sidelines.
    The injuries have left Manuel Almunia as Arsenal's only senior goalkeeper and Lehmann has been linked with a return to Emirates Stadium.
    He is due to spend six weeks at his old club to work on his coaching badges and is remaining coy on the possibility of being part of Wenger's squad.
    "I am in London and so far have heard nothing of such plans, but you never know," Lehmann told Bild am Sonntag.
    The 41-year-old spent five years with Arsenal and made almost 200 appearances for the club after his 2003 arrival from Borussia Dortmund.
    He returned to the Bundesliga with Stuttgart in 2008 before the former Germany international called time on his playing career last summer.

Uploads

Davies - keen to continue Forest challenge.
    DAVIES KEEN ON FOREST DEAL

Nottingham Forest manager Billy Davies has confirmed he would be willing to sign a new contract at the City Ground.
    Davies has a further season to run on his existing deal, but the Scot is keen to continue the job he has held for just over two years.
    He led Forest to the Championship play-offs last season and the club are again in the mix for promotion despite a six-match winless run.
    There have yet to be any talks regarding an extension, but Davies outlined his determination to carry on his rebuilding work at Forest.
    "There is nothing at the minute," said Davies in the Nottingham Evening Post. "But I have said before that we are only part way through rebuilding this football club.
    "There is a long way to go still. With a year left on my contract, I will wait and see what happens.
    "I have to say that I would thoroughly like to continue the progression of this club over the next number of years.
    "I think that is what it is going to take to get us out of this division and where we want to be.
    "It is not my decision. I came here on a three-and-a-half year deal, with the clear instruction to get us out of this division.
    "In the last two transfer windows, progression has stopped. We still have a lot of work to do. But I would like to continue that progression and work to not only get out of this division, but also to become an established team in the top division.
    "I would love the challenge of that. I still believe anything is possible."

Uploads

Sorensen - set to secure new contract.
    SORENSEN SET TO SIGN NEW DEAL

Stoke City manager Tony Pulis is confident goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen is on the brink of signing a new contract.
    Sorensen's current deal expires in the summer and talks have taken place in recent weeks regarding an extension.
    The 34-year-old has not played in the Premier League since October after losing his place to Asmir Begovic, but he is the Potters' first choice in the FA Cup.
    "He's been talking now about a new deal with the board," said Pulis.
    "We hope that'll be done in the next couple of days."

Uploads

Felix Magath - will learn his fate on Wednesday.
    WEDNESDAY IS D-DAY FOR MAGATH

The future of Schalke manager Felix Magath will be decided at a board meeting on Wednesday after he met with club president Clemens Tonnies on Sunday.
    Magath was summoned for talks with Tonnies after rumours surfaced that he had lost the support of the board.
    After the "constructive talk", according to the club's website, both Magath and Tonnies have agreed to maintain their silence until Wednesday's meeting, when Magath will attempt to convince the board to back him.
    However, despite leading the Royal Blues into the quarter-finals of the Champions League and the final of the DFB-Pokal, that still appears unlikely due to cracks in his relationship with the fans.
    According to the Bild newspaper, former Greece coach Otto Rehhagel is being lined up to replace him until the end of the season, when a new full-time solution will be found.
    However, before Sunday's meeting took place, Magath still sounded optimistic about seeing out the final two and a half years of his contract.
    When asked whether he would still be on the bench in Gelsenkirchen next season, he said: "Of course, who else will?"

Uploads

Veh - shown the door by Hamburg.
    VEH SACKED BY HAMBURG

Hamburg coach Armin Veh has been dismissed after the 6-0 defeat at Bayern Munich, with his assistant Michael Oenning placed in charge until the end of the season.
    Veh only last week announced that he would not be renewing his contract in the summer, but the crushing reverse in Munich means he will not even make it that far.
    "After he had announced his departure at the end of the season and given the impressions from the last two games, we have decided to intervene now and part company from Armin Veh," said Hamburg's director of sport Bastian Reinhardt in a press release.
    Former Nurnberg coach Oenning, who was Veh's right-hand man, will now take over with the former reserve team coach Rodolfo Cardoso promoted to his assistant.
    Veh made it clear last night that he would not bring his resignation forward and that he would have to be pushed out of the door.
    "I am not going to throw in the towel," he said. "But I don't know where things will go from here.
    "I will just travel back to Hamburg and we will wait and see."
    He was informed of the board's decision on Sunday morning.
    His dismissal is just the latest chapter in a turbulent season at Hamburg, and goalkeeper Frank Rost heavily criticised his club's board after the defeat saw the northern Germany club sink to a new low.
    Squabbling and back-stabbing at board level in recent weeks had prompted Veh to hand in his resignation at the end of the season, and Rost has become the first player to speak about the club's problems and how they are affecting the team.
    And he did not hold back with his rage after yesterday's crushing defeat.
    "This has been going on the whole year and they just cannot work in any peace and quiet," he said.
    "There are so many small issues which sum together into one giant one.
    "What we are seeing is a falling giant and if we get hit by just one more little stone, then this giant is going to fall.
    "But too many people are underestimating this - they are putting their personal egos first. It is incredible."
    Rost says the club simply has no plan, and nobody who is ultimately being held responsible for it.
    And he cited his own situation as a perfect example of the club's mismanagement over the last 12 months.
    Goalkeeper Jaroslav Drobny was bought from Hertha Berlin last summer, and Rost says the club clearly had not consulted with Veh, who still picked Rost as his number one this season.
    "Why was he bought? He was bought just to keep Rost's mouth shut, that's why," added the 37-year-old on Sky television.
    "But if you make a signing like that, then he has got to play.
    "You shouldn't just make a game out of it in public, and I don't give a damn if I get another fine or have to explain myself again."
    Hamburg dropped to eighth after the defeat, and they are six points adrift of the top six and their minimum aim of a place in Europe next season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast