Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 15-03-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 15-03-11

Latest Transfer Update at 15-03-11

Kenny Dalglish - no long-term deal in place.
    REDS YET TO OFFER DALGLISH NEW DEAL

Liverpool's principal owner John W Henry has confirmed the club have not yet offered a new contract to manager Kenny Dalglish.
    The Reds legend stepped into the managerial hot-seat at Anfield to replace Roy Hodgson in January, initially agreeing a deal until the end of the season.
    Dalglish's tenure thus far has been a successful one and reports had suggested a two-year deal was already in place.
    But Henry denies an agreement has been reached, insisting discussions have yet to begin - although he has intimated the club's owners are ready to enter into talks over a long-term contract.
    "The only discussion we've had has been with Kenny and that was solely concerning when we should begin discussions," Henry told the Daily Telegraph.
    "I wouldn't anticipate any further comments until such discussions have commenced and we have something to announce.
    "Any reports until then are purely speculation."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 15-03-11

Jens Lehmann - looks set to answer Arsenal SOS.
    LEHMANN TO ANSWER GUNNERS' CALL

Jens Lehmann looks set to come out of retirement and answer Arsenal's goalkeeping SOS as the Gunners focus on salvaging their season by delivering the Barclays Premier League title.
    With Lukasz Fabianski sidelined until the end of the season because of a shoulder problem and Wojciech Szczesny suffering an injured finger during the Champions League defeat to Barcelona, Manuel Almunia has been left as the only fit senior keeper within Arsene Wenger's squad.
    Given Vito Mannone, who also has first-team experience, has been hampered by a thigh problem while on loan at Hull, the Gunners boss has elected to ask Lehmann to return to the club he left in 2008.
    Lehmann, 41, played for two seasons at Stuttgart before hanging up his gloves and has since worked in the German media, which saw him at the Nou Camp last Tuesday night.
    The veteran was part of the 'Invincibles' team which won the Premier League title in 2003/2004, and has been in regular touch with Arsenal during his recent stay in England working on coaching badges.
    While a deal is not yet complete, Lehmann, who would be signed as a free agent, could be in contention to make the squad for Saturday's Premier League trip to struggling West Brom.
    Speaking to German newspaper Bild, Lehmann said: "Arsenal currently have a goalkeeping crisis and I jumped at the chance to help them."
    Lehmann - who was sent off in the 2006 Champions League final defeat against Barcelona - is likely to provide experienced cover for Almunia, renewing the pair's often difficult relationship when they battled it out for the number one spot.
    The return of the legendarily eccentric keeper will certainly be a boost to the morale of a squad which has been tested to the limit in recent weeks, suffering Carling Cup final heartache at Wembley, then crashing out of both Europe in Barcelona and the FA Cup at Manchester United.
    Nevertheless, Arsenal's Premier League destiny remains very much in their own hands with 10 games to go, as they trail leaders United by just three points, but with a match in hand ahead of their crunch showdown at the Emirates Stadium on May 1.
    Some 9,000 Gunners fans had made the journey to Old Trafford on Sunday, many of whom had also just returned from a bitterly disappointing midweek trip to Spain.
    Wenger has called for the supporters to continue to try to lift his battle-weary side on the pitch when they return to league action at The Hawthorns.
    "The fans were absolutely amazing, and we need them at West Brom now," Wenger said.
    "Hopefully they keep cheering us and keep the morale as well because we have to support each other now in that final part of the season, because it is a vital part."
    Centre-back Johan Djourou is out for the rest of the campaign after dislocating his shoulder at Old Trafford, while midfielder Alex Song (knee) is not expected to make the West Brom game.
    Captain Cesc Fabregas (hamstring) and England winger Theo Walcott (ankle) are both also big-name absentees.

Uploads

Newcastle - no Indian buyout.
    NEWCASTLE DENY INDIAN TALKS

Newcastle United have denied receiving a bid from an Indian consortium to buy the club.
    The Magpies have long been linked with a buy-out after owner Mike Ashley put them up for sale in 2008.
    However, since then he has taken them off the market and the club insist they are no longer looking for buyers.
    Reports at the weekend claimed the club had hosted an Indian delegation, who were ready to invest.
    But Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias has denied any talks have taken place.
    "No-one has visited the club," he told the Daily Express.
    "There has been no approach from any Indian consortium or businessman and Newcastle United are not looking for one."

Uploads

David Moyes - set for summer talks.
    MOYES PLANS SUMMER STRATEGY TALKS

Everton manager David Moyes will hold talks with the club's board this summer to ascertain whether their strategy is "workable".
    Moyes has been working on a smaller budget than many of his Barclays Premier League counterparts over recent years and chairman Bill Kenwright has made no secret of his desire to attract fresh investment to take the club forward.
    But with no deal imminent, Moyes will continue to operate under the same constraints while also attempting to stave off growing interest in rising midfield star Jack Rodwell.
    Moyes, who is celebrating nine years in charge at Goodison Park, told the Daily Express: "At the end of the season, it's important we find a route to go forward.
    "The chairman and the people on the board will listen to my views and they'll need to tell me what the strategy is for the club.
    "I will see if what they are talking about is workable."

Uploads

Fraser Forster - enjoying his football.
    FORSTER ENJOYING CELTIC SPELL

Goalkeeper Fraser Forster is determined to continue playing first-team football next season after a successful spell on loan at Celtic from Newcastle.
    Forster has made 30 Celtic appearances this term and on Wednesday will line-up against Inverness in the Scottish Cup, with Sunday seeing Celtic take on Rangers in the Co-operative Insurance Cup final at Hampden Park.
    With Celtic top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League, Forster could cap his season with silverware and he is eager not to return to the substitutes' bench next term.
    He told the Scottish Sun: "I just want to be out playing first-team football week in, week out.
    "I'll just have to put in good performances and work hard at training and see where it takes me.
    "Celtic's a fantastic club, but we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I'm still Newcastle's player so let's wait until the summer and find what it brings.
    "Neil Lennon's been brilliant for me and I'll always be grateful for that. He's a top manager and I want to do well for him."
    Forster, who will be 23 on Thursday, is looking for success on Sunday.
    He added: "Sunday will be very special with it being an Old Firm cup final.
    "It's going to be a massive occasion. Winning the final would rank as my top career moment. But obviously there's a lot of football to be played before then."

Uploads

Boothroyd - sacked by Coventry.
    AIDY BOOTHROYD AXED BY SKY BLUES

Coventry City have sacked manager Aidy Boothroyd following the club's slide down the Championship table in recent months.
    Boothroyd only took charge at the end of last season after being appointed to replace Chris Coleman and had enjoyed a bright start to the campaign.
    However, the Sky Blues have won one just once in their last 16 Championship matches and were beaten 1-0 at home by Hull City at the weekend.
    That result left Coventry in 19th position in the table, seven points outside the relegation zone after Boothroyd had set a target of 53 points for survival.
    However, with the team 12 points shy of that total, the Coventry board have decided to part company with Boothroyd ahead of Tuesday's game against Burnley.
    A club statement read: "The board of Coventry City Football Club has today relieved Aidy Boothroyd of his first-team duties with immediate effect.
    "Assistant manager Martin Pert has also been relieved of his duties.
    "First-team coach Steve Harrison and chief scout Andy Thorn will be placed in temporary charge of team affairs.
    "We would like to place on record our thanks to Aidy and Martin for their efforts.
    "We will not be holding a media conference today as the team is preparing for the match at Burnley tomorrow."

Uploads

Marveaux - close to Reds deal.
    MARVEAUX DENIES LIVERPOOL REPORTS

Rennes playmaker Sylvain Marveaux has denied reports he has signed a pre-contract agreement to join Liverpool in the summer.
    The former France Under-21 international, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has denied quotes attributed to him in the English media that he was set to make a move to the Premier League club.
    Marveaux is currently recovering from groin surgery and has said he did not intend to commit his future to any club until he had returned to full fitness.
    "I never spoke to any English journalist and I do not understand why they wrote it," the 24-year-old told L'Equipe.
    "Today I still have not decided which club I will play for next season.
    "I will soon be going to Clairefontaine to continue my rehab and when I have made my choice I will announce it."
    Marveaux, who has also reportedly caught the interest of Marseille and Lyon, is keen to return to Rennes' line-up before the end of the season and help their push towards the Ligue 1 title.
    The Brittany club sit second in the table, three points behind leaders Lille, with 11 games to play.
    "Contrary to what some have said I hope to play again with Rennes before the end of the season," he added.
    "If all goes to plan I should be able to resume training and play in April or May.
    "Returning with Rennes before the end of the season my goal."