Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 21-03-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 21-03-11

Latest Transfer Update at 21-03-11

Kenny Dalglish - praised by Liverpool owner.
    DALGLISH DOING 'VERY WELL' - HENRY

Liverpool owner John W Henry remained coy about the future of Kenny Dalglish but said the Scot was doing "very well" after watching the Reds win 2-0 at Sunderland on Sunday.
    Dalglish returned to the Anfield club's hotseat in January in place Roy Hodgson, on a deal until the end of the season, and the case for the 60-year-old to be handed the job on a permanent basis was only strengthened at the Stadium of Light.
    Henry refused to go into details regarding discussions with Dalglish, saying that was not 'the Liverpool way', but seemed pleased with the progress being made on the field.
    When asked about a new contract, Henry said in the Daily Telegraph: "What is going on in that regard is private.
    "It is something called 'the Liverpool way' and you do these things behind closed doors.
    "I am not going to talk about these things. He has done very well."
    Asked if there had been a change in mood since Dalglish took over the reins from Hodgson, Henry replied: "Absolutely, it's all very positive."
    In a seemingly veiled dig at Hodgson, the American added: "Someone was saying that people weren't happy here. But I think since that person left, people are happier."
    Dalglish, too, was relaxed about his future after the Reds took their tally under the Scot to 20 points from 10 league games with yesterday's win, which left them four points adrift of fifth-placed Tottenham, who have a game in hand.
    He said: "As regards the job, I have seen in the papers I have asked for four years. Well, I don't know who I asked.
    "I saw that I was offered two (years) - I don't know who sent that in.
    "Somebody said have I spoken to the owners - of course you speak to the owners, you speak to them regularly during the week.
    "It's their club and they are fantastic owners and they are very supportive owners.
    "But there have been no detailed discussions about next season, so until there is something that's to be said, we cannot make it up."
    Henry was impressed with what he saw on Wearside, when Dirk Kuyt's controversial penalty and a superb Luis Suarez goal clinched the points.
    "It was a great goal," Henry said of the Uruguayan's strike "He is a heck of a player."
    He added: "We are working on the future. We will have to have a lot of days like today to do that (finish fifth). This was a big three points, because this is a tough place."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 21-03-11

Gerard Houllier - still the man for Aston Villa.
    VILLA STILL COMMITTED TO HOULLIER

Gerard Houllier has again been assured about his future as Aston Villa manager despite fans repeating their calls for him to be sacked.
    Houllier came under fire from Villa supporters during and after the 1-0 home Barclays Premier League reversal against Wolves on Saturday.
    Fans chanted 'Houllier out' and 'You're getting sacked in the morning' after the final whistle as Villa dropped to within a point of the bottom three.
    There were also cries of 'You don't know what you're doing' and loud boos when he substituted winger Marc Albrighton midway through the second period.
    But Villa officials are adamant that Houllier will remain in charge and are confident the midlands club will survive in the top flight.
    A senior Villa source said: "Saturday was a bitterly disappointing day but nothing has changed.
    "We remain committted to the same long-term strategy. It's important we show unity from the boardroom to the management, from the terraces to the players."
    The source stressed there would be no panic measures if Villa were in a similar position as the reaches its climax.
    When asked if Houllier will stay to the end of the season and beyond, the source added: "Of course. I don't see why people would react so extremely and expect differently.
    "I haven't seen anything in Gerard's body language that suggests he is losing faith.
    "We have eight games to go and we have more than enough to believe we will stay up.
    "We know we're in a battle and we're going to have to scrap, but we're in this scrap together.
    "I can't see how changing things with four games to go would have any positive impact on how the team plays anyway."
    There was a similar scenario two months ago after a home defeat by Sunderland which saw Villa drop into the bottom three.
    But Houllier survived that onslaught, signed Darren Bent for a club-record fee of 24million, and remains confident now he can steer Villa away from the threat of relegation.
    Houllier said: "We need 10 points (to be safe) and we will get them. I am confident about that.
    "Everyone is concerned about the fact we are going through a tough period.
    "We are all worried. The players are worried. We have quality players and I think we will do it (ensure safety).
    "I am convinced we have everything it takes.
    "It will be a fight but 'game on'. I would love to have something different to aim at but that's what it is.
    "Let's be realistic. I am not a dreamer, by far."

Uploads

Carlo Ancelotti - content at the Bridge.
    ANCELOTTI CONTENT FOR NOW

Carlo Ancelotti has admitted this season will be his last at Chelsea if he or Roman Abramovich are "not happy" for him to stay beyond the summer.
    But Blues boss Ancelotti insisted on Sunday he was more than content at Stamford Bridge, reacting in a relaxed manner to comments from chief executive Ron Gourlay, who had said earlier in the day: "Let's see where we are at the end of May, then we'll judge the coach and other people at the football club."
    Ancelotti, whose contract expires next year, said: "I'm happy in this moment, so I think we will continue."
    But he also added: "If one party - the club or myself - is not happy to continue, I think we'll have to..."
    The Italian then produced a 'cut-off' gesture, indicating a parting of the ways.
    Ancelotti was backed by Abramovich at the end of last year after overseeing Chelsea's worst run in the Barclays Premier League for almost 15 years.
    He said: "I know very well that this team slept for two months and, in that moment, I had fantastic support from the team.
    "A lot of coaches that sleep for two months, at this moment, are at home watching the game on television. I am here - fortunately."
    Abramovich's faith in Ancelotti may yet pay off, with the Italian masterminding a late surge in their defence of the Premier League title.
    And the Chelsea boss has challenged his players to complete one of the great title comebacks after watching them maintain their faint hopes of retaining their crown by beating Manchester City.
    The champions left it late before David Luiz and Ramires sealed a 2-0 win at Stamford Bridge which lifted them above their opponents into third place and moved them back within nine points of Manchester United with a game in hand.
    Anything other than a victory almost certainly would have killed off Ancelotti's men but, with their next five league games coming against sides in the lower reaches of the table, they now have an ideal opportunity to pounce on further United slip-ups during the next month.
    "We have to try to win every game," said Ancelotti.
    "Now there'll be an international break. When the players come back, I'd like to see the same spirit and attitude."
    Sunday's defeat all but killed off City's own slim title aspirations and also cast doubt on their top-four credentials.
    Assistant boss David Platt refused to expand on reports of a bust-up between manager and Roberto Mancini and striker Mario Balotelli after Thursday night's Europa League game against Dynamo Kiev.
    "What happened on Thursday happened on Thursday," Platt said of the spat which allegedly took place following Balotelli's sending-off.
    "He remains part of our squad."
    Meanwhile, Chelsea confirmed they were "looking into" allegations City's players and referee Chris Foy were the victims of a laser pen attack during Sunday's game.

Uploads

Anthony Stokes - looking to leave Celtic.
    STOKES HEADING FOR CELTIC EXIT?

Anthony Stokes wants to leave Celtic after being kept on the bench for Sunday's Co-operative Insurance Cup final defeat by Rangers at Hampden, according to his father.
    The Irishman, who has scored 17 goals for the Hoops this season, was reportedly furious that he was not stripped for action even though the Parkhead side were losing 2-1 and desperate for a goal.
    Stokes' dad John, who acts as his agent, wants his son to slap in a transfer request.
    "It is crazy that Anthony didn't play when he is Celtic's top scorer," he told the Scottish Sun.
    "Neil Lennon has to understand that. He isn't going to be at Celtic if he doesn't play against Rangers or in the big games.
    "My advice to him is to move from Celtic and put in a transfer request immediately. I think he will because he has told me he wants out.
    "What is the point of being a Celtic player if you don't play in games like that? For whatever reason Lennon just doesn't fancy him.
    "They obviously don't trust him to play against Rangers.
    "He was absolutely furious on the bench. I know that he is furious that Lennon doesn't have the confidence in him."

Uploads

Kenny Dalglish - cool over future.
    DALGLISH CALM OVER REDS FUTURE

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish will be happy to leave his contract talks until the time is right after guiding the club to another Barclays Premier League victory.
    The Reds took their tally under the Scot to 20 points from 10 league games with a 2-0 win at Sunderland which left them four points adrift of fifth-placed Tottenham, who have a game in hand.
    They did so amid much speculation over Dalglish's future, but he is remaining relaxed as he plots the way forward on the pitch.
    He said: "As regards the job, I have seen in the papers I have asked for four years. Well, I don't know who I asked.
    "I saw that I was offered two (years) - I don't know who sent that in. Somebody said have I spoken to the owners - of course you speak to the owners, you speak to them regularly during the week.
    "It's their club and they are fantastic owners and they are very supportive owners.
    "But there have been no detailed discussions about next season, so until there is something that's to be said, we cannot make it up.
    "Until there's something to be said, there's nothing.
    "For me, that's not a problem. The football club has always been the most important thing bar one instance (the 1989 Hillsborough disaster), and that's why I left the job the last time.
    "I don't have a problem. There is no pressure on anyone. I don't have a problem if it is in the best interests of the football club."

Uploads

Carlo Ancelotti - contract runs for one more season.
    NO CHELSEA GUARANTEES FOR ANCELOTTI

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay has stopped short of guaranteeing Carlo Ancelotti would still be manager next season but insisted the club were "happy" with the season so far.
    Gourlay reiterated that Ancelotti's contract runs for a further season, and said the club understood the league title could not be won every year.
    However, when asked directly if Ancelotti would stay on, Gourlay did not give a straight answer.
    "All you can say is that Carlo has a contract with the club until 2012," he said on Radio Five Live's Sportsweek.
    "We're delighted with Carlo and what he's achieved so far. These things can be pretty fickle. Carlo has come in and won the double last season. Yes, the expectations are high, but they are high at many clubs around Europe and we've got to be realistic.
    "Let's see where we are at the end of May."
    Chelsea are fourth in the Premier League after run of poor results saw them surrender a once-comfortable lead at the top of the table.
    They can go third later on Sunday if they beat Manchester City to leapfrog them in the table.
    Gourlay did give an endorsement to Ancelotti's qualities as a manager.
    "Carlos is a world class coach," he said.
    "You look at his record and it speaks for itself. His record at Chelsea in a short time, winning the double in the first season in a new league, coming out of Italy, is a great feat.
    "This is a strong, competitive league, but his knowledge of the game is second to none and he holds a dressing room well.
    "He's won the Champions League twice as a coach and twice as a player so he's been there and done it.
    "We understand it is very, very difficult to win trophies every year. What's very important for this club is to be competiting for trophies in the latter stages of every competition."
    Gourlay did not offer specific targets for Chelsea to meet over the remainder of this season.
    "We're realistic," he said.
    "You can't win the double, you can't win the treble every year. But we want to see progress in the club every year.
    "All I can say is that Carlo has a contract until 2012. We were delighted with last season, and we're happy with the way it's going this season.
    "We're coming to the sharp end now, we've got 10 games left in the league and we have a fantastic draw (against Manchester United) in the Champions League.
    "Our expectations are high and we've got to keep driving the club forward."
    Gourlay also said owner Roman Abramovich's commitment to the club is as strong as ever, as highlighted by his investment of 70million in Fernando Torres and David Luiz in January.
    "Roman is fabulous in his support," Gourlay said. "He likes to be involved in the process, he likes to understand our decision-making and process and, to be honest, that's the best way for the club to move forward."

Uploads

Pepe Reina - 'I want to win titles'.
    REINA HINTS AT LIVERPOOL EXIT

Liverpool goalkeeper Pepe Reina has hinted he could quit the club unless they strengthen and become competitive again.
    The Spain international joined from Villarreal in 2005 and is used to fighting for the titles and playing Champions League football for the Reds.
    However, Liverpool's plight has declined in recent seasons and they now sit in sixth place with a 21-point deficit to leaders Manchester United.
    The club invested heavily in January following Fernando Torres' departure to Chelsea with swoops for England international Andy Carroll and Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez.
    Reina wants to play for a competitive team and lift the Premier League title as the 28-year-old does not know how many years he has left in the game.
    "We have to strengthen," Reina told the Daily Star. "If we want to improve then we have to do that.
    "It is our duty to be strong, to get better.
    "The only thing I can do is train and do my best. Who knows if I have got years left?
    "It's not about being patient. It's about the club winning and I want to be competitive.
    "We used to fight to be among the top team and be in the Champions League.
    "Sadly that's not the case now. I want to win titles."

Uploads

Gareth Bale - new Tottenham deal.
    GARETH BALE SIGNS NEW SPURS DEAL

Gareth Bale has signed a new four-and-a-half year contract at Tottenham.
    The 21-year-old winger has earned a global reputation this season after some outstanding displays in the Champions League, highlighted by his hat-trick against Inter Milan at the San Siro.
    Manager Harry Redknapp told the club's website: "It's great to have Gareth sign a new contract at the club.
    "He is a fantastic player and the type of player we need to be keeping at Spurs.
    "Gareth is now one of the top left-sided players in the world, he really is an amazing talent and can only get better. He is a smashing lad as well which is equally as important."

Uploads

Fernando Torres - 'always dangerous'.
    MANCINI BACKS TORRES TO COME GOOD

Roberto Mancini is certain Fernando Torres will come good for Chelsea - he just does not want the 50million striker to start his renaissance against Manchester City on Sunday.
    Despite arriving at Stamford Bridge amid a huge fanfare following his British record move from Liverpool in January, Torres is still to score for his new club.
    Sunday will mark the Spain star's seventh appearance for the Blues, with victory essential for both sides if they are to stand a chance of overhauling Manchester United and Arsenal in the Premier League title race.
    Likening Torres' struggles to those of his own Edin Dzeko, who has scored four times since a 27million transfer window arrival from Wolfsburg but is still to open his Premier League account and has struggled to gain a regular starting spot recently, Mancini realises the quality will shine through eventually.
    "Torres is a fantastic player," he said.
    "Maybe he is like Edin at this moment because they are both in new teams and it is not easy. You need time to understand different team-mates.
    "But Torres is always dangerous. And like Edin, when he starts to score he will be a big problem for opposition defences."
    Mancini surprised many observers earlier this season when he declared Chelsea would win the title "easily".
    He repeated the assertion often enough to feel he genuinely believed it, even if City were supposed to be aiming for the same target.
    However, it has not turned out that way and City approach Sunday's encounter with their noses in front of Carlo Ancelotti's men, even if they have played a game more.
    Yet Mancini has not written Chelsea off just yet.
    With all their senior players back, the Blues chief feels they can still have a major impact over the testing run-in.
    "Maybe they could still win it because we have a long way to go," he said.
    "Chelsea had the same problem that we have at this moment. They had four or five important players injured for a long time.
    "This is why their form wasn't so good. But with the Champions League in the middle, anything can happen."
    Of course, his own focus must be on City, who at least know they now only have one game a week to play following their disappointing Europa League exit to Dynamo Kiev.
    Mario Balotelli's apology for his red card shame on Thursday has given Mancini fresh cause for thought, having originally stated he intended to leave the fiery striker out of such a key game.
    However, the chances were Balotelli would have been amongst those to lose their starting place anyway, with James Milner and Dzeko in line to freshen up Mancini's flagging troops.
    "I can make changes," he said.
    "James Milner is okay again and there might be another two or three players as well."
    Boasting three successive victories against Sunday's opponents, City have every reason to be confident, even if Mancini's constant talk of tiredness within the camp may undermine their chances of success.
    The prize for a win would go beyond the three points as it would solidify City's claims for a coveted top four spot, the minimum pre-season expectation laid down by the club's ambitious Abu Dhabi-based owners.
    Mancini is wary of predicting a repeat of last season's 4-2 triumph in the corresponding fixture. But he hopes for the best anyway.