Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 22-03-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 22-03-11

Latest Transfer Update at 22-03-11

Bellamy - still has a season on his Man City contract.
    BELLAMY 'UNLIKELY' TO STAY AT CARDIFF

Craig Bellamy admits it is "very unlikely" he will return to Cardiff City next season, but acknowledged it would be "uncomfortable" to go back to Manchester City if Roberto Mancini is still manager.
    Wales international Bellamy is spending the season on loan at Cardiff after falling out of favour with Mancini at City and has scored eight goals in 27 appearances.
    A permanent deal at Cardiff is likely to be out of reach, even if the club secure promotion to the Premier League, and Bellamy is braced for a return to City.
    He has a further year left on his contract at Eastlands, but accepts it could be a difficult season if Mancini remains City boss.
    "Even if Cardiff are promoted, I feel it's very unlikely I'd stay," Bellamy told the Daily Mirror.
    "It is not an option to have another year on loan here - I don't want to be on loan anywhere next season.
    "The deal Man City did with Cardiff was for them to pay a lot of my wages but if we got promoted, they would have to buy me. It sounded romantic in August but if we look at it money-wise, it's probably not going to happen.
    "It is difficult because I do have another year at Man City. I could be there the whole year and not be involved. It would not be ideal for anyone if that happens. It certainly wouldn't be ideal for them.
    "I will have to be at Man City because I have a year left, but it will be an uncomfortable situation for everyone really, if Mancini is still in charge.
    "There's nothing I can do. He is the manager. He chooses the squad - and rightly so."
    Bellamy added: "You never know whether it could still work out for me there. It all depends who you are working with. That's the key.
    "If it was [Jose] Mourinho, you don't see many players who can't work with him or he can't revive. Or Harry Redknapp. Certain managers have that gift."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 22-03-11

Mick McCarthy - going nowhere.
    MICK McCARTHY EXPECTS TO STAY

Mick McCarthy believes he will be manager of Wolves next season whether or not they are relegated from the Barclays Premier League.
    McCarthy has praised the unity and consistency shown by club owner Steve Morgan and chief executive Jez Moxey during the battle for survival.
    Wolves remain in the bottom three despite a run of eight points from the past four games.
    But McCarthy's position has never been under threat.
    "I've had that consistency from above and the club and, whatever happens, you will be talking to me next season," he said.
    "There has been a consistency from Steve Morgan, Jez Moxey, Mick McCarthy, the players, everyone connected with the club, and I think the fans have bought into that.
    "Am I a bad manager if I'm in the bottom three? I've got more points than this time last year.
    "It is so easy when a manager is having it tough for everyone to turn against him and suddenly you are out of the door.
    "I was looking at the manager of the year awards. Steve Coppell has got two in the last few years, George Burley, and suddenly they find themselves out of work.
    "They are not bad managers. Sometimes the fit is wrong. Sometimes it just doesn't work."

Uploads

Hoilett - contract talks on hold.
    HOILETT TALKS PUT ON HOLD

Blackburn manager Steve Kean wants to wait until the end of the season before discussing a new contract with Junior Hoilett.
    The forward has impressed of late by scoring in his last two appearances, including a last-gasp equaliser against Blackpool at the weekend.
    He is starting to establish himself as a fixture in Kean's first-team plans at Ewood Park and has a further season to run on his current contract.
    However, with Blackburn battling to stay in the Premier League, Kean wants the focus to stay on the fight for survival rather than talks over players' futures.
    "What I don't want to do is get into contract negotiations now and take away from the type of form he's in," said Kean.
    "Let's just keep him playing like that and then, come the end of the season, sit him down and agree a new long-term deal."
    Rovers are currently 13th in the table, but are just one point outside the bottom three and travel to title-chasing Arsenal in their next match after the international break.

Uploads

Anthony Stokes - denies exit talk.
    STOKES DISMISSES CELTIC EXIT REPORTS

Anthony Stokes has dismissed reports that he wants to leave Celtic having not featured in the Co-operative Insurance Cup final on Sunday.
    The Irishman, who has scored 17 goals for the Hoops this season, was reportedly furious that he was not called upon at Hampden Park, acording to his father John.
    But the player tweeted: "Don't know where this story has come from but not exactly the first thing you want to see in the morning...simple as this...going nowhere."

Uploads

Kenny Dalglish - praised by Liverpool owner.
    DALGLISH DOING 'VERY WELL' - HENRY

Liverpool owner John W Henry remained coy about the future of Kenny Dalglish but said the Scot was doing "very well" after watching the Reds win 2-0 at Sunderland on Sunday.
    Dalglish returned to the Anfield club's hotseat in January in place Roy Hodgson, on a deal until the end of the season, and the case for the 60-year-old to be handed the job on a permanent basis was only strengthened at the Stadium of Light.
    Henry refused to go into details regarding discussions with Dalglish, saying that was not 'the Liverpool way', but seemed pleased with the progress being made on the field.
    When asked about a new contract, Henry said in the Daily Telegraph: "What is going on in that regard is private.
    "It is something called 'the Liverpool way' and you do these things behind closed doors.
    "I am not going to talk about these things. He has done very well."
    Asked if there had been a change in mood since Dalglish took over the reins from Hodgson, Henry replied: "Absolutely, it's all very positive."
    Dalglish, too, was relaxed about his future after the Reds took their tally under the Scot to 20 points from 10 league games with yesterday's win, which left them four points adrift of fifth-placed Tottenham, who have a game in hand.
    He said: "As regards the job, I have seen in the papers I have asked for four years. Well, I don't know who I asked.
    "I saw that I was offered two (years) - I don't know who sent that in.
    "Somebody said have I spoken to the owners - of course you speak to the owners, you speak to them regularly during the week.
    "It's their club and they are fantastic owners and they are very supportive owners.
    "But there have been no detailed discussions about next season, so until there is something that's to be said, we cannot make it up."
    Henry was impressed with what he saw on Wearside, when Dirk Kuyt's controversial penalty and a superb Luis Suarez goal clinched the points.
    "It was a great goal," Henry said of the Uruguayan's strike "He is a heck of a player."
    He added: "We are working on the future. We will have to have a lot of days like today to do that (finish fifth). This was a big three points, because this is a tough place."

Uploads

Gerard Houllier - still the man for Aston Villa.
    VILLA STILL COMMITTED TO HOULLIER

Gerard Houllier has again been assured about his future as Aston Villa manager despite fans repeating their calls for him to be sacked.
    Houllier came under fire from Villa supporters during and after the 1-0 home Barclays Premier League reversal against Wolves on Saturday.
    Fans chanted 'Houllier out' and 'You're getting sacked in the morning' after the final whistle as Villa dropped to within a point of the bottom three.
    There were also cries of 'You don't know what you're doing' and loud boos when he substituted winger Marc Albrighton midway through the second period.
    But Villa officials are adamant that Houllier will remain in charge and are confident the midlands club will survive in the top flight.
    A senior Villa source said: "Saturday was a bitterly disappointing day but nothing has changed.
    "We remain committted to the same long-term strategy. It's important we show unity from the boardroom to the management, from the terraces to the players."
    The source stressed there would be no panic measures if Villa were in a similar position as the reaches its climax.
    When asked if Houllier will stay to the end of the season and beyond, the source added: "Of course. I don't see why people would react so extremely and expect differently.
    "I haven't seen anything in Gerard's body language that suggests he is losing faith.
    "We have eight games to go and we have more than enough to believe we will stay up.
    "We know we're in a battle and we're going to have to scrap, but we're in this scrap together.
    "I can't see how changing things with four games to go would have any positive impact on how the team plays anyway."
    There was a similar scenario two months ago after a home defeat by Sunderland which saw Villa drop into the bottom three.
    But Houllier survived that onslaught, signed Darren Bent for a club-record fee of 24million, and remains confident now he can steer Villa away from the threat of relegation.
    Houllier said: "We need 10 points (to be safe) and we will get them. I am confident about that.
    "Everyone is concerned about the fact we are going through a tough period.
    "We are all worried. The players are worried. We have quality players and I think we will do it (ensure safety).
    "I am convinced we have everything it takes.
    "It will be a fight but 'game on'. I would love to have something different to aim at but that's what it is.
    "Let's be realistic. I am not a dreamer, by far."

Uploads

Jim Gannon - moving on.
    JIM GANNON LEAVES PORT VALE

Jim Gannon has parted company with Port Vale after just three months and 15 games in charge at Vale Park.
    Mark Grew has been appointed as caretaker-manager and will take charge of first-team affairs, starting with the visit of Hereford on Tuesday night.
    Vale slipped out of the npower League Two play-off places following Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Accrington, prompting angry Vale fans to call for Gannon's head.
    The former Stockport and Peterborough manager led the team to four wins, four draws and seven defeats during his short tenure, despite the club occupying a top-seven position for the majority of the season.
    It marks the end of a tumultuous time at Vale Park for Gannon, who only took over in January following Micky Adams' defection to Sheffield United.
    Gannon and assistant Geoff Horsfield were involved in an argument on the way to Aldershot on February 25, which led to both men leaving the team coach. The bust-up was dealt with internally.
    He then refused to speak to the media after the defeat at Accrington and was led inside the Crown Ground for his own safety while fans protested against him.
    There was also a scene at the end of the game where defender Exodus Geohaghon and Valiants fans had a confrontation as the players left the pitch.

Uploads

Zubar - out for season.
    ZUBAR OUT FOR SEASON

Wolves defender Ronald Zubar will miss the remainder of the season because of a back injury.
    The 25-year-old, signed from Marseille in 2009, has undergone surgery on the injury, which had been troubling him in recent weeks.
    Wolves boss Mick McCarthy told his club's official website, www.wolves.co.uk: "Zubes has had his operation on his back and he's out for the season."
    McCarthy, whose team improved their hopes of avoiding relegation from the Barclays Premier League with victory at Aston Villa on Saturday, continued: "Ronald's been an important player for us and it's a blow, but we can't do anything about it. His performances have been fantastic."
    Zubar's last appearance was in the 4-0 defeat of Blackpool on February 26.
    McCarthy was full of praise for the form of Kevin Foley, who has regained his place in the starting line-up as a result of Zubar's injury problems.
    He said: "His performances have been fantastic - we've got another top lad playing there now."
    The manager is optimistic he will have more options as the season reaches its conclusion.
    Elsewhere among the recovering contingent Stephen Hunt and Adlene Guedioura have joined Michael Kightly back in training, although Dave Edwards is still undergoing treatment.
    McCarthy added: "Hunty and Adlene are back in training but Dave is still struggling with his back. Everyone else is fine.
    "We'll maybe get a training game into Adlene at the end of the week before he plays in the reserves against Blackpool a week on Wednesday."

Uploads

Davis - withdrawn with hamstring injury.
    DAVIS FORCED OUT OF SQUAD

Northern Ireland have suffered a blow ahead of their Euro 2012 qualifier against Serbia on Friday in Belgrade.
    Influential Rangers midfielder Steven Davis has withdrawn from the squad with a hamstring strain.
    Davis was injured yesterday after scoring the opening goal in Rangers' 2-1 victory over Celtic in the Co-operative Insurance Cup final at Hampden Park.
    Northern Ireland have had a mixed start in the qualifying campaign, beating Slovenia, drawing with Italy and then the Faroe Islands in their last competitive outing.
    Friday's game will be played behind closed doors after trouble flared at Serbia's game in Italy.
    However, 200 Northern Ireland fans have been given special dispensation by UEFA to attend.
    Nigel Worthington's side then face Slovenia a week on Tuesday in Belfast, but it is unclear whether Davis will be available.

Uploads

Gera - would like to stay in England.
    GERA ATTRACTS OVERSEAS INTEREST

Zoltan Gera's agent has revealed his client is considering approaches from Spain and Italy.
    The Fulham forward is set to drop into the free agent pool this summer, with his contract at Craven Cottage running down.
    He is in a position to discuss possible pre-contract terms with overseas suitors, with it clear he will not be extending his association with the Cottagers.
    The Hungary international's representative admits Gera would prefer to stay in England if given the choice, but claims he is willing to consider all offers.
    Vlada Filipovic told skysports.com: "Zoltan is free in the summer and a few clubs from Italy and Spain have recently made enquires as he can sign a pre-contract abroad.
    "There was interest and offers from clubs in the January window to take him but the manager [Mark Hughes] wanted to keep him.
    "Of course he would like to remain in the Premier League but he is also open to a new challenge abroad.
    "Zoltan is away with the national team at the moment. Once he is back we will have a discussion and start looking towards his future."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast