Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 23-03-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 23-03-11

Latest Transfer Update at 23-03-11

Mourinho - would like to return to England.
    JOSE MOURINHO PLANS PREM RETURN

Jose Mourinho has re-iterated his desire to return to the Barclays Premier League to tackle "unfinished business".
    The Portuguese coach left Chelsea in 2007 after a hugely successful spell at Stamford Bridge before winning the Serie A title and Champions League with Inter Milan last season.
    He is currently at Real Madrid in Spain - where he is contracted for another three years - but maintains he is planning to return to England sooner rather than later.
    "I miss England and my next job will be in England," he told The Sun. "There is unfinished business.
    "And I think England wants me back, no? It was the most enjoyable time of my career."
    Focusing on Madrid's fortunes, Mourinho believes his team has the edge on Tottenham and is confident he can end the London club's Champions League odyssey in the quarter-finals.
    Spurs' debut Champions League campaign has already delivered famous wins against Inter Milan and AC Milan, and the reward for Harry Redknapp's side is a glamourous last-eight encounter against the Spanish giants.
    Mourinho concedes he has some misgivings about coming up against the tournament dark horses, but admits he is at least approaching the tie with more relish than he did last year's last-16 encounter with former club Chelsea.
    "I didn't want Chelsea-Inter, because last season it was difficult to play against Chelsea," he told BBC Radio 5.
    "I did it, and I did everything I could to help my team, but I was not comfortable. I don't like to play against my friends.
    "Any team is difficult and any team is a motivation for us. Tottenham are a good team: they beat Inter, they beat Milan, they have ambitions, they have a very good team and a good manager.
    "You can feel that it is a happy team, and happy teams are dangerous teams."
    Asked whether Spurs could produce an upset and go all the way, Mourinho added: "It's possible. They have a not very easy draw, but they have not had an easy draw from the beginning."
    Mourinho's former captain at Chelsea, John Terry, hit the headlines this week after being restored as England skipper a year after losing the armband following revelations about his private life.
    The Portuguese refused to comment on the rights and wrongs of the matter, but admitted that England remain in good hands no matter which player dons the armband.
    "I don't want to go in that direction, I don't know completely the process. I just think, because I know him, he's a great captain," he said.
    "I have never worked with Rio Ferdinand before, but I have no doubts that Rio is also a great captain.
    "For some national teams it is difficult to choose (a captain), in England they have so many people with the character to be captains - Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard.
    "The English national team is full of big personalities and big players."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 23-03-11

Ally McCoist - will succeed Walter Smith.
    McCOIST TO CARRY ON REGARDLESS

Rangers assistant Ally McCoist will operate on the basis that there will be no takeover when he picks up the managerial reins at Ibrox next season.
    The legendary Gers striker will replace Walter Smith at the helm but remains in the dark over Craig Whyte's proposed 33m purchase of the Glasgow club.
    El-Hadji Diouf, Kyle Bartley, Vladimir Weiss and Richard Foster are all set to leave at the end of loan spells while David Weir, Sasa Papac and David Healy are out of contract in the summer - and Smith has outlined the problems facing his successor.
    He said: "We're not in a good place. We need investment because we'll lose those players, plus Sasa Papac hasn't signed his contract. That's the problem we have.
    "It's a concern because there's a downsizing of your group to start with and that leads to you having a lesser level of player. That's the biggest danger the club faces at present. Hopefully, the situation will be resolved, but there are problems ahead.
    "They'll proceed on the basis there will be no change in owner. They know exactly what's in store if the club remains in the same position. You are hoping the takeover takes place. I won't say we're in limbo but we've been going down this road for the last few years now. It has to come to a head at some stage or other.
    "Someone is looking to buy the club at the present moment, so we have to wait and see what happens."

Uploads

Chris Maguire - future yet to be resolved.
    ABERDEEN WAIT ON MAGUIRE

Aberdeen are facing an anxious wait to find out whether key forward Chris Maguire will extend his contract at Pittodrie.
    The 22-year-old is out of contract in the summer and his agent Willie McKay has claimed he seeks a fresh challenge - but the Dons have not given up hope of keeping their man.
    McKay said: "Chris has rejected Aberdeen's latest contract offer as it stands. Chris understands the current economics in Scottish football but he feels the offer does not match what he feels he deserves.
    "Chris has been at Aberdeen for 10 years and maybe the time is right for a new challenge. I am talking to a number of clubs about Chris and we will decide what is the best option for him."
    But Dons manager Craig Brown is retaining hope, and said: "We are determined to keep Chris Maguire. It is very difficult to compete with some of the finances spoken about but we have made him a very competitive offer.
    "There is also the issue of compensation which will have to be addressed if he does decide to go."
    Midfielders Rob Milsom and Derek Young, defender Zander Diamond, goalkeeper Jamie Langfield and attacker Sone Aluko are also nearing the end of their deals with the club.

Uploads

Michael Emenalo - press story 'nonsense'.
    CHELSEA REJECT EMENALO REPORTS

Chelsea have dismissed reports that assistant manager Michael Emenalo had discussed the club's transfer targets with journalists as "nonsense".
    It has been claimed Emenalo revealed the Blues' interest in three players, including 19-year-old Hadjuk Split striker Ante Vukusic, to Croatian newspaper Sports Kenovsti during a visit to Zagreb at the weekend.
    But Chelsea have denied any such conversations had taken place.
    A spokesman said: "The story is nonsense. Michael Emenalo didn't speak to any journalists nor make any such remarks."
    Emenalo was reportedly in the Croatian capital on Saturday to watch Hadjuk Split's match against Dinamo Zagreb.
    The Nigerian was appointed Carlo Ancelotti's assistant following the controversial sacking of Ray Wilkins last November.
    Meanwhile, Chelsea are continuing their investigation into allegations that Manchester City's players and referee Chris Foy were the victims of a laser pen attack during Sunday's Barclays Premier League game at Stamford Bridge.
    The Football Association confirmed on Monday they were awaiting the Blues' observations before deciding whether to take any action over the matter.

Uploads

Bellamy - still has a season on his Man City contract.
    BELLAMY 'UNLIKELY' TO STAY AT CARDIFF

Craig Bellamy admits it is "very unlikely" he will return to Cardiff City next season, but acknowledged it would be "uncomfortable" to go back to Manchester City if Roberto Mancini is still manager.
    Wales international Bellamy is spending the season on loan at Cardiff after falling out of favour with Mancini at City and has scored eight goals in 27 appearances.
    A permanent deal at Cardiff is likely to be out of reach, even if the club secure promotion to the Premier League, and Bellamy is braced for a return to City.
    He has a further year left on his contract at Eastlands, but accepts it could be a difficult season if Mancini remains City boss.
    "Even if Cardiff are promoted, I feel it's very unlikely I'd stay," Bellamy told the Daily Mirror.
    "It is not an option to have another year on loan here - I don't want to be on loan anywhere next season.
    "The deal Man City did with Cardiff was for them to pay a lot of my wages but if we got promoted, they would have to buy me. It sounded romantic in August but if we look at it money-wise, it's probably not going to happen.
    "It is difficult because I do have another year at Man City. I could be there the whole year and not be involved. It would not be ideal for anyone if that happens. It certainly wouldn't be ideal for them.
    "I will have to be at Man City because I have a year left, but it will be an uncomfortable situation for everyone really, if Mancini is still in charge.
    "There's nothing I can do. He is the manager. He chooses the squad - and rightly so."
    Bellamy added: "You never know whether it could still work out for me there. It all depends who you are working with. That's the key.
    "If it was [Jose] Mourinho, you don't see many players who can't work with him or he can't revive. Or Harry Redknapp. Certain managers have that gift."

Uploads

Man Utd's owners made a 100m-plus loss.
    MAN UTD OWNERS REPORT LOSS

Manchester United's owners made a 108.9million loss last year, according to their accounts.
    The loss by Red Football Joint Venture, the Glazer family's parent company that owns United, include some one-off costs from setting up the 526million bond scheme last year to replace their bank loans, according to accounts filed at Companies House.
    The lack of income from selling players also contributed to the loss for the year ending June 30, 2010 - the previous year the company had recorded 21million profit thanks largely to the 80million sale of Cristiano Ronaldo.
    Last year's losses included 30.2million interest on their 220million payment in kind (PIK) loans which have since been paid off.
    United's club accounts were published in October and revealed losses of 83.6million - the PIK interest payment is not included in the club accounts - but club chief executive David Gill said then there was 165million in the club's bank account and that they were in a healthy position.
    Gill said in October: "We have money in the bank so there is zero pressure on that, no pressure at all to sell any star player.
    "The philosophy is to retain and attract the best players. We have 165million in the bank but in some ways we would prefer to have 80million in the bank and Ronaldo on the pitch."
    The highest loss recorded by a Premier League club was Chelsea's 132million in 2005.

Uploads

Prieto - a Reds target, claims the player's agent.
    AGENT CLAIMS REDS CHASING PRIETO

Liverpool have been keeping tabs on Real Sociedad's highly-rated Spanish winger Xabi Prieto, according to the player's agent Miguel Angel Cermeno.
    Prieto, 27, is one of the key members that helped Sociedad win promotion to La Liga last season and his performances have drawn admiring glances from Anfield.
    Cermeno has claimed that scouts from the Anfield outfit have been present at a number of games, although he is yet to hear from the Reds.
    "No one has been in contact with me yet, although it is true that they (Liverpool) are interested and there have been a few Liverpool scouts watching him at various games," Cermeno said in Marca.
    Reports suggest Liverpool would be prepared to pay around 10 million (11.5 million) for Prieto.
    The wideman has represented Spain at Under-21 level, but has yet to be capped by the senior side.

Uploads

Phelan (left) - with his boss Alex Ferguson.
    PHELAN EYES FUTURE AS MANAGER

Manchester United assistant manager Mike Phelan has admitted he remains ambitious to be a manager - but has no intention of quitting Old Trafford just yet.
    Burnley made a tentative approach for the 48-year-old following the dismissal of Brian Laws last year.
    Phelan was not interested, although discussions did not actually reach as far as him.
    However, there will come a day - maybe when Sir Alex Ferguson calls it a day - when he branches out on his own.
    "There were tentative enquiries but it didn't get far," Phelan told the Lancashire Telegraph.
    "It didn't get to me. It got to the club and then it got knocked back.
    "Everything has to go through the right channels and when it does you get the asked do you fancy it or not. Sometimes you get told that you don't fancy it.
    "I have ambitions to be a manager. But I have unfinished business here.
    "I am 48 and I still consider that young."

Uploads

Benatia - close friends with Nasri since Marseille days.
    NASRI POINTS GUNNERS AT PAL BENATIA

Mehdi Benatia has revealed that Samir Nasri is keen for him to link up with Arsenal in the Premier League.
    The Morocco international is good friends with the Gunners midfielder from their time spent together at Marseille.
    Their paths have parted since then, with Nasri heading to England and Benatia trying his luck in Italy with Udinese.
    The 23-year-old has impressed during his time in Italy, fuelling speculation that he could be destined for bigger and better things.
    Benatia admits Nasri has already tried to tempt him into joining Arsenal, but for now he is refusing to read too much into their friendly banter.
    "He wants to do it," he told Gazzetta dello Sport when asked if a move to the Emirates had been discussed.
    "When I was in France, at a small club, he said to me: 'I am going to talk to Arsene Wenger'. I told him that he was crazy. Now he is even more decisive.
    "We're great friends. We got to know each other in Marseille. We shared a room."
    Benatia claims he has no desire to secure an imminent switch away from Udinese, with the club still in the running for the Serie A title.
    "I like Serie A," he continued.
    "I am very happy here and my wife Cecile is too. We live in the city centre. I'd like to have a great career in Udine.
    "Getting into the Europa League would be great. The Champions League is difficult even if there is quality at this club."

Uploads

Alves - new deal until 2015.
    ALVES AGREES NEW BARCA DEAL

Dani Alves has agreed a three-year contract extension with Barcelona, ending months of speculation over the Brazil full-back's future.
    The new deal, which will keep the 27-year-old with the reigning Spanish champions until June 30 2015, will be officially signed on Wednesday.
    The Brazil international joined Barca from Sevilla in a 29.5million euro deal in 2008 and has since gone on to become an integral part of Pep Guardiola's side.
    Speculation over Alves' future had been rife amid apparent interest from a host of top European clubs - with Manchester City reportedly tracking his availability - and today's announcement should finally quieten the rumour mill.
    Alves is currently with the Brazil squad ahead of this weekend's international friendly against Scotland in London.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast