Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 25-03-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 25-03-11

Latest Transfer Update at 25-03-11

Gallas - set for new deal.
    WILLIAM GALLAS SET FOR SPURS DEAL

Tottenham defender William Gallas is poised to sign a new contract to extend his stay at White Hart Lane.
    The veteran centre-back signed a one-year deal with Spurs in the summer following his release by North London rivals Arsenal.
    The former Chelsea player has become an integral member of Harry Redknapp's backline and has helped the club secure a place in the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League, where they will take on Real Madrid.
    France international Gallas admitted after the last-16 victory over AC Milan that he would welcome the opportunity to prolong his association with Spurs.
    And now Redknapp has confirmed that chairman Daniel Levy has opened discussions with the 33-year-old, who the experienced manager regards as 'one of the signings of the season'.
    "The chairman's doing a deal," Redknapp told the Daily Telegraph.
    "William fully deserve it, he has been top class. He's a nice man, a quiet man who just gets on with it.
    "He could have gone abroad during the summer and made money, but the deal he did with us was an awful lot less than he was on at Arsenal.
    "He has been one of the signings of the season. He has been magnificent for us and has played nearly all the games."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 25-03-11

Capello - backed by his players.
    Gareth Barry insists the England players retain full faith in Fabio Capello and admits they are now more relaxed and at ease when dealing with the demands of his regime.
    But the Manchester City midfielder also feels there are lessons to be learnt from the 2010 World Cup with England cocooned in their Rustenburg training complex and "on top of each other too much".
    England will look to take another step towards putting right their woeful performance in South Africa by defeating Wales in Saturday's Euro 2012 qualifier in Cardiff.
    Barry said: "Do the players still have faith in Capello? Yes I think so. As a group altogether and the manager, we all took responsibility for what happened at the World Cup.
    "Now our job is to qualify for Euro 2012. It's been a pretty solid start.
    "The 0-0 draw at home to Montenegro (in October) wasn't perfect but, if we can get a good win on Saturday, the confidence and belief will still be there.
    "We are fully backing the manager."
    When asked if Capello has changed as a manager since the World Cup, Barry said: "On the training pitch nothing has changed. He's still pretty hands on. If there's anything not right he's stamping down on it.
    "Maybe around the hotel, he's maybe a bit more relaxed.
    "I think the players seem a bit more relaxed around the manager. Before players were turning up 20 minutes before meetings, if you like. It just seems the players are a bit more relaxed around the manager. Everyone seems to know him a lot more rather than when he first came in.
    "It was a bit more pressure on the players to be everywhere spot on the right time."
    England found themselves isolated at that World Cup training base in contrast to other countries.
    Barry said: "In terms of where we were, the complex could not be any better.
    "I probably would say, speaking to other players at the World Cup, they were set in a hotel where they could walk about, get a feel for the area.
    "They could go into town, spend a couple of hours there and then go back.
    "That was probably the main difference (to England). Maybe we were just on top of each other too much."
    Barry had to overcome an ankle injury at the 11th hour in time to play in the World Cup but is adamant he deserved his fair share of criticism.
    He said: "I got myself fit enough to play. I got the injury at a bad time but, if you're out there on the pitch, you are there to be judged on how you perform.
    "I'm not looking for any excuses and the stick we got was deserved. We went out very early in the tournament and we were really disappointed.
    "Germany (in the last 16 match) wasn't a good day. On the highest stage things went wrong. The performance was one of those you want to forget about."
    Barry added: "That's in the past now. People talk about pressure still being on the players because of the World Cup showing.
    "But that's always going to be there. England are always going to have that.
    "We should be qualifying for this competition whether there's pressure on or not. It's another big game for us on Saturday."
    Barry is adamant there is no issue with John Terry being reinstated by Capello as captain in place of Rio Ferdinand.
    He said: "It's getting the publicity it probably deserves but now it's been sorted it's probably time to move on.
    "The decision that has been made has been recognised by the players. We were all pretty comfortable with the decision he has made.
    "Obviously, since Rio was made captain he has been so unfortunate with injuries and the timing of them. It's tough on him.
    "But we feel comfortable with John being captain. He did a great job before and I'm sure he will again.
    "I think if someone felt that strongly about it, I'm sure they would have spoken up.
    "If you're not happy you've got to be brave enough to say something. The manager asked the question and nothing was said."

Uploads

Gervinho - wanted man.
    GERVINHO OPEN TO PREM SWITCH

Lille's in-demand striker Gervinho has refused to play down reports linking him with Newcastle.
    The Ivory Coast international has enjoyed a productive 2010/11 campaign, helping to fire his current employers to the top of Ligue 1.
    His exploits have thrust him into the European spotlight, with numerous clubs reported to be plotting summer raids.
    Spanish giants Atletico Madrid were believed to be leading the hunt, but the door remains open for other suitors to join the race.
    Newcastle could be among those prepared to chance their arm, with Alan Pardew in the market for a striker following the January sale of Andy Carroll to Liverpool.
    Gervinho admits he would welcome the opportunity to turn out in Spain or England, but insists any talk regarding his future must wait until the end of the season.
    "Newcastle are a good team," he said.
    "I have been linked to various teams now but I am still under contract at Lille until 2012, so I am not worrying.
    "We are top of the league and I want to win that. At the end of the season we can sit down and see what the next step will be. I want to concentrate on my football.
    "The Spanish and English leagues are two of the best in the world and it would be a privilege to play there, but I belong to Lille until 2012."

Uploads

Reid - confirmed Stephens has turned down move.
    STEPHENS REJECTS FULHAM MOVE

Plymouth Argyle teenager Jack Stephens has rejected a move to Fulham in order to stay at Home Park.
    The cash-strapped Pilgrims had agreed a 125,000 fee with Fulham for Stephens, who has made six appearances since making his debut last September.
    However, after visiting Fulham and the club's training ground, the 17-year-old has decided to continue his immediate career at Plymouth.
    Pilgrims boss Peter Reid said of Stephens, who can play at right-back or in midfield: "Jack has turned down Fulham.
    "He told me it was a superb set-up there and he had enjoyed having a look around, but he wanted to stay at Argyle and carry on his football education with us."
    Administrator Brendan Guilfoyle admitted the club had been hopeful of selling their youngster as the Pilgrims continue to struggle financially.
    Guilfoyle added: "You've got to remember he's a young kid, but we need funding, so I'm disappointed.
    "I'm exploring all avenues open to me but, at the moment, they aren't coming off."

Uploads

Di Vaio - new Bologna deal.
    DI VAIO AGREES NEW BOLOGNA DEAL

Veteran striker Marco Di Vaio will stay at Bologna after agreeing a new two-year contract with the club.
    The 34-year-old's existing deal expires in the summer.
    "I have reached an agreement with the club," Di Vaio said. "There were no problems.
    "I wanted to remain and the club wanted to keep me.
    "I am delighted because my dream of ending my career at Bologna is realised.
    "I want to thank the club, which at times of difficulty, has found the financial strength for my new contract."
    Di Vaio joined Bologna from Genoa in 2009 and earlier this year turned down an option to return to Juventus.
    The veteran striker is Bologna's top scorer with 18 league goals this season.
    "At Bologna there is passion, great history, a lot of respect," Di Vaio said.
    "I owe everything to this city and this club."
    Bologna are 10th in Serie A with 40 points from 30 games.

Uploads

Demichelis - would make Bayern return.
    DEMICHELIS HINTS AT MUNICH RETURN

Martin Demichelis would be interested in returning to Bayern Munich next season should his new club Malaga be relegated from the Primera Division.
    The Argentinian defender joined Malaga from Bayern in January for an undisclosed fee but has failed to spark a revival in their fortunes with the Andalucian club sitting in the drop zone.
    Demichelis is already eyeing a move back to the Allianz Arena, especially with coach Louis van Gaal, with whom he had an uneasy relationship, moving on at the end of the season.
    "I am certain that we will stay up because there is a lot of quality in the team, but if we don't manage it, against all expectations, and the new Bayern coach wants me, then I can certainly imagine a return to Munich," he told the Bild newspaper.
    "If we don't stay up, then I would have no problems about coming home."
    Demichelis played 174 games for Bayern before being dropped by Van Gaal earlier this season.

Uploads

Freedman - not looking to sell.
    FREEDMAN BACKS PALACE DUO

Dougie Freedman insists out-of-favour duo Owen Garvan and Andy Dorman have a future at Crystal Palace.
    The Palace pair have thus far failed to break into Freedman's first-team plans since he took charge at Selhurst Park in January.
    Both signings of previous manager George Burley, the midfielders have fallen foul of a need to stay solid in the centre of the park, with the club sitting just four points above the relegation zone.
    Garvan arrived at the club from Championship rivals Ipswich while Dorman was picked up via a free transfer from St Mirren, yet their current manager insists he has no plans to sell.
    "I've had to change things around since I took over," Freedman told Croydon Today.
    "We're playing with a different shape in midfield and the two of them haven't quite fitted in with the way I want to play.
    "They are both attacking players and, because of the situation we find ourselves in, we have tried to keep things a little bit more solid.
    "But I've no doubt chances will arise and it's down to Andy and Garvs to grab them when they come along.
    "They still have a big chance here. I'm in no rush to lose either of them and I've no doubt they can turn it round."

Uploads

Marshall - set to sign new deal.
    MARSHALL CLOSE TO NEW VILLA DEAL

Aston Villa's reserve goalkeeper Andy Marshall is set to sign a new contract with the Barclays Premier League strugglers.
    Marshall, 35, provides back-up to Brad Friedel and is in his second spell at the club.
    The former Coventry player has still to make his debut under Villa manager Gerard Houllier but he has impressed sufficiently to earn a new deal and has replaced Brad Guzan, now on loan at Hull, as the second-choice goalkeeper.
    Marshall, whose current contract ends in June, confirmed: "I'm just about to sign a new contract so it is very pleasing because I really enjoy being at this football club.
    "It can be frustrating (being back-up goalkeeper) but I've gone from number three to number two.
    "It will be hard to dislodge Brad Friedel who has been phenomenal and it will take an injury, not loss of form.
    "It's not being defeatist, it's being realistic."

Uploads

Brandao - leaves Marseille on loan.
    BRANDAO TO JOIN CRUZEIRO ON LOAN

Marseille striker Brandao has agreed a loan move to Cruzeiro until the end of the year, the French club have confirmed.
    The 31-year-old will return to his homeland of Brazil on a temporary contract which runs until December 31.
    OM club president Jean-Claude Dassier believes the move was unavoidable with Brandao currently being investigated by French police over a rape allegation.
    "His departure was inevitable for us all. It was no longer possible for the player to go outside and playing at the Stade Velodrome in these circumstances became impossible," he told the club's website, www.om.net.
    "It's a blow for the club. One more blow. This season is decidedly complicated.
    "But in our squad I know I can count on all the players and staff to make every effort to retain our title."
    Dassier also showed his gratitude to Brandao having spoken with the player yesterday before his departure.
    "I wish Brandao every success in Brazil. He has joined a great club and I hope this will have a positive outcome," he said.
    "I could not let him go without mentioning his future and everything he has done for the club.
    "I reminded him it was thanks to his brace against Toulouse in the semi-finals last season we won our first trophy of 2010, the Coupe de La Ligue."

Uploads

Balotelli - linked with Milan move.
    MAN CITY 'UNLIKELY' TO SELL BALOTELLI

Roberto Mancini insists Manchester City are unlikely to cut their losses on striker Mario Balotelli despite his disciplinary problems.
    Balotelli has endured a rollercoaster ride during his time at City having missed the early stages of his Eastlands career with a knee injury.
    He returned to action and scored his first Premier League goals in a 2-0 win at West Brom before seeing red, while he also bagged a hat-trick against Aston Villa before suffering further knee problems.
    Balotelli was then foolishly sent off for a ridiculous high challenge on Dynamo Kiev's Goran Popov in the Europa League last week.
    The Italian has been linked with a Serie A return with AC Milan, but Mancini insists there is nothing in the reports and that Balotelli should be staying put.
    "The problem is that it's written that the Rossoneri want him and that there's an agreement, it creates confusion and tension," explained Mancini to Il Giorno.
    "I personally don't mind, but it's unlikely that City will sell their good players.
    "Mario was very unfortunate with his knee problems. But, if he wants, he's in a position to change himself in games, but it depends on him."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast