Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-03-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 28-03-11

Latest Transfer Update at 28-03-11

Jose Mourinho - offered England job.
    MOURINHO: I WAS NEARLY ENGLAND BOSS

Jose Mourinho has revealed he came within "hours" of taking the England manager's job before the appointment of Fabio Capello.
    The Real Madrid boss said he would have been Steve McClaren's successor in 2007 had it not been for a last-minute change of heart.
    The Portuguese, who left Chelsea in September 2007, two months before McClaren was sacked by England, explained he decided late in the day he wanted to remain in club management.
    Mourinho said in an interview with French sports daily l'Equipe: "I was hours away - I almost signed up for the England national team.
    "But at the last minute I began thinking, 'I am going to coach a national side, there will be one match a month and the rest of the time I will be in my office or overseeing matches. And then to have to wait until the summer to compete in a European Championship or a World Cup'? No, it wasn't for me.
    "So at the last moment I pulled back, preferring to wait for the right job to come along, a good club, a challenge that could motivate me. That was Inter (Milan)."
    Mourinho was out of the game for nine months before being appointed Inter coach in June 2008, leaving them for Madrid last summer.
    "When I left Chelsea, the first month was fantastic. I went to Africa, to Japan, I did tons of things I had not been able to do," he added.
    "The second month was also good, but from the third onwards it was horrible, just awful."
    Mourinho admitted he also came close to taking the Paris St Germain job after leaving Stamford Bridge, but decided against it as he was not convinced by Ligue 1's quality.
    Asked why he did not take the PSG post, he said: "I do not know. Perhaps because of the feeling that England, Spain or Italy are more powerful leagues, and we must make the most of the best years of our career by working at the highest level."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-03-11

Alvaro Negredo - sees future at Sevilla.
    NEGREDO SNUB FOR SPURS

Sevilla striker Alvaro Negredo has quashed reports that he could be heading to Tottenham by pledging his future to the Primera Liga club.
    The Spain international had been linked with Tottenham, but has said he has no intention of following Brazilian striker Luis Fabiano, who rejoined old club Sao Paulo, out of Sevilla.
    Negredo, 25, joined Sevilla from Real Madrid for a club record €15million (13m) in the summer of 2009 and is the club's leading scorer in the league this season with 11 goals.
    "I feel more and more comfortable and relaxed here at Sevilla," said Negredo.
    "I want to continue with this club and form a good partnership with (Frederic) Kanoute to bring more titles to Sevilla."

Uploads

Paatelainen - contract talks.
    MIXU STAYING - FOR NOW

Mixu Paatelainen says he is staying on as Kilmarnock boss for now despite interest from Finland and Scunthorpe.
    The former Hibernian manager has ruled himself out of the running for the vacant manager's job at Scunthorpe after holding talks with the Championship strugglers.
    Kilmarnock have opened contract talks with Paatelainen over a new deal after his impressive work at Rugby Park.
    However, Paatelainen has refused to rule out a move to coach his native Finland as they seek a long-term replacement for Stuart Baxter.
    "People are making assumptions that I'm leaving Kilmarnock because I told Scunthorpe they wouldn't be my next stop," Paatelainen told the Daily Record.
    "But that's all it is. The Finnish FA will make their decision on who they want as their new coach in due course.
    "Before they make up their mind up, I don't have anything to say about Finland.
    "Until they make their move, I will carry on and go ahead with my job at Kilmarnock.
    "At the moment, they haven't decided who they want to go for.
    "I'm happy at Kilmarnock and I'll be delighted if I'm still here at the end of the season and beyond.
    "Everything is going well. We've had a good season and I have a fantastic relationship with the chairman.
    "Everything is spot on at the club and we're in talks about a new contract so we'll see how things develop.
    "Of course, it's an honour to play for your country and it's an even great honour to be manager.
    "If that was ever a possibility for me, obviously I'd have to give it serious consideration."

Uploads

thank''s my best friend

Uploads

Louis van Gaal - leaving Bayern in the summer.
    LAHM - VAN GAAL HAS TO GO

Philipp Lahm believes Bayern Munich have made the right decision in agreeing to cut ties with Louis van Gaal.
    The Dutchman will see out the remainder of the season at Allianz Arena, before stepping aside in the summer.
    Following a difficult and disappointing campaign for the Bundesliga giants, it is felt that a change in direction is required if the club are to return to the top of the German game.
    Lahm feels Bayern had no option but to inform Van Gaal that his contract would not be renewed, and he is looking forward to working with incoming coach Jupp Heynckes.
    "The change of manager is definitely right but we have all made mistakes, me included," he told BILD.
    "We have been too shaky at the back and not efficient enough in front of goal.
    "This is the way things are at Bayern - if you are not successful, you have to face the consequences."
    On the announcement that Heynckes is to return for a third spell at the club, Lahm added: "I have a good feeling about Heynckes. He knows Bayern and all of the decision-makers very well and it is certainly going to work out with him.
    "Bayern Munich and Jupp Heynckes - that sounds like a winning team."
    Before the new boss arrives, Bayern have to ensure that they finish inside the Bundesliga's top three, with Lahm admitting that a place in the Europa League would be considered a disaster.
    "The Europa League is smaller and less attractive in every respect," he said.
    "The cities, the clubs, the stadia, the attendance figures - everybody who works in football thinks this way.
    "At Bayern, we want to measure ourselves against the best in the world, not with the leftovers from a party."

Uploads

Jose Mourinho - offered England job.
    MOURINHO: I WAS NEARLY ENGLAND BOSS

Jose Mourinho has revealed he came within "hours" of taking the England manager's job before the appointment of Fabio Capello.
    The Real Madrid boss said he would have been Steve McClaren's successor in 2007 had it not been for a last-minute change of heart.
    The Portuguese, who left Chelsea in September 2007, two months before McClaren was sacked by England, explained he decided late in the day he wanted to remain in club management.
    Mourinho said in an interview with French sports daily l'Equipe: "I was hours away - I almost signed up for the England national team.
    "But at the last minute I began thinking, 'I am going to coach a national side, there will be one match a month and the rest of the time I will be in my office or overseeing matches. And then to have to wait until the summer to compete in a European Championship or a World Cup'? No, it wasn't for me.
    "So at the last moment I pulled back, preferring to wait for the right job to come along, a good club, a challenge that could motivate me. That was Inter (Milan)."
    Mourinho was out of the game for nine months before being appointed Inter coach in June 2008, leaving them for Madrid last summer.
    "When I left Chelsea, the first month was fantastic. I went to Africa, to Japan, I did tons of things I had not been able to do," he added.
    "The second month was also good, but from the third onwards it was horrible, just awful."
    Mourinho admitted he also came close to taking the Paris St Germain job after leaving Stamford Bridge, but decided against it as he was not convinced by Ligue 1's quality.
    Asked why he did not take the PSG post, he said: "I do not know. Perhaps because of the feeling that England, Spain or Italy are more powerful leagues, and we must make the most of the best years of our career by working at the highest level."
    (re-opens) The Football Association were quick to respond to Mourinho's comments.
    "Fabio was our first choice for England manager," a spokesman said. "We have made that clear from the outset."

Uploads

Adam - Blackpool focus.
    ADAM TRYING TO IGNORE OUTSIDE INTEREST

Charlie Adam has admitted he is flattered to have been linked with Manchester United, Liverpool and Tottenham.
    But the Scotland midfielder insists his sole focus is on helping keep Blackpool in the Barclays Premier League.
    United are the latest club reportedly interested in signing Tangerines playmaker Adam, who was the subject of unsuccessful bids from Liverpool and Spurs during the last transfer window.
    Adam said: "It's a privilege to be linked with these types of clubs but it's not just about me, it's about this club and my team-mates as well.
    "My club-mates have helped me and they've done well as well."
    Former Rangers youngster Adam, whose contract expires at the end of next season, insisted he knew "nothing" about his future beyond May.
    "I'm not concentrating on my future," the 25-year-old added.
    "I'm just worrying about my next eight games for my club and trying to keep Blackpool in the league because that's been the focus and that's always been the focus.
    "We'll see what happens, that's out of my hands, and I'll look forward to the next eight games and try to play as well as I can."
    After initially taking the Premier League by storm in their first top-flight season since 1971, Blackpool have won only one of their past 10 games to slip to a point above the relegation zone.
    Teams that go into freefall are often those which ultimately get relegated but Adam, who is also a Premier League rookie, said: "We're just focused on each game as it comes and playing the way we know we can.
    "At the end of the day, if we're good enough, we'll stay in the league. The table never lies."
    Ian Holloway's men could find themselves in the bottom three when they next take to the field at Fulham on Sunday, with all their relegation rivals playing the day before.
    Adam said: "Every game's huge for us.
    "From the start of the season right to the end, it's a big game.
    "So we'll look forward to it and try to get as many points as we can from now until the end of the season and hopefully it's good enough to stay in the league."

Uploads

Ruud van Nistelrooy - Blackburn transfer target.
    ROVERS CONFIRM VAN NISTELROOY INTEREST

Blackburn boss Steve Kean has revealed that they are interested in signing former Manchester United star Ruud van Nistelrooy.
    Van Nistelrooy, who is currently plying his trade at Hamburg, has previously admitted his interest in returning to England at some point in the future and Blackburn are ready to offer him that opportunity.
    Blackburn's owners Venky's are keen to bring in a big-name signing to boost their profile and van Nistelrooy could fit the bill.
    The Dutchman is out of contract at Hamburg at the end of the season and could arrive at Ewood Park on a free transfer.
    Kean has now confirmed the 34-year-old hit-man is on Blackburn's list of transfer targets for next season.
    "Yes, I can confirm we are interested," Kean told ESPN soccernet.

Uploads

Nugent - Cotterill praise.

Steve Cotterill says Portsmouth are 'living in hope' that David Nugent will remain at the club next season.
    The former England striker, who is out of contract with the Championship outfit in the summer, has played a key role for Pompey this season.
    Former Preston man Nugent has knocked in 12 goals for Cotterill's side, and the manager is desperate to keep the 25-year-old at Fratton Park.
    He told the Portsmouth News: "The only thing that saddens me about Nuge is his contract is up at the end of the season. That's the worst.
    "I love him. He's a great lad. We all live in hope that he'll stay.
    "I knew the kid before he came here and I know him even better now.
    "He's flourished this season and I'm delighted for him."

Uploads

Doyle - knee injury.
    DOYLE OUT FOR FOUR TO EIGHT WEEKS

Wolves have confirmed striker Kevin Doyle faces up to eight weeks out with a medial knee ligament injury.
    The Republic of Ireland frontman suffered the injury during his country's win over Macedonia on Saturday and has returned to the midlands for treatment.
    The club have not given up hope of Doyle featuring again this season, but the head of their medical department, Steve Kemp, told the club website: "The scan has confirmed that Kevin has torn his medial collateral ligament.
    "We will be working with Kevin to get him back as quickly as the injury allows but the likely time span is anywhere between four and eight weeks."
    Defender Christophe Berra admitted the loss of Doyle is a blow to his side's survival bid, but is confident they have the strength in depth to cover for the 27-year-old.
    Doyle has scored eight goals in all competitions this season, making him Wolves' leading scorer despite generally being required to lead the line on his own.
    Berra said: "It's a massive blow for us, he's a top player, he does a great job for us up front.
    "But we've got good strikers on the bench in Sylvan Ebanks-Blake and Steven Fletcher, who have come in this season and done well and scored goals for us.
    "So we won't be getting down about that, we'll move on."
    Ebanks-Blake has scored six Barclays Premier League goals this campaign - one more than Doyle, whose tally is boosted by three in cup competition - while five of Fletcher's seven goals have come in the league.
    Wolves are currently 18th in the table with 32 points, just one goal from safety.
    They travel to Newcastle on Saturday looking to climb out of the bottom three in what is one of the tightest relegation battles in Premier League history.
    Berra said: "I think it's two points between six or eight teams and we've actually got better points this season than at the same point last season, so it shows our improvement.
    "We're a better team now, we play better football overall. As players, as individuals, we've improved so we'll go onwards and upwards.
    "We're four games unbeaten and we'll be going away to Newcastle in high spirits."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast