Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 31-03-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 31-03-11

Latest Transfer Update at 31-03-11

Raul - staying put at Schalke.
    RAUL TO HONOUR SCHALKE DEAL

Schalke striker Raul has pledged to see out his two-year contract in Gelsenkirchen despite the sacking of coach Felix Magath.
    The 33-year-old, recently overtaken as Spain's record goalscorer by David Villa, joined the Royal Blues last summer after spending the whole of his career to that point with Real Madrid and has scored 11 goals this season.
    The club parted company with Magath two weeks ago, with the 57-year-old taking charge of Wolfsburg just a day later.
    But Raul insists there will be no impact on his future at the club, telling Sport Bild: "I will stay until 2012. Magath wanted me in the team at all costs but I didn't sign a contract with Felix Magath, I signed with Schalke 04. I am a professional and I will continue to give my best."
    And he has high hopes for the remainder of this season.
    "We want to win the German Cup," he continued. "It is all the more important for me as I have never won a national cup."
    Schalke also face a Champions League quarter-final against holders Inter Milan, but a pessimistic Raul warned: "Inter have an 80% chance of going through. They are the holders of the title, it will be very difficult."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 31-03-11

David Moyes - wanted another striker.
    MOYES RUES STRIKING FAILURE

Everton manager David Moyes admits his failure to sign a frontline striker last summer has impacted on their season.
    The Scot brought in Jermaine Beckford on a free transfer after he had helped Leeds earn promotion from League One but wanted someone with more experience to help ease the burden.
    But he was not able to bring anyone else in and Everton have suffered as a result, with Tim Cahill having to be deployed as a centre-forward on occasions.
    When Ayegbeni Yakubu and James Vaughan were loaned to Leicester and Crystal Palace respectively in January it increased the pressure on Louis Saha and Beckford.
    The former, whose poor form prior to January saw him net just once in five months - in a Carling Cup victory over Huddersfield - has responded with nine goals since the turn of the year but injuries continue to be a problem for the Frenchman.
    "I knew we were short of a centre-forward and maybe more than one," Moyes told talkSPORT.
    "I got Jermaine Beckford, who had jumped two divisions, and I was saying 'Let's not put too much pressure on him, get him off the bench, play some games at the right moment and that's the ideal way to introduce him'.
    "But we didn't get the centre-forward which we needed to go with the rest of the team.
    "Our play was very good, we continued in the form with our football, but we didn't have the goalscorers to finish it off at the start of the year and that definitely had an effect on us."
    Moyes is disappointed with another season of missed opportunities.
    The Scot recently celebrated nine years in charge at Goodison Park, the third longest-serving Barclays Premier League boss behind Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsenal's Arsene Wenger.
    But he will end another campaign trophyless and the club is likely to miss out on European football again next season as they are currently eighth, nine points adrift of fifth-placed Tottenham.
    And having had his hopes raised for better things just over 12 months ago Moyes is frustrated.
    "I went into the season with more confidence in the team," he said.
    "Last season we finished having lost two out of 24 games. If you just counted those 24 games I think we may have been Premier League champions; if not we would have been second.
    "I went into this season saying we only need to go close to that and we've got a really good chance of being near the top.
    "I think that's where my disappointment has come. I'm fed up of saying to the supporters every year let's just avoid relegation.
    "I wanted to see if I could change the way that we started the season by talking more positive about it, building it up a bit more, and saying to the players 'come on this is what is expected of you now'.
    "As it is it fell flat on its face and I'm really disappointed I haven't been able to get to the level that I hoped to."

Uploads

Brian McDermott - new deal agreed.
    McDERMOTT AGREES NEW ROYALS DEAL

Reading manager Brian McDermott has agreed terms on a new, improved contract at the Madejski Stadium.
    McDermott, who took over as manager in 2009, has turned the club from relegation battlers to Championship play-off contenders during his short reign and his side are currently just three points behind sixth-placed Nottingham Forest with a game in hand.
    He told the club's official website: "I am absolutely delighted, this is the place I want to be and the club I want to work at.
    "I've been here close to 11 years and I feel very much part of things. I'd like to thank the chairman, the board and Nick Hammond, and I'm also fortunate to have fantastic staff and players.
    "As a club we have continuity, it's a great place to work and a great place to be. Now we look to the rest of the season, we've got nine games left and so much to play for."
    Chairman Sir John Madejski added: "Brian has done a magnificent job for Reading football club, and I am absolutely delighted with this agreement."

Uploads

Matt Gilks - contract expires in the summer.
    GILKS FOCUS IS ON FITNESS

Blackpool goalkeeper Matt Gilks is focusing on regaining his fitness rather than his future as he makes another comeback in the reserves.
    The 28-year-old was Ian Holloway's first choice for the opening 13 matches of the season but he fractured a kneecap against West Ham on November 13 and has not featured since.
    Gilks' deal expires this summer but he knows he has to get himself fit and playing again before the Seasiders or any other club will offer him a new contract.
    And with his current employers still involved in a fight for top-flight survival he has put any thoughts about his future on hold.
    "I think in the next month there will be a lot of people waiting to see where we are with the results," he told the Blackpool Gazette.
    "The most important thing for this football club is staying in the league, not Matt Gilks' contract.
    "So if we can secure our status in the league, which is what everyone wants, then we can sit down after that and see what is said.
    "But I need to be playing to either earn a new contract, which hasn't arrived yet or been talked about, or get another club, wherever that might be.
    "So it is in my best interests to simply get back playing. I've been out far too long now.
    "I was probably in the form of my career, playing as well as I ever have done.
    "I'm really hurting inside because I've not been a part of what I work for every day in training."
    Gilks, who suffered a calf strain in his comeback game for the second string a fortnight ago, is scheduled to play on Wednesday night against Wolves.

Uploads

Roma president Rosella Sensi's family have control.
    ROMA AGREE TAKEOVER DEAL

American businessman Thomas Di Benedetto has struck a deal to assume control at Roma from the Sensi family.
    It emerged on Monday that Di Benedetto had arrived in the city for advanced negotiations, and a buy-out has now been agreed.
    Roma are looking to build for the future and their holding company, Italpetroli, are reported to have received five bids.
    It was felt that Di Benedetto had the most to offer and he will now become the main shareholder in a new company also featuring UniCredit Bank.
    An official statement released by both Roma and Di Benedetto said: "Italpetroli S.p.a., UniCredit S.p.a. and Di Benedetto AS Roma LLC announce that negotiations in Rome over the past few days have reached a basic agreement to buy up control of AS Roma S.p.a."
    "Based on this agreement, the buy-out should be completed by a company made up of 60 per cent Di Benedetto AS Roma LLC and 40 per cent UniCredit S.p.a.
    "There is also an option for UniCredit to sell their shares to other strategic Italian investors.
    "Over the next few days we will proceed to write out the definitive versions of the agreements reached today, which also include commitments for the reinforcement and future development of AS Roma."
    The deal is expected to be signed within the next three weeks, which would officially make Roma the first Italian club under foreign ownership.
    Vincenzo Montella's side are currently sixth in the Serie A standings and battling to secure European qualification for next season.

Uploads

Jordan Spence - staying put.
    SPENCE STICKS WITH ROBINS

West Ham youngster Jordan Spence is staying at Bristol City until the end of the Championship season.
    The 20-year-old full-back has started four games since dropping down a division on an initial month's loan.
    And Robins boss Keith Millen has been impressed enough to extend Spence's deal until May 7.
    The newly-capped England Under-21 international told West Ham's website: "It is brilliant to be playing games, playing and winning football matches is what it is all about.
    "It is a great club, that is why I am here. I had heard good things from other people. I am living in a really lovely city, there is a great bunch of lads and a good coaching and managerial set-up.
    "I was really grateful for Keith Millen giving me the chance to come down and play. Hopefully I can repay that faith."

Uploads

Knill - strongly linked with Scunthorpe.
    SHAKERS CONFIRM KNILL APPROACH

Bury have confirmed they have received an official approach for the services of Alan Knill, with managerless Scunthorpe thought to be keen.
    Knill, who spent four years of his playing career with the Iron between 1993 and 1997, has emerged as the leading contender to succeed Ian Baraclough at Glanford Park.
    Knill has so far remained coy about his future and said last weekend that his overriding priority was to keep Bury on course for promotion to League One after narrow failures in the two previous seasons.
    However, Bury said in a statement: "Bury Football Club can confirm that there has now been contact from another club wishing to take Alan Knill as their manager.
    "As of 13:40 on Wednesday, March 30, there have been no further developments since contact was made earlier today.
    "We will update all supporters of any further developments once we have further news."

Uploads

Kennedy - enjoying himself at Peterborough.
    KENNEDY KEEN ON POSH STAY

Leicester defender Tom Kennedy would be interested in making his loan switch to Peterborough permanent at the end of the season.
    The 25-year-old joined the League One club in January after struggling for opportunities at the Walkers Stadium.
    He has been a virtual ever-present under Posh boss Darren Ferguson, though, making 14 starts since his arrival.
    "I'd definitely like to stay beyond the end of the season," Kennedy told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire. "It's been a topsy-turvy season and I'm starting to find my feet here."
    Kennedy made the move from Rochdale to Leicester over the summer, but managed just four appearances for the Foxes before rejoining Dale on loan.
    He added: "I went to Leicester but it didn't work out and it wasn't very enjoyable. But Darren (Ferguson) has a lot of faith in his players and even if you have a bad game he gives you plenty of confidence."

Uploads

Mertesacker - linked with Premier League.
    MERTESACKER EXIT A POSSIBILITY

Werder Bremen have not ruled out parting company with reported Arsenal target Per Mertesacker at the end of the season, according to general manager Klaus Allofs.
    The Germany defender's contract with Bremen expires in June 2012, meaning the Bundesliga club could only demand a substantial fee for him this summer.
    Mertesacker, also understood to be on Liverpool's radar, has already revealed the prospect of a move to the Premier League is an 'attractive' one.
    And Bremen boss Allofs says the club could be prepared to cash in on the 26-year-old this summer, as well as goalkeeper Tim Wiese, who is also out of contract next year.
    He told BILD: "If you are not going to hand out an extension to an outrunning contract then you need to know all the possibilities available to you.
    "I am unable to just look after the money, I am also unable to just look after the sport factor.
    "As soon as we are aware of our fate in the Bundesliga this spring, we are going to clarify if we are able to sign extensions to these contracts.
    "We will be in talks, that is for sure."
    Mertesacker and Wiese are both first-team regulars for Bremen, who are currently a disappointing 12th in the Bundesliga and just four points clear of the drop zone with seven games remaining.

Uploads

Jovanovic - could return to Serbia.
    JOVANOVIC HINTS AT REDS EXIT

Out-of-favour Liverpool winger Milan Jovanovic admits there is a chance he could depart Anfield and return to his native Serbia.
    The 29-year-old, who arrived on Merseyside last summer on a free transfer from Belgian club Standard Liege, has struggled to make an impact for the Reds this season, starting just five Premier League matches.
    Jovanovic has also slipped further down the pecking order since Kenny Dalglish took over as manager earlier this year, making just two appearances under the new boss.
    Reports in Serbia suggest he could return home in the summer to link up with Red Star Belgrade, who are thought to be chasing his signature.
    And the winger has not ruled out the possibility, while revealing a return to former outfit Vojvodina could also be an option.
    "I'm not the one who started this story," Jovanovic told Serbian publication Mondo.
    "Yes, you can never know what the future will bring you and I have never said that I will not return home someday.
    "But than again we have to look at the reality of Serbian football.
    "At this moment there are just minimal chances for me to return to Serbia, for at least the next two years.
    "I have full respect for Red Star, who are probably the biggest brand in our football, and I have a lot of friends in that club.
    "But Vojvodina are still the only club for which I have played in Serbia so I'm still foremost a fan of Vojvodina."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast