Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-04-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 01-04-11

Hodgson - never had fans' backing.
    ROY NEVER FELT 'WANTED' AT ANFIELD

Roy Hodgson believes he did not stand a chance at Liverpool as he was never accepted by Reds fans who wanted Kenny Dalglish at the helm.
    The now West Brom boss is preparing to be reunited with the Anfield club on Saturday - two months after being sacked and replaced by Dalglish.
    Hodgson's brief spell in charge of Liverpool was accompanied by the fans calling for Dalglish to take charge, and he says he knew that his time was up once former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett left the club.
    He told the Daily Mirror: "The people who employed me didn't stay too long. I think for the new owners they obviously found themselves in a difficult situation because we weren't winning enough games.
    "The fans were making it clear they wanted me gone and someone else in. Everyone knows for one minute I can't suggest I felt wanted at Liverpool.
    "It is not exactly a secret I wasn't perceived by a lot of people as the manager they wanted at Liverpool. They wanted somebody else and that makes life a lot more difficult.
    "It was my misfortune to be at a club where the fans made it pretty clear early on they really wanted the manager they have got now."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-04-11

Balotelli - warning from Mancini.
    MANCINI TELLS BALOTELLI TO HELP HIMSELF

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has ordered striker Mario Balotelli to cut out the "mistakes" he is making, or risk ruining his career in England.
    Balotelli's first season in the Premier League has been marred by a number of disciplinary problems both on and off the field, sparking talk that he could be set for a return to Italy.
    But Mancini insists that he retains faith in the 20-year-old, even if he has told him to change his ways.
    He told several national newspapers: "I understand him. He is 20 years old, and at that age people can do stupid things.
    "But maybe now the time has come for him to help himself, and to understand the mistakes he is making.
    "Otherwise he risks throwing away his abilities, which are immense. He has scored some tremendous goals this season.
    "If he does not, then everybody in England will begin to make him a target - starting off with the referees."

Uploads

Houllier - says he's backed by Lerner and Faulkner.
    HOULLIER - I HAVE THE CLUB'S SUPPORT

Gerard Houllier insists he still has the full support of Aston Villa owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner.
    Houllier has come under fire from supporters who called for him to be sacked after the recent 1-0 home defeat by Wolves.
    That left Villa just one point above the Barclays Premier League relegation zone.
    But Houllier is adamant a close bond remains between himself, Lerner and Faulkner.
    Houllier, whose side visit Everton on Saturday, said: "I speak to Randy Lerner on a regular basis and I speak also to Paul Faulkner a minimum of once a day.
    "We are very close and very tight together. We know what we are going through.
    "It is important to be in a club where there is a strong belief and the trust is there.
    "I think their support for me is just as strong. In fact, I am convinced of that."
    Houllier believes the club is unified in the battle to stay in the top flight but he has issued a warning to anyone not committed fully to Villa's cause.
    He said: "I believe the club is unified. If someone is not with us and not giving more than 100%, he's got to leave because we won't make it.
    "But I think we are all right and there is no problem.
    "The spirit is good, we know where the land lies, we're not lying to ourselves, we are in a relegation battle, like others and we are aware of that.
    "At the same time we have the quality and mentality to deal with that."
    Houllier also plays down suggestions he has had a crackdown on club rules with reports claiming players were unhappy about his attitude towards the use of mobile phones.
    He said: "Regarding the mobile phones, I only mentioned it on my first day but there was no ban.
    "In fact, they are very reasonable because there is no use of them in the changing room and I don't go and check it."
    The former Liverpool boss also dismisses the theory that he is in favour of fining players, including relating to their time-keeping.
    He said: "I heard about fines but I've never put a fine on a player who's been late.
    "If someone comes in from London and they get stuck in a traffic jam, they ring.
    "You are not going to give them another bang on their head by fining them. It has happened maybe once or twice.
    "I hate fines and I never give fines."

Uploads

Neymar - Brazil star.
    BARCELONA APPEAL TO NEYMAR

Brazil striker Neymar has hinted he would be interested in a move to Barcelona.
    The 19-year-old Santos player, who scored twice in a friendly against Scotland on Sunday, has been heavily linked with a move to Chelsea.
    But Neymar is quoted on the Marca website as saying: "All players would like to play for Barcelona and I'm no different. It is an issue that we must treat with care. I have a contract with Santos and intend to stay here."
    The teenager provoked controversy for accusing Scotland fans of racism following the clash at the Emirates Stadium, comments for which the Scottish Football Association today demanded an apology.

Uploads

Steve Kean - backing from the owners.
    STEVE KEAN REJECTS AGENT TALK

Blackburn manager Steve Kean insists he wields the power when it comes to signing players and has rejected suggestions agent Jerome Anderson has undue influence at the club.
    Anderson advised the club in their search for new owners and when Venky's took over at Ewood Park in December he continued to work with the Indian firm in an advisory capacity.
    Last week it was revealed Blackburn had agreed a pre-contract with Anderson's son Myles, who will sign a two-year deal this summer despite him playing just two minutes of competitive football with current club Aberdeen, whom he joined in January.
    But Kean insists he has signed the 20-year-old defender on merit, having previously scouted the player and invited him for a trial at Rovers where he made a 13-minute substitute appearance in a friendly against Southport.
    "I have the ability to sign anyone I want to sign because I have fantastic backing from the owners," said the manager.
    "I think he has a bright future immaterial of who his father is or where he has been before.
    "Myles is a late developer. He has been in a family who decided education was the way to push him so he has not been in any academy programme.
    "I actually recommended him earlier in the season and he came down here for a few weeks and did really well.
    "Now, as manager, I have the opportunity to bring him in - as manager I can decide who is coming in - and he is a player with a bright future.
    "I am very confident when he comes in he will have a bright future, will continue to develop and we'll push him through."
    And Kean was categorical on the role of Anderson snr at the club.
    "Jerome advised the Walker Trust (the previous owners), that was the first way it happened, on finding an owner so it was Blackburn who employed him," he added.
    "He found a new owner, who is now in place, and I have a great relationship with them.
    "Jerome will continue to advise them when he is asked to advise them but he has his own business to run.
    "I still have a fantastic relationship with Jerome, he has looked after me and I am delighted to still be involved in his agency.
    "But he does not have an office at Blackburn (as has been rumoured).
    "He is always welcome here when he does come here, the same as any other agent who has an appointment here to see myself or a player.
    "We always make that facility available. We are a very warm and open club and will continue to do that."
    Sources close to Anderson have always maintained that all football-related matters are the remit of Kean.
    Kean revealed that midfielder Vince Grella will miss the rest of the campaign after having an operation on an Achilles problem.
    The Australian has played just seven times this season, and only twice since October 24 because of a series of problems.
    "It has been very hard for Vinny because he's picked up niggly injuries and this one has been quite a big operation," said the Rovers boss.
    "He has had the plantaris (a small muscle) removed and hopefully he can get some rehab under his belt and look forward to an injury-free season next season.
    "I think he won't play again this season."

Uploads

Paatelainen - new Finland manager.
    PAATELAINEN QUITS KILLIE FOR FINLAND

Mixu Paatelainen has left Kilmarnock with immediate effect to take over as manager of Finland, the Clydesdale Bank Premier League club have confirmed.
    Assistant first-team coach Kenny Shiels will take control of team affairs following the departure of the 44 year-old.
    A statement from Kilmarnock read: "Following careful consideration, Mixu has decided that the honour of managing his national team is one which he cannot refuse.
    "He will take up his duties with the Finnish FA with immediate effect.
    "Assistant first team coach Kenny Shiels will take charge of the club's preparations for its forthcoming matches."
    Chairman Michael Johnston added: "I wish to record my personal thanks to Mixu for the manner in which he has conducted himself throughout his time at Kilmarnock, always positive, open to discussion and never complaining of any lack of resources, and to wish him every success in his new role as national team manager of Finland."
    The former Dundee United, Aberdeen and Hibernian striker took over as manager of Kilmarnock in June 2010.
    He had been out of football since leaving his role as Hibs boss the previous year.
    Paatelainen took over a Kilmarnock side who had battled relegation in previous seasons and earned plaudits for the transformation at the club under his charge.
    He was voted Clydesdale Bank Premier League manager of the month for December and leaves the Ayrshire outfit in fifth position in the SPL.
    His efforts at Rugby Park did not go unnoticed and he was recently linked with a move to Scunthorpe United.
    However, the lure of managing his national team proved too much to resist and he will take charge of his first match when Finland face San Marino in June.
    Shiels was disappointed to learn of Paatelainen's departure but understood his reasons for quitting.
    He said: "I've lost a good colleague.
    "I'm disappointed on that front but I'm also happy for him that he can manage his country, which is a fantastic honour.
    "It's a good moment for him."

Uploads

Goodwillie - signs a new deal.
    DUNDEE UNITED EXTEND GOODWILLIE DEAL

Dundee United have secured striker David Goodwillie on a new deal, the club have confirmed.
    The 22-year-old has signed a one-year contract extension, keeping him at Tannadice until May 2013.
    Goodwillie, who has scored 15 goals so far this season, had previously been linked with a move to Clydesdale Bank Premier League rivals Rangers.
    Manager Peter Houston told the club's official website: "I am thrilled that David has agreed to extend his contract until 2013.
    "To have secured his services until then is a major coup for the club.
    "David has shown a terrific improvement in his overall game within the last 12 months as well as continuing to show the undoubted talent that he has always had and he is now recognised as one of the top strikers in the SPL.
    "It is testament to the hard work, effort and enthusiasm of the staff that David sees his career advancing further here at Dundee United."
    Goodwillie signed for United as a 14-year-old and became the youngest player to appear in a first-team match for the club when he came off the bench in the City of Discovery Cup final against Sheffield Wednesday in July 2004.
    He made his competitive debut in December 2005 as a substitute in an SPL match against Rangers at Ibrox.
    His fine form for the Tayside club was rewarded in November last year when he made his senior Scotland debut in a friendly against the Faroe Islands.

Uploads

Knill - new Scunthorpe boss.
    KNILL LEAVES BURY FOR IRON

Bury have announced the departure of boss Alan Knill and revealed a compensation package has been agreed for him to take over at npower Championship strugglers Scunthorpe.
    Knill, who spent four years of his playing career with the Iron between 1993 and 1997, quickly emerged as the leading contender to succeed Ian Baraclough at Glanford Park.
    He looks certain to be unveiled at Scunthorpe following his departure from Bury, where he was appointed in February 2008 and who currently lie fourth in League Two.
    Assistant manager Chris Brass and goalkeeping coach Neil Cutler have also left Gigg Lane and the Shakers said in a statement: "It is with deep regret that we announce Alan Knill is no longer manager of Bury Football Club.
    "The club have reluctantly agreed a compensation package with Scunthorpe United for Alan to take over the manager's role with immediate effect.
    "The club will announce who will be taking over as caretaker manager in due course."

Uploads

De Gea - United interest.
    MAN UNITED MAKE DAVID DE GEA CONTACT

Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David De Gea's representatives have confirmed they have already had contact with Manchester United.
    United are considering their options for next season in the goalkeeping department with current number one Edwin van der Sar set to retire at the end of the campaign.
    Sir Alex Ferguson has dispatched his scouts and goalkeeping coach Eric Steele around the world looking at possible successors to Van der Sar.
    In recent months they are known to have watched Manuel Neuer, Maarten Stekelenburg, Rene Adler and De Gea, while also being linked with a number of others.
    Recent reports have suggested that United have already lodged an offer for De Gea, and although this has been played down by Atletico, his agent has admitted that contact has been made.
    "Well, we did have talks with Manchester United but, first of all, they always look for an agreement with the club," Hector Rincon confirmed.

"Anyway, most of the biggest European teams have shown interest in David de Gea."
    Rincon insists he does not know whether Atletico would even be willing to sell.
    "What I can tell you is that his release clause now is €20million, but I have no idea if the club would sell him for less.
    "Right now, the player has a contract with Atletico Madrid and if Manchester United or any other team want him they will have to reach an agreement or pay the whole release clause."

Rincon also revealed that earlier in his career De Gea was wanted by Wigan, while also reaffirming that other Premier League clubs are in the hunt for his signature.
    "Some time ago, before he became an important player in Atletico, Wigan made an offer, but the club rejected it.
    "Recently, I don't want to say any names but all the big clubs in England and in Europe have asked about him," he told Sport.co.uk..

Uploads

Wickham - in demand.
    JEWELL ADMITS WICKHAM EXIT LIKELY

Ipswich boss Paul Jewell admits teenage striker Connor Wickham will be sold if "silly money" is offered.
    The 18-year-old forward is already generating plenty of Premier League interest, with Liverpool and Tottenham heading the queue of clubs chasing his signature.
    Jewell insists Ipswichare under no pressure to sell, with it important that the best decision is made for the club and Wickham.
    He is, however, aware that offloading his prized asset would boost his own transfer kitty.
    "I'm hopeful he will stay but, let's be honest, we are all at the mercy of the big clubs," said Jewell.
    "If Liverpool or Spurs come in with money that is going to help us plough back into the team - silly money if you like - we have to listen to it.
    "But if he does go he will not be going on the cheap and we are certainly not actively looking to sell him."
    Wickham, Ipswich's youngest-ever debutant, has broken into the England U21 set-up this season and Jewell believes his development may be better served with another 12 months in the Championship.
    He added: "Personally, I think it would be best for him to stay here for another year, hopefully get us some goals and into the Premier League.
    "But it is going to be difficult for any club at this level to turn down a big offer from one of the top teams.
    "If it is one of the smaller Premier League clubs I don't think Connor would want to go."