Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-04-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 03-04-11

Robben - won't be sold.

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has ruled out selling Arjen Robben in the summer, even if they fail to qualify for next season's Champions League.
    The Bavarians are currently two points adrift of third-placed Hannover in the Bundesliga table with seven games remaining and they host bottom-placed Borussia Monchengladbach on Saturday knowing they cannot afford to drop any more points.
    Robben recently admitted he would not be keen on playing in the Europa League.
    However, Rummenigge has made it clear to the Dutchman that, if Bayern do have to play in Europe's second-tier competition next term, he will have to grin and bear it like everybody else.
    "We all want to play in the Champions League and must now do everything we can to still make it," Rummenigge told the Bild newspaper.
    "But one thing is 100% certain and that is that Arjen Robben will be playing for FC Bayern next season, no matter what happens."
    Robben yesterday expressed his commitment to Bayern, saying he was "really happy" to be with them and that he "would love to stay here".
    It is now up to him and his team-mates to ensure Bayern can dream of playing in next season's Champions League final in their own Allianz Arena stadium, and Robben should be fit to face Monchengladbach tomorrow as the team look to keep those hopes alive.
    "I had a really good week," he said. "I have trained fully with the team twice and it is looking good for tomorrow."
    However, defender Daniel van Buyten misses out with a thigh strain which sidelines him for a fortnight.
    Monchengladbach will not make life easy for Bayern tomorrow since they also need the points to boost their hopes of avoiding relegation, but they have only managed to beat Bayern once in 42 previous meetings.
    "Bayern are currently the strongest team in Germany," said Gladbach coach Lucien Favre.
    However, the Foals are not without a chance in Bavaria tomorrow, according to their director of sport Max Eberl.
    "We should not put Bayern onto a pedestal - they are certainly not unbeatable this season," he said.
    "We must not become star-struck. We may not have planned on getting points against Bayern before the season, but it is still possible to get something."
    Logan Bailly will return between the posts for Gladbach, with 18-year-old Marc-Andre ter Stegen unavailable.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-04-11

De Gea - United interest.

Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David De Gea's representatives have confirmed they have already had contact with Manchester United.
    United are considering their options for next season in the goalkeeping department with current number one Edwin van der Sar set to retire at the end of the campaign.
    Sir Alex Ferguson has dispatched his scouts and goalkeeping coach Eric Steele around the world looking at possible successors to Van der Sar.
    In recent months they are known to have watched Manuel Neuer, Maarten Stekelenburg, Rene Adler and De Gea, while also being linked with a number of others.
    Recent reports have suggested that United have already lodged an offer for De Gea, and although this has been played down by Atletico, his agent has admitted that contact has been made.
    "Well, we did have talks with Manchester United but, first of all, they always look for an agreement with the club," Hector Rincon confirmed.

"Anyway, most of the biggest European teams have shown interest in David de Gea."
    Rincon insists he does not know whether Atletico would even be willing to sell.
    "What I can tell you is that his release clause now is €20million, but I have no idea if the club would sell him for less.
    "Right now, the player has a contract with Atletico Madrid and if Manchester United or any other team want him they will have to reach an agreement or pay the whole release clause."

Rincon also revealed that earlier in his career De Gea was wanted by Wigan, while also reaffirming that other Premier League clubs are in the hunt for his signature.
    "Some time ago, before he became an important player in Atletico, Wigan made an offer, but the club rejected it.
    "Recently, I don't want to say any names but all the big clubs in England and in Europe have asked about him," he told

Romelu Lukaku - hot property.

Anderlecht's general manager has claimed Romelu Lukaku will end up in the Barclays Premier League - but only for 26million.
    Belgium striker Lukaku, 17, has been linked with a host of top clubs across Europe but Herman van Holsbeeck expects the youngster to head to England when he leaves the Brussels club.
    "We know that Real Madrid are interested, but I think his future would rather be in England," Van Holsbeeck told Sudpresse.
    "Teams like Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool are interested. But if the two Manchester clubs enter the race, it might be interesting."
    Van Holsbeeck also warned that Lukaku, who has scored 27 goals in 59 appearances for Anderlecht, would not be sold on the cheap, saying: "The Lukaku price in the market is 30 million euro (26million)."

Matt Jarvis - linked with Liverpool.

Mick McCarthy admits Wolves will face a battle to keep winger Matt Jarvis if they receive a big-money offer from one of the leading Barclays Premier League clubs.
    Liverpool are the latest club to be linked with a summer move for Jarvis, who made his senior England debut against Ghana in midweek.
    Wolves boss McCarthy has no desire to offload the former Gillingham player, who signed a new five-year contract at the start of the current campaign.
    But he is a realist and knows it will be difficult to resist a major bid for the 24-year-old.
    McCarthy said: "Jarvo has been here and done nearly five years. He has been wonderful for us.
    "But if a top-four club comes in, offers unbelievable amounts of money for him, he wants to be a regular in the England team, and he can do whatever he wants with his salary and his career and can progress, it becomes very difficult.
    "The other scenario is we go 'no chance, we've stayed up, we are adding to the squad, we are going to do this or that'.
    "There is no suggestion of him being for sale or anyone else for that matter but it's football. Who thought Fernando Torres would be sold for 50million and Andy Carroll for 35million?
    "No one is not for sale. That is complete and utter gobbledegook. Let's deal with it like adults. There are certain scenarios you just cannot stop."
    McCarthy is backing Sylvan Ebanks-Blake to fill the gap left by injured striker Kevin Doyle in Saturday's Barclays Premier League clash at Newcastle.
    Doyle could be out of action for the remainder of the season with the knee ligament injury suffered on duty for the Republic of Ireland.
    McCarthy said: "Kevin has been terrific but someone else has got to play. Sylvan is coming in, he has got to play.
    "If I bemoan the loss of one, it kind of detracts from the ability of the other.
    "I prefer to look at Sylv, who can score goals. He has got to play as well as Doyley, simple as that. He has scored goals when involved. I've no worries about that."
    McCarthy has taken the unusual step of naming his side 24 hours ahead of the Newcastle game with Ebanks-Blake for Doyle the only change from the side which won at Aston Villa a fortnight ago.
    He said: "The rest of the team is the same because they have been different class. Why would I change it?
    "Anyone who is watching this can sort their free-kicks and corners out. I don't give a flying hoot. We are going up there, we've been playing well. Why would I try and change and hide it? Let them deal with us."
    Wolves skipper Karl Henry was targeted by Newcastle fans for his challenges on Joey Barton during the 1-1 draw at Molineux in August when 12 players were booked.
    But playmaker Jamie O'Hara believes Henry will be able to handle any verbal abuse he receives.
    O'Hara said: "Karl can handle it, he's our captain and he's been fantastic for us.
    "Any stick he gets won't be a problem for him. He loves all that anyway.
    "He's at the top of his game and, if that's what they want to do, then bring it on.
    "We won't be seeking any confrontation because we're a footballing side and we want to get the ball down and play.
    "We know we can hurt teams going forward."

Walter Smith - wants ownership resolved.

Rangers manager Walter Smith has called for the club's ownership issue to be resolved as soon as possible as Craig Whyte's takeover bid nears a conclusion.
    Chairman Alastair Johnston revealed earlier on Friday that the Scottish champions expect to know one way or another what is happening with regards to the proposed buy-out in the next couple of days.
    Smith now hopes a deal can be completed sooner rather than later.
    He said: "It's crucial that the ownership aspect of the club gets settled as soon as it possibly can.
    "We are in a situation where the club has been for sale for two-and-a-half, three years now.
    "It's reached the stage just now where, when that gets sorted out, it will help bring back a bit of stability to the club and that's the most important thing."
    For now, Smith is happy to focus on events on the field, adding: "It doesn't affect us that greatly on the footballing side of things.
    "We just have to try and handle the situation, as we have done for the last two or three years.
    "We don't have any great knowledge of what is happening in the background, it's not our department, and we just have to handle the footballing part.
    "I don't think it's been too much of a distraction for us. It's just a matter of us getting on with the footballing side of things and wait and see what happens."
    Smith and chief executive Martin Bain met with Whyte last month to outline squad requirements should he succeed with his takeover.
    "All I was asked to do was explain the football side of Rangers to him, the problems that I see the club having at the present moment," said the manager.
    "I wasn't asked to discuss any other aspect or anything like that so it was quite a quick meeting.
    "It was one that took place a couple of weeks ago. I don't think it would have any major influence on what was happening within the club.
    "I was asked to explain what the current situation is with the players and what I felt would be necessary in the future. That was all, it was fairly straightforward.
    "The meeting wasn't for anything other than for someone who wants to take ownership of the club to get a better idea of what the manager felt about the footballing side at the moment and the future."
    With Smith set to quit at the end of the season, he knows a change in ownership is unlikely to affect his final couple of months at the helm as Rangers bid to retain the Clydesdale Bank Premier League title.
    He added: "Nothing affects us really. The situation we have had to handle over the last three years is the situation we are left with until the end of the season.
    "Nothing will change until the end of the season anyway. It's not as if, if there was a buyer or no buyer, that something is going to change in the short-term. It won't.
    "On the footballing side, we have a period where we have six games in 18 days and that will be a huge test for our group."
    However, Smith admits his successor, current assistant boss Ally McCoist, faces a huge task next season if the Whyte deal falls through.
    He said: "There will be more pressure on the club.
    "I think everybody will have a realisation, if we don't get the ownership aspect resolved, then there will be a further downturn in the financial aspects of the club.
    "I don't think there is any doubt about that. It will make Alistair's job far more difficult than it would be if there was a level of stability and a level of investment. That's fairly straightforward."
    Midfielder Steven Davis is also keen for the takeover to go ahead after admitting to fears about the size of Rangers' squad.
    He said: "As players all we can do is the job we're asked to and that's playing football. Hopefully the rest takes care of itself.
    "You can't help but read about what is being said but we've got a job to do and that's all we can concentrate on.
    "It's got to the stage where we can't afford to lose any more players.
    "The squad has been getting smaller and smaller over the last couple of seasons and it's now got to crunch time where hopefully something will happen in terms of a takeover and there will be investment in the team."
    Rangers host Dundee United in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League at Ibrox on Saturday as they bid to keep the pressure on leaders Celtic.
    Davis added: "We know it's going to be a tough game for us because Dundee United have been on a great run of form in the league.
    "Their defeat in the cup in their last game might spur them on to bounce back so we're expecting a tough game."

Pep Guardiola - 'you cannot stay for too long'.

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has dropped a heavy hint that he will leave the club when his contract expires in summer 2012.
    Guardiola, who took over the reins of his boyhood club in summer 2008, prefers short-term deals and signed a one-year contract extension in February to keep him at the Nou Camp until the end of next season.
    The 40-year-old told Italian television channel Rai Sport: "I think my time is ending here in Barcelona. I'm fine here, but when you're at a club like this you cannot stay for too long.
    "Next year will be the fourth consecutive season as coach of Barcelona.
    "Such a club must have a lot of courage to take a coach for so long, because the players get tired of coaches and vice-versa."
    Asked if he might one day coach in Italy, the former Brescia and Roma midfielder added: "I'll come if I still want to coach. It takes enthusiasm and more to make such a decision."
    Since taking over at Barca, Guardiola has already won eight titles including an unprecedented treble of Primera Division, Champions League and Copa del Rey in his first campaign.
    The Catalan club are currently five points clear at the top of La Liga, through to the final of the Copa del Rey and in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

Roy Hodgson - ill-fated spell as Liverpool boss.

Roy Hodgson claims the presence of Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool during his time at the club meant it "wasn't easy" managing the Anfield side.
    Hodgson, who is now the head coach at West Brom, was sacked as Liverpool boss after six months in charge, after being appointed on a three-year contract.
    Speaking before the visit of his old club to The Hawthorns on Saturday, Hodgson said Dalglish's achievements loomed large over his tenure, and were made more pertinent by the fact he was appointed at the expense of the former Scottish international.
    "It's difficult to compete with icons," he said.
    "I came to the right club, perhaps I didn't come at the right time because Kenny did make it clear at that time that he wanted the job.
    "The people who were making the decisions at that time decided to go for me, and as a result that left Kenny in a difficult position because he is one who wanted the job.
    "So when things didn't go well, having him in the background wasn't easy and wouldn't have been easy for any coach."
    However, Hodgson added this scenario was by no means exclusive to Liverpool.
    He said: "That happens at virtually every football club, to be quite honest. There's always someone in the wings who's a little bit of an icon and who's ready to take over if the results don't go that way."
    Hodgson was keen to stress his sole motivation ahead of the match lies with keeping West Brom in the Premier League, rather than proving a point to his previous employers.
    "There is no vindication factor at all," he said.
    "I enjoyed my time at Liverpool, well, I say I enjoyed my time, that would probably not be strictly true. I was treated correctly in every respect and by everyone at the club."
    The former Fulham boss never had the full support of the fans at Liverpool, who made their disappointment clear from the terraces on a number of occasions.
    For this reason, Hodgson said he is unsure of the reception he will get from the travelling supporters on Saturday.
    He said: "The reaction to my appointment from a large body of the fans was not positive so I don't know if that would have changed now I'm no longer there.
    "Whatever the reaction is, we as managers have to accept that and get on with it.
    "It would be nice if their response was not a negative one, but if it is, I'll have to learn to live with it.
    "Hopefully the West Brom fans will will try to buoy me up in the other direction."
    Despite his torrid experience at Anfield, Hodgson has no regrets about taking the job.
    "I still think that it was the right thing to do," he said.
    "I was realistic, I knew the risk when I went into the job.
    "I'm still disappointed that it didn't work out in a better way, but I have no regrets and I have no bad feelings about Liverpool as a city, certainly I don't have any bad feelings about the football club and I have only good feelings about the people I work with there."

Steve Bruce - looking to splash out.

Manager Steve Bruce is ready to test the depth of Sunderland owner Ellis Short's pockets once again after being assured he has earned the owner's trust in the transfer market.
    Chairman Niall Quinn has revealed that Bruce's transfer dealings to date have been met with approval by the man who has bankrolled them as he attempts to build for lasting success at the Stadium of Light.
    Bruce and his scouting team are already starting to identify the men they believe can take the club forward, with a replacement for striker Darren Bent, who joined Aston Villa for 24million in January, the main priority.
    Bruce is well aware of how fortunate he is to have the backing of both Short and Quinn - that was one of the main reasons he signed his new contract - but admitted with a smile that he would be looking for even more support when he does dip into the market once again.
    He said: "It's quite refreshing that I have an owner like that who puts his trust in you, who gives you the tools to manage and leaves you alone with it.
    "He was desperately upset by [the 2-0 home loss to] Liverpool, which I can understand.
    "But that's one of the reasons I agreed to stay here because, from top to bottom, the club is run right and with an owner like I have, it is very, very good.
    "I enjoy working with him and I will be going with my cap in hand very shortly to see how much more money he has got."
    Bruce will hope a proportion of that cash will make its way to Old Trafford with loan signing Danny Welbeck heading in the opposite direction.
    However, he knows just how highly United boss Sir Alex Ferguson rates the 20-year-old, whose senior England debut in midweek may have made Sunderland's task a whole lot more difficult.
    He said: "The boys who come here from Manchester United always do well. There must be something in the air here that they enjoy.
    "Danny has had a wonderful time here and has enjoyed playing. Now he has got the ultimate accolade for his performances for us and he has been called up for the England team, so it is going to be very, very difficult to try to get him here.
    "Can we get him? I think it's very, very doubtful, if I am being honest."
    The Black Cats will be in Manchester this weekend as they take on City on Sunday looking to improve on a run of six Barclays Premier League games which have brought just a single point.
    They will do so with long-term absentees Fraizer Campbell and Michael Turner back among the squad, and with a series of players like Welbeck buoyed by their international exertions in midweek.
    Goalkeeper Simon Mignolet made his senior debut for Belgium, while there were appearances for Cristian Riveros and Marcos Angeleri for Paraguay and Argentina respectively.
    However, there were no broader smiles than those worn by Ghanaian trio John Mensah, Sulley Muntari and Asamoah Gyan, whose late equaliser denied England victory at Wembley.
    Bruce said: "We have got three ecstatic Ghanaians for a start, and one in particular who is normally larger than life burst into the building today.
    "It's the first time when England have conceded a goal I have jumped up for the opposition, and how great it was when I saw four of them involved from Sunderland.
    "Everywhere I looked there was a Sunderland player away, so it shows the improvement."
    Meanwhile, Bruce confirmed Angeleri has been fined after suggesting to a South American radio station that he was not being picked for his club because he is not English.
    Bruce said: "I have dealt with it like I always deal with it, in my office. He pleads innocence to it; whether he is innocent or not, I'm not really interested. It's been said and the damage has been done, as far as I am concerned.
    "He has been dealt with and fined and as far as I am concerned, that's the end of it."

Wickham - in demand.

Ipswich boss Paul Jewell admits teenage striker Connor Wickham will be sold if "silly money" is offered.
    The 18-year-old forward is already generating plenty of Premier League interest, with Liverpool and Tottenham heading the queue of clubs chasing his signature.
    Jewell insists Ipswichare under no pressure to sell, with it important that the best decision is made for the club and Wickham.
    He is, however, aware that offloading his prized asset would boost his own transfer kitty.
    "I'm hopeful he will stay but, let's be honest, we are all at the mercy of the big clubs," said Jewell.
    "If Liverpool or Spurs come in with money that is going to help us plough back into the team - silly money if you like - we have to listen to it.
    "But if he does go he will not be going on the cheap and we are certainly not actively looking to sell him."
    Wickham, Ipswich's youngest-ever debutant, has broken into the England U21 set-up this season and Jewell believes his development may be better served with another 12 months in the Championship.
    He added: "Personally, I think it would be best for him to stay here for another year, hopefully get us some goals and into the Premier League.
    "But it is going to be difficult for any club at this level to turn down a big offer from one of the top teams.
    "If it is one of the smaller Premier League clubs I don't think Connor would want to go."

Ross - has joined Motherwell.

Motherwell have received international clearance to sign former Rangers full-back Maurice Ross.
    Ross, who spent time at Aberdeen last season, joins the club following a spell with Chinese side Beijing Guoan.
    The 30-year-old had played a closed-doors friendly for St Mirren but Motherwell manager Stuart McCall swooped at the last minute.
    And Ross has revealed McCall's eagerness to sign him was the key factor in convincing him to join the Lanarkshire side.
    The full-back now has a Scottish Cup semi-final to look forward to rather than a relegation battle and could make his debut when former club Aberdeen visit Fir Park on Saturday in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
    Ross revealed the change of destination came out of the blue.
    "I got through the bounce game with Hearts and was told they (St Mirren) were looking to take me on," the 30-year-old said.
    "There was a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with the contract and, because of that, it opened the door for Motherwell to come in.
    "Stuart McCall phoned me and said he would be interested in taking me to Fir Park, and with what was going on, I felt it was a great opportunity for me to play in big games, semi-finals etc.
    "I felt it was a chance I couldn't pass up. I would like to make clear though that it was a football decision, nothing whatsoever to do with how I was treated by St Mirren.
    "Danny (Lennon) and everyone at the club was great and even although I was only there for about 10 days, you do get a wee bit attached and, without wanting to sound too dramatic, you don't want to let people down.
    "But I just felt, with the way things were happening, Motherwell felt a bit more enthused about me coming in and that was probably the deciding factor."
    Ross admitted he phoned St Mirren manager Lennon to relay his decision with some trepidation.
    The former Scotland defender said: "He's very enthusiastic and he was good enough to allow me to train, but they had 10 days to make me an offer and it only took Motherwell half a day.
    "But I really don't want to make big headlines out of this.
    "They wanted to see me in a game first, which is totally understandable, and I was open to that. I wouldn't sign me if I hadn't seen me play."
    Ross admits he has a battle to secure a place in the Motherwell team after watching their impressive 3-0 Scottish Cup win over Dundee United on Wednesday.
    But he feels fit enough to play and could even start against Aberdeen, with right-back Steven Saunders unlikely to overcome an ankle injury and Tom Hateley in line to move into midfield with Steve Jennings suspended.
    "I am not going to be flying straight away, that is for sure, but I think I am in good nick," he said.
    "I was at the game the other night and the boys terrorised Dundee United, and they are a right good side.
    "It's going to be hard for me to get in, particularly on the fitness side as some of these guys have played 40 games already, but I'll give it my best shot.
    "I am going to have to burst my backside to get a game and that's what I intend to do."
    Ross admits he would consider a longer-term deal but is not looking beyond the end of the season.
    "I have been looking to my future my whole career and I am fed up doing that," he said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast