Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 05-04-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 05-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 05-04-11

Carlo Ancelotti - wants to stay at Chelsea.
    ANCELOTTI EYES NEW CHELSEA DEAL

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti is hopeful of extending his contract with the Premier League champions.
    The Italian guided the Blues to a league and cup double in his first season in English football last year, but a failure to successfully defend both this time around has led to speculation he may lose his job.
    But he does not see it that way, and is hopeful of lengthening his stay in west London.
    He told the Daily Express: "I want to stay at Chelsea. I would like to extend my contract because I love these players and this club.
    "Obviously it is just not my decision, but I don't think they require me to win a trophy to retain my position."
    Chelsea take on Manchester United in the Champions League quarter-finals tomorrow night, looking to take a huge step towards the only trophy to have eluded them since Roman Abramovich bought the club in 2003.
    It has often been said that the Russian is desperate to win Europe's main prize, but Ancelotti has urged his club to take a patient approach.
    He added: "The Champions League is a dream for this club but it cannot be an obsession.
    "It is a motivation. Chelsea deserve to win it. They lost the final on penalties, lost a semi-final in the last minute, they went out with a goal that was no goal at Liverpool.
    "I have told my players that we have 450 minutes of football now to win the Champions League. I believe we can do that."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 05-04-11

Gareth Bale - cornerstone of Tottenham's future.
    BALE SALE COULD END TITLE DREAM - REDKNAPP

Harry Redknapp believes his ambitious project to bring the league title to Tottenham could be in danger of collapse if the club decides to cash in on Gareth Bale this summer.
    Just three weeks after signing a new contract at Spurs, Bale admitted yesterday that he could leave White Hart Lane one day should one of Europe's top clubs come calling.
    The man tasked with stopping Tottenham from reaching the Champions League semi-finals, Jose Mourinho, ruled Real Madrid out of making an offer for the 21-year-old on Tuesday, but a host of the continent's top clubs are known to be interested in the player.
    Redknapp has repeatedly stated this year that he thinks he can bring the Barclays Premier League title to White Hart Lane, and he knows that any chance of that happening would take a big hit if Bale left.
    Redknapp said: "If you are looking to build a club, you can't be selling Gareth as then (Luka) Modric would want to go and then someone else would want to go. Then Tottenham would end up where they were four or five years ago, finishing half way up the table each year.
    "I had it at West Ham. We let Rio (Ferdinand) and Frank (Lampard) go and the rest followed.
    "I'm sure it would have to be an amazing figure if you ever sold him.
    "But how do you replace a player like that? It's very difficult."
    Bale will get the chance to showcase his talents in the Champions League once more on Tuesday evening when he takes to the field in Tottenham's quarter-final first leg clash against Real Madrid.
    After seeing the way he tore apart Inter Milan in the group stages, his probable return from a hamstring injury is a massive boost for Redknapp's side.
    Spurs were given an additional lift with the news that William Gallas could make a surprise return from a knee complaint that prevented him from kicking a ball just four days ago.
    Other injuries mean that the Londoners may not be able to fill their allocation of seven substitutes for Tuesday night's match, but Redknapp insists his team of underdogs can still beat Mourinho's side and make it to the final.
    "I don't feel any pressure. No-one expected us to be here at here start of the season and we have a big chance of winning," Redknapp said.
    "We are not just coming here to turn up. We want to keep progressing.
    "The dream is still there for us, we have to make that dream comes true. We want to go all the way if we can. We know how difficult it's going to be but there is still a chance and we have to take it."
    Mourinho is likely to start with Cristiano Ronaldo up front after he recovered from a hamstring injury to make the Madrid squad.

Uploads

Marouane Fellaini - in talks with Everton over a new deal.
    EVERTON START FELLAINI CONTRACT TALKS

Everton manager David Moyes says his club have opened talks with midfielder Marouane Fellaini over a new contract.
    The 23-year-old Belgium international has become a cult figure at Goodison Park since arriving from Standard Liege three years ago, but he has been linked with a host of leading European clubs.
    Moyes, though, is hopeful of keeping him on Merseyside, saying: "I think talks have started now, even though I've not spoken to Marouane personally about it.
    "He's really important to us, part of the furniture here now, and of course we want him to stay.
    "We did it with the likes of (Phil) Jagielka and (Leighton) Baines who are on long-term contracts. We want to keep building on that and obviously Marouane comes into that category.
    "In the main, the chairman has done a really good job keeping hold of players, so we'll see how we go with Marouane, too."

Uploads

Bale - not a target for Real Madrid.
    MOURINHO PLAYS DOWN BALE BID TALK

Jose Mourinho has indicated Real Madrid will not look to sign Tottenham winger Gareth Bale this summer - and backed his manager Harry Redknapp to become the next England boss.
    Mourinho and Redknapp will face each other in Tuesday's Champions League quarter-final first leg at the Bernabeu.
    At the heart of Spurs' quest for a place in the last four will be Bale, who is thought to be winning his race for fitness after a recent hamstring injury.
    The Welshman signed a lucrative new contract last month but has now admitted he would one day be willing to leave White Hart Lane if a big offer came his way.
    Despite signing a new deal, a bidding war could commence for the 21-year-old this summer, with Manchester United, Barcelona and Inter Milan all thought to be keen on securing the his services.
    But Mourinho, who spotted Bale's talent while he was in charge at Chelsea, denied that Real would be out to sign the player this summer.
    "I was one of the first to say he will be an amazing player. I was saying that when he was not known in European football, just in England, so I know the great player he is," the Portuguese said.
    "He is still young and there is a big space for him to improve so he will be a really top, top, top player. I have no doubt about that.
    "Tottenham is not a good club to sell though. It is a club that buys.
    "I think for the amount of money involved, it is not easy to buy and we have players for that position.
    "We have Cristiano (Ronaldo) who plays in the same position he plays, and Marcelo at left-back.
    "When you want to spend big money you do it in areas where you have problems, but I have no doubt he (Bale) is a very good boy."
    Redknapp has earned many plaudits this season for the attacking style he has employed at Tottenham and the way it has helped his team through the competition, seeing off Inter Milan and AC Milan along the way.
    Redknapp is favourite to take over from Fabio Capello when he steps down as Three Lions boss next summer, and Mourinho thinks the former Portsmouth manager would do a great job in succeeding the Italian.
    "He is a good manager for any team, including a national team," said Mourinho, who is looking to secure his third Champions League trophy.
    "I think there is no limits for him. Give him a team, a national team and he is ready for anything."
    Tottenham were embroiled in a relegation battle when Redknapp took over two and a half years ago, but his impressive stewardship has earned him the utmost admiration from his opposite number for tomorrow's showdown.
    "He is my friend, and friends are always nice to each other," Mourinho added.
    "I say nice things about him and he does me. That's life.
    "When I was in England he was not managing teams with possibility of reaching these kind of ambitions. Finally after the good work he was doing, he went to Tottenham, who had the resources to build a good team. I'm very, very happy (for him). I hope, and I say this from my heart, that if I don't reach the final, then I hope he does it."

Uploads

Michael Owen - wants a new United deal.
    OWEN HOPES TO KEEP GOING WITH UNITED

Manchester United striker Michael Owen is hoping for a new deal when his contract expires in the summer.
    However the former England international, who is keen to face Chelsea in the Champions League on Wednesday, remains in the dark regarding manager Sir Alex Ferguson's thoughts.
    Owen, with 13 goals to his credit from 37 appearances, told www.manutd.com: "I am not sure about my future yet - my contract expires at the end of this season.
    "I've made no secret that, in an ideal world, I would extend my stay. I would love to play here for longer but I will just wait and see what the club say. We've not held any talks yet."
    United go into the quarter-final first leg match against Carlo Ancelotti's side anxious to end a dreadful run of results at Stamford Bridge.
    They have not won in 10 games at the ground - losing 2-1 this season - but Owen believes their luck could be about to change.
    United go into the match on the back of a 4-2 win against West Ham and Owen said: "Since I've been at the club the games at Stamford Bridge have been odd. We don't get outplayed there, that's for sure.
    "Unfortunately we haven't had many good results, though. I'm sure our luck will change at some point.
    "In the league last month we were 1-0 up and put on one of the finest displays of football Stamford Bridge has probably seen from a visiting team. I don't think many teams go to Chelsea and play like that.
    "Then they got back into the game from nothing, really. Maybe we were a little guilty of contributing to our own downfall but we won't let that happen again."
    Owen is pleased the second leg is at home with the winners facing either Inter Milan or Schalke in the last four.
    He added: "We prepare for every game in the exact same way - we don't take any game more seriously or less seriously than any other.
    "The way we train, the way we travel, the way we recover, it's all the same. I don't think it will feel much different.
    "We hope playing the second leg at Old Trafford will prove decisive. We also know that whoever progresses to the semi-final will get the same advantage there, so that's an added incentive.
    "From that point of view, the draw's been kind to us. But it is going to be difficult to get past Chelsea over two legs."

Uploads

Michael Higdon - St Mirren out to keep him.
    ST MIRREN KEEN TO KEEP HIGDON

St Mirren manager Danny Lennon is eager to secure their SPL status and tie down free-scoring Michael Higdon on a new contract.
    Higdon is the club's leading scorer in the league this term and he bagged a hat-trick in their crucial weekend success over Hamilton.
    However, until the club's top-flight status is secured the club are unable to offer the former Falkirk and Crewe marksman a new deal to stay in Paisley.
    Lennon is more than pleased with the 27-year-old's efforts and he knows that as long as he is at the club then he will continue to give 100 per cent to the cause.
    "Michael knows exactly what I think of him and his attributes for this football club, but it's only SPL football that is going to keep him at this club," said Lennon.
    "We must guarantee that. Everyone is out of contract and until the job is done they're still playing for their livelihoods and futures.
    "One thing with Michael is he's always there and he'll always continue to do the right things.
    "Michael's been a big player for us. You've got to man manage him to get the best out of him, but he works his socks off and he's getting the fruits now."