Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 10-04-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 10-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 10-04-11

van Gaal - sacked by Bayern Munich

Louis van Gaal has been relieved of his duties as coach of Bayern Munich with immediate effect, the German club have confirmed.
    The 59-year-old was due to leave the club at the end of the season but his departure has now been brought forward, with the club fourth in the Bundesliga and struggling to ensure qualification for next season's Champions League.
    Van Gaal led the club to the league title last season, his first at the club, and also to the final of the Champions League. His assistant Andries Jonker will take charge until the end of the season, when Jupp Heynckes will succeed him as the club's new permanent boss.
    Club bosses Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Uli Hoeness, Karl Hopfner and the director of sport Christian Nerlinger held crisis talks in the club's headquarters and subsequently informed Van Gaal of their decision to go their separate ways on Saturday night after returning from Nurnberg, where the team drew 1-1.
    "The board, director of sport and president of FC Bayern took this decision together," read a statement from the club.
    "After the 1-1 draw in Nurnberg and the renewed slide to fourth in the table, and with the threat of missing out on the minimum aim of a place in the Champions League next season, this decision was taken in FC Bayern's best interests.
    "Louis van Gaal's assistants Frans Hoek, Jos van Dijk and Max Reckers have also been relieved of their duties."
    Bayern currently trail third-placed Hannover by a point and, were the season to end now, they would only be playing in the Europa League next season.
    Since the final of the Champions League will be held at the Allianz Arena next year, failure to even qualify for the competition would be a severe disappointment for Bayern, who will now end the season without a single trophy.
    However, Nerlinger thinks Jonker, who was Van Gaal's right-hand man, can turn things around.
    "He enjoys the utmost faith within this club," said Nerlinger.
    "We have faith in him and believe that he will be able to master this challenge.
    "It was not just a spur of the moment decision to pass the responsibility over to him. We know how much he cares for this club and that he is happy here and enjoys the team's respect.
    "He has shown that today. He is 100% convinced that we will reach the goals we have."
    Rummenigge explained that there had been "no alternative" but to part company with Van Gaal.
    And president Uli Hoeness said it was a decision which was a long time in coming.
    "It all started getting messy when he (Van Gaal) dropped Hans-Jorg Butt and replaced him with Thomas Kraft," he said.
    "That brought insecurity into the defence and we could not hold out for much longer.
    "Football should be enjoyable, but there has been nothing enjoyable about football at FC Bayern for a while now.
    "And to say that he had the players behind him was a myth."
    Hoeness carried on by blaming Van Gaal for the recent crowd protests against his own person, saying the Dutchman's opposition to the planned bid for Schalke goalkeeper Manuel Neuer had created divisions in the club.
    "The Manuel Neuer issue would never have escalated like it did and we would never have had any problems with the fans," he said.
    "Problems were created which were totally unnecessary and which have ripped the club to pieces.
    "Louis Van Gaal should consider what he has done."
    Bayern now find themselves in the same situation they were in two years ago before Van Gaal arrived having parted company from one coach in the hope that the move will provide a spark to the team.
    Jupp Heynckes managed to lead Bayern into the Champions League after replacing Jurgen Klinsmann in 2009 and Jonker will now have to do the same before Heynckes returns to the club in the summer.
    "He held a remarkable speech in front of the team," reported Rummenigge.
    "He said that will take over everything which was good, but that he will change things which, in his view, are in need of being changed.
    "I believe that Andries Jonker has a very clear plan."
    His first game in charge could be crucial as Bayern host second-placed Bayer Leverkusen next weekend knowing a defeat would end their hopes of finishing second this season and leave them only third place to play for.
    And that is not something they can take for granted either as they trail Hannover by one point.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 10-04-11

Lennon - never thought of quitting Celtic.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has claimed it never crossed his mind to leave the club despite being the target of death threats.
    Lennon has security guards to ensure his safety but will not leave the Clydesdale Bank Premier League outfit.
    He told the Scottish News of the World: "It's never even crossed my mind. I'm on a six month rolling contract. It probably won't be looked at again until the summer. I'm happy with that."
    Lennon claimed there was a "gross over-reaction" to his now infamous spat with Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist.
    The Hoops boss and McCoist clashed after last month's Scottish Cup replay between the Old Firm rivals.
    Lennon added: "I wasn't happy with the reaction after the game. Far too much was made of what happened at the final whistle.
    "A lot of fingers were pointed at me. I apologised to Celtic's board the following day for what went on at the end.
    "But I still think there was a gross over-reaction to my part in it. My role was nothing more than just a bit of finger-pointing to something I took exception to."

Redknapp - failed in move for Ferdinand.

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has admitted he tried to sign Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand last summer.
    Redknapp is a huge admirer of Ferdinand having given the England star his debut while in charge of West Ham.
    The Spurs chief is keen to bring in leaders to his side and had targeted an ambitious swoop for Ferdinand.
    However, Redknapp revealed Manchester United rejected his overtures.
    "I can't ever see us getting Rio now. I was interested. Last year, I tried. I tried at the start of the season," Redknapp told The Observer.
    "When he was on the teamsheet against Chelsea in the Champions League, I thought Man United had got a much, much better chance of getting a result and it proved that way."
    Redknapp revealed he has told Spurs chairman Daniel Levy that they need to bring in big names and big characters if they are to consistenly qualify for the Champions League.
    "I've said many times to the chairman, it's not always about the best players, it's about getting characters in your football club," added Redknapp.
    "Chelsea have had it over the years, whether it's John Terry or Frank [Lampard], and Man United have had it with [Ryan] Giggs, Ferdinand and [Nemanja] Vidic.
    "William [Gallas] has come in and given us experience and we've got Michael [Dawson] at the back but in the long term I still feel that you need to find another one or two if you're going to keep progressing, that type of real character, who has opinions and that will to win around the dressing room - a few leaders. You can't have too many at your club. That's why I tried to take Phil Neville from Everton in January."
    Redknapp is already planning for next season and he is keen to add to his squad in this summer's transfer window.
    "You've got to add to the squad," continued Redknapp. "The chairman knows ... if we can't move on, then you have to accept trying to get into the Europa League every year and trying to finish sixth or seventh. But if you want to try to make the Champions League, you have to keep improving."

Clichy - wants to stay and win title at Arsenal.

Gael Clichy insists he does not want to leave the Emirates - with his ultimate ambition being to win the title with the Gunners.
    The French full-back joined Arsenal from Cannes in August 2003 but will have just a year left on his contract in the summer.
    Merseyside rivals Liverpool and Everton are thought to be interested in the 25-year-old but he insists he wants to stay and help Arsene Wenger's side win the title.
    Clichy told The People: "When I arrived at Arsenal it was because I wanted to improve myself as a player and to win titles, and that is normal with any player.
    "Wenger persuaded me to come here at a time when I was receiving offers from other clubs - and I have to say that my present and my future is with Arsenal.
    "I am leaving talks over my contract with my agent so that I can focus on my football.
    "I know that there are rumours about me going elsewhere but I have nothing to say about that.
    "I have always wanted to be at a club where I am content. Money is important but it is not a decisive factor. All I want is to win a title - that's my ultimate ambition.
    "It is unquestionable that Wenger is a great coach but the problem is it becomes more difficult to win the title every year.
    "He is trying to develop the young players at this club and I think that is something you cannot put a price on in football."
    Manchester United beat Fulham 2-0 at Old Trafford on Saturday to move ten points ahead of the Gunners, who have two games in hand and face Blackpool on Sunday.
    Clichy added: "We know it will be difficult to catch United but we won't give up hope.
    "It is frustrating that we were chasing four trophies and have fallen away at crucial moments in all of them.
    "But it can also be a lesson for us as we move forward. While it is sad now, it is important for the future.
    "It is difficult to explain the difference between ourselves and United, but perhaps experience has been the key for them to manage the situation better.
    "We have also missed out on too many points at the Emirates.
    "But we'll be back because every year we are improving."