Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 11-04-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 11-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 11-04-11

Carragher - looking forward to more new signings.
    CARRAGHER EXCITED BY SUMMER PROSPECTS

Liverpool vice-captain Jamie Carragher admits even he is excited about the prospect of "top players" arriving at the club in the summer.
    Having brought in Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez for a combined 57.8million - funded almost entirely by the sale of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel - director of football Damien Comolli has already said he expects to have a busy summer.
    Liverpool's squad is in need of an overhaul, with principal owner John Henry revealing he was surprised at the lack of depth on the playing staff when Fenway Sports Group bought the club in October.
    There have been hints that there is money to spend and Carragher is looking forward to some new arrivals.
    "I think there will be a feelgood factor going into the summer and the start of next season," said the veteran defender.
    "As players we have to look after ourselves and do our own job but we are like supporters as well, we love to see top players coming to the club and hopefully that will be the case.
    "Everyone is delighted with the business we did in January and hopefully similar things will happen in the summer."
    Tonight's opponents Manchester City have shown what can be done with a healthy transfer budget, although admittedly their resources stretch further than probably any other club in the world thanks to billionaire Sheikh Mansour.
    Roberto Mancini's side are on the verge of qualifying for the Champions League for the first time and have an FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United at Wembley next weekend.
    Carragher accepts it was inevitable they would bring increased competition in the battle for the top four.
    "Obviously they have raised the standard for Champions League qualification with the players they have brought in," said the 33-year-old.
    "I am sure it won't stop as there will be more coming in the summer - but that is up to them.
    "We only play Man City twice in a season so whatever they do is up to them.
    "In the games we play against them we have to do well this season, next season and in the years to come because they are going to prove a difficult team to stop if they carry on spending that type of money.
    "But we only play them twice and it is what we do, we will look after what we do at this club."
    Since taking over in January manager Kenny Dalglish has effected a turnaround in performances which has seen the side beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and Manchester United at Anfield.
    However, they have also lost to strugglers Blackpool, West Ham and West Brom.
    "It just shows you the level we can get to by beating two of the top sides," he said.
    "The other games, it's people who are fighting for their lives and they've got a different pressure on them to the ones at the top of the table.
    "Whether it's a coincidence or something that's lacking in us, it's something we've got to find out.
    "If we've got something positive or something we're good at, we're not going to tell anybody. And if we've got something we're not so good at, we're certainly not going to tell anyone either.
    "We have lost against teams at the bottom end of the table and beaten the ones at the top end. We've got to correct that."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 11-04-11

Madjid Bougherra - expects to leave in the summer.
    BOUGHERRA TURNS DOWN NEW DEAL

Madjid Bougherra has turned down Rangers' offer of a two-year contract extension and expects to leave Ibrox this summer.
    The Algeria international defender, who signed from Charlton in July 2008, has one year remaining on his current deal, but now wishes to return to the Barclays Premier League.
    He said: "Rangers offered me a chance to extend my contract by another two years, but I politely refused.
    "I have spent three wonderful years here in Glasgow and I want to try a new challenge.
    "I have one year left of my contract with Rangers and everything depends on discussions I have with the people in charge of the club.
    "If I do stay another year, there will be no problem on my side because I've only known good times with Rangers.
    "Now if there is a great challenge for me elsewhere and the club is okay with it, I think I will be leaving."
    While a return to England appeals, Bougherra says he has other options.
    He added: "My priority is to play in the Premier League, for sure. Now if it does not happen, I shall go and play in either Turkey or the Gulf countries.
    "But for now, I'm still at Rangers and we still have a lot to play for this season. I've not left Rangers yet."

Uploads

Sturridge - seeks Chelsea future.
    STURRIDGE SEES BLUES FUTURE

Chelsea's Daniel Sturridge says his future remains at Stamford Bridge despite a blistering loan spell with Bolton Wanderers.
    As the former Manchester City marksman was well down Carlo Ancelloti's pecking order he joining Bolton on loan until the summer.
    The 21-year-old has proved a shrewd capture for Owen Coyle as his weekend double against West Ham took his impressive tally for the club to six goals from just eight league appearances.
    Sturridge is cup-tied for Bolton's FA Cup semi-final with Stoke and he has now rejected speculation that he could quit Stamford Bridge on a permanent basis in order to secure regular first-team football.
    "I see my future with Chelsea," said Sturridge.
    "I don't have any other aims but to become a regular there.
    "If I can achieve that, then great, but if not I obviously would have to assess what's going to happen.
    "But I'm a Chelsea players and I love playing for the club."

Uploads

Joe Hart - loves life at Manchester City.
    JOE HART SET ON CITY CAREER

England goalkeeper Joe Hart would love to carve out a long-term career at Manchester City.
    Hart, 23, looks certain to continue his ever-present record in the Barclays Premier League this season against Liverpool tonight.
    He has made remarkable progress since replacing Shay Given as City's number one goalkeeper and kept 14 clean sheets in 31 top-flight games.
    Hart is having the time of his life and said: "If I was given the opportunity I would not hesitate in committing myself to this club.
    "Lots can happen in football I suppose but at this moment I am taking it season by season.
    "I do not consider myself to be a top keeper just yet. I still have a long way to go before I could be considered in that way. You need to work hard and enjoy what you are doing.
    "I am just mad about football. It is always on my mind. When I go home I watch football."
    While manager Roberto Mancini is delighted with Hart's progress he insists there is much more to come from the player.
    Mancini said: "It was very difficult for me at the start of the season when I had to decide who to pick because we had two fantastic goalkeepers.
    "The reason I picked Joe was I felt he could become the best goalkeeper in England - and he has.
    "But he is young. It is only his second season in Barclays Premier League. He can improve a lot. He can be the best goalkeeper here for a long time."
    Hart is determined to emulate two of his boyhood heroes and become an idol for future generations.
    "Only two stood out for me, David Seaman during his Arsenal years and Peter Schmeichel when he was over the road (at Manchester United)," he told the club's official magazine manc.
    "They were top class goalkeepers and legends of the game so I watched them carefully as a kid."
    Mancini again faces a dilemma at right-back at Anfield as Micah Richards and Jerome Boateng are both injured.
    Belgian rookie Dedryck Boyata was drafted in for his first Premier League start since October in the 5-0 victory against Sunderland but Pablo Zabaleta could be preferred after returning to the club following compassionate leave.
    Gareth Barry, James Milner and Edin Dzeko are all in contention for places as City aim to improve their prosepcts of a Champions League place ahead of the FA Cup semi-final against Manchester United on Saturday at Wembley.

Uploads

Stan Kroenke - on the verge of taking over Arsenal.
    KROENKE ON VERGE OF ARSENAL TAKEOVER

American businessman Stan Kroenke has taken a controlling stake in Arsenal and has agreed terms for the purchase of the remaining stock which values the club at 731million.
    Kroenke Sports Enterprises, which has gradually built its stake in the Gunners since first buying 9.9% of shares in 2007, must now bid to buy up the remaining shares after taking their stake to approximately 62.89% after reaching undertakings with major shareholders Danny Fiszman and Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith.
    Terms have also been agreed for KSE to buy up the remaining share capital at a cost of 11,750 a share.
    Kroenke said in a statement to the Stock Exchange: "We are excited about the opportunity to increase our involvement with and commitment to Arsenal.
    "Arsenal is a fantastic club with a special history and tradition and a wonderful manager in Arsene Wenger.
    "We intend to build on this rich heritage and take the club to new success. I am delighted that Peter Hill-Wood has agreed to support us by continuing as chairman.
    "We especially wish to acknowledge and thank the board, Danny Fiszman and the Fiszman family as well as Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith and her family for the confidence they have had in me over the past years and in allowing us to move forward in this more prominent role."
    KSE already own NBA basketball franchise the Denver Nuggets, the Colorado Avalanche NHL ice hockey team and Major League Soccer side the Colorado Rapids.
    KSE have entered into a call and put option agreement with DF Nominees, the company holding Fiszman's stake, to purchase their 16.11% holding and have also received "irrevocable undertakings" from Lady Bracewell-Smith and other shareholding directors to sell their shares, totalling 16.79%.
    Kroenke's main focus will now be on purchasing the stake of Russian billionaire Alisher Usmanov, who does not have a seat on the board but controls 27% of the club's holding company.
    Gunners boss Wenger welcomed the news and said: "I have worked with Stan Kroenke at board meetings over the past couple of years and I believe he has the best interests of Arsenal at heart.
    "He understands the club's heritage and traditions and our ambition to run the club in a way which protects our long-term future."
    Arsenal chairman Hill-Wood, who initially said the Gunners did not want Kroenke's "sort" involved at the club when KSE bought their initial stake four years ago, added: "The board of directors and I consider it a key responsibility to protect the ethos and spirit of the club.
    "Mr Kroenke, although relatively new to Arsenal, has shown himself to be a man who values and respects the history and traditions of this very special club that we cherish. We are confident that he will be a safe custodian of its future.
    "At this time of transition I would like to pay particular tribute to Danny Fiszman for his immense contribution. Danny's vision and drive led the relocation to our new stadium, an historic move which will benefit the club and its many passionate fans long into the future.
    "I would like to pay tribute to the important and long-standing role that the Bracewell-Smith family have played in Arsenal's history. The family have been staunch supporters of the club for over 70 years and the club is significantly indebted to them for the role that they have played in its development and success. We will be considering appropriate ways to mark this long and valued contribution."

Uploads

McLeish - several players' contracts to expire.
    McLEISH TO DELAY PLAYERS TALKS

Alex McLeish is to delay contract talks with several Birmingham players until the summer.
    McLeish will make no decisions while the battle for Barclays Premier League survival remains in the balance.
    The current deals of Sebastian Larsson, Lee Bowyer, Kevin Phillips, Stuart Parnaby, James McFadden, Martin Jiranek, Stephen Carr and Maik Taylor all expire this summer.
    Blues can take up an option on the contracts of McFadden, Jiranek, Carr and Taylor if they so desire.
    In addition, the future of loan players Obafemi Martins, David Bentley, Alexander Hleb and Matt Derbyshire has also to be sorted out.
    But McLeish is adamant no talks will be held or decisions made until City's fate has been resolved.
    McLeish told Press Association Sport: "Everything is on hold in relation to contracts.
    "Nothing like that will be getting addressed just now.
    "We have got to concentrate on climbing up the Premier League in the remaining seven matches."
    Central defender Scott Dann is unlikely to return from his hamstring problem before the end of the season.
    Dann is stepping up his rehabilitation work after suffering the setback in January.
    But McLeish said: "I don't think Scott will be back this season. I doubt it. We wouldn't risk any player at this stage."

Uploads

Santa Cruz - wanted at Ewood Park.
    STEVE KEAN WANTS ROQUE SIGNING

Steve Kean has revealed that Blackburn are hoping to land Roque Santa Cruz on a permanent basis.
    The striker returned to Ewood Park for a second spell during the January transfer window, having slipped down the pecking order at Manchester City.
    His first stint with Rovers saw him explode onto the Premier League scene, with an impressive 23 goals plundered in his debut campaign.
    In 2009 he was off to City in a big-money move, but struggled to make an impact at Eastlands as injuries and added competition for places took their toll.
    Blackburn were delighted to snap him back up in the New Year and are pleased with his progress this term, despite his failure to break his scoring duck second time around.
    Kean insists the Paraguay international remains a class act and has confirmed that Rovers will be looking to do business with City over the summer.
    "We would love to sign him," said Kean.
    "We tried to fix a price with City in January when we signed him on loan and they wouldn't do it.
    "We'll get to the end of the season and see where we can take it, but the good thing is he wants to stay. It's difficult to join in January, but the advantage for Roque is that there are still a lot of the players here from when he was with us before.
    "He's looked quality every day in training and the only thing missing is having a full run without any niggling injuries so he can be totally focused about playing in the game, not protecting a little knock.
    "He's a quality player, but he hasn't played a lot of football.
    "He's taken a bit of time to get up to speed and he's picked up a couple of niggling injuries.
    "But we are adamant that if we get him on the pitch, then he will contribute.
    "He's been banging them in during training and he probably just needs one to bobble in off his shin and he'll be off and running."

Uploads

Kaka - wants to fulfil his ambitions at Real.
    KAKA REJECTS REAL EXIT TALK

Brazilian midfield star Kaka has hit out at suggestions that he wants to leave Real Madrid and vowed to knuckle down and win over the fans who have yet to see the best of their €63 million signing.
    Kaka, 28, joined Real in the summer of 2009 for €63 million (56 million) from AC Milan, but a recurrence of knee injuries have limited his playing time and there was speculation that Kaka wanted to leave with old club Milan, Chelsea and Manchester City all prepared to snap up the Brazilian for a cut-price deal.
    A knee injury at the World Cup saw Kaka miss the first five months of the league campaign, but the midfielder made his first league start of the season in the 3-0 win at Athletic Bilbao on Saturday and weighed in with two goals to remind the Real fans of his qualities.
    "Some people took advantage of my injury and said I wanted to go but that isn't true," Kaka said in AS. "I want to triumph at Real Madrid.
    "I feel like I owe it to Real Madrid and the fact that I haven't fulfilled expectations bothers me.
    "I understand the fans. I hope to win over the fans again with time and by playing some important games. I only ask for time."
    Kaka has come back at a crucial time with Real battling it out with arch rivals Barcelona as they look to try and secure a historic treble, although they have their work cut out in the league with Barcelona eight points clear at the top.
    "(Real) Madrid can beat Barcelona as they are not unbeatable," said Kaka. "I think we can win the league, Champions League and Copa del Rey."