Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 13-04-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 13-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 13-04-11

Fernando Torres - no goal in 13 games.
    ANCELOTTI HINTS AT TORRES ERROR

Carlo Ancelotti admitted he could have made a mistake by playing misfiring 50million striker Fernando Torres after Chelsea were knocked out of the Champions League by Manchester United.
    He also insisted the decision about whether he keeps his job at Stamford Bridge after his team failed once more to deliver the Holy Grail of Europe's top club trophy to watching owner Roman Abramovich was out of his hands.
    Ancelotti gambled by starting Torres and leaving Didier Drogba on the bench, even though Torres had not scored in 817 minutes and 13 matches for club and country.
    Torres suffered a torrid first 45 minutes and was replaced at half-time by Drogba, who scored in the second half.
    When asked if it had been a mistake to start with Torres, Ancelotti said: "Maybe. Could be. I told you a lot of times this season I wanted to start with Fernando for this kind of game, these type of tactics.
    "Didier played well in the second half. I wanted to put more pressure up front because we needed to score. Didier was fresh and he could use his power up front. This was the reason I took out Fernando."
    United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, however, was in no doubt that it was the huge fee Chelsea splashed out for Torres in January which forced Ancelotti's hand.
    Ferguson said: "A lot of people thought Drogba would play. I thought having signed Torres for the money they did they had to play him. I wasn't 100% sure but I couldn't see how they could leave Torres out."
    Ferguson, however, insisted he was not criticising Chelsea for signing Torres.
    "They had the opportunity to sign Torres and I don't think anyone would have turned it down," Ferguson said. "Everyone said at the time it was fantastic business.
    "You can't criticise him (Ancelotti) for that, it was a good signing. It isn't working at the moment but he is a young man and there are other seasons ahead."
    Two goals from Javier Hernandez and Park Ji-sung gave Manchester United a 2-1 victory on the night and a comfortable 3-1 aggregate triumph over a Chelsea side who finished with 10 men after Ramires was sent off for a second bookable offence.
    Ferguson, meanwhile, was looking forward to watching United's semi-final opponents, either Schalke or Inter Milan, battle it out tonight.
    Ancelotti will now be under pressure to make sure Chelsea win Premier League games to qualify for the Champions League next season.
    He said: "We have to look forward. We have games to play and to win if possible because obviously we want to play the Champions League the next season."
    On his own future Ancelotti said: "I'm not concerned. I have to work and try to do my best, It is not my decision to stay or not to stay here."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 13-04-11

David de Gea - linked with United move.
    FERGUSON COOL ON DE GEA TALK

Sir Alex Ferguson has distanced himself from speculation Manchester United have agreed a deal to sign David de Gea from Atletico Madrid.
    With Edwin van der Sar due to retire in the summer, Ferguson is in the hunt for a new number one keeper and De Gea has been heavily linked with United for a number of months.
    And reports have emerged in Spain claiming a transfer has already been agreed with Atletico for De Gea.
    However, after watching his side book their place in the last four of the Champions League, Ferguson refused to give credence to the reports.
    "On Italian television I am supposed to be signing two players from Italy tonight, so I can place that story along with those," he said.
    "There is always speculation about who we are going to sign. So many people throw names at me. I can't answer it."
    Atletico chief Miguel Angel Gil Marin also denied the claims, saying: "As of today, Atletico count on him for next season."
    Instead, Ferguson confirmed he intends to fly to Germany to watch Schalke take on Inter Milan on Wednesday, with the winner set to meet United in the Champions League semi-final later this month.
    Schalke are overwhelming favourites, although having dispatched Chelsea 3-1 on aggregate, Ferguson has no need to fear anyone, particularly with Ryan Giggs in such fine form.
    Giggs was credited with the assist for both United goals on Tuesday night, crossing for Javier Hernandez to put them ahead before chipping a brilliant pass to Park Ji-sung after Didier Drogba had threatened a Chelsea comeback.
    "We have said it so many times about the man. He is just incredible," said Ferguson.
    "He is a unique person and player, who has made a great contribution to this tie. His experience and composure were vital.
    "Ryan has fantastic balance. He has never lost that.
    "He is also lucky in that he has a superb physique. He has never carried any weight and looks after himself.
    "You need to make tremendous sacrifice to still be playing at 37."
    Ferguson must now get his players together for the mouthwatering FA Cup semi-final with Manchester City at Wembley on Saturday.
    The United boss has previously stated their is a potential for chaos given it falls on the same weekend as the London Marathon, whilst the capital is also hosting Arsenal against Liverpool on Sunday.
    However, Ferguson concedes there were not many alternatives.
    "I don't know where you could have played it," he said.
    "You can get 90,000 people into Wembley. That is the reason it is there.
    "You could say in the current economic climate it is a bit unfair for fans to travel but for our fans and City fans, they are just delighted to be in a semi-final."

Uploads

Wilshere - a Gunner at heart.
    WILSHERE RUBBISHES CITY LINK

Jack Wilshere has scotched suggestions that he is willing to leave Arsenal for a big-money move to Barclays Premier League rivals Manchester City.
    The England midfielder, 19, has recently been linked with a lucrative transfer to the Eastlands outfit.
    Reports at the weekend suggested big-spending City were willing to splash 40m on the talented playmaker and double his wages in their pursuit of major silverware.
    Wilshere, who has graduated to the Arsenal first team from the club's Academy ranks, has rubbished such claims, however, on his Twitter page this afternoon.
    "People asking if im going city? I don't kiss the Arsenal badge then leave. This club in my heart!" Wilshere wrote while also attaching a picture of him kissing the Gunners badge during a game.
    Wilshere signed a long-term deal to remain at the Emirates Stadium in November.
    He has established himself as one of the most talented young English players in recent times and made his international debut against Hungary last summer.

Uploads

Mourinho - staying at Real...for now.
    MOURINHO DENIES PREMIER LEAGUE DESIRE

Jose Mourinho insists he is happy at Real Madrid and is not looking to return to England this summer.
    Despite leading Real to the quarter-finals of the Champions League, Mourinho is under pressure at the Santiago Bernabeu after his side fell eight points behind bitter rivals Barcelona in La Liga.
    The Portuguese also suffered the humiliation of seeing his team go down 5-0 to bitter rivals Barcelona in 'El Clasico' in November.
    Mourinho enjoyed a hugely successful three-year spell with Chelsea, and has never hidden his desire to return to England.
    He has been linked with the managerial post at Manchester City and is viewed by some as the natural successor to Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United.
    The 48-year-old is in London with Real as they look to go through to the Champions League semi-finals after last week's first leg hammering of Tottenham at the Bernabeu.
    He admits that he will return to England one day, but appears intent on seeing out the rest of his contract with Real Madrid.
    "My future is Real Madrid because I have a contract and because it looks like the club is happy with my work," said Mourinho, who won two league titles with Chelsea.
    "My future will be in England, for sure, but my future is after Real Madrid.
    "I have a contract for three more seasons and I hope I will do well enough to deserve to continue here."
    The task that awaits the Portuguese at White Hart Lane tomorrow is hardly one of the biggest of his career.
    Emmanuel Adebayor scored twice and Cristiano Ronaldo and Angel Di Maria were both on target as Real took advantage of Peter Crouch's early dismissal to hammer Harry Redknapp's team 4-0 in Spain last Tuesday.
    Redknapp admitted today that his side would need a "miracle" to knock their Spanish opponents out of the competition, but Mourinho has warned his men that they must not be complacent tomorrow.
    "Miracles do happen in football," Mourinho said.
    "That's why I say we have to respect Tottenham and we have to respect football because football sometimes can betray you and you cannot give them the chance of doing that.
    "We are coming here to play seriously. People like Xabi (Alonso), and I know the mentality of English stadiums, their supporters and their teams. They will give everything.
    "If I put myself in Harry's position, I wouldn't throw in the towel.
    "I would do everything I could with my players to try to get the miracle."
    To further prove that he and his side will not treat the game as a dead-rubber, Mourinho said he was not planning to rest any of the five players who are carrying yellow cards in tomorrow's game.
    "I am going to pick the best team possible that I think is going to get the best result against Tottenham tomorrow night," he said, meaning that Ronaldo, Di Maria and Sergio Ramos are likely to start despite being one card away from missing the first leg of a probable semi-final against Barcelona.
    Spurs star Gareth Bale warned Real after last week's defeat that his team would not "take another beating", but Real are big favourites to qualify after last week's result.
    Madrid have scored 23 goals in this year's competition - more than any other team - and Mourinho sounded an ominous warning to Spurs that his team are more than capable of scoring the one goal that would effectively kill off the tie.
    "I don't think five goals will be enough for Tottenham to beat us because we have come here to score goals," he said.
    Karim Benzema missed the first leg of the tie with a hamstring injury but has travelled with the squad and could play some part tomorrow.
    Defender Pepe is suspended for the match and former Chelsea midfielder Lassana Diarra will is unavailable because of a hip problem.

Uploads

De Gea - 25mi euro release clause.
    ATLETICO DENY DE GEA UNITED DEAL

Atletico Madrid chief Miguel Angel Gil Marin has denied media reports in Spain that a deal has already been struck that will see their highly-rated young goalkeeper David De Gea move to Manchester United this summer.
    According to the reports, crediting Spanish radio station Onda Cero, agent Jorge Mendes had travelled to England and reached an agreement with United that will see the 20-year-old De Gea join the Red Devils for a fee of 25million euros (22.5m).
    However, speaking to Spanish newspaper AS, Atletico's chief executive Angel Gil said: "Mendes is in England, but it is for nothing related to De Gea. He doesn't have any power from Atletico to negotiate for the player.
    "At the end of the season we will see if (De Gea) he goes or if he remains. If he wants to go, we will refer to his buy-out clause. As of today, Atletico count on him for next season."

Uploads

Fellaini - happy at Goodison.
    FELLAINI READY FOR TOFFEES TALKS

Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini has confirmed he is ready to hold talks over a contract extension.
    Fellaini has established himself as a popular figure at Goodison Park since joining the club from Standard Liege in 2008 and is approaching 100 appearances for David Moyes' side.
    The Belgium international has recently been linked with a move to Spanish giants Real Madrid, but Fellaini insists there has been no contact about leaving the Toffees.
    The 23-year-old, who is currently sidelined due to an ankle injury, is happy on Merseyside and is eager to discuss a new contract.
    "Everton are a club that really care about me," said Fellaini in the Daily Star.
    "My relationship with the manager is excellent and I'm delighted that he considers me a key player and wants to extend my contract.
    "The discussions have not yet begun, but I don't suppose they are far off. For my part, I'm ready and waiting.
    "I've not been in contact with any other club about leaving Everton. Besides, they will have their say if a club show formal interest in me. I'm still under contract with them."
    Fellaini has not given up hope of returning from his ankle injury before the end of the campaign and still feels Everton can qualify for the Europa League.
    He added: "I'm counting on returning to training as soon as possible and being available for the end of the season.
    "My operation went well. The plaster came off on Monday and that'll allow me to fully begin my rehab.
    "If everything goes well, I hope to be able to help Everton at the end of the Premier League season.
    "I'm happy with our recent results. We've not lost in the league since February 13 and a Europa League place is possible for us."

Uploads

Harry Redknapp - vows star men will stay.
    REDKNAPP VOWS TO KEEP SPURS STARS

Harry Redknapp chose the evening before one of the biggest nights of Tottenham's season to warn the continent's biggest clubs that the star names who have helped his team march through Europe this season are not for sale.
    The latest step in Spurs' remarkable debut year in the Champions League comes on Wednesday night when Redknapp's men face the mammoth task of overhauling Real Madrid's 4-0 lead in the second leg of their quarter-final clash.
    The importance of Tottenham qualifying for next year's Champions League was highlighted by recent financial results, which showed that the club's revenue increased 49% during the six months that followed their qualification to this season's competition.
    Spurs chairman Daniel Levy admitted that he would like to trim the squad, but Redknapp is adamant that does not mean he will have to sell the likes of Gareth Bale and Luka Modric, both of whom have been linked with big-money moves to some of Europe's most decorated clubs.
    Asked whether he would have to sell the likes of Bale and Modric this summer, Redknapp said: "Not a chance. Absolutely rubbish. They've all got contracts, none of them are leaving.
    "When Daniel said that we might have to trim the squad, he was talking about a lot of players on loan. That's what he is talking about."
    No team in the history of the competition has been able to overturn a four-goal margin from a first-leg defeat, although three teams have managed it in other UEFA tournaments.
    Bookmakers rate Spurs' chances of making the semi-finals as long as 50-1, but Redknapp believes the feat is possible.
    "We are in a situation where everyone feels the tie is over but we know we are a good team and can play well here at White Hart Lane," Redknapp said.
    "We know it will take a miracle but miracles can happen and we have to believe that we can give it our best shot tomorrow and if we play very well, you never know what will happen."
    The good news for Redknapp is that Aaron Lennon will be fit to take his position on the right flank, and he and Bale will be key to any chance Spurs have of unlocking the Real defence.
    Madrid coach Jose Mourinho guarded against complacency yesterday, but sounded an ominous warning to Redknapp when he said: "I don't think five goals will be enough for Tottenham to beat us because we have come here to score goals."
    Mourinho is returning to England for the second time in a professional capacity since he left Chelsea to join Inter Milan.
    The Portuguese is under pressure in Madrid after seeing his side slip eight points behind Barcelona in La Liga, but he has denied that he is plotting a return to England this summer.
    "My future is Real Madrid because I have a contract and because it looks like the club is happy with my work," said Mourinho, who won two league titles with Chelsea.
    "My future will be in England, for sure, but my future is after Real Madrid.
    "I have a contract for three more seasons and I hope I will do well enough to deserve to continue here."

Uploads

Ireland - happy at St James' Park.
    IRELAND EYES LONGER TOON STAY

Stephen Ireland has spoken of his happiness at Newcastle and would be open to staying beyond the end of the season.
    The midfielder moved to St James' Park on loan from Aston Villa in January but has yet to make his debut for the Magpies due to injury.
    However, manager Alan Pardew hinted last month that a long-term contract could be agreed and Ireland admits that is something he would be interested in.
    The 24-year-old is looking for some stability and is hopeful of remaining on Tyneside, either on a permanent arrangement or a new loan deal.
    He told the Chronicle: "This is a good place for me to settle in the next few months, and who knows what could happen in the summertime.
    "It could turn out to be permanent. We don't know, or it could turn into a loan again. We will see what happens in the next two months."
    Ireland is fit and available for selection and could be given a first opportunity to impress Pardew when Newcastle face Manchester United next Tuesday.
    He has not played since turning out for Villa in December, having fallen down the pecking order under Gerard Houllier.
    "It has been an absolute nightmare - it feels like I have not kicked a ball for so long," he said.
    "I have not played competitively for so long and it has been difficult.
    "When the new manager came in at Villa, I was left out of eight squads in a row - and that hurts.
    "The lads were going away to hotels and playing games, and I felt really isolated at home."