Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 18-04-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 18-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 18-04-11

Hleb - doesn't like Blues' style of play.
    NO BIRMINGHAM RETURN FOR HLEB

Alexander Hleb has ruled out a return to Birmingham next season but the on-loan Barcelona player wants to remain in the Barclays Premier League.
    In an ideal world Hleb would like to return to his former club Arsenal although there have been no moves in this direction.
    Hleb has struggled to make an impact at St. Andrew's because of injuries and missed the Carling Cup final triumph over the Gunners with a knee problem.
    He is determined to end the season on a high and help Blues ensure their top-flight status.
    But Hleb, who set up the second goal in Saturday's 2-0 win over Sunderland, believes City's style of football is not suited to his own game.
    Hleb said: "Before, I think teams like Birmingham were easy to play with but it is difficult when you play in such teams, not like Arsenal or Barcelona.
    "Here you need to just fight and run, not too much passing, and this for me is something new.
    "I have enjoyed it in a way because it is something new. This is a different experience although I prefer to play and to enjoy football.
    "But I will give 100 per cent for this club every weekend."
    When asked if there any chance of rejoining Birmingham, Hleb said: "Eh, no, no. I am happy and enjoy my time here, everything is good here, but this is a little bit not my way (style) of football.
    "Barcelona is the biggest club in the world but it is difficult when you are not from Spain.
    "It has happened with everybody (not being picked) with (Thierry) Henry, everyone. Josep Guardiola picks the Spanish players.
    "I've not had a lot of chances to play there. I prefer to stay in the Premier League."
    When asked which club he would like to play for, Hleb said: "I know which one. I hope everything is good.
    "Of course, I love Arsenal. It is always in my heart but now is too early to speak about a new club.
    "I want to give my best for Birmingham but if I have chance to go back (to Arsenal).....of course.
    "Everything is possible but I am just saying if I get this chance, of course I'd come, but it's too early to speak about this."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 18-04-11

Ferguson - 'management is a precarious industry'.
    FERGIE: A 'GOOD CHAIRMAN' IS VITAL

Sir Alex Ferguson tells young managers that having a good chairman is the most important thing they can hope for.
    The 69-year-old's 25-year reign at Manchester United looks increasingly out of synch with a modern game where managers are increasingly dispensable.
    In an interview in the League Managers Association's The Manager magazine, Ferguson said: "More than ever, management is a precarious industry. I say to all young managers that the first thing they need is a good chairman.
    "They also need luck and they need to make sure they're prepared to make sacrifices for the job, because this is an unremitting industry.
    "It's a results industry, as we all know, but you can help yourself by being totally committed to that alone."
    Ferguson is often the first man to speak up in support of sacked managers, and he admits he finds it difficult to comprehend the thinking behind some decisions.
    "My sympathy goes out to managers who lose their jobs," said the Scot, who was particularly disappointed by Roberto Di Matteo's departure from West Brom earlier this season.
    "There's been a lot of unusual sackings lately, which I've found hard to understand."
    Ferguson, meanwhile, revealed there is no chance of him getting carried away with his success - because his wife, Cathy, will not even let him keep his trophies at home.
    The former Aberdeen boss added: "I prefer to think about what's ahead and what next I can achieve, and I think that has kept my feet on the ground quite well. I've never got carried away with it.
    "My wife, Cathy, is fed up with the whole thing. When Alastair Campbell phoned her about my knighthood she said to him, 'Do you not think he's had enough rewards?'
    "You'll not find a thing about my career in the house at all. She's unbelievable. I can't even take a football book home or she'll say, 'What are you doing with that?"'

Uploads

Steve Sidwell - new Fulham deal.
    STEVE SIDWELL SIGNS NEW DEAL

Steve Sidwell has penned a contract extension with Fulham that will keep him at Craven Cottage until 2014.
    The 28-year-old joined from Aston Villa on a six-month deal in January, with an agreement in place that could have see the deal extended by a further three seasons.
    Sidwell has impressed in his eight league and cup appearances for Mark Hughes' side and the club have now announced he has signed the extended agreement.
    "I'm delighted to be tied down for another three years," Sidwell told the club's official website.
    "The main objective was to come here in January and prove myself to get a contract. Now that's been done I'm not going to sit on my laurels, I'm hopefully going to kick on.
    "I was fortunate enough to get a chance to play due to the injury to Dickson (Etuhu), but then on the flipside it was my turn to be injured.
    "So it's been a bit up and down but on the whole I've settled in well. I'd like to thank the management and the people upstairs. I'm delighted to be here for three years.
    "Initially it was like a trial period and it was down to me to prove myself. It's gone well and there's still a lot more to come from me, so hopefully given the opportunities and chances I can do well.
    "I'd like to help in the progress of the club and take it where the management and the owner want to take it.
    "This has been a transitional year compared to the success the club had last year, but I'll be hoping to take each year as it comes and progress."

Uploads

Steve Gibson - Middlesbrough chairman.
    GIBSON REJECTS ADMINISTRATION TALK

Middlesbrough chairman Steve Gibson has dismissed rumours that the club could be about to go into administration as "nonsense".
    Ever since their relegation from the Premier League in 2009, Boro have struggled to cope with the financial pressures heaped on them by a lack of cash from the top-flight.
    There has also been speculation the club could be forced into administration, but Gibson has now moved to rubbish these suggestions and he reassured fans that Boro would again be one of the biggest spenders in the Championship next term.
    "I don't know where these stories come from. It's all nonsense," he said.
    "People who spread these rumours are no friends of Middlesbrough Football Club.
    "But most people in the town are fantastic and they are behind the club and they enjoy being a part of things. I can tell them that there is absolutely no substance to the stories that they have heard."
    Preston boss Phil Brown intimated that Boro were in trouble earlier this season, although he later apologised for his remarks.
    "Who starts them? I wish I knew how these things start," said Gibson.
    "There was one stupid comment from Phil Brown and people jump to conclusions.
    "Phil Brown apologised for his remarks and Preston apologised and that should have been the end of it. We don't need people saying things about the club which are not true."
    Gibson, who has financed Boro in recent years, insists that they will be looking for promotion next year.
    "I have been bankrolling the club for the past 15 years," he said.
    "We have been the best resourced club in the Championship this season by a long, long way. There is nothing wrong with the finances of the club.
    "What we do have is a huge wage bill and that's something we are dealing with.
    "Until the arrival of Tony Mowbray we were not getting a return on the pitch from the wage bill.
    "But our wage bill is unsustainable at any level.
    "Our wage bill is bigger than the combined wage bills of the top two clubs in this league.
    "But it's not about how big your wage bill is, it's about getting value for money from your wage bill.
    "We are 18th in the Championship and that's why this situation can't continue.
    "But, whatever happens with regard to the wage bill, we will continue to be one of the best resourced teams in the Championship next season.
    "The club will be resourced to give the manager a competitive Championship squad."
    With foreign investment becoming more and more common in English football, Gibson is intent on keeping Boro in Teesside hands, something which he remains very proud of.
    "We have had no offers from foreigners wanting to put money into our club," he said.
    "My ethics are the same that they have always been since I became chairman.
    "I believe that my ethics as chairman of the club reflect the town and the people in it.
    "This is not just a football club, it is a flagship for the town.
    "It is important that the club is a community asset and continues to belong to the people of the town.
    "These things are very important to me."

Uploads

Neuer - set for Bayern Munich move.
    BAYERN HINT AT NEUER DEAL

Bayern Munich have claimed they are on the brink of signing Germany and Schalke goalkeeper Manuel Neuer.
    Neuer has also been linked with Manchester United with Edwin van der Sar retiring at the end of the season but it appears the 25-year-old may be on the move to the Allianz Arena for a fee reported to be 20million euros.
    Bayern sporting director Christian Nerlinger told Suddeutsche Zeitung: "There is a clear direction. The question now is how fast the agreement will be reached."
    Neuer said at the weekend he had made a decision as to his future with Bayern president Uli Hoeness saying: "I know his decision. He must see what happens."

Uploads

Borja Valero - 'I really like Napoli'.
    VALERO AGENT TALKS TO NAPOLI

Villarreal midfielder Borja Valero has confirmed his agent has spoken to Italian side Napoli.
    The Spanish playmaker has been attracting attention following good performances for Villarreal this term, with the 26-year-old recently linked with a return to Real Madrid in the summer.
    But his agent Alejandro Camano has been speaking to Napoli and the player himself has expressed his liking for the area.
    Valero told Radio Kiss Kiss: "I really like Napoli, it is an exceptional place.
    "I was there to play with Villarreal in the Europa League and was amazed by the atmosphere at the San Paolo.
    "I do know that my agent Camano has spoken to the Napoli directors, but I can not give any statements on the matter."
    After a difficult spell in the Premier League with West Brom two years ago, Valero moved back to Mallorca last season and became a key figure in their qualification for the Europa League, before signing for Villarreal last summer on a five-year contract.

Uploads

Jamie Ward - on loan from Sheffield United.
    WARD WANTS TO STAY AT DERBY

Derby's on-loan striker Jamie Ward is keen on securing a permanent deal in the summer.
    The 24-year-old is on loan from Sheffield United until the end of the season and has notched three goals in the last six games.
    His last two performances earned him man of the match awards and he admits he would like to stay Pride Park.
    "I love it here," Ward told the Derby Telegraph. "I can't fault anything. The club is brilliant, the manager has been brilliant with me and the lads have been brilliant too.
    "I'm happy, I'm playing football again and it's a massive club, to be honest. So I would like to stay, given the opportunity.
    "It's just a case of getting to the end of the season and then we'll know an awful lot more."

Uploads

Paul Jewell - hopes to keep key players.
    JEWELL HOPING FOR GOOD NEWS

Ipswich manager Paul Jewell hopes to have tied some of his key players to new contracts by the end of the week.
    Captain David Norris and centre-halves Damien Delaney and Gareth McAuley are amongst a whole host of players mulling over new deals in a scenario which Jewell wants to avoid again.
    He said: "I spoke to Damien Delaney on Friday and we are more or less agreed. Well, we are agreed.
    "Definitely by Tuesday at the latest we will have some news, about Delaney and McAuley, or three or even four or five of them.
    "The thing I have to stress here is the players are not being greedy and they are not holding the club to ransom.
    "We shouldn't have been in this situation, but we are, and I think as a club we have all got to learn from it."

Uploads

Ashley Grimes - possible Millwall return.
    JACKETT AIMS TO BOOST OPTIONS

Millwall manager Kenny Jackett could attempt to recall one of his on-loan forwards in a bid to solve the striker crisis which is threatening to derail their play-off bid.
    Steve Morison, the Lions' top scorer, is currently halfway through a three-match ban for his red card at the end of last Tuesday's draw against Bristol City, and veteran frontman Neil Harris is now also suspended for three games following his dismissal against Coventry on Saturday.
    Jackett is also without Kevin Lisbie, who will struggle to play again this season with an ankle injury.
    Millwall currently have Ashley Grimes on loan at Lincoln, Theo Robinson is at Derby and Lewis Grabban is with Brentford.
    Jackett said: "I will be speaking to my chief executive to see if we have a recall on any of our strikers on loan although I think Ashley Grimes is currently suspended."

Uploads

Bortolo Mutti - Bari coach.
    BARI LOOKING TO KEEP SQUAD INTACT

Guido Angelozzi, sporting director of Bari, is hoping the club will keep hold of all of their key personnel if they are relegated from Serie A this season.
    Bari look certain to return to Serie B after two years in Italy's top flight with defeat at fellow strugglers Cesena leaving them 13 points adrift with only 15 to play for.
    But Angelozzi told tuttomercatoweb.com the club will be looking at retaining the services of coach Bortolo Mutti as well as keeping most of their important players.
    "Right now we think we are close but we meet at the end of season to evaluate the work to be done," he said.
    "Mutti is working fine, we will decide everything in the summer, including the choice of the coach."
    Mutti only took over from Giampiero Ventura in February and it now looks like he will be relegated from Serie A for the second successive season after failing to save Atalanta from the drop last year.
    Angelozzi refused to blame either manager, instead lamenting the number of injuries to players. He also insisted that as long as survival is a mathematical possibility the team will continue to fight
    "It has been a stupid season, it has been like a tsunami against us in terms of injuries," he said.
    "We will not give up and instead try to do our work until the end out of respect for the club and the fans."