Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 21-04-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 21-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 21-04-11

Wenger - no problem with Fabregas.
    WENGER FURY OVER FABREGAS ARTICLE

Arsene Wenger emerged from the latest setback in Arsenal's faltering title assault to declare his support for Cesc Fabregas, despite the Gunners captain appearing to undermine his boss in an interview with a Spanish magazine.
    The Gunners are now six points behind Premier League leaders Manchester United after Wednesday night's enthralling 3-3 draw against Tottenham at White Hart Lane saw them drop to third in the table.
    The run up to the match was overshadowed by an interview with Spanish publication Don Balon in which Fabregas reportedly questioned Wenger's policy of putting faith in his young players, rather than bringing in established imports to help end the Londoners' six-year wait for a trophy.
    The Gunners skipper said his words had been twisted and a furious Wenger echoed those sentiments after the stalemate at White Hart Lane.
    "The article bothers me," Wenger said.
    "This was an article organised by the club with a check viewing of the article. Not only did the author not respect the agreement, but also he did twist completely the article and we are really upset about it.
    "It was not an attack on my philosophy.
    "That is not what he (Fabregas) said. He said completely the opposite."
    Arsenal had looked on course to close the gap on United when they raced into a 3-1 lead after 40 minutes at White Hart Lane.
    Theo Walcott, Samir Nasri and Robin van Persie netted for the visitors while Rafael van der Vaart claimed a seventh-minute strike for Spurs.
    Tom Huddlestone's 20-yard rocket put Harry Redknapp's men within one goal of their local rivals before Van der Vaart made it 3-3 from the penalty spot after Aaron Lennon had been brought down by Arsenal keeper Wojciech Szczesny.
    United could seal a record 19th title even if they lose to Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium on May 1, but Wenger insists his team's dream of ending their trophy drought is not over for this year.
    "The title race is completely open," Wenger said.
    "This team has a remarkable attitude and even if at the moment we do not have the number of points, we are remarkably consistent and it was a difficult game tonight.
    "Chelsea are now back in the race. Chelsea play Man United and Tottenham but it's down to us.
    "We have to keep our faith and keep battling."
    Redknapp's side now trail fourth-place Manchester City by two points in the race for a Champions League spot, but he instead chose to savour the exciting clash and praise his side's character after almost pulling off an amazing comeback.
    "It was a great game played between two good teams," Redknapp said.
    "I felt we were excellent in the second half and we had the best chances to win it in the end.
    "We have come back from losing positions quite a bit and turned the game around.
    "The spirit we have here comes from having a happy camp, you create that spirit at the club.
    "William Gallas was struggling at the end and I was going to sub him, but he wanted to play on and you need people like that who never give up."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 21-04-11

Aquilani - could return to Anfield.
    DALGLISH: AQUILANI COULD RETURN

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has refused to rule out a possible Anfield return for Alberto Aquilani in the summer.
    The Italy midfielder is currently on a season-long loan at Juventus and has made over 30 appearances for the Bianconeri this term.
    Aquilani was signed by Rafa Benitez in July 2009 for almost 20million from Roma as a replacement for Xabi Alonso, who went to Real Madrid.
    However, injuries blighted his season at Anfield and, despite showing signs of promise towards the end of last term, former coach Roy Hodgson decided to allow the player to return to Italy.
    Although Juventus are still looking at bringing Aquilani in on a permanent basis - with an appropriate fee believed to have been settled upon his loan - Dalglish insists Aquilani may make a return to Merseyside.
    "When people talk about next season, I'm surprised they don't give Alberto a mention," the Scot told the club's official website..
    "Everyone seems to have forgotten about him.
    "I know he has done really well at Juventus this season. When the loan finishes at the end of the season, he reverts back to being a Liverpool player.
    "Nothing is cast in stone and he could be coming back to play for Liverpool. He could be a valuable asset here next season. He's still our player.
    "He certainly didn't have the best of luck last season.
    "At times he did really well and at other times he didn't do quite so well but you can say that about most players. What I do know is that he's had a fantastic season at Juventus."

Uploads

Ancelotti - won't be drawn on future.
    ANCELOTTI REFUSES TO SPECULATE

Carlo Ancelotti refused to speculate on whether a sensational late comeback in the Premier League title race would see him avoid the sack after Chelsea closed to within six points of Manchester United.
    The Blues beat Birmingham 3-1 on Wednesday night to leapfrog ailing Arsenal into second place and give themselves a glimmer of hope of retaining their crown.
    Manager Ancelotti believes his side need to win their remaining five matches, which include a trip to Old Trafford, and hope United lose one more game to snatch the title.
    The Italian appeared all but resigned to losing his job after Chelsea crashed out of the Champions League last week but retaining the championship would surely make owner Roman Abramovich think twice about giving him the boot.
    Asked if he felt his job would be secure if he masterminded such a comeback, Ancelotti said: "Questions with 'if' are not good.
    "At the end of the season, we will have a big press conference - a strong and tough press conference."
    He added: "In football, I learned that everything can happen in the game right up to the final whistle.
    "You can win the title in the last minute, and you can lose the title in the last minute.
    "If we thought that one month ago we'd have a little chance to come back to fight for the title, I think that everyone could have said we were crazy.
    "We await to see what happens in the next five games."
    Ancelotti was rewarded for sticking with his in-form front three as Fernando Torres failed to earn a recall.
    Florent Malouda scored twice and Salomon Kalou once, while Didier Drogba also ran Birmingham ragged.
    Admitting Drogba was back to his best after malaria laid him low towards the end of last year, Ancelotti added: "I think that now he's fit and he's showing fantastic quality.
    "In one season, problems like Didier had can happen.
    "Now we have to be happy to see him playing fantastic football, but forget the past."
    Birmingham boss Alex McLeish refused to rule Chelsea out of the title race.
    "Anything could happen," he said.
    "You just never know the way this league has gone this season. Teams are winning games that you don't expect.
    "There could be further twists, though United are in a hell of a good position."
    McLeish was more concerned with his own side's five-point cushion over the drop zone.
    He added: "I would say we need another win. We'll try and get as many points in the last five games as we can."

Uploads

Getafe - purchased by Royal Emirates Group.
    DUBAI GROUP CLAIM GETAFE PURCHASE

Dubai-based Royal Emirates Group claim to have bought Spanish Primera Division club Getafe.
    A press release from Royal Emirates Group read: "Royal Emirates Group, the dynamic conglomerate chaired by His Highness Sheikh Butti Bin Suhail Al Maktoum on Thursday April 21st, 2011 announced their purchase of first division Spanish football club Getafe CF.
    "(Getafe president) Angel Torres felt this landmark agreement will lead to new business relationships being forged between UAE and Spain. In the spirit of this joint endeavour and to show the solidarity of the people of Dubai it was announced that Getafe CF will now add the tag line "Team Dubai" to its crest.
    "Royal Emirates Group plans to invest heavily in inducting new blood and promoting the team in the region with the aim to make Dubai a transcending sky bridge between Europe and the Middle East."
    Getafe, who have been playing in the Primera Division since first winning promotion to the top flight in 2004, finished in sixth place last season but are currently battling against relegation.
    Last weekend's 1-0 win over Sevilla - only Getafe's second league victory in 16 matches in 2011 - left the club from the outskirts of Madrid in 14th place, four points above the relegation zone.
    Getafe reached the final of the Copa del Rey in both 2007 and 2008, losing to Sevilla and Valencia respectively, and reached the quarter-finals of the UEFA Cup in 2007 before being knocked out by Bayern Munich on away goals.
    Royal Emirates Group says it has a "widely diversified portfolio of over 200 firms, ranging from commodities, oil and gas, renewable energy, travel & tourism, health care, water purification, real estate & construction."

Uploads

Dalglish - turned Liverpool's season around.
    DALGLISH DEFLECTS THE CREDIT

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is keen to share around the credit which has been lavished on him since he took over in January.
    Since the Scot replaced Roy Hodgson the team have taken 25 points from a possible 39 and are unbeaten at Anfield, having won four and drawn two in the Premier League.
    Talks are still continuing over him earning a permanent contract, having initially only been appointed as a stop-gap until the end of the season, but all indications are that a new contract will be forthcoming.
    Owners Fenway Sports Group are also keen to retain the services of coach Steve Clarke, who arrived two days after Dalglish's appointment to bolster the backroom staff, and the club have been talking to the former Chelsea assistant for some time about extending his deal.
    The players have spoken in support of the work Clarke has done on the training ground and Dalglish admitted his fellow Scot had been a huge help.
    "We both came in at the same time and he has been really influential in what has gone on," said the Reds boss.
    "But it is not a one-man band, everyone chips in to make a huge contribution to results."
    Dalglish has had to fend off questions about his contract situation for some weeks now and today was no different.
    "We've said before, when there's something to tell you we'll tell you - there's nothing to be said," was his response at his pre-match press conference for Saturday's visit of Birmingham.

Uploads

Wilkinson - new contract.
    NEW DEAL FOR WILKINSON

Stoke full-back Andy Wilkinson has signed a new contract to keep him at the FA Cup finalists until 2014.
    The 26-year-old was a part of the the stunning 5-0 FA Cup semi-final win over Bolton on Sunday that earned the club their first ever final appearance.
    Wilkinson, who was born in Stoke, is one of the club's longest-serving players having made his first-team debut in 2003-04.
    "This has capped an amazing few days for me," Wilkinson told the club's official website, www.stokecityfc.com.
    "Being a local lad, it's always been a dream of mine to play for this club, never mind having the chance now to play in an FA Cup final following our win at the weekend.
    "It's been remarkable to see the progress this club has made in my time here and I am excited about what the future holds in store for us."
    Manager Tony Pulis said Wilkinson's deal was an important step as the club looked to secure the future of the players that have helped to build them into a solid top-tier club.
    "This could go down as one of the most successful seasons in the club's long history and at a time like this it is important that we look after those players who have helped get us where we are today," he said.
    "Andy is certainly one such player deserving of that recognition and I am sure that he has an equally vital role to play in our future."

Uploads

Neville - Giggs inspiration.
    PHIL NEVILLE INSPIRED BY GIGGS

Everton captain Phil Neville plans to take inspiration from Ryan Giggs and keep on defying the years.
    At 37 years old, veteran Giggs is still a key performer for Manchester United and has committed to at least one more season at Old Trafford.
    Defender Neville spent a decade as a United team-mate of Giggs before making the move to Goodison Park six years ago.
    And the 34-year-old wants to emulate his former colleague by carrying on playing for as long as he can.
    He said: "At my age you tend to take it one season at a time but I feel as fit as I ever have. I can go on for at least another two or three seasons.
    "I look at someone like Giggsy and he is an inspiration to all of us.
    "He looks as fit and quick as ever and is still one of the best players in the Premier League.
    "I am trying to follow his example and do all the right things. I have got one year left on my contract and when I come back for next season my plan is to be ahead of everyone else, to be fitter than everyone."
    Tottenham attempted to lure Neville away from the Toffees in January, but the former England international was not tempted by a move.
    He added: "It was simple. Spurs came in with a bid and Everton said 'no.'
    "As captain I was in a great position, I knew that and love playing for this club."

Uploads

Sbragia - leaves Sunderland.
    SBRAGIA LEAVES BLACK CATS

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has confirmed former manager Ricky Sbragia has left the club.
    It emerged last month that the former coach, who took over the hotseat in the immediate aftermath of Roy Keane's departure and kept the club in the Premier League, was to end his spell on Wearside.
    However, Quinn has now confirmed that he has left his role as chief scout, to which he was appointed in the wake of Steve Bruce's arrival, by mutual consent.
    The chairman told the club's official website: "Ricky has been a tremendous servant to our club - firstly in a coaching capacity, then of course taking the helm after the departure of Roy Keane and latterly as chief scout.
    "Ricky is a true footballing man and we will always be grateful to him for everything he has done for the club. We wish him all the best for the future."

Uploads

Adam - could leave in the summer.
    HOLLOWAY UNFAZED BY ADAM FUTURE

Blackpool boss Ian Holloway insists he is not worrying about the prospect of losing Charlie Adam in the summer because the situation is beyond his control.
    The Seasiders turned down several bids for Adam in January but the club captain - a shortlisted nominee for the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year award won by Tottenham's Gareth Bale on Sunday - is widely expected to leave Bloomfield Road at the end of the season.
    Holloway, whose team have won only once in their last 13 games and on Saturday dropped into the Barclays Premier League relegation zone, told the Blackpool Gazette: "I haven't got a clue whether he'll move on or not in the summer. I can't worry about things that aren't in my control.
    "The situation will be taken out of my hands because of how well he has played.
    "Other people who have a lot more resources than I have will have seen what he can do, and it will be their choice and not mine.
    "One thing I do know is that the chairman (Karl Oyston) couldn't have done any more.
    "If Charlie had gone and we'd hit this bad run of form, everybody would have looked at the chairman and blamed him.
    "But I think he has tried to do the right things for the fans, for the team and for us, the staff - maybe not for Charlie personally."
    Adam's current contract at Blackpool runs until the end of next season.
    "Players sign these deals and they should see their contract through, unless someone offers us a fee which is respectable and I didn't think we were offered that in January," Holloway said.
    "So until his contract runs out, surely we should hold out for what we think is right and not be bullied by some bigger, stronger and tougher clubs.
    "That's what they were trying to do in January and I didn't like it.
    Adam sustained a foot injury in Saturday's 3-1 defeat to Wigan, although reports have suggested the 25-year-old should be fit to face Newcastle this weekend.
    Meanwhile, Blackpool have announced that their former player and manager Allan Brown has died at the age of 84.
    Brown joined the Seasiders for a fee of 26,500 from Scottish side East Fife in 1950 but the midfielder missed the 1951 and 1953 FA Cup finals due to injury, with a broken leg ruling him out of the victory in the latter.
    He made over 150 appearances for Blackpool and returned to manage the club on two separate occasions.

Uploads

Bruce - hit by Campbell blow.
    STEVE BRUCE EYES NEW STRIKERS

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce will step up his search for strikers this summer as he resigns himself to being without Fraizer Campbell for a year.
    The 23-year-old, who has managed just four appearances this season because of a cruciate knee ligament injury, is undergoing a second operation after breaking down again in training.
    Bruce admitted last Friday that his 3.5million signing would miss most of the new campaign if surgery was required and his worst fears have now been realised, with Campbell preparing for another lengthy lay-off.
    Bruce told the Sunderland Echo: "Fraizer gets operated on today. He will be out for 12 months.
    "He was out on the training ground yesterday having a bit of banter with the players. He's taken it okay because he is strong mentally.
    "Thankfully, with his strength of mind, we think he will be okay. I hope he will be. If there's anyone mentally tough enough, it's him."
    Campbell's trip to the operating theatre came just 48 hours after goalkeeper Craig Gordon had surgery on his injured knee which will rule him out for up to six months.
    However, while Bruce has Belgium international Simon Mignolet as a ready replacement - the 23-year-old's poor day at Birmingham last weekend was in stark contrast to his recent form - strikers are currently painfully thin on the ground at the Stadium of Light.
    The manager has conceded that, with hindsight, the decision to sell Darren Bent to Aston Villa when they came calling with a cheque for 24million in January might have been an error, although he insists there was little point in trying to hang on to a man who had clearly made up his mind to go.
    Sunderland have played 10 Premier League games since Bent defected to the West Midlands, and have won just one of them.
    More alarmingly, they have collected a solitary point from the 27 on offer since beating Blackpool on January 22 to slip out of contention for European qualification to the fringes of the fight for survival.
    Those 10 games have brought just nine goals; Bent has scored six for Villa during the same period.
    The Black Cats took the decision not to spend in haste to replace the former Tottenham man despite loan signing Danny Welbeck having earlier suffered a knee injury, preferring instead to prepare themselves fully for the summer market.
    They recruited forward Stephane Sessegnon and midfielder Sulley Muntari in January with Bruce confident that within a matter of weeks, Campbell would be back in harness.
    However, his progress came to a juddering halt two days before the club's trip to Manchester City - the club against whom he had suffered the original injury on August 29 - when he twisted his knee in training.
    Bruce said: "In January, I was looking at March and April for Fraizer to be fit, and he was making such great progress.
    "It stopped me from going for another striker because I thought Fraizer would be fit in six weeks."
    With Welbeck suffering a hamstring strain at Birmingham, Bruce faces heading into Saturday's home clash with Wigan - a game he cannot afford to lose - with just one fit striker in the shape of Asamoah Gyan.
    He could once again play midfielder Kieran Richardson as an auxiliary striker - he scored twice in that role at Blackpool - provided he recovers from his hamstring problem.
    But Campbell's misfortune has brought home the need to Bruce that he must add significantly to his pool of strikers, with Welbeck set to return to parent club Manchester United at the end of the season.
    The manager said: "It puts a bit more pressure on us for next season. Going forward as a club, we have to look to get over it because in the summer, we have got one striker."
    Meanwhile, goalkeeper Trevor Carson has been recalled from his loan spell at Brentford to provide cover for Mignolet as Gordon prepares to begin his rehabilitation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast