Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-04-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 28-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 28-04-11

Wayne Rooney celebrates his goal against Schalke.
    WAYNE ROONEY REGRETS TRANSFER REQUEST

Wayne Rooney admits he has spent the season "trying to prove himself again" to Manchester United's fans after accepting he made a mistake in requesting a transfer.
    The 25-year-old England striker looked to be on his way out of Old Trafford after confirming in October he wanted to leave the club after claiming chief executive David Gill had failed to give him assurances about United's ability to attract top-class talent in the future.
    Rooney made a swift U-turn and within days had signed a lucrative new deal with United, and after playing a key role in the club's challenge for Champions League and Barclays Premier League success he has admitted he is driven by a desire to right the wrongs of October.
    "I made a mistake," Rooney told the Guardian.
    "You know, when I look back at it now, I'll say it again, how wrong was I? I'm willing to admit that. I've apologised and ever since then I have wanted to try to prove myself again to the fans. I feel I am doing that now."
    Rooney has scored 12 goals in 21 games since the start of 2011, the latest coming in the 2-0 win over Schalke in Gelsenkirchen which has put United within touching distance of the Champions League final at Wembley on May 28.
    "I'm delighted with my form at the minute and I'm grateful to the fans for supporting me through (the transfer demands)," he added.
    "I hope I've repaid the fans now. I certainly feel vindicated (for deciding to stay). It's going to be a great end to the season if we can get to Wembley and win a Champions League final as well as the league."
    "I am a lot happier in my life, a lot happier with the way I'm playing. It's almost been like having to settle down again and I've done that now."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-04-11

Neuer - not looking for United switch.
    NEUER - MAN UNITED NOT AN OPTION

Manuel Neuer has insisted that moving to Manchester United has never been a realistic option.
    United have again been strongly linked with a move for the German goalkeeper following his outstanding display against them in the first leg of the UEFA Champions League semi-final between Schalke and the Red Devils.
    Indeed the English media have again leapt onto the possibility of United sealing a deal for Neuer after Sir Alex Ferguson described it as probably the finest goalkeeping display by an opponent during his time with the club.
    Neuer's performance, though, will not have been a surprise to Ferguson whose interest in the Schalke star dates back more than a year but, despite his scouts keeping close and constant checks on him, his heart is set on a move to Bayern Munich.
    Neuer revealed earlier this month that he had already made his mind up about his future, and Bayern have confirmed that they will look to finalise a deal with Schalke shortly.
    Both Bayern and Schalke are posturing about Neuer, but a deal looks set to be struck in the coming weeks, and that has only been emphasised by the keeper himself.
    "Manchester United was never an option for me," said the 25-year-old.
    "I will focus now on my performances and my team. All the other things don't matter at the moment."
    United for their part are still trying to convince Edwin van der Sar to remain for at least another year, although they have seemingly already decided on his successor after opening talks with Atletico Madrid over their outstanding young keeper David de Gea.

Uploads

Niko Kranjcar - eyes Serie A switch.
    KRANJCAR WANTS ITALY MOVE

Tottenham midfielder Niko Kranjcar says he wants to move to Italy after struggling for first-team opportunities at White Hart Lane this season.
    The 26-year-old Croatian, who joined Spurs from Portsmouth in September 2009, has started only two of his side's 33 Barclays Premier League games this season and the club turned down an offer from Werder Bremen for him in the January transfer window.
    "Is there a point of beginning next season as a bit-part player? None whatsoever," Kranjcar said in quotes reported by The Sun.
    "I have an agreed meeting with the chairman (Daniel Levy) and the manager (Harry Redknapp), it should happen within a week.
    "After the meeting I want to have a clear picture about my status.
    "I would definitely be interested in moving to Italy. I think I would adapt quickly to Italian football."

Uploads

Allan McGregor - linked with Rangers exit.
    McGREGOR: DECISION OUT OF MY HANDS

Allan McGregor has reiterated his desire to stay at Rangers, but admits the decision could be taken out of his hands.
    It has been reported the Ibrox goalkeeper has opened talks with the club about a four-year deal.
    McGregor's current deal expires in 2013 but he is looking to extend his contract by at least two more years despite interest from England and the continent, which is sure to have been heightened by his performance in Sunday's Old Firm game at Ibrox.
    However, with Scottish businessman Craig Whyte's protracted takeover of the club yet to be completed - although insiders claim it could be done today - manager-in-waiting Ally McCoist is in limbo with regards his plans for next season.
    McGregor is aware of the uncertainty surrounding the club and himself.
    "I still have two years of my current deal so there are players with priority over me," the Scotland number one told ClubTV.
    "I think they need to get sorted out first and then we will see what happens.
    "But I have been here my whole life. I love the club and I would love to stay but it is out of my control, I think, if something does happen in the summer.
    "My challenge is to win games at this club and win as many trophies as I can and I love that challenge. It is the most important thing to me.
    "Each season is a different challenge and you want to keep winning and that's what I love.
    "My main focus is on this season and then I will enjoy a holiday and take it from there."
    McGregor believes he is improving year on year, and he provided evidence of that against Celtic on Sunday with his impressive penalty save from Georgios Samaras near the end to keep the game goalless and the Light Blues one point clear of their Old Firm rivals at the top of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
    He said: "Since I broke into the team four or five years ago I feel I have slowly got better each season.
    "I feel like that again this season.
    "You always learn, especially at a club like this, playing in European games and also playing for Scotland."

Uploads

Michael Bradley - yet to shine for Aston Villa.
    VILLA TO DECIDE ON BRADLEY

Gary McAllister says Michael Bradley could yet earn a permanent deal at Aston Villa after confirming talks are expected to be held with Brad Friedel and Nigel Reo-Coker.
    Bradley joined Villa on loan from Borussia Monchengladbach in January, but the midfielder has yet to make an impact in the Premier League.
    He has made just one substitute's appearance in the league and Villa's battle for top-flight survival has restricted the USA international's opportunities to catch the eye.
    However, McAllister has been impressed by Bradley in training and will discuss with manager Gerard Houllier whether the 23-year-old merits a long-term offer.
    "With four games to go it is something that Gerard and I will be speaking about because there are two or three guys in the same boat as Michael," said Villa's assistant manager in the Birmingham Mail.
    "It's true that it has been hard to play him in the situation we have been in at a time when we have had senior experienced players available.
    "That is purely all that has held him back, nothing else, because his attitude has been top drawer.
    "He is a fantastic professional for such a young guy - he is captain of his country, don't forget, and he is a top player.
    "He has done enough on the training ground to suggest there might be something come the end of the season because he is an honest, hard-working guy as well as a good player."
    Meanwhile, Villa are also set to hold discussions with goalkeeper Friedel and midfielder Reo-Coker, who are both out of contract at the end of the season.
    Villa boss Houllier is currently in hospital following a health scare and McAllister feels the two players understand why talks are on hold.
    He added: "I think we need to be sat down with Gerard, the chairman and chief executive Paul Faulkner because they are very important for people's lives.
    "We're aware of the situation and it will all be sorted. There has been no direct dialogue with these guys yet but I'm sure they understand the situation."

Uploads

Hodgson - not planning a shake-up.
    HODGSON'S HAPPY WITH HIS LOT

West Brom boss Roy Hodgson is not planning a major shake-up of his squad this summer after assessing their form for the past three months.
    Hodgson, who replaced Roberto Di Matteo in February, will put the emphasis on quality rather than quantity when the transfer window reopens.
    The Baggies have taken 13 points from eight games since Hodgson took charge to virtually guarantee Barclays Premier League status for another season.
    Hodgson said: "I don't want to say too much until I get the chance to talk to the chairman (Jeremy Peace).
    "We have spoken internally amongst the coaching staff and with Dan Ashworth (sporting and technical director) about plans and ideas.
    "But, if it was up to me, I would not want to make wholesale changes in the summer.
    "Of course, some will be necessary because I'm certain some players will leave which will leave gaps that need to be filled.
    "But I will be happier if we get players that will make everyone else sit up and look over their shoulder and worry about their first team place.
    "I'd rather that than bringing in players who will fill up the numbers."
    Meanwhile, defender Steven Reid is battling to recover from a calf strain in time for Saturday's home derby clash with Aston Villa.
    Reid had to be substituted during last weekend's 2-2 draw at Tottenham.

Uploads

Amoo - enjoying his time at Hull.
    AMOO HAPPY TO WAIT ON FUTURE

David Amoo admits he is unsure about his long-term future, but is enjoying his loan spell at Championship side Hull City.
    The young striker joined Hull from Liverpool in February and has so far made five substitute appearances for Nigel Pearson' side.
    He scored his first goal for the Tigers in Monday's 1-1 draw at leaders Queens Park Rangers and has been tipped to make a permanent move to the KC Stadium.
    The 20-year-old was delighted to open his account for Hull and is now waiting to see what will happen at the end of the season.
    "It was all about being patient to get my chance in the team," said Amoo.
    "I spoke to the gaffer and he said to me just do what you've been doing in training and you'll get your chance and I'm delighted to have got it.
    "Regarding my future, we'll see how it goes. It's up to the coaches and they're the ones who see me every day.
    "But I am enjoying it at Hull. I've just got to work hard and I've really had a good time here."

Uploads

Cesc Fabregas - linked with a move.
    WENGER NOT WILLING TO SELL STARS

Arsene Wenger maintains it is useless for anyone to suggest Arsenal are ready to sell captain Cesc Fabregas this summer despite another season of disappointment for the World Cup winner.
    The Gunners have seen hopes of salvaging their campaign with the Barclays Premier League title vanish after a last-minute defeat at Bolton left them nine points adrift of Manchester United and down into third place behind Chelsea.
    With the inquests already under way into what would be a sixth season without silverware since Patrick Vieira lifted the FA Cup, reports have suggested Arsenal will now be forced to cash in on their skipper, who almost joined boyhood club Barcelona for 30million last summer.
    Wenger, though, insists such speculation is again wide of the mark as he aims to keep a young squad together which he firmly believes will mature naturally into winners.
    "We play our game against Manchester United on Sunday, and we are not on the transfer market," the Arsenal manager said.
    "We do not want to sell our players - so all the players who have contracts will stay here unless we decide otherwise."
    Wenger added: "We want to keep our best players. This is a subject that in fairness is not very creative.
    "We have answered that in nearly 80% of our press conferences and at some stage it has to stop, because the past has shown that this question is useless."
    While Wenger admits he will look to bring in some fresh, and most likely experienced, faces ahead of next season, the Arsenal manager remains confident his young squad are heading in the right direction.
    "There are some things when the team has lost a little bit of confidence, is a bit more nervous, is in a more difficult patch, that you pay for, but you do not necessary pay for every year," he said.
    "We had a blow on Sunday with a last-minute goal and it is vital for us to show that we have some mental qualities and finish with a very strong fighting spirit.
    "Manchester United are now in a very strong position, but we have to fight until the end of the last second of the championship.
    "The title is very unlikely for us now - let's not hide the truth - but the pride of our group is to first of all finish in the Champions League places.
    "We have to look back and we have to look in front because even if there is a minimal chance, we have to fight for it."
    What makes things more frustrating for Wenger and all Arsenal fans is just what could have been this season, the Gunners losing in the last minute of the Carling Cup final before then going out of Europe in Barcelona and the FA Cup at Old Trafford.
    "If you look at all the numbers, it is the closest we have been," said Wenger.
    "Just look at the last week - we could have had nine points quite easily against Liverpool, Tottenham and Bolton, in the end we finished with two.
    "We feel more frustrated than ever because we are closer than ever to winning this league.
    "Of the two trophies, the most important above all for me is the league - and this year we had the quality to win it."
    Arsenal had been on a 16-game unbeaten run before losing at the Reebok, but a succession of draws already had looked to derail their realistic title hopes.
    Wenger, though, expects a response against United on Sunday.
    "It is important for our pride, for our mathematics in the table, and for what we delivered this season," he said.
    "We delivered top quality games. Once the season is over and we look at the best games played this season, I am sure that Arsenal has played a big part in it.
    "But it is important that we promised ourselves to fight until the last second of the season, no matter what happens. That is what we want to do now - and you never know."

Uploads

Kevin Nolan - set to sign new deal soon.
    NOLAN SET FOR NEW MAGPIES DEAL

Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan is ready to sign a new contract to end speculation over his future.
    The 28-year-old midfielder, who has scored 12 goals to date this season, has become a key figure in the Magpies' dressing room and team-mate Joey Barton recently indicated that if the former Bolton man put pen to paper, he would follow suit.
    Now Nolan has revealed he intends to do just that within the next fortnight to hand manager Alan Pardew a major boost as he prepares for a summer recruitment drive.
    The Liverpool-born player, who has two years of his existing deal to run, told the Evening Chronicle: "Negotiations are at an advanced stage. Most things have been agreed and I would think I will sign next week or the week after.
    "The gaffer and the board have been great about it. It's almost done and dusted.
    "I want the whole thing over and done with because, until I sign, everyone is going to be asking me about it."
    Nolan, who has been linked with a summer move to West Ham, was one of the gang of senior players who united the Newcastle dressing room in the wake of relegation to the Championship two seasons ago.
    He, keeper Steve Harper and midfielders Alan Smith and Nicky Butt helped forge the spirit which proved so influential in the club's title charge and subsequent Barclays Premier League campaign.
    Nolan, who scored 18 goals last season, has been a significant contributor once again, particularly in the wake of Andy Carroll's January departure for Sunday's opponents Liverpool.
    However, the hat-trick he scored in a 5-1 rout of derby rivals Sunderland on October 31 last year earned him his place in Geordie folklore.
    Nolan, Barton and Jose Enrique are all players whose futures Pardew hopes to secure, although while there have been suggestions Barton is also ready to extend his stay on Tyneside, the Spaniard has been heavily linked with a series of suitors, including Liverpool.
    Pardew is convinced he will receive a large proportion of the 35million the club raked in from the Reds for Carroll with which to strengthen his squad, although he has always seen the retention of his best players - midfielder Cheick Tiote signed a new, long-term deal earlier this year - as his first priority.
    Nolan added: "We have made so much progress since relegation. We need to keep important players and sign more, which is what the gaffer intends to do.
    "I am desperate to bring success to St James' Park. I watched Newcastle in their two FA Cup finals at the end of the '90s and the fans deserved at least one of those to end in victory.
    "We know we can bring back the good days and go one better by winning a trophy. That is my dream, for it to happen in my time."

Uploads

Mancini - wants City stay next season.
    MANCINI PLAYS DOWN JUVE LINKS

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini is in no hurry to leave Eastlands.
    The Italian has been linked with a move back home to take charge of Juventus, the team he has supported as a boy.
    Regarding the growing speculation, Mancini said: "It is normal. Every two or three months every player can change squad, every manager can change squad."
    Asked if would choose to stay at City, he responded: "Yes, yes. Absolutely."
    In his first full season with City, Mancini is in sight of great success on two fronts.
    They are on course for a place in the Champions League for the first time with a home match against struggling West Ham to come on Sunday.
    Not only that, but City also face Stoke in the FA Cup final at Wembley on May 14 with
    a chance to end a 35-year wait for a major trophy.
    Mancini is pulling out all the stops so that Carlos Tevez will be fit for the showpiece match.
    However the City boss insists his influential club captain will need to play one game at least before then.
    That could be against Tottenham - their main rivals for a Champions League spot - on May 10.
    Tevez returned to Manchester this week after receiving treatment for his hamstring injury in Milan from Argentina team doctor Daniel Martinez.
    Mancini said: "Carlos is here and has started running again. We will do everything so he can recover.
    "It is difficult to say if he will play in the final. But that will only happen if he can come back against Tottenham.
    "It is very important Carlos is 100%, not 60% or 70%. It is better to have all the players available for the next game but it is impossible at this moment."
    Meanwhile Mancini has asked City fans to respect their Manchester United counterparts and not sing songs about the Munich air crash.
    The 1-0 win at Blackburn on Monday was marred by chants about the 1958 tragedy which claimed the lives of 23 people.
    Mancini: "I did not hear this. I do not know this situation but we should have respect for what happened many years ago. The rivalry is good on the pitch, only on the pitch. "