Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 29-04-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 29-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 29-04-11

Jose Mourinho - set to stay in Spain.
    JOSE MOURINHO SET FOR REAL STAY

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has hinted that he is ready to stay in charge of the Spanish giants after recent speculation linking him with a move back to the Premier League.
    The former Chelsea boss is facing disciplinary action by UEFA following his "inappropriate comments" after Wednesday's Champions League home defeat to Barcelona.
    But Mourinho has said the recent events have only strengthened his bond with the Bernabeu side.
    The former Chelsea manager joined Real from Inter Milan last summer and still has four years to run on his current contract.
    "To remain at Real Madrid makes more sense than ever before," he said. "Now I have more willingness to continue in charge of Real Madrid for what this means.
    "This (Madrid) jersey is white, and white now has more significance."
    The Portuguese manager implied after his team's 2-0 loss to Barca in their semi-final first leg that the Catalan club receive favourable treatment from referees and claimed Barcelona had yet to win a "clean" Champions League title under coach Pep Guardiola.
    Asked about the UEFA charges he faces, Mourinho, who was sent off during that game, said in Friday's press conference: "I am very well, thank you.
    "I am in good health and working as always.
    "I don't want to discuss this any further and for a simple reason.
    "An image is worth more than 1000 words and there are so many images from that game that were shown all over the world, that I have nothing else to add.
    "Whoever criticises my words is criticising those images and those who criticise those images think they come from photoshop or are a video montage.
    "But they are real."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 29-04-11

Tevez - Man City striker may seek summer move.
    MAN CITY PUT TEVEZ TALKS ON HOLD

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini has put talks over Carlos Tevez's future on hold until the summer.
    The Blues play Stoke in the FA Cup final on 14th May while they are looking to secure a fourth-placed finish in the Premier League.
    Tevez handed in a transfer request in December and despite being persuaded to stay, the City skipper may push for a move in the summer.
    The Argentina striker missed the FA Cup semi-final win over Manchester United with a hamstring injury and has spent two weeks receiving treatment in Italy.
    The 27-year-old was strongly linked with Inter Milan and Juventus but has been told he will have to wait till the end of the season to discuss his future.
    "We need to talk but we have time to do this," said Mancini. "For now, it's more important to know when Carlos can play.
    "Hopefully after we win the FA Cup and get in the Champions League we can talk about it."
    Tevez has returned from Milan and although Mancini hopes he can prove his fitness in time to face Everton next Saturday or Tottenham on 10th May, he will not be rushing Tevez back into action.
    "First he has to be 100 per cent," added the Blues boss.
    "If we take a risk because we want to play with Carlos and he's not ready then it can be a big problem for him and for us as well."

Uploads

Phjil Jones - attracting plenty of interest.
    KEAN: JONES WOULD COST MASSIVE FEE

Any club interested in Blackburn's brilliant young defender Phil Jones will have to pay a "massive fee" if they want to land the 18-year-old, Rovers manager Steve Kean has warned.
    Jones has already attracted interest from Arsenal and Manchester United, while Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish was at Ewood Park on Monday to see another superb performance from England Under-21 star.
    Jones, likened to a young John Terry "but better" by Spanish team-mate Michel Salgado, signed a new five-year deal with Blackburn earlier this season and Kean hopes his plans for new signings will persuade the teenager that his future lies with his local club.
    Kean said: "It's going to be difficult for Phil but we are confident. This is where he started, where he got his first chance and we believe we have rewarded him very well.
    "He wants to play as high up the league as everybody else does and he's a star in the making.
    "He's on a five-year contract and if we can sit down at the end of the season and discuss what players we are trying to bring into the club then hopefully we can keep the big hitters away.
    "We want to sit down with all the younger ones and explain what we want to do as a club over the next two, three or four years and if they stay with us they are going to part of that story.
    "If they decide they want to move on then the clubs concerned will have to pay top dollar because they are under very, very long contracts and the fees we would be demanding would be massive."
    The key to any discussions will be Blackburn avoiding relegation, and the visit of Bolton on Saturday has now assumed an importance of gigantic proportions.
    A return of just four points out of a possible 30 in the last 10 league matches tells its own story and victory is a must given that Rovers' remaining games after that are home to Manchester United and away at relegation rivals West Ham and Wolves.
    Kean added: "A win against Bolton would lift us into a very good position. It wouldn't be done and dusted but it would be a massive step forward in taking us a step closer to being where we want to be."
    Steven Nzonzi is back from suspension for Blackburn when Bolton visit, but striker Junior Hoilett remains 50-50 with a hamstring problem.
    Blackburn's struggles to find goals will not be helped by doubts over Roque Santa Cruz (hamstring) while midfielder David Dunn misses out with a calf injury.

Uploads

David Moyes - linked with Aston Villa.
    MOYES BEMUSED BY VILLA LINK

Everton boss David Moyes is bemused by reports linking him with Aston Villa.
    Moyes' future has been the subject of recurring speculation this season but the Scot has continually insisted he is happy at Goodison Park.
    That was again the case when asked on Friday about the Villa rumours, which have arisen due to the ill health of current manager Gerard Houllier.
    "It is nothing to do with me," said 48-year-old Moyes, who has been in charge at Goodison Park for nine years.
    "I am at a great club and have got a great job. I don't know what to say."
    Moyes was speaking at a press conference to preview his side's Barclays Premier League trip to Wigan on Saturday.
    Everton are seventh in the table after finding form over the past two months.
    The Toffees were unbeaten in seven games prior to last week's loss at Manchester United and their strong run is bringing a generally disappointing campaign to a positive conclusion.
    Everton, restricted by a small squad and limited funds for transfers, spent most of the first half of the season in the bottom half.
    Moyes said: "This is probably the position where most people would have put us. Most people would have said we'd be between fifth and eighth. I'm disappointed because I felt we could have gone one better than that.
    "But there is still enough to play for, we have tried to emphasise to the players it is important we stay near the top.
    "That is where we want to be and I have not seen any signs from the players to suggest they think any different."
    Everton end the season with home games against Manchester City and Chelsea, either side of a match at West Brom.
    First they must tackle Wigan, who are anxious for points at the bottom end of the table.
    Moyes said: "They are always pretty tough games against Wigan. Roberto (Martinez) always gets his team playing in a good footballing style, but I am sure at the moment winning is the key.
    "We had a spell six or eight weeks ago when I felt we had to make sure we won.
    "Luckily we did and when you get those wins it brings a bit of confidence back to the team and the squad and hopefully your performances can improve.
    "Just over a week ago Wigan came out of the bottom three for the first time in a long while and they will know they are not far away from that."
    Everton playmaker Mikel Arteta could return after five games out with a hamstring injury having trained this week.
    Midfielder Tim Cahill is likely to be involved but again only as a substitute as he continues his recovery from a foot injury.
    The Australian came off the bench at Old Trafford after sitting out six out of the previous seven games.
    The 31-year-old has endured a gruelling schedule having played in the World Cup and Asian Cup in the past year.
    Moyes said: "It is concerning because it is one of these things that may go tomorrow or it might still be there in three months' time.
    "It is something that tends to just burn itself out and get better in time."
    The Toffees side will feature two players with Wigan links in in-form duo Leighton Baines and Leon Osman.
    England left-back Baines came through the ranks at Athletic before moving on to Goodison while dynamic midfielder Osman was born and has family in the area.
    Moyes said: "Leighton Baines has improved no end from when we took him.
    "He was a good player at Wigan and that is what got us looking at him and signing him.
    "It took him a while to settle but he has grown into it and got better.
    "Now I think most people think if there was a World Cup this year, Leighton Baines would be a certainty to go.
    "Ossie has played really well and nearly carried us, certainly in the creativity department.
    "He has got a couple of important goals for us and probably relished that, with Mikel, Tim and Felli [Marouane Fellaini] being out of the team and the loss of Steven Pienaar.
    "A lot of the focus has gone onto Ossie and to be fair to him he has taken the mantle and done it really well."

Uploads

David Sullivan - fears some Hammers will leave.
    DAVID SULLIVAN FEARS HAMMERS EXITS

Co-owner David Sullivan has questioned the commitment of some West Ham players as the Hammers battle to avoid relegation.
    The club currently sit bottom of the Premier League with four games left to play - and Sullivan conceded they had a "25% chance" of staying up.
    He told the Daily Telegraph: "I'm sure a few of the players are already looking at where they will be next season - their contracts are up, they'll be off.
    "It means Avram Grant might have a hard decision to make if we go into the last game of the season needing a win to stay up - do you trust the fate of the club to them or do you make the decision that you will not play those players?"
    West Ham face a tough trip to Manchester City on Sunday and Sullivan added: "We are facing the reality that 70-75% we are likely to be in the Championship next year but there is still a 25-30% chance we won't be.
    "We didn't come here to be relegated. We have fantastic supporters and I feel myself and (co-owner) David Gold have let them down."

Uploads

Callum McManaman - new deal.
    McMANAMAN EXTENDS WIGAN STAY

Wigan youngster Callum McManaman has signed a new two-year contract at the DW Stadium.
    The 20-year-old striker is regarded as one of the club's best youth prospects having broken into Roberto Martinez's side this season.
    A head injury suffered in January has so far limited him to just eight senior appearances, but Wigan were keen to tie the player to a new deal.
    McManaman, a distant relative of former Liverpool, Real Madrid and England midfielder Steve McManaman, is now committed to the Latics until 2013.
    Martinez said: "Callum has continued to progress this season and we are delighted he has now signed this new contract.
    "Callum represents a real example for every youngster at our football club.
    "Technically, he's a very gifted player with a natural raw talent and over the last 10 months he's developed immensely, tactically and physically."
    McManaman is the first homegrown Wigan player to come through the ranks and play League football since England defender Leighton Baines, who joined Everton for 6million four years ago.
    McManaman, who was at Everton as a schoolboy, joined Wigan as an apprentice in 2007 and was offered professional terms two years later.

Uploads

Hleb - on loan at Birmingham.
    HLEB EYEING BUNDESLIGA RETURN

Aleksandr Hleb has announced his desire to return to Germany's Bundesliga at the end of the season.
    The Belarus international made his name at Stuttgart before earning a move to Arsenal in 2005.
    The 29-year-old then left for Barcelona in 2008 but the Spanish giants let him go on season-long loan deals to Stuttgart last season and Birmingham this term.
    The midfielder still has another year left on his contract at the Nou Camp but would consider going back to Germany in the summer - either on loan again or on a permanent deal.
    "I would love to be rejoining a club in the Bundesliga," he told BILD.
    "The league has been making a huge progress. Schalke is a great example of that - progressing to the semi-finals of the Champions League.
    "If my heart could decide, I would be moving back to Stuttgart.
    "However, I am unable to decide this as I am under contract with Birmingham City and have a deal left at Barcelona until June 2012."

Uploads

John Sutton - linked with Celtic move.
    LENNON PLAYS DOWN SUTTON LINK

Neil Lennon claims a report linking him to Motherwell striker John Sutton was "speculation".
    The Celtic boss was reported to be considering a summer move for the brother of Chris Sutton who played alongside Lennon at Parkhead.
    Sutton, 27, whose contract at Fir Park is up next month, is top scorer for Stuart McCall's side who have a Scottish Cup final date with Celtic at Hampden on May 21, the week after the two clubs meet in the final Clydesdale Bank Premier League game of the season.
    However, ahead of Sunday's SPL clash with Dundee United at Parkhead, Lennon said: "John is a good player. I've known him for a while.
    "He has had a very good season but it is speculation more than anything else.
    "I am not going to talk about targets at the minute.
    "I'm just going to talk about what I have to do in the next two weeks."
    McCall expects Sutton to wait until after the Scottish Cup final against Celtic before deciding his future.
    Motherwell have offered Sutton the best contract they can give him and McCall is continuing his attempts to persuade the 27-year-old to extend his stay at Fir Park.
    McCall, who played for four clubs during a 22-year career, said: "I've got a good relationship with big John Sutton and his agent but I would imagine nothing will be done there either way before the cup final.
    "Naturally they will want to take all the offers and options that they're going to have.
    "But I sat down with John and had a good chat. I know he is enjoying his football here and I only give him my experience.
    "At every club I've been at, I always had opportunities to move on but thankfully I made the right decisions and in the main stayed where I was. There is a lot to be said for job satisfaction.
    "Obviously if the financial aspects heavily outweigh it, then you've got to look after your family."
    Sutton took his season's tally to 17, despite having played much of the first half of the season out wide, when he scored twice as Motherwell came from three goals down to draw at Tynecastle last week.
    McCall, whose side host Rangers on Saturday, said: "John has been in terrific form and his stock is rising even higher.
    "If he bangs a hat-trick on Saturday it won't just be the clubs around here who are looking at him, it will be Barcelona and Real Madrid. Did I really say that?"

Uploads

John Sutton - linked with Celtic.
    McCALL EXPECTS SUTTON WAIT

Motherwell manager Stuart McCall expects striker John Sutton to wait until after the Scottish Cup final against Celtic before deciding his future.
    Motherwell have offered Sutton the best contract they can give him and McCall is continuing his attempts to persuade the 27-year-old to extend his stay at Fir Park.
    But the forward is attracting interest from elsewhere, with Celtic reportedly joining Hearts in considering a summer move for the free agent.
    McCall, who played for four clubs during a 22-year career, said: "I've got a good relationship with big John Sutton and his agent but I would imagine nothing will be done there either way before the cup final.
    "Naturally they will want to take all the offers and options that they're going to have.
    "But I sat down with John and had a good chat. I know he is enjoying his football here and I only give him my experience.
    "At every club I've been at, I always had opportunities to move on but thankfully I made the right decisions and in the main stayed where I was. There is a lot to be said for job satisfaction.
    "Obviously if the financial aspects heavily outweigh it, then you've got to look after your family."
    Sutton took his season's tally to 17, despite having played much of the first half of the season out wide, when he scored twice as Motherwell came from three goals down to draw at Tynecastle last week.
    McCall, whose side host Clydesdale Bank Premier League leaders Rangers on Saturday, said: "John has been in terrific form and his stock is rising even higher.
    "If he bangs a hat-trick on Saturday it won't just be the clubs around here who are looking at him, it will be Barcelona and Real Madrid. Did I really say that?"

Uploads

Michael Bridges - 'difficult decision'.
    BRIDGES HANGS UP HIS BOOTS

Former Sunderland and Leeds striker Michael Bridges has announced his retirement from professional football with immediate effect.
    The 32-year-old striker made more than 200 appearances in the Premier League during spells with the Black Cats, Leeds and Newcastle, on loan.
    Bridges moved to the Newcastle Jets in 2009 and scored six goals in 15 appearances during his first season in Australia.
    He became the club's first overseas-born captain at the start of the 2010-11 campaign, but has since been hampered by a knee injury.
    Bridges will stay on with the A-League side as their international football and business development manager.
    "After great consideration it was a difficult decision to make," the former England Under-21 international said.
    "However the opportunity to enter the next phase of my life is one that is too exciting not to take now whilst it is being offered."
    North Shields-born Bridges is considered one of the of the Premier League's great unfulfilled talents, as injury prevented him reaching his best.
    Having made a multi-million pound move from Sunderland to Leeds in 1999, Bridges scored 19 goals for United in his first season.
    However, a serious Achilles injury the following year seriously hampered his ability and he failed to score again for Leeds in four more seasons before leaving.
    As well as Newcastle, he also had spells in the UK at Bolton, Carlisle, Hull and MK Dons.