Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 30-04-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 30-04-11

Latest Transfer Update at 30-04-11

Ronaldo - set to miss out on big titles again.

Sir Alex Ferguson has virtually ruled out any chance of Cristiano Ronaldo returning to Manchester United.
    Ronaldo left Old Trafford for a world record 80million in 2009 to pursue his long-held dream of playing for Real Madrid.
    However, life in Spain so far has not turned out as Ronaldo would have hoped.
    For the second season running Real are destined to finish runners-up to Barcelona in La Liga whilst Wednesday's controversial 2-0 defeat to their fiercest rivals at the Bernabeu means, almost certainly, it will be the Catalans who make it through to next month's Champions League final at Wembley.
    As United have coped with Ronaldo's departure rather better and are well placed to regain the Premier League, in addition to facing Barcelona on May 28, there has been some talk the former world player of the year would be interested in a return to Old Trafford.
    But Ferguson, who was in Madrid to watch Wednesday's stormy confrontation, does not see how that could happen.
    "It would be very difficult," said Ferguson, when asked whether Ronaldo could come back.
    "He had a great time here but he is at a great club now too."
    Few connected with United have anything but good words to say about Ronaldo, who scored 118 goals in 292 appearances for the Red Devils, helping them to three championships on the trot and the 2008 Champions League.
    Ferguson continues to think of him as the best player in the world, despite the competing claims of Lionel Messi, and wasted little time seeking Ronaldo out on Wednesday to commiserate at Real's demise.
    "I spoke to him after the game," said the United chief.
    "He had a great time here, we got six years out of him. We got him as a kid and he went to Madrid a man.
    "He is enjoying being there and though he might not have been at his best on Wednesday, he is still a great player."
    In fact, it could be argued Real's over-reliance on Ronaldo is one of their weaknesses.
    As a team, they are clearly inferior to Barcelona and Ferguson accepts the only way to get the best from each individual is through the unit as a whole.
    "Teams always win the big competitions," he said.
    "Individuals can make a difference, as Ronaldo did many times for us, but if you look at the work-rate of our team collectively on Tuesday night that is what we try to aim for.
    "If we achieve anything it will be the collective that does it."
    United also try and aim for the entertaining brand of football they produced against Schalke on Tuesday, for which Barcelona are also noted.
    However, no-one aspires to the kind of spectacle Barca were part of on Wednesday.
    Aside from Messi's brilliant second goal, the game will be remembered for its spiteful edge, persistent play-acting and Jose Mourinho's outrageous comments at the end.
    Ferguson is wisely staying out of the argument, although it did cross his mind on the night how little football was actually being played.
    "This is not the time to discuss it because there is so much in the post-match analysis, with the recriminations on both sides," he said.
    "We should let the dust settle and concentrate on reaching the final.
    "The only thing I would say is that there could have been only one hour's play because the game stopped so much.
    "You want to go to a game and see an hour and a half."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 30-04-11

Redknapp - striker hunt.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp plans to scour the globe this summer looking for a new striker after admitting his frontmen have let him down this season.
    Spurs may have enjoyed dismantling the likes of Inter Milan and AC Milan in the Champions League this year, but the dream of taking on Europe's best again next year is fading thanks to a recent poor run of form.
    Defeat at Chelsea on Saturday and a victory for Manchester City over West Ham will leave the club seven points off fourth with four matches remaining.
    The prolific form of Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch and Roman Pavlyuchenko was key to the Londoners' success in beating City to fourth last year, but they have floundered in front of goal this term.
    The trio chalked up 31 league strikes last year, but have managed just 15 between them this season, with Gareth Bale and Rafael van der Vaart being the main source of goals this time around.
    Redknapp's squad scored 67 league goals last year, but have managed just 49 this term - only six more than Manchester United have bagged at Old Trafford alone.
    The Spurs boss concedes that is not good enough and will be looking to bring in a striker this summer as a result.
    "It's been one of those years," Redknapp said. "Normally Defoe would have had 18 goals by now. He hasn't got them this year, Crouchy hasn't scored many, he's scored his goals in Europe. We're still in it without the frontmen having scored the goals they should have done."
    Redknapp sought to remedy his side's goalscoring problems with club-record bids for Diego Forlan, Giuseppe Rossi and Sergio Aguero in January but none of the trio arrived, thanks mainly due to their wage demands.
    Redknapp admits that hurdle could be hard to overcome once the transfer window opens, but he is still committed to signing a proven striker who can guarantee him 15-20 goals a season.
    "I'd like to get another front man if I can," Redknapp said.
    "They're difficult to find though. We went for Rossi last year and he was suddenly 35million.
    "We're looking for strikers, not 35million ones, they're hard to find because everyone's looking for them.
    "It would be up to the chairman (in terms of the cost). But we've been chasing all around the world, looking for people. They all cost big money."
    Forlan recently suggested he would be ready to quit Atletico Madrid but Redknapp said there is little chance of the club going back for the former Manchester United marksman.
    "We can't afford him. He's on about 120k a week or something," Redknapp said.
    "If you work it out on a two or three-year contract, you're talking about 28million and there's no return on your money."
    Redknapp hopes to partly fund a move for a striker by getting rid of the deadwood in his squad.
    Jamie O'Hara, Robbie Keane, David Bentley and Giovani dos Santos are all out on loan and the Spurs boss believes a smaller squad will make his team better-equipped for a serious tilt at the top four.
    Serious repercussions could follow if Spurs finish fifth. They will experience a drop in revenue, and attracting the continent's biggest names will prove harder.
    Redknapp admits he will have to reluctantly accept playing in the Europa League if they fail to make fourth.
    "We've got to try to finish fifth if we don't finish fourth," Redknapp said.
    "The Europa League is one of those competitions that teams get in and they try and get out of.
    "The English teams all seem to play the reserve teams in it.
    "I remember going to West Ham a few years ago and watching Palermo play and they were fantastic. They beat West Ham that night and I came back and told a few friends 'They'll win this competition'.
    "They played at home the following week and made 11 changes and they got beat at home, that's how the competition seems to be.
    "It's a million miles away from the Champions League."
    Redknapp will be without Tom Huddlestone at Stamford Bridge after the ankle injury that ruled him out for five months earlier this season flared up again.

Malouda - happy at Chelsea.

Chelsea forward Florent Malouda wants to extend his stay with the club and hopes Carlo Ancelotti will remain as coach.
    Despite having a contract with the reigning champions until 2013, the 30-year-old hopes to add an extra year to that deal.
    He also wants Ancelotti, who it has been rumoured could lose his job as the Blues face up to a trophyless season, to stay at Stamford Bridge with him.
    "I just want to feel I am important at the club," he told the Daily Telegraph. "Sometimes I don't feel so when I see in the media that the club are thinking of selling me, and I know I'm doing great.
    "I want to be the Ryan Giggs of Chelsea! I want to extend my contract by one year until 2014. The club have been saying that because I am over 30, I have to wait until the last year of my contract to speak about an extension. Questions come into my mind. Do the club want me to stay?
    "I am waiting for a signal from the club. I am much appreciated by the coach. But I need support from the club as well."
    Ancelotti's position has come under scrutiny owing to another Champions League failure and the likelihood that Manchester United will take back their domestic crown.
    Malouda, though, does not feel that should affect Ancelotti's position, believing European glory is still achievable under him.
    "It's unfair," he added. "He's one of the greatest managers. He's good tactically. He's brought stability to the club, won the double at the first attempt.
    "Because we are now out of three competitions and six points behind United, people outside are saying Chelsea should change everything. But all the big clubs have stability.
    "Everybody seems to want to put pressure on Ancelotti but he's really cool. He knows the squad support him. That's the most important thing for him.
    "I want Ancelotti to stay. Players come and go but the manager is the key. We can win the Champions League under him one day."

Hooiveld - happy in Denmark.

FC Copenhagen are mulling over whether to sign Celtic defender Jos Hooiveld on a permanent deal.
    The 28-year-old Dutchman joined Copenhagen in January on a loan deal that runs until the summer.
    There was a clause in the contract allowing the Danish champions to sign Hooiveld for a fixed sum should they wish to make the move permanent.
    Copenhagen may lose their full-backs in the summer and Hooiveld's agent, Alex Kroes, has confirmed that Copenhagen are weighing up their defensive options before making a final decision.
    "I think that FCK will wait until the league has ended because they have loads of time," he told
    "It is up to them because Jos is happy to be at the club. He wants to stay.
    "But I can understand that they chose to wait as long as possible."
    Hooiveld made a 1.4million move from Swedish side AIK to Celtic in January 2010 but made just nine appearances for the Scottish giants before being loaned out to Copenhagen.

Bullard: Has impressed under former Wigan boss Paul Jewell

Jimmy Bullard believes his loan move to Ipswich has been the best of his career and he still hopes to secure a permanent switch.
    The 32-year-old midfielder has hit five league goals in 15 Championship appearances for the Tractor Boys since his loan switch from Hull in January.
    "I've really enjoyed it here," he told the club's official website. "As I've said before, as soon as I walked into the dressing room I knew it was the right decision.
    "You are never sure about things when you join a new club but it felt right. I have never been on loan before, even at 32, but coming here has been the best thing I have done in my whole career.
    "I have scored some goals, helped win a few games, made some new mates and played for a great football club - and this is a great football club.
    "The fans have been brilliant to me as well. I'm not sure where I'll be next year but, put it this way though, I wouldn't be disappointed if it was here."
    Meanwhile, teenage duo Luke Hyam and Ronan Murray have both signed one-year contracts at Portman Road.
    Hyam, 19, is setting his sights on the first team for next season while Murray, also 19 and on-loan at Torquay, expects to do likewise.
    "I am obviously delighted to have been handed a new contract and now I've got to get my head down and try and impress the manager," said Hyam.
    Murray added: "It's a big year for me next season. I really enjoyed my time at Torquay but I'm an Ipswich Town player and want to play games here."

Jamie Langfield - offered new deal.

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown hopes Jamie Langfield will remain at Pittodrie after offering the goalkeeper a new contract.
    The 31-year-old's current deal expires in the summer and he has been offered an extension like Chris Maguire and Sone Aluko.
    Speaking ahead of Aberdeen's Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Inverness, Brown said: "I'd be disappointed if he didn't accept.
    "He's based here, he's happy here and his offer I think would be very acceptable."
    Brown this week continued making changes to the Dons squad, with seven players set to depart, unless agreement can be reached with Norwich to allow Steven Smith to stay at Pittodrie.
    Brown has assessed areas of the team in need of reinforcements.
    He added: "We need a goalkeeper to be back up for Jamie Langfield, we need a central defender and a midfield player - these are the urgent requirements.
    "Obviously, When good players in other positions become available we'll be interested in them."
    Brown expects Zander Diamond to depart, describing a move as "almost certain", but knows the defender will continue to give his all to the Aberdeen cause in the remaining four games of the season.
    And Brown dismissed suggestions the contest with Caley Thistle is meaningless.
    He added: "If you're Zander Diamond and you're out of contract, you want to get the best deal possible from the club that's interested in you - we're assuming it's Hearts - he'll want to play well.
    "A guy like Derek (Young) will want to play well to put him in the shop window.
    "That's one of the reasons why we told them early. In fairness to the players give them early warning so their agent can say 'go see them playing'.
    "I think we've been fair to our guys."
    Midfielder Young has been told his services are no longer required after almost 250 appearances in two spells with the Dons.
    Brown said it was a difficult decision.
    He added: "I have the highest regard for Derek Young.
    "There were other guys, had everything been equal, we might've wanted to released before Derek but they're not going to go.
    "You can only release players who are out of contract.
    "It was unlucky the timing of his contract and therefore I feel a bit of sympathy towards Derek."
    Brown has admitted feeling concerned for Paul Hartley, who is currently out with a knee problem and has hinted he may consider retirement.
    "He's honouring his contract," Brown said of Hartley, who is under contract for next season.
    "He's despondent because he's not been playing in the last 14 games.
    "I feel sorry for him."
    Hartley is one of six confirmed absentees for Saturday's match, with a late decision to be made on Andrew Considine after the defender picked up a knee injury in training.
    Aberdeen drew 1-1 with Hamilton on Monday and are without an SPL win in nine attempts, their most recent victory coming in the February 22 defeat of Accies.
    Caley Thistle, meanwhile, beat St Johnstone 3-0 at McDiarmid Park on Monday night and enter the match four points clear at the top of the bottom half of the table.
    Brown added: "Terry (Butcher, the Inverness manager) says they want to finish best of the rest and they're more than capable of doing that.
    "We would have to win every game and hope they lose a couple of games if we're going to finish the best of the rest.
    "But they're in a stronger position to do that at the moment and are the strongest team in the lower half of the split."