Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 01-05-11

Leighton Baines - Liverpool warned off.
    EVERTON WARN LIVERPOOL OFF BAINES

Everton boss David Moyes has told Merseyside rivals Liverpool that they have no chance of taking Leighton Baines across Stanley Park this summer.
    The 10million full-back has been linked with the likes of Manchester City and Bayern Munich following his emergence as one of the best players in his role in Europe.
    Liverpool, who have signed Nick Barmby and Abel Xavier from Everton this Millennium, have also been linked with Baines as they bid to fill a problem position at left-back.
    But ahead of Saturday's game at the 26-year-old England international's former club, Wigan, Moyes has warned Liverpool that he has no plans to sell one of his star assets.
    The Everton boss said in the Liverpool Echo: "I can't see it. It's not for me that one and I think Liverpool know that as well.
    "Nobody will leave the club unless I give it the go-ahead and that won't change.
    "We have signed Leighton on a five-year deal. I don't want to sell him and Everton don't sell cheap.
    "The chairman looks after the players and gives them what he can. So Leighton's not for sale - and they know that as well."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-05-11

David de Gea - offered new deal.
    ATLETICO OFFER DE GEA NEW CONTRACT

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has confirmed the club have offered Manchester United goalkeeping target David de Gea a new deal.
    United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is believed to have lined up a move for De Gea as he seeks a replacement for veteran Edwin van der Sar, who is retiring at the end of the season.
    Atletico have continually played down suggestions that a deal has been agreed with United and now they have offered the keeper a new improved contract to try and keep him at Vicente Calderon.
    "De Gea is a magnificent player in the squad and has two years left on his contract. We [have] made a renewal offer," Cerezo told Europa Press.
    "But it does not depend on us. We will speak to him at the end of term and see what happens."

Uploads

Mark Hughes - ready for Fulham contract talks.
    MARK HUGHES WANTS NEW FULHAM DEAL

Mark Hughes is ready to open negotiations with Fulham over an extension to his contract.
    The Welshman signed a two-year deal last summer and, with the Cottagers on course for a top-ten finish, Hughes believes he merits a long-term deal.
    Hughes admits he had already held preliminary talks with the board and he expects further discussions to lead him towards putting pen to paper.
    "I'm hoping to sit down with the club and talk about it," Hughes told The Mirror.
    "I have 12 months left and we've had initial discussions, but nothing in terms of really extending the contract.
    "Obviously I'm open to conversations in that respect, because I like this club. I think it's a well-run club with good people and we can be successful."
    After a difficult first half to the season, Hughes has steadied the ship at Fulham, who are unbeaten in their last eight home games.
    The former Manchester City boss admits he is happy with his current squad, but he expects to freshen up his squad in the summer nonetheless.
    "What we've done since Christmas gives you encouragement for next year," he said.
    "We have good-quality players here and, like most clubs, we'll try to add to that quality in the summer.
    "If we can, I feel confident the next few years will be very successful."

Uploads

Nolan and Carroll during their time as team-mates.
    NOLAN: CARROLL SALE WAS RIGHT

Newcastle captain Kevin Nolan believes the club were right to sell Andy Carroll to Liverpool.
    The England striker left St James' Park for Anfield for 35million on transfer deadline day during the January transfer window.
    The Magpies could come up against their former striker on Sunday when Alan Pardew's side travel to Merseyside.
    Nolan believes Newcastle are better off without Carroll, who is battling to shake off a knee injury to face his old club on Sunday, as the funds from his sale will allow the club to strengthen the squad in the summer.
    "It was best for the club," Nolan said on Carroll's departure on January. "It's worked out for us better that Andy's gone although we'd love to have him still here.
    "If he was, we'd probably have a few more points on the board and would be able to build a team around him which was going to be great.
    "But 35m? Come on. It's an astronomical sum. The club would have taken 10m last season and 4m when we were relegated.
    "It shows what he's done in a short space of time and how big he was for us.
    "But now he's got a new chapter in his life and we've got a lot of money to spend. If we can get four or five players in for that, it works the best way you can possibly think of.
    "We're in such a fantastic position at this moment so let's just see what happens."
    Newcastle were tipped to struggle without their star striker, but Nolan believes they have shown they can cope without the England international.
    "Everyone's seen we're not just a one man band," added Nolan.
    "We've got a core of a team that has played the majority of the season
    "Although we've had a few hitches and glitches, we've done really well."

Uploads

Kayal - hot property.
    CELTIC LOOK TO REWARD DUO

Celtic are ready to offer new deals to star duo Beram Kayal and Emilio Izaguirre to ward off interest from Barclays Premier League suitors.
    A number of clubs in England are thought to be looking at full-back Izaguirre and midfielder Kayal following their impressive debut campaigns at Parkhead.
    Celtic boss Neil Lennon is determined to keep the pair and he believes the Honduran and Israeli deserve new improved contracts.
    "We don't have to sell but we'll talk with these players at the end of the season and maybe make them improved offers," Lennon told the Daily Record.
    "Otherwise it would be hard for us to keep them if a big bid came in.
    "We've not had anything concrete but it doesn't surprise me if there is interest because they are fabulous players and I'd be reluctant to sell them."
    Asked if he was worried about losing Izaguirre and Kayal, Lennon added: "Of course but we just have to wait and see at the moment, it's all speculation.
    "I think Izaguirre has been immense. I have really enjoyed watching him play, he's a really good boy, loves his football, loves his family. He's been a breath of fresh air."