Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-05-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 03-05-11

Clarence Seedorf - future uncertain.

Veteran Clarence Seedorf has revealed that AC Milan have yet to offer him a contract extension to remain at the San Siro.
    The 35-year-old Dutch midfielder will become a free agent this summer.
    "My future is uncertain," Seedorf said. "The club has not made me an offer.
    "It's still early to say whether I will stay or I will leave. You should ask (AC Milan vice-president Adriano) Galliani."
    Seedorf joined Milan from city rivals Inter in the summer of 2002 and has since made well over 200 appearances for the Rossoneri.
    "I have always given everything I had for the team," Seedorf said.
    "I am proud of being the foreigner that has made the most appearances for Milan."
    Seedorf has scored three goals in 27 league appearances for Milan this season.
    Sunday's 1-0 triumph over Bologna left Milan one step closer to their first scudetto since 2004, leaving them eight points clear of second-placed Inter with three games remaining.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-05-11

Wenger - backed by Szczesny.

Wojciech Szczesny maintains it is "ridiculous" to suggest Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has run out of ideas and should be replaced - hailing him as "the best manager in the world".
    The Gunners may have beaten Barclays Premier League leaders Manchester United 1-0 at Emirates Stadium on Sunday, but their hopes of a first trophy since 2005 have long gone.
    Some critics and supporters alike have questioned whether Wenger, who transformed the Gunners since taking charge in September 1996, remains the right man for the job as Arsenal look to keep up with their big-spending rivals.
    However, 21-year-old goalkeeper Szczesny - one of the youngsters relishing in the chance handed by Wenger this season - insists Arsenal's future is very much in the right hands.
    "It is ridiculous. If you ask any of the players, they will stand by the manager," the young Pole declared.
    "He built this thing from nothing and I believe he is the best manager in the world.
    "He puts his reputation on the line with young players."
    Wenger's continued faith in youth failed to deliver once again in 2011 as his side suffered a shock Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham at Wembley, which was followed by swift exits from the Champions League in Barcelona and FA Cup at Old Trafford before a costly run of draws then defeat at Bolton put pay to any title hopes.
    It was a mix-up between Szczesny and defender Laurent Koscielny, the 25-year-old summer recruit from Lorient, which gifted Birmingham striker Obafemi Martins a dramatic late winner at Wembley - a moment from which Wenger believes his squad never really recovered.
    Szczesny believes such deep frustrations can only make the squad stronger.
    "We all take individual responsibility for our mistakes, and everyone has played their part in this season's disappointments," he said.
    "We just have to take it as a team. You can't blame the boss. He stood by the team all season."
    Szczesny added: "There is a lot of frustration, to see other teams fighting for the title.
    "We have really worked hard the whole year, have done our best every day in training and we have given 110% in the games.
    "It is frustrating not to be in the side that wins the championship, but we have shown we have the quality.
    "It is just a matter of whether we can step up next season.
    "We believe we are good enough, that we have a lot of years in front of us and a lot of trophies to win - so let's be patient and show next year that we are good enough to win it."

Conway - set to leave in the summer.

Dundee United boss Peter Houston has confirmed midfield trio Craig Conway, Morgaro Gomis and Prince Buaben are set to leave this summer.
    All three players are out of contract at Tannadice and United admit they are not in a position to keep them.
    Houston, though, insists he is not angry about their potential exits as they have all given good services to the club.
    Winger Conway joined from Ayr in 2009, Gomis was snapped up from Cowdenbeath in 2007 while Buaben signed from Ajax, also in 2007.
    "We know that they're leaving here," said Houston.
    "They've indicated from early on they want to move on and try something different.
    "Those three guys have done Dundee United good service and, if they go and earn three or four times as much money, good luck to them.
    "They go with my best wishes because they've done me a turn."
    Conway has been strongly linked with a summer switch to Rangers, while Gomis and Bauben could be heading to England - despite interest from other SPL clubs.
    Conway insists he has not agreed a deal yet to move on.
    "I can tell you that a deal definitely has not happened. I'm still playing here and I've not signed anywhere else yet," he said.
    "It's maybe just papers speculating and I can understand that because I haven't signed a new deal here but I can honestly say I have not signed a deal anywhere else.
    "Every player has got to look at their career. It is a short career and I want to play at the highest level I possibly can. It's the same for any player here with any sort of ambition but we will need to see what happens. I haven't spoken to anybody yet.
    "Everybody else has been talking about it more than me."
    Gomis confirmed he would be leaving the club.
    "I'm going to leave at the end of the season, but I've put that to the back of my mind at the moment," he said.
    "I'm focused on helping the team get as many points as we can. I will be sad to leave. Coming to United from Cowdenbeath was the best thing that has happened to my career.
    "I just think it's time to try something new. In football, players move on and teams have to get new players to evolve."

Scott Parker - FWA Player of the Year.

West Ham legend Julian Dicks insists the club should not be forced into allowing Scott Parker to leave on the cheap if they are relegated from the Barclays Premier League.
    His team may have been struggling to battle relegation all season, but Parker has enjoyed the most successful year of his career.
    The midfielder's outstanding performances at the heart of the team have earned him a regular place in the England squad and the player of the year award from the Football Writers' Association.
    He was the subject of a bid from Tottenham last summer and is expected to be offered several escape routes out of Upton Park if the Hammers are relegated to the npower Championship.
    Co-owners David Sullivan and David Gold admit relegation will hit the club hard in the pocket but that should not mean selling their most-prized asset cheaply, according to Dicks.
    "It's down to the club if they want to sell him or not," said the former West Ham skipper.
    "He's under contract. They can make him stay there so at the end of the day if they want 10million for him then they should hold out for 10million for him. If it happens it happens and if it doesn't then he stays at West Ham."
    Dicks, who played over 300 times for the club, blasted some members of the current squad yesterday for not showing the fight they need to get themselves out of the relegation zone.
    He insists that manager Avram Grant still has an outside chance of leading his men to safety, but has warned that they will probably have to win their remaining matches against Blackburn, Wigan and Sunderland to do it.
    "The next three games are very winnable, and for me they have to win them all," said Dicks, who now manages non-league side Grays Athletic.
    "I think they can do it. Sunderland are struggling, so are Blackburn, and so are Wigan, so if West Ham go out and be more positive and work harder then they have a great chance of staying up."

Tevez - linked with Inter Milan.

Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti insists his club have not held any talks about a possible move to sign Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez this summer.
    The Argentinian forward was reported to have met with Inter officials during a recent trip to Italy but Moratti claims there has been no contact between his club and the 27-year-old forward.
    When asked about Tevez's recent trip to Milan, Moratti said on the club's official website, "I saw that on TV but there is no connection at all with us."
    Tevez has three years remaining on his City contract but there is growing speculation he will leave this summer, having made a transfer request in December before later withdrawing it.

Kranjcar - a wanted man.

Niko Kranjcar's agent claims Lazio, Roma and Juventus are all interested in signing the Tottenham midfielder and expects his future to be decided within the next 10 days.
    Kranjcar was a regular member of Harry Redknapp's starting XI last year but he has fallen down the pecking order this term, largely due to the improvement of Gareth Bale and the signing of Steven Pienaar.
    The 26-year-old has only made 17 appearances for the Londoners this season, with his last start coming almost two months ago when he scored in Spurs' 2-1 win at Sunderland.
    The winger, who has two years left on his contract, voiced his concern at a lack of first-team football last month, and his agent, Adrian Aliaj, admits he is becoming disheartened with warming the bench at White Hart Lane.
    Kranjcar turned down the chance to move to Werder Bremen in January, but may be tempted to move to one of the Serie A giants interested in him this summer if Redknapp cannot give him assurances about his future.
    "Niko is not happy with the situation at Tottenham at the moment. He wants to play. It is a shame that a man of Niko's quality is on the bench," Aliaj said.
    "He is loyal to the club and has a contract but it is difficult for him.
    "It can be a problem when a player is not playing. When he is not playing he is not happy. He feels down.
    "Some clubs in Italy are interested him. Lazio, Roma, Juventus - they are all interested, as well as some teams in Spain and in Germany.
    "It's normal to have teams like these interested in a player with such quality.
    "Niko will meet with the manager in the next seven to 10 days to sort out his future. After this meeting, then we will know what is happening."

Foster - hailed 'fantastic spirit' at Birmingham.

Goalkeeper Ben Foster has pledged his future to Birmingham as he approaches the end of his first season at St Andrew's.
    There has been speculation Foster could emerge as a target for some of the leading clubs after an excellent campaign following his 6 million switch from Manchester United.
    He has helped Blues to Carling Cup glory and the verge of securing Barclays Premier League football for a third successive campaign.
    In addition, Foster has regained his place in the England squad.
    But Foster, whose rare blunder cost his side a goal in the 1-1 home draw with Wolves yesterday, is adamant he is happy with life at City.
    He said: "I was at Watford on loan for two years and this is up there with that.
    "I've loved every minute of this season. The dressing room we've got here and the spirit is fantastic.
    "I wouldn't want to leave that to be honest with you. I'm back home in the area where I was born.
    "I saw (West Brom striker) Peter Odemwingie being interviewed yesterday and he said a happy man at home is a happy man on the pitch.
    "I totally agree with it."
    Foster added: "It is nice to be linked (with other clubs) but it is always the way.
    "You see Heurelho Gomes at Spurs make a mistake on Saturday and Tottenham are going to be linked with 10 keepers today.
    "That's the way it is, but I'm happy here."
    Birmingham will be without leading scorer Craig Gardner for the next two games after he was sent off - his second dismissal of the season - for two bookable offences against Mick McCarthy's side.
    Referee Kevin Friend handed out the second yellow card after deeming Gardner had dived and the midfielder has apologised to his team-mates and Blues manager Alex McLeish.
    But Foster has some sympathy for the former Aston Villa player.
    He said: "I do feel sorry for Craig. There were a few things from their side they didn't even get a yellow card where they could have been yellow cards.
    "Craig is not a dirty player, a diver, or a cheat or anything like that. If he's gone over, it's not because he is trying to win a free-kick.
    "He was probably just off balance. That's the way he is. It's not like he was looking for a free-kick or a yellow card for the lad (Jody Craddock).
    "He will miss two games and it is not great timing for us at a critical part of the season.
    "But you've got to move with things like that. It is just the way it is and the gaffer will pick his team accordingly next week."
    McCarthy is hoping only the ninth away point Wolves have secured this season can act as a launchpad for the finale of the campaign.
    He said: "It's another point away from home that we'd have all taken before setting off down the road to St Andrew's.
    "It's never been an easy place to come and play and we've hardly been playing free-flowing football and been brilliant over the last four games.
    "Maybe this has stopped the rot because it was a performance full of energy and hard work.
    "Of course, it's a nervy time. We are in the bottom three.
    "But we've got to make use of this point by winning our two remaining home games.
    "It's still the same scenario in the table and who's going to say what number of points it's going to take to stop up. Nobody knows.
    "If we stay up, we will look back on all the points as points gained and well-earned."

Javier Pastore - Palermo's star player.

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini has denied reports that they have received an offer for their star playmaker Javier Pastore from Juventus.
    Pastore has been heavily linked by the Italian media with a move to the Turin giants in the summer.
    The Argentina international is coveted by many of Europe's leading clubs.
    "We have not been contacted by Juventus and I really don't think he enters into the Bianconeri's budget," Zamparini told GR Parlamento.
    "I have been approached by other clubs, such as Real Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona and Manchester City but the player has said he doesn't want to move and will remain at Palermo, unless he changes his mind."
    When asked how much it would take to prise Pastore away from Sicily, Zamparini said: "Upwards of 50 million euros."
    Pastore joined Palermo in 2009 from Huracan and is the team's leading scorer with 11 league goals so far this season.
    The 21-year-old is under contract with the Serie A club until June 2014.

Sir Alex Ferguson gives his thoughts to the press.

Sir Alex Ferguson has urged Edwin van der Sar to ignore the dressing-room pleas for him to extend his career by another season and quit whilst he is still on top of his game.
    The 40-year-old Dutchman announced his intention to retire earlier this year.
    Since then, he has maintained an impressively high standard, leading to calls from Wayne Rooney and Rio Ferdinand amongst others to abandon his plans.
    However, Ferguson is fearful that Van der Sar's standards may start to slip rapidly and without warning.
    And the Manchester United boss is too much of a fan to want that to happen.
    "If I was giving advice to Edwin van der Sar, right now, I would say retire," said Ferguson.
    "He is at the absolute pinnacle of his career but sometimes, when a player gets to that age, age comes onto you very suddenly.
    "I wouldn't want to see Edwin van der Sar in that situation. He deserves to go out at the very top and hopefully he does that."
    Van der Sar is aiming to land the third Champions League triumph of his career, in addition to his fourth Premier League title since moving north from Fulham in 2005.
    "His career has been absolutely fantastic," said Ferguson.
    "It is not just what he does on the football field. It is how he has handles himself as a professional and a human being.
    "He is absolutely outstanding. In our dressing room at half-time and before games, he is absolutely fantastic.
    "My advice to him is that this is the time.
    "There is no reason for him to risk another year and maybe drop below his standard."

Izaguirre - Lennon praise.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has emphatically shot down suggestions the impressive form of Emilio Izaguirre could make it difficult to hold onto him this summer.
    Manchester United and Liverpool have been linked with the Honduras left-back during his first season at Celtic Park.
    More attention came the 24-year-old's way on Sunday when he was presented with the PFA Scotland Player of the Year award.
    Lennon's assistant, Johan Mjallby, later tipped Izaguirre to become one of the world's best left-backs and admitted he anticipated interest in the player.
    But Izaguirre, who joined Celtic for 600,000 from Motagua in his homeland, insisted on Monday that he wanted to stay at Celtic.
    And Lennon was in no mood to discuss the prospect of Izaguirre leaving during his media conference ahead of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League trip to Inverness, as he interrupted a question on potential interest in the player.
    "Listen, I know what you're going to ask me and you guys do it all the time," Lennon said.
    "As soon as we get a decent player in this club you want him out the door.
    "He wants to stay, we want him to stay. He is on a three-year contract so I don't even know why we're having this discussion.
    "We have had no bids from anyone, all of the speculation is coming from you lot, so just drop it."
    Lennon rebuilt his squad last summer following the 10million sale of Aiden McGeady to Spartak Moscow and is apparently under no pressure to make another major sale.
    "We did that with Aiden, we felt it was good business at the time," he said.
    "We had a decent offer, whether we get decent offers in for other players remains to be seen. We're trying to build a team, not dismantle it."
    Lennon was delighted for Izaguirre's "thoroughly deserved" accolade from his fellow players.
    "He has been fantastic from day one since his debut at Motherwell," the former Celtic captain said.
    "He has been a breath of fresh air, he has given us an extra dimension to our play.
    "He is a hungry boy, very grounded, a consummate professional.
    "He comes in every day with a smile on his face, and makes this place better.
    "He has unbelievable humility. He has come a long way from home with a very young family, he has great faith and lives his life properly, a very happy person in life and in work. You can see that in the way he plays.
    "He is a terrific defender, he makes it look easy, which it's not.
    "Then he has that will to get forward and gives us the width on the left-hand side, with no shortage of quality as well."
    Izaguirre, like the equally impressive Israel midfielder Beram Kayal, was largely unknown in Scotland before Celtic signed him last summer.
    And Lennon revealed the signing had come about because of hard work from scouting supremo John Park and his team.
    "His name had been flagged up in the recruitment office a couple of times," Lennon said.
    "John and his guys had done a project on the World Cup. He played well against Spain, against (Jesus) Navas.
    "The recruitment team did some groundwork on him after that. When we knew he could be available, we had other options in that area, but we felt he was the pick of the lot.
    "You don't know what the players are going to be like temperament-wise, attitude wise, so you need a bit of luck in that respect. It has turned out to be a great bit of business."
    Izaguirre was one of eight players who started Sunday's 4-1 win over Dundee United who Lennon had signed since taking over on a permanent basis in June last year.
    Scott Brown believes some hard work off the park has helped the integration of a team who will go top of the SPL if they avoid defeat in their game in hand at Inverness.
    "We have gelled really well together and had a lot of time to get to know each other, a few team nights out," Brown said.
    "All the boys are so much more comfortable with each other now."
    As captain, Brown has had much of responsibility for building the team spirit, but he added: "A few of the lads came and said it to me as well, it's not just me that does it.
    "Marc Crosas when he was here was a big organiser and (Glenn) Loovens and Mark Wilson have helped out too. We are great mates on the field and off the field as well."
    When asked how difficult it was to unify such a multi-national squad, Brown joked: "I speak all the languages, I'm brilliant at that. It's quite hard but hand signals do wonders, don't they?"
    Brown's jovial mood belied the perceived pressure Celtic are under to retain control over the destiny of the title.
    But Lennon stressed his players knew the scale of the task awaiting them against Terry Butcher's seventh-placed Caley Thistle.
    "They had a great run before Christmas where they were right in the top six for a long time," Lennon said.
    "As is the case with clubs with smaller squads, the season bites them a little bit. If they lose a couple of their bigger players they tend to miss that quality.
    "But Terry has done a fantastic job and the away record has been exemplary.
    "It's always a tough stadium for us to go to, we have messed up a couple of times there over the years. So we have to be at our best but the players know that.
    "I think they are pretty focused on what is ahead of them, a different type of football that we have to overcome."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast