Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 04-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 04-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 04-05-11

Maxi - 'really happy' at Anfield.
    MAXI WANTS LIVERPOOL STAY

Maxi Rodriguez does not want to leave Liverpool this summer after insisting he is happy in England.
    The Argentine, a January 2010 signing from Atletico Madrid, has become a key part of Kenny Dalglish's plans in the past month, despite suggestions he would be sold.
    Maxi has scored four goals in two games, including a hat-trick against Birmingham, and has helped Liverpool overtake Tottenham in fifth position.
    The prospect of European football next season, which had looked extremely unlikely, is now within reach and the 30-year-old hopes to still be at Anfield.
    "I am really happy here," said Maxi. "The people have treated us really well.
    "The type of life we have here, the way of life, is very different to what we were used to after nine years in Spain but I am enjoying everything.
    "How can you not enjoy it? I am at a great club and it is great to play here."
    Liverpool's owners, Fenway Sports Group, are expected to overhaul their squad in the summer and it has been reported that Maxi would be sold.
    But, with two years remaining on his contract, the wideman is focused on life at Anfield and hopes to help the club to European glory and a return to the Premier League's top four.
    "Obviously it is everyone's dream to play in the Champions League. Not just for the players, but for the club," said Maxi.
    "That is where Liverpool want to be and deserve to be. But at the moment that is maybe not realistic so getting in the Europa League is our target.
    "If we have to play in the Europa League, we will play in it and try to win it."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 04-05-11

Alberto Aquilani - has impressed for Juve.
    JUVE BAULK ON AQUILANI FEE

Juventus have warned Liverpool that they must lower their asking price for midfielder Alberto Aquilani.
    The Serie A club are keen to sign the 26-year-old midfielder, who was allowed to spend the entire season on loan at Juve after failing to make an impact at Anfield.
    Reports have suggested that Liverpool will demand 16m for Aquilani's services, but Juve sporting director Giuseppe Marotta insists his club are not willing to shell out the current fee.
    "There is a buy-out clause that has to be activated by 15 May," Marotta told Sky Sport Italia.
    "We'll try to reach an agreement before the deadline. I can certainly say we will not sign Aquilani for the sum set by Liverpool."
    Milan are also thought to be interested in Aquilani and may make an approach if Juventus are unable to thrash out a deal.

Uploads

Riise - Anfield return mooted.
    RIISE WON'T RULE OUT RETURN

Former Liverpool defender John Arne Riise has refused to rule out a return to Anfield.
    The Norwegian will enter the final year of his contract at Roma in June and the Italian club could listen to offers as a consequence.
    Reports have suggested Kenny Dalglish could look to sign Riise, who departed Liverpool when Rafa Benitez was manager in 2008.
    The position is a problem for the Merseysiders, with England right-back Glen Johnson currently acting as cover, and they have been linked with an audacious move for Everton's Leighton Baines.
    Champions League winner Riise, at 30, may seem a less likely candidate, but he said: "I am flattered by reports linking me with a return to England.
    "Liverpool are close to my heart. They are a great club and I have some good memories. I have a contract here until June 2012, so you never know."
    Marseille are also said to be tracking Riise, who played for Monaco before joining Liverpool in 2002, as a replacement for reported AC Milan target Taye Taiwo.
    Riise said: "I love France as well. I played in Monaco and also enjoyed my time there."

Uploads

Pardew - making moves to bolster squad.
    PARDEW: TRANSFER PROCESS HAS STARTED

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew insists the club have already 'started the process' in their search for new players.
    The Toon chief insists he will be given, as promised, the full 35million from the sale of Andy Carroll to Liverpool in January.
    Newcastle are being linked with a host of players, mainly in France with Cheikh M'Bengue, Franck Tabanou, Gervinho and Kevin Gameiro amongst a clutch of Ligue 1 stars said to be on Pardew's radar.
    And Pardew admits they are already pushing ahead with their plans and have made approaches.
    "We've made contact with a few clubs about their players, I think that's important," Pardew said.
    "There's a lot to be done but the process has started. Our chief scout Graham Carr and his team have been very much on the ball and understand exactly where the European market is and the targets we have."
    Pardew admits some of his shopping will be dependant on how talks go with his current players, with the likes of Joey Barton and Jose Enrique tipped for summer moves.
    "I haven't put a figure on how many players I want because it depends on the renegotiations of players we have," he continued.
    "Joey Barton, Enrique and Kevin Nolan all need contract deals sorted out - and there are others I won't mention that we still need to secure."

Uploads

Kyle Bartley - impressed at Rangers.
    RANGERS WANT BARTLEY BACK

Rangers are hopeful Arsenal will allow Kyle Bartley to return to Ibrox next season.
    The Gunners defender impressed the Gers management after joining on loan in January, but a knee ligament injury cut short his spell north of the border.
    And the Light Blues will approach Arsenal about the possibillity of bringing back Bartley after the summer.
    First-team coach Kenny McDowall told the Express: "Walter is going to contact Arsene Wenger and ask the question.
    "We'd love to have the big fella back as it's no secret he came up here, fitted in well and enjoyed himself. He's a top player."
    Bartley made nine appearances for Rangers and found the net in the away win over St Mirren.

Uploads

Kris Boyd - four goals in two games.
    DAVIES EYEING BOYD SWOOP

Nottingham Forest boss Billy Davies has hinted at a summer move for on-loan Kris Boyd.
    The Scotland international took his tally to four goals in two games - and six overall since arriving at the City Ground - when he struck twice in the 5-1 win over Scunthorpe United last week.
    But Davies is already envisaging a star role next season for a player who is among the high earners at Middlesbrough.
    Davies told the Nottingham Evening Gazette: "I don't think Kris will find his true sharpness until next season - but there is no doubt that he will score goals.
    "He scored goals for us again, against Scunthorpe. His fitness is still not where it could be.
    "But to get him to that, we would need to get him through a pre-season.
    "However, we also know that strikers are all about scoring goals and that is exactly what he is doing. Hopefully, that will continue."

Uploads

Delfouneso - returns to Villa Park.
    DELFOUNESO RETURNS TO VILLA

Burnley have confirmed Nathan Delfouneso has returned to Aston Villa after ending his loan stay at Turf Moor.
    The forward has been allowed to leave the Championship club ahead of schedule after their play-off hopes were ended by defeat at Leeds.
    Delfouneso, who has been named in England's provisional squad for this summer's Under-21 European Championship, scored just one goal in 11 appearances for Burnley.
    Manager Eddie Howe told the club's official website: "Burnley Football Club would like to thank Nathan for all his efforts during his time with us and we wish him well on his return to Villa Park."
    Delfouneso joined Burnley in March and his only goal came in the form of the winner at Hull on his debut.

Uploads

Calvin Andrew - returns to Selhurst Park.
    LOAN DUO BACK AT PALACE

Swindon's on-loan duo Calvin Andrew and Alassane N'Diaye have both returned to parent club Crystal Palace.
    The pair's departure from the County Ground comes with Town already relegated and guaranteed to finish bottom of npower League One table ahead of the final match of the season away to Tranmere on Saturday.
    Striker Andrew, who made nine starts and scored one goal, and midfielder N'Diaye, with six appearances to his name, both arrived from Selhurst Park in March but have been unable to prevent Swindon's downfall.

Uploads

Walter Mazzarri - linked with Juventus.
    MAZZARRI STAYING PUT - DE LAURENTIIS

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis insists coach Walter Mazzarri is staying with the club.
    Speculation has been rife in Italy that Mazzarri could replace Luigi Del Neri at Juventus next season.
    But De Laurentiis said: "Mazzarri has a contract with us and I have a contract with him.
    "I don't believe there is any friction between us. Nothing has changed with respect to the past."
    The 49-year-old has yet to confirm whether he intends to honour his contract with Napoli, which expires in June 2014.
    Mazzarri said: "I will not talk about my future until the end of the campaign.
    "The club knows that every year I like to sit down and reflect on what has been done and what needs to be done."
    The former Sampdoria boss joined Napoli in October 2009 following the dismissal of Roberto Donadoni.
    He led the club to a sixth-place finish in his first year in charge.
    The Partenopei have been one of the surprise packages in Italy's top flight this campaign and lie third in the standings, just one point behind second-placed Inter Milan, with three games remaining.

Uploads

Izaguirre - Lennon praise.
    LENNON DENIES IZAGUIRRE EXIT TALK

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has rubbished suggestions the impressive form of Emilio Izaguirre could make it difficult to hold onto him this summer.
    Manchester United and Liverpool have been linked with the Honduras left-back during his first season at Celtic Park.
    More attention came the 24-year-old's way on Sunday when he was presented with the PFA Scotland Player of the Year award.
    Lennon's assistant, Johan Mjallby, later tipped Izaguirre to become one of the world's best left-backs and admitted he anticipated interest in the player.
    But Izaguirre, who joined Celtic for 600,000 from Motagua in his homeland, insisted on Monday that he wanted to stay at Celtic.
    And Lennon was in no mood to discuss the prospect of Izaguirre leaving during his media conference ahead of the Clydesdale Bank Premier League trip to Inverness, as he interrupted a question on potential interest in the player.
    "Listen, I know what you're going to ask me and you guys do it all the time," Lennon said.
    "As soon as we get a decent player in this club you want him out the door.
    "He wants to stay, we want him to stay. He is on a three-year contract so I don't even know why we're having this discussion.
    "We have had no bids from anyone, all of the speculation is coming from you lot, so just drop it."
    Lennon rebuilt his squad last summer following the 10million sale of Aiden McGeady to Spartak Moscow and is apparently under no pressure to make another major sale.
    "We did that with Aiden, we felt it was good business at the time," he said.
    "We had a decent offer, whether we get decent offers in for other players remains to be seen. We're trying to build a team, not dismantle it."
    Lennon was delighted for Izaguirre's "thoroughly deserved" accolade from his fellow players.
    "He has been fantastic from day one since his debut at Motherwell," the former Celtic captain said.
    "He has been a breath of fresh air, he has given us an extra dimension to our play.
    "He is a hungry boy, very grounded, a consummate professional.
    "He comes in every day with a smile on his face, and makes this place better.
    "He has unbelievable humility. He has come a long way from home with a very young family, he has great faith and lives his life properly, a very happy person in life and in work. You can see that in the way he plays.
    "He is a terrific defender, he makes it look easy, which it's not.
    "Then he has that will to get forward and gives us the width on the left-hand side, with no shortage of quality as well."
    Izaguirre, like the equally impressive Israel midfielder Beram Kayal, was largely unknown in Scotland before Celtic signed him last summer.
    And Lennon revealed the signing had come about because of hard work from scouting supremo John Park and his team.
    "His name had been flagged up in the recruitment office a couple of times," Lennon said.
    "John and his guys had done a project on the World Cup. He played well against Spain, against (Jesus) Navas.
    "The recruitment team did some groundwork on him after that. When we knew he could be available, we had other options in that area, but we felt he was the pick of the lot.
    "You don't know what the players are going to be like temperament-wise, attitude wise, so you need a bit of luck in that respect. It has turned out to be a great bit of business."
    Izaguirre was one of eight players who started Sunday's 4-1 win over Dundee United who Lennon had signed since taking over on a permanent basis in June last year.
    Scott Brown believes some hard work off the park has helped the integration of a team who will go top of the SPL if they avoid defeat in their game in hand at Inverness.
    "We have gelled really well together and had a lot of time to get to know each other, a few team nights out," Brown said.
    "All the boys are so much more comfortable with each other now."
    As captain, Brown has had much of responsibility for building the team spirit, but he added: "A few of the lads came and said it to me as well, it's not just me that does it.
    "Marc Crosas when he was here was a big organiser and (Glenn) Loovens and Mark Wilson have helped out too. We are great mates on the field and off the field as well."
    When asked how difficult it was to unify such a multi-national squad, Brown joked: "I speak all the languages, I'm brilliant at that. It's quite hard but hand signals do wonders, don't they?"
    Brown's jovial mood belied the perceived pressure Celtic are under to retain control over the destiny of the title.
    But Lennon stressed his players knew the scale of the task awaiting them against Terry Butcher's seventh-placed Caley Thistle.
    "They had a great run before Christmas where they were right in the top six for a long time," Lennon said.
    "As is the case with clubs with smaller squads, the season bites them a little bit. If they lose a couple of their bigger players they tend to miss that quality.
    "But Terry has done a fantastic job and the away record has been exemplary.
    "It's always a tough stadium for us to go to, we have messed up a couple of times there over the years. So we have to be at our best but the players know that.
    "I think they are pretty focused on what is ahead of them, a different type of football that we have to overcome."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast