Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 08-05-11

Uploads

Latest Transfer Update at 08-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 08-05-11

Marko Arnautovic - suspended by Schaaf.
    ARNAUTOVIC BANNED BY BREMEN

Marko Arnautovic may have played his last game for Werder Bremen after being suspended by coach Thomas Schaaf for Saturday's Bundesliga match with Borussia Dortmund.
    Although the club's director of sport Klaus Allofs says the "disciplinary measure" is "only valid for the Dortmund game", the club's patience with the Austria international appears to be wearing thin.
    The 22-year-old has scored just twice in 24 games since arriving from Inter Milan and his performance against Wolfsburg last weekend was met with the disapproval of his club's own fans.
    "Marko does not have the right attitude to training," said Schaaf a week ago.
    That has not improved over the last seven days, meaning he will be working at the club's training ground today and not in the Weser Stadion against Dortmund.
    "He has a lot to learn," explained Allofs. "The Wolfsburg game underlined this."
    Arnautovic also had problems under Jose Mourinho at Inter last season, spending several weeks training with the reserves due to his poor attitude to training.
    And he also clashed with his national team coach Josef Hickersberger.
    The likelihood is Bremen will try to sell the talented striker this summer as part of a squad rebuilding exercise after a disappointing year.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 08-05-11

Odemwingie - tremendous season.
    BAGGIES TO OFFER ODEMWINGIE NEW DEAL

West Brom are set to offer a new contract to leading scorer Peter Odemwingie.
    Odemwingie has scored 14 goals during his first season in the Barclays Premier League and played a major part in them securing top-flight status.
    The Barclays player of the month for April has one year remaining of his current deal plus a 12-month option.
    He said: "I'm pretty sure the club would be prepared to discuss an extension of Peter's contract.
    "It would surprise me if they aren't. If that happens, it would be deserved.
    "The chairman (Jermey Peace) works here in a sensible way. He rewards success and he rewards people for doing a bit extra."
    Hodgson admits Odemwingie was not his first choice striker when he arrived at the club after going through a lean spell.
    He said: "I left Peter out of a couple of the early games which I suppose was never going to endear him to me.
    "He wasn't scoring at the time, people were beginning to doubt his ability and that was shining through a little bit in terms of his attitude throughout.
    "That's what front players are like. They are moody people. When they are scoring goals, the world is a beautiful place.
    "When they stop scoring goals, everything is wrong with the world and it is everyone's fault except their own.
    "That's the way they operate as a breed.
    "He was perfectly okay but certainly the way he has been recently, he has been much more upbeat recently which you would expect because he has been doing so well."
    Hodgson admits Odemwingie may find it difficult next season to reproduce this season's form but has the talent to overcome any setbacks.
    He said: "It will be harder for him next season. In the first season you get a bit of freedom in the sense that people tend to be more generous in their judgement of you in the first season.
    "If you do well, they praise you to the skies and if you don't do that, they are still quite enthusiastic about your performance.
    "But then suddenly you get a reputation as a good player and every time you fall even a jot below that people start asking questions - what's wrong with him, why he is not doing this, that and the other.
    "You have to be strong in your second and third years in particular to make certain people realise you are not a flash in the pan, that the talent you have got is a real talent.
    "He has talent and that's always going to endure because quality is what will keep people in their jobs."

Uploads

Craig Whyte watches Saturday's game with Martin Bain.
    WALTER SMITH - MURRAY WAS MINT

Rangers manager Walter Smith has told new owner Craig Whyte he has a hard act to follow now he has taken over Sir David Murray's shareholding in the Scottish champions.
    The Scots tycoon completed his takeover of the club on Friday night, bringing to an end Murray's association of more than 22 years with Rangers.
    The Murray era witnessed many defining moments for Scottish football as a whole, including the controversial signing of Maurice Johnston, the record-breaking 12million capture of Tore Andre Flo and the Nine in a Row campaign.
    Smith has worked under Murray's ownership in two spells at the Ibrox helm and paid tribute to the outgoing owner's "excellent" period at Rangers.
    He said: "When you have been an owner or manager here, people will always have their opinions of you - good, bad or indifferent.
    "The measure of success is how the team did and that's what a football club does and Sir David has been one of the most successful owners in British football. So whoever follows him has a hard act to follow in that respect.
    "I think if you are a Rangers supporter, you've got to say that Sir David Murray has been excellent for Rangers in the period of time that he's owned the club."
    Asked whether Whyte's buy-out will be good for Rangers, Smith replied: "I hope so."
    Whyte first announced plans for a proposed takeover on November 18 and six months of protracted negotiations and plenty of frustration followed before the deal was finally done on Friday night.
    As far as Smith is concerned, his main focus remains on delivering a third successive Clydesdale Bank Premier League title after Rangers stretched their lead at the summit to four points with a 4-0 win over Hearts.
    Of the takeover, he said: "We're glad it's settled. It seems since Christmas-time that we have had that situation cropping up. That's it settled now and everyone can get on with it.
    "For everybody on the footballing side, we've just got to make sure our concentration is on the next two games. Then the club will effectively go into new hands and go on from there."
    Smith will be replaced by Ally McCoist at the end of the season and the Ibrox number two echoed his boss' thoughts.
    "We're all delighted the long process has come to an end and we can look to the future," he said.
    When it was put to McCoist that Whyte is reportedly planning budget discussions later in week, he told BBC Scotland: "That's terrific news. That's the news we've been waiting to hear.
    "I'm sure Mr Whyte's got hopes and aspirations for the club the same as we all have and it will be very good to sit down and have a chat."

Uploads

Maynard - new deal close.
    MAYNARD CLOSE TO NEW DEAL

Bristol City striker Nicky Maynard is close to agreeing a new long-term contract with the club.
    The Robins' record signing is reportedly holding discussions with City officials regarding a new deal to stay at Ashton Gate.
    Maynard, 24, has been subject of speculation regarding his future with a number of Premier League clubs reportedly keen on his services.
    However, manager Keith Millen is feeling confident that Maynard, whose season was finished prematurely when he was sent off at Sheffield United, will sign an extension to his current deal, which runs until the end of next season.
    He said in the Bristol Evening Post: "We have had more conversations with Nicky and his agent and they have all been positive.
    "Nicky definitely wants to stay and be part of what I'm trying to build here and, hopefully, we can tie things up in the next week or so.
    "It's difficult to put a time scale on these things, because everything has to be right. They have to be happy and we have to be happy, but the sooner it is done, the quicker we can move on and start planning for next season."
    Despite speculation linking Maynard with a number of top clubs, City have yet to receive a single bid for the former Crewe Alexandra man, who is valued between 5-6million.
    Millen said: "We have not had anyone on the phone making inquiries about Nicky, which is something I'm pleased about.
    "There is always going to be speculation, but Nicky being suspended for the last three games has dampened some of that down. It has taken him out of the limelight a little bit and that has enabled him to focus on where he wants to be next season.
    "I think a lot of clubs are waiting to see which league they are in next season before making a move in the transfer market."
    Millen admits he is not overly concerned by the situation and is hopeful of tying up the deal very soon.
    He added: "I doubt there will be any interest until the relegation and play-off issues are resolved, by which time I'd like to think we will have a deal tied up.
    "Even if Nicky signs a new contract and another club comes in with a big offer, we would not stand in his way if we thought it was right for us and for the player.
    "If he does sign, then it gives him a little bit more security and it does the same for the club. I think he is committed to this club and I'm not overly concerned by the situation at all."

Uploads

David Nugent - looks set to move on.
    NUGENT LOOKS SET FOR POMPEY EXIT

Portsmouth manager Steve Cotterill seems almost resigned to losing leading marksman David Nugent this summer.
    Nugent pounced to fire home an 81st-minute deflected equaliser for Pompey in their final game of the season against Scunthorpe.
    Cotterill said: "David is out of contract and I have done everything I can to try and keep him at this club.
    "There's nothing more that I can tell him that he does not already know.
    "It's out of my hands now and I really don't know whether he will still be here next season."

Uploads

Alan Knill - rebuilding starts now.
    KNILL FOCUSING ON THE FUTURE

Scunthorpe manager Alan Knill is preparing to rebuild his side after a 1-1 home draw with Portsmouth saw the Iron finish the season bottom of the table.
    On-loan Leeds winger Ramon Nunez struck his third goal for Scunthorpe to give them a half-time lead, but David Nugent pounced to fire home an 81st-minute deflected equaliser for Pompey.
    Preston's win over Watford lifted them above Sheffield United and Scunthorpe on goal difference and Knill, who replaced Ian Baraclough as Iron boss at the end of March, will waste no time in his bid to steer his side straight back to the npower Championship.
    Knill said: "I'm hoping to be able to bring in five or six new faces during the summer.
    "We've a number of players in mind who we would like to bring in, but there will also be interest from other clubs and it promises to be a difficult summer for us."

Uploads

Ancelotti - saw his side lose at Old Trafford.
    ANCELOTTI: FUTURE IS OUT OF MY HANDS

Carlo Ancelotti admitted his future at Chelsea is hanging in the balance after Manchester United all but clinched the Premier League title.
    Chelsea's 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford all but ended their title hopes - United need only a point from their last two games - but despite having secured the London club a first double last season, the Italian now faces a nervous two-week wait.
    Ancelotti said: "I have another year on my contract and I would like to stay but it is the decision of the club.
    "The club will take a decision at the end of the season, we have two more games, two more weeks and we wait and see. We will arrange a meeting after the end of the season."
    Ancelotti said he did not know Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's opinion of the season but he admitted the club could have done better.
    He added: "I don't know what the owner thinks about the season but in my opinion we could have done better.
    "I am honest to say that Chelsea didn't do its best this season but sometimes that can happen. Last season we had a fantastic season, this year it was a little bit different."
    Asked whether he favoured returning to his native Italy, the Chelsea coach said he would one day - but has found England very much to his liking.
    He said: "Italy is my country and I cannot say I don't want to come back to Italy - I will come back to Italy one day as I love my country.
    "But in the last two years I have found a fantastic atmosphere in football, a fantastic country, and I respect the people. There is no violence in the stadium, the stadiums are full and I would like to stay here for these reasons."
    Ancelotti has come in for criticism for relying on players who have been stalwarts since Jose Mourinho's time - nine of the starting XI against United had played under Mourinho four years ago - but he claimed there was no need to completely shake up the squad.
    "This year we bought (David) Luiz, Ramires and Fernando Torres who are all fantastic players and this was enough for the future," said Ancelotti.
    " I don't think this team needs to have a lot of movement and now is not the right time."
    A goal from Javier Hernandez after just 36 seconds and Nemanja Vidic's 23rd minute header meant that Chelsea were never really in the contest against United, despite Frank Lampard's second-half consolation.
    "In the first minute we lost the game, we started so badly," Ancelotti told Sky Sports 1.
    "It was very difficult after that to come back and try to win. The second half was better but United played better and deserved to win.
    "We have to accept the defeat, today United were better and in general this season they were better than us. They deserve to win title, they will win and we have to try to maintain second place."
    Defender David Luiz was culpable as Hernandez burst through to open the scoring and was substituted at half-time after receiving angry looks from Ancelotti.
    But Chelsea's manager was more conciliatory after the game, as he said of the centre-back: "He had a little (injury) problem yesterday in training, we tried this morning and he said it was okay so I put him on the pitch.
    "On the pitch, you can make a mistake."

Uploads

Ferguson - won't leave even after double
    SIR ALEX FERGUSON STAYING ON

Sir Alex Ferguson insists that he will be staying on at Manchester United, even if they complete a remarkable double this season.
    At the start of the season, many suggested that the Red Devils would use this term as one of transition - but instead they are now on the brink of regaining the Premier League title, whilst also making the UEFA Champions League final.
    Should United claim the championship, that would make them England's most successful side taking them to 19 titles - one ahead of rivals Liverpool.
    And it has been suggested that Ferguson may stand-down once he has overhauled Liverpool - but he insists that is not in his thoughts.
    "I will be here next season," insisted 69-year-old Ferguson, who has a rolling contract at United and will be allowed to continue as long as he wants.
    He previously announced he would step down in 2002, only to change his mind and he insists he will not be making a decision like that again.
    "There obviously will be a point when I do quit and when it is I absolutely have no idea because I tried that and it was an absolute disaster," he said.
    "I was in agony, absolute agony. My wife made me change my mind and she was dead right.
    "I think she thought she would soon be fed up with me around the house."

Uploads

Adebayor - critical of Mancini.
    ADEBAYOR HITS OUT AT MANCINI

Emmanuel Adebayor admits he'll find it very hard to play under Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini ever again.
    The Togo star is currently on loan at Real Madrid from Manchester City, but he is scheduled to return to Eastlands in the summer.
    It remains to be seen whether Real will try and push through a permanent deal, but Adebayor is clearly hoping he will not be working with Mancini.
    "There is a huge difference between Mancini and Mourinho," he told the News of the World.
    "Jose has personality, character and he's not afraid to talk to you, whoever you are.
    "At City I didn't exist. Mancini didn't talk to me and people had forgotten about me.
    "But then you hear Real Madrid want you and it lifted me immediately. I thought, 'Okay, this means I am a good player'."
    Adebayor feels his confidence was shattered under Mancini.
    "I needed the manager to help me become a better player, but he was always criticising me," he said.
    "Mancini had no confidence in me at all. For him, whatever I did was wrong.
    "I remember scoring a hat-trick but he said I should have scored more. I tried a few times to talk to him man to man, but he never explained why he didn't like me."
    Adebayor also revealed that captain Carlos Tevez was at loggerheads with Mancini.
    "Whenever Mancini asked our opinions and we gave them he still wouldn't listen. He always thought he was right," he continued.
    "Carlos is the main man, the captain. He is the powerful man, the talisman. And if he is complaining that means there must be something wrong.
    "We have some very strong characters at the club and some very powerful players - Micah Richards, Patrick Vieira, Nigel de Jong, Vincent Kompany and Gareth Barry, they are all tough.
    "But the training wasn't strict enough and not well organised.
    "Sometimes we'd stop after 20 minutes and then those of us who were not in Mancini's starting 11 would be made to stand on the side and watch for the next 45 minutes.
    "I had never seen anything like it before in my life, not at Monaco, not at Arsenal and not here at Real Madrid.
    "At those clubs you trained whether you played or not. But at City sometimes even the players who would be on the bench for the next game didn't train.
    "I started to think I was not a good footballer and the doubt was instilled. After that I was more than depressed, I was gone.
    "Whenever I came to training I was in a bad mood, I didn't want to train. My confidence was hit hard.
    "At City I didn't exist. Mancini didn't talk to me and people had forgotten about me.
    "I had a fantastic relationship with previous manager Mark Hughes, but Mancini had no confidence in me at all.
    "Sometimes you see someone and you get the feeling that person doesn't care. It can be the most beautiful lady in the world, but you just don't like that person.
    "And I think that was the relationship between Mancini and me.
    "I guess I was not the type of player he wanted. He preferred Mario Balotelli and Edin Dzeko and I respect his decision.
    "I was a hero in my first season at City, but then I found myself in a very difficult position. When those two strikers arrived I said to myself, 'At least I will be in the squad'.
    "I'm not saying I'm the best player in the world but, to be honest, their record on the pitch is not better than mine.
    "But sometimes I wasn't involved at all and that is when I told myself, 'Something is wrong'."
    Despite his difficulties at City, Adebayor is hoping they win the FA Cup final next weekend.
    "I have won the Spanish Cup this season with Real and it would be a fantastic year for me if Manchester City can win the FA Cup, too," he said.
    "I wish Mancini the best of luck. I still have a lot of friends at City: Joleon Lescott, De Jong, Vinnie (Vincent Kompany), Micah, Shaun Wright-Phillips, while Vieira is like a big brother to me.
    "I speak to them on the phone all the time and they all went to Patrick's house to watch our cup final victory over Barcelona.
    "I phoned them after they beat Manchester United in the FA Cup semi-final and congratulated them. I am very happy for them.
    "Now they are 90 minutes from winning a trophy. If I could be at Wembley with them on the day I would do that with pleasure."

Uploads

Warnock - hoping he'll remain in charge.
    WARNOCK WARY OF QPR SACK

Neil Warnock admits he is unsure whether he will get the chance to lead QPR out in the Premier League.
    QPR saw their promotion confirmed on Saturday, as the Football Association announced that the club would not be docked points over the Alejandro Faurlin third-party ownership investigation.
    Warnock and his side were presented with the Championship title following a 2-1 defeat to Leeds, with the sense of relief almost tangible around Loftus Road.
    There is, however, uncertainty as to who will be charged with the task of preserving the club's top flight status next season.
    Warnock is still locked into a contract with the capital club, but he accepts that owners Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone may decide to offer the post to a bigger name - with Marcello Lippi and Claudio Ranieri already linked with the role.
    He said: "I'm not totally confident they will stick with me. It's one of those things.
    "Hopefully my contract is watertight, and I'm sure my stock's not gone down.
    "But I don't really want to leave London so I'll be disappointed if I don't get the opportunity."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast