Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 09-05-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 09-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 09-05-11

Zenden - yet to hold talks.

Veteran Sunderland midfielder Bolo Zenden says he has not spoken to manager Steve Bruce about his future.
    The Dutchman, who scored his first goal of the season in Saturday's 2-1 win at Bolton, is out of contract in the summer.
    Bruce has questioned recently whether he has under-utilised the former Chelsea and Middlesbrough man throughout the season.
    Zenden was praised by the Black Cats boss in the wake of their Reebok success, although no contract talks have taken place.
    The 34-year-old still believes he can do a job at Premier League level but is wary of committing unless he is given a greater role within the team.
    "You can train as much as you want but what you need is competitive games," said Zenden. "So I hope I've taken the chance to show I can still play at Premier League level.
    "I haven't spoken to the manager about my future, but it's something that will obviously have to be decided soon.
    "I've spoken to people and I feel I'm important for the club.
    ''But it's not just that, I want to be important for the team as well - and I feel I can still do a job."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 09-05-11

Warnock - assured he is still wanted.

Queens Park Rangers chairman Gianni Paladini insists it is "nonsense" to suggest Neil Warnock will be replaced as manager following the club's promotion to the Premier League.
    The club's Championship title success was rubber-stamped on Saturday after the Football Association confirmed no points would be docked regarding the Alejandro Faurlin affair.
    Warnock was delighted to be able to celebrate leading QPR back into the top flight, but has also expressed fears for his future at Loftus Road.
    He was worried he could be ditched for a more high-profile name after Marcello Lippi and Claudio Ranieri were linked with the job.
    However, Paladini has assured Warnock that the current board do not want to make a change at the helm for next season.
    "All this talk about Warnock not keeping his job is nonsense," said Paladini.
    "While I'm here, Neil will not be going anywhere. All the investors want to keep him. I want this to go on record and, if he does go, then you can all call me a liar.
    "He is our manager and we want it to stay that way. We worked for two years to bring Neil to the club.
    "It was difficult at first as Simon Jordan, owner of Crystal Palace at the time, wanted too much compensation.
    "But we managed to bring him here. He's done a top job, why would we let him leave?"

Samba - nearly joined Arsenal in January.

Blackburn defender Chris Samba could be on the move this summer after revealing he came close to joining Arsenal in January.
    The 27-year-old put in an outstanding performance as Rovers drew 1-1 at West Ham on Saturday and was unbeatable in the air as Avram Grant fielded four strikers for the majority of the second half.
    Blackburn's resistance was broken by Thomas Hitzlsperger's late 25-yard drive but there was still time for Samba to throw himself in the way of Carlton Cole's volley to deny the Hammers three vital points.
    Samba has become a rock for Steve Kean's side but will consider his options at the end of the campaign after four and a half years at Ewood Park.
    He said: "Everybody knows that I am an ambitious player. I am at an age now where I want to try to do something. You only have one career and it would be a shame to not make the best of it.
    "I am happy at Blackburn but I will study any opportunities that come my way this year.
    "I'm not trying to move away but of course I would look if it is the right thing for me.
    "I think a move to Arsenal was very close in January but that is life. You have to continue.
    "If it happens, it happens, but it wasn't meant to be and football is like that. I committed myself to Blackburn and will always do my best."
    Samba came out on top of his personal duel with England striker Cole who twice felt he should have had a penalty after wrestling with the giant centre-half.
    On both occasions Samba appeared to win the ball and he insisted such tussles were part and parcel of the game.
    He said: "West Ham needed to get three points and they were playing with four or even five strikers in the second half.
    "They only had one clear shot on goal which went in.
    "When you are down there you try to force your destiny. You try to win a penalty and make the referee make a bad decision.
    "But I stay strong and keep calm. You know when a player has taken a fall but we all play the game and we must get on with it.
    "It is tough to keep focused but we defended very well and it was a good point for us."

Ashley Young - linked with Manchester United.

Luke Young fears big clubs will target Ashley Young and Stewart Downing this summer - after claiming Aston Villa cannot afford to lose the duo.
    Ashley Young has only one year left of his current deal and is understood to be attracting interest from Manchester United.
    But Downing is also coming under the microscope with Liverpool having been linked after an impressive campaign.
    Luke Young said: "Stewart has been brilliant. I played with him at Middlesbrough so I knew the potential that he's got.
    "I feel he would have done a bit more if he had got out a couple of years earlier.
    "Now he is showing the form and you've got bigger clubs sniffing at him and it is obviously going to be difficult for us to keep him.
    "We haven't had a great season so I think some of the bigger clubs are having a look at him, and rightly so with the form he has shown.
    "He is one that we hope stays because he is a big player for us."
    Luke Young added: "The bigger clubs are circling for Ashley as well so it is going to be a difficult summer for us and hopefully we can keep hold of both of them.
    "But we certainly wouldn't want to lose both of them."
    Luke Young believes Downing has the ability to emulate Ashley Young and move to the forefront of Fabio Capello's England plans.
    He said: "I think Stewart is starting to believe that he can become an England regular himself.
    "With Stewart, when he is on song and confident, that is when you see the best of him.
    "It is just about getting minutes on the pitch for England. It is difficult.
    "There are lots of very good players and you go with a lot of squads and come on for 10-15 minutes.
    "You actually need to be given a run of games like Ashley Young has been given and he has taken his chance and maybe Stewart needs that as well."
    Luke Young is happy to be playing on a regular basis for Villa after not getting many opportunities last season.
    He said: "I've always just wanted to play football. I've never not been unhappy at the club.
    "I just wanted to have a fairer crack and be involved a bit more.
    "I had three or four months towards the end of last season where, no matter what I did, I didn't really get a chance.
    "That was my only frustration. I love the club. It's a great club, a big club."

Derek McInnes - has spoken to Brentford.

St Johnstone manager Derek McInnes has confirmed he has spoken to Brentford but refused to discuss a possible move to the npower League One side.
    The west London club parted company with manager Andy Scott in February, with striker Nicky Forster taking charge on a caretaker basis.
    Although Saints chairman Geoff Brown does not believe it is the right move for the former Rangers and Dundee United midfielder, Brentford are set to offer the appropriate compensation to get their man.
    "I can confirm that I have spoken to Brentford," McInnes said.
    "But that's all I am going to say about the matter at the moment."
    McInnes, 39, has been in charge at McDiarmid Park since 2007 and has been linked in the past with vacant managerial posts at Watford and former club West Brom.
    Brentford finished 11 in League One this season but the Saints boss would have a far bigger budget to work with than at McDiarmid Park should he make the move.
    McInnes is preparing for St Johnstone's final two Clydesdale Bank Premier League games against Hamilton on Tuesday night and St Mirren on Saturday but with Brentford's bid now in the public domain, he may have to make a decision this week.

Derry - 'no short cuts'.

Veteran QPR midfielder Shaun Derry has urged the club's owners to give the current squad a chance to prove themselves in the Premier League.
    Rangers' promotion back to the big time was finally rubber-stamped on Saturday and the west Londoners, backed by the financial clout of billionaires Bernie Ecclestone and Lakshmi Mittal, are expected to splash the cash over the summer.
    Expectations will be predictably high for the so-called 'richest club in the world' and Derry admits merely finishing 17th in the top flight will not be good enough.
    But while 19-goal skipper Adel Taarabt has hogged the headlines all season, Rangers' promotion has also been built around the more workmanlike talents of Derry, Clint Hill, Paddy Kenny and Kaspars Gorkss.
    And former Leeds and Crystal Palace midfielder Derry, 33, does not want to see a major overhaul of the squad.
    "Nothing has been mentioned about what impact we have got to make next season but you can just sense it," he admitted.
    "You walk around Loftus Road and you see the people who run the football club and I don't think fourth from bottom is going to be anything but a failure for this club.
    "And as a player, that is exciting. There are going to be even better times around the corner.
    "I think you have got to look at Blackpool - they have given themselves a great chance of staying in the Premier League.
    "Look at two or three years ago, Reading made the transition, Steve Coppell kept the nucleus of the side and they had a really good first season.
    "I think that is important - you have got to keep the nucleus of the squad and build around it and do it properly. There are no short cuts to success."
    Striker Heidar Helguson hit his 15th goal of the season after just 27 seconds against Leeds on Saturday.
    Goals from Max Gradel and Ross McCormack secured a 2-1 win for the visitors but could not take the gloss off Rangers' promotion, which had dramatically been confirmed before kick-off when the FA announced the club would not be deducted points over the Alejandro Faurlin affair.
    Helguson is, however, one of many Rangers players facing an uncertain future.
    "As of now I don't have a contract," he said.
    "I am hopeful of signing one but there will always be rumours at QPR, about players and managers. I can't speculate what will happen.
    "There will be players coming in and players leaving, which happens at every club."

Kamara - open to Leicester return.

Diomansy Kamara admits it is possible that he could return to Leicester despite being disappointed with his contribution during his loan spell.
    The striker spent the closing few weeks of the season on loan at the Walkers Stadium from Fulham and scored twice in seven appearances.
    Kamara's contract at Craven Cottage expires in the summer and he is planning to look for a new club after becoming resigned to leaving.
    The 30-year-old has not ruled out a permanent move to Leicester and has vowed to contribute more if he does rejoin Sven-Goran Eriksson's side.
    "I'm unhappy we didn't get to the play-offs, we have a great team," said Kamara.
    "And I'm bitterly disappointed with my own performance. I honestly know I can do much better.
    "Two goals in seven games wasn't good enough - if I can come back I'll try to do much better. Returning is possible. We can have a strong squad next term and can go up."

Kenny Dalglish - has worked the oracle.

Fulham boss Mark Hughes believes Kenny Dalglish unequivocally deserves the Liverpool manager's role on a permanent basis.
    The Anfield legend was reinstated at the helm 20 years after leaving the role after the Reds parted company with Roy Hodgson in January.
    Dalglish was initially brought in to firefight until the end of the season but the club have enjoyed a quite incredible change in fortunes under his guidance.
    Liverpool now lie sixth in the Barclays Premier League and have attracted plaudits for the style in which they are playing.
    Dalglish's charges face a trip to face Fulham on Monday evening and Craven Cottage boss Hughes was quick to praise his counterpart.
    "When you looked on paper at their squad, they've got a good squad," he said.
    "There's a good group of players there and, for whatever reason, Roy found it difficult there to get the group there pulling in same direction.
    "But Kenny very, very quickly seemed to be able to address that and, straight away, everybody's on board and that's a huge help.
    "They just seem to be enjoying their work and looking to obviously get as high as they can in the Premier League.
    "That's credit to the impact that Kenny's been able to have on the group as a whole."
    Asked whether he should be given the job permanently, he said: "You would think so, yeah. Goodness me, you'd argue that he couldn't do anything more, to be perfectly honest.
    "I'm not quite sure why it is there seems to be a delay in making the decision but I think everybody would be surprised if he didn't get it at this point."
    While Dalglish seems a definite for the Liverpool job on a permanent basis, Hughes' name has been linked with several high-profile roles in recent times.
    Former club Chelsea has been mooted as potential destination but Hughes insists Fulham is his only focus.
    "I've still got another year left (on my contract)," he said.
    "I'm very happy here and I'd like to think I project that. I'm very happy with the job I have and the group of players I have and we can be successful here."
    He added: "That [speculation is] not coming from me or from the people who purport to represent me.
    "It's just out there as a consequence of what we do. But I'm very happy here and really enjoying my time."

Ancelotti - saw his side lose at Old Trafford.

Carlo Ancelotti admitted his future at Chelsea is hanging in the balance after Manchester United all but clinched the Premier League title.
    Chelsea's 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford all but ended their title hopes - United need only a point from their last two games - but despite having secured the London club a first double last season, the Italian now faces a nervous two-week wait.
    Ancelotti said: "I have another year on my contract and I would like to stay but it is the decision of the club.
    "The club will take a decision at the end of the season, we have two more games, two more weeks and we wait and see. We will arrange a meeting after the end of the season."
    Ancelotti said he did not know Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich's opinion of the season but he admitted the club could have done better.
    He added: "I don't know what the owner thinks about the season but in my opinion we could have done better.
    "I am honest to say that Chelsea didn't do its best this season but sometimes that can happen. Last season we had a fantastic season, this year it was a little bit different."
    Asked whether he favoured returning to his native Italy, the Chelsea coach said he would one day - but has found England very much to his liking.
    He said: "Italy is my country and I cannot say I don't want to come back to Italy - I will come back to Italy one day as I love my country.
    "But in the last two years I have found a fantastic atmosphere in football, a fantastic country, and I respect the people. There is no violence in the stadium, the stadiums are full and I would like to stay here for these reasons."
    Ancelotti has come in for criticism for relying on players who have been stalwarts since Jose Mourinho's time - nine of the starting XI against United had played under Mourinho four years ago - but he claimed there was no need to completely shake up the squad.
    "This year we bought (David) Luiz, Ramires and Fernando Torres who are all fantastic players and this was enough for the future," said Ancelotti.
    " I don't think this team needs to have a lot of movement and now is not the right time."
    A goal from Javier Hernandez after just 36 seconds and Nemanja Vidic's 23rd minute header meant that Chelsea were never really in the contest against United, despite Frank Lampard's second-half consolation.
    "In the first minute we lost the game, we started so badly," Ancelotti told Sky Sports 1.
    "It was very difficult after that to come back and try to win. The second half was better but United played better and deserved to win.
    "We have to accept the defeat, today United were better and in general this season they were better than us. They deserve to win title, they will win and we have to try to maintain second place."
    Defender David Luiz was culpable as Hernandez burst through to open the scoring and was substituted at half-time after receiving angry looks from Ancelotti.
    But Chelsea's manager was more conciliatory after the game, as he said of the centre-back: "He had a little (injury) problem yesterday in training, we tried this morning and he said it was okay so I put him on the pitch.
    "On the pitch, you can make a mistake."

Gareth Bale - out with ruptured ankle ligament.

Tottenham's flickering hopes of Champions League qualification took a blow today with the confirmation that Gareth Bale will miss the rest of the season after suffering a ruptured ankle ligament during Saturday's 1-1 draw against Blackpool.
    Bale came off in the second half of the draw at White Hart Lane after a robust challenge from Charlie Adam, which meant the Welshman had to leave the ground on crutches.
    The club confirmed this afternoon that the PFA Player of the Year will wear a protective boot for the next 12 days before starting a rehabilitation regime.
    Despite the seriousness of the injury, he is expected to be fit for the start of pre-season training at the start of July.
    It brings a premature end to a fascinating season for the former Southampton man, who has become one of the most highly-rated players on the planet after putting in a series of scintillating performances this term.
    Bale's pace and penetration will be hugely missed by the Londoners, who need to win all three of their remaining games against Manchester City, Liverpool and Birmingham to have any chance of bringing Champions League football to White Hart Lane for a second successive season.
    Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp was under no illusions as to how difficult the fight to close the six-point gap that separates his team and City would be, even before the seriousness of Bale's injury had been confirmed.
    "It will take a miracle," said Redknapp, who knows anything but a win at Eastlands tomorrow will mean the end of the club's top-four hopes.
    "(City manager) Roberto Mancini has got a fantastic squad. They're in a great position. They are six points ahead of us and they have a better goal difference by miles."
    Bale has been forced to miss nine of Tottenham's games in the second part of the season due to back and hamstring problems.
    His absence has coincided with the club's slump in form, but Redknapp is confident his squad will be able to cope without him.
    "It's a blow but we have been without Gareth quite a bit recently," Redknapp added.
    "He has had a fantastic season. The first three-quarters of the season he was unplayable, but over the last couple of months the injury situation has taken its toll on him. During that time he hasn't quite been the same boy."
    Tottenham are currently in the midst of their worst run of the season, with just one win coming from their last nine Barclays Premier League matches.
    A sequence of four wins from their last six matches saw Spurs overcome the odds and beat City to the last Champions League qualification spot last season.
    City responded by handing Mancini a huge war chest to sign the likes of Yaya Toure, David Silva and Edin Dzeko.
    Redknapp thinks the Eastlands club's spending power means it will only be a matter of time before they win the title.
    "I don't see what will stop them," Redknapp said. "They will keep improving their squad until eventually they will win the championship."
    Spurs attempted to break their own transfer record to bring in a marquee signing this January. The club were ultimately unsuccessful in their attempts to sign strikers Sergio Aguero, Giuseppe Rossi and Diego Forlan, but Redknapp has repeatedly said that he will be back in the market for one or two world-class additions this summer.
    He also admitted that he will not just be looking for a frontman, saying: "We know what we are looking for. It's not just strikers who score. We haven't got goals from elsewhere really. We haven't got the goals from the middle of the park or the wide positions like we can."
    Redknapp will attempt to move on the likes of Robbie Keane, Giovani Dos Santos and David Bentley this summer despite them failing to impress at their temporary clubs.
    Rafael van der Vaart had been mentioned as another potential sale, but Redknapp says the Dutchman is going nowhere.
    "There's no truth that we want to part with him," he said. "He's done great for us although he has tapered off after a hard season."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast