Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 11-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 11-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 11-05-11

Ferguson - things could have been so different.
    SIR ALEX: I WAS OFFERED ARSENAL JOB

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed how he turned down the opportunity to be Arsenal manager just months before taking over at the helm at Manchester United.
    The offer came early in 1986 and Ferguson was keen to take Walter Smith to the Gunners with him.
    But Scotland's World Cup campaign in Mexico that year meant the move to Arsenal fell through.
    Ferguson made the revelations in Tuesday night's match programme for Rangers' Scottish Premier League clash against Dundee United - Smith's last match in charge at Ibrox.
    Ferguson said: "I was offered the Arsenal job and I wanted to take Walter with me.
    "I thought I would sound him out when we were on Scotland duty together. We were going to play in Israel and I didn't know that Walter was going to Rangers at that time.
    "I told him that I had been offered the chance to go to Arsenal and I asked him what he thought. He was positive about it, saying they were a big club and that kind of thing.
    "So I said to him 'Do you fancy coming with me?' Then he dropped the bombshell that he was going to Rangers.
    "The thing about the Arsenal offer was that they wanted an answer right away but I couldn't give them one because I was going to the World Cup in Mexico with Scotland.
    "So the Arsenal thing fell by the wayside. Walter went to Rangers and then later that year I went to Manchester United."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 11-05-11

Micky Adams - left Sheffield United.
    MICKY ADAMS LEAVES BLADES

Sheffield United have parted company with manager Micky Adams.
    Adams, a lifelong Blades fan, had stressed he had wanted to remain at Bramall Lane in a bid to revive the club's fortunes after a miserable campaign which saw them relegated from the npower Championship.
    However, the 49-year-old met with owner Kevin McCabe today when he was informed his services were no longer required.
    Adams' assistant Alan Cork has also left the club. Adams had only been with the south Yorkshire club since December 30 last year to become the Blades' third boss of the season following the sacking of Kevin Blackwell and the departure of Gary Speed to be Wales manager. John Carver also had a spell as caretaker manager.
    However, the former Port Vale boss endured a miserable spell, winning just four out of 24 games as the Blades dropped into League One.
    McCabe told the club's official website, www.sufc.co.uk: "It is always difficult when managers leave because usually it occurs when a team has been in trouble, but this decision has been made as amicably as possible between us all.
    "Micky is an honourable, hard-working and honest man who has had difficult circumstances to deal with from the moment he came in.
    "The task was a big one and no one, least of all myself, can criticise the effort he and Alan put in to turn around what was already an awkward season for us.
    "He made it clear that he wanted the chance to lead us next season but the fact remains that we have been relegated.
    "There will have to be changes in player personnel in the summer, young players will have to be given opportunities at the right time, and prudent recruitment implemented for what will be a really tough division to get out of.
    "With that in mind I feel that in order to give ourselves the best opportunity we should make a clean sweep at the top and start afresh next season."
    Adams said: "Obviously I am very, very disappointed with the decision but I still wish Sheffield United all the best.
    "I am a Blade and will always be a Blade so I am just sorry that my move here has not worked out.
    "I pass on my thanks to the fans and would still like to think that they regard me as one of them.
    "To carry the support of so many of them in some pretty dark days was very much appreciated.
    "But most of all I wish the McCabes well because if anyone deserves success it is Kevin and his family."

Uploads

Villas-Boas - possible Chelsea target.
    PORTO EXPECT VILLAS-BOAS TO STAY

Porto have signalled their intention to keep Andre Villas-Boas out of the clutches of Chelsea and the other giants of European football by declaring they want him to stay "for many years".
    Villas-Boas, the hottest young prospect in management, has been heavily touted as a potential replacement for Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti, who appears resigned to losing his job at the end of the season.
    But Porto president Pinto da Costa has told 33-year-old Villas-Boas he can fulfil all his immediate ambitions with the Portuguese club.
    Speaking at a dinner to commemorate his side's 25th league title success, Da Costa said: "Out of the thousands of times that he has been asked if he would be leaving for another club, he has always responded that he is in his dream position already."
    Turning to Villas-Boas, he added: "We want to see you happy in this job for many years, and we will provide you with the conditions so that this season is the first of many with the success that we all want."
    Villas-Boas, who worked at Chelsea as a scout under Jose Mourinho, has been dubbed the new 'Special One' after breaking several of his former mentor's records in a staggering first season at the Estadio do Dragao.
    The club last month clinched the league title with five matches to spare and have won 26 and drawn three of their 29 games in the competition ahead of Saturday's season finale at Maritimo.
    They have also enjoyed a record-breaking run to the Europa League final, in which they will play Portuguese rivals Braga a week on Wednesday.
    Porto have already moved once this season to tie down Villas-Boas, extending the two-year contract he signed when joining the club by another year back in December.
    Despite his remarkable rise, appointing Villas-Boas would represent something of a gamble for Chelsea, although there are reports he could be asked to work under a more experienced director of football.
    It appears the Blues would like that to be Guus Hiddink if the Dutchman decides against a return to frontline club management.
    The 64-year-old reportedly remains billionaire owner Roman Abramovich's number one target but he is under contract with the Turkey national team until the European Championship finals and is renowned for refusing to walk away from jobs early.
    The Turkish Football Federation last month insisted they would snub any move by Abramovich for Hiddink although that might change if he loses next month's vital qualifier in Belgium and is effectively hounded out by disgruntled supporters.
    There has been speculation linking Gianfranco Zola with a coaching role in any new regime, while Marco van Basten has been mentioned as an alternative to Hiddink and Villas-Boas.
    There are certain to be changes in the squad at Stamford Bridge, with a playmaker the priority if Chelsea wish to get the best out of Fernando Torres.
    Kaka, who has been linked with the Blues for years, would undoubtedly fit the bill and his mother has fuelled speculation about the Brazil star moving to London on her Twitter account.
    Real Madrid playmaker Kaka, a devoted Catholic, brought his family with him to Europe when he moved to AC Milan eight years ago.
    His mother, Simone Leite, wrote: "We are going to be in London next season where we will be preaching the word of God.
    "We will be there from August - I can tell you."
    Madrid have confirmed the 10million signing of Borussia Dortmund midfielder Nuri Sahin, adding further weight to rumours Kaka's days in the Spanish capital are numbered.

Uploads

Mancini - happy at City.
    MANCINI EAGER TO STAY WITH CITY

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has reiterated his desire to remain in charge at Eastlands amid reports of a return to Italy.
    Mancini has been suggested as a possible candidate to replace Luigi Del Neri at Juventus this summer.
    But former Inter Milan boss Mancini told Gazzetta dello Sport: "I have not received any offers and in any case my priority is to achieve our stated aims with City in order to stay here and fight for the league title next season.
    "I have a good team already but we will bring reinforcements."
    City are almost certain to finish in the Premier League's top four, and take on Stoke on Saturday in the FA Cup final looking to clinch the club's first trophy in 35 years.
    Mancini, meanwhile, hopes he can persuade Argentina striker Carlos Tevez to stay at the club.
    The City captain came close to leaving the club earlier this year but opted to stay.
    "Carlos told us back in December that he wants to go to Italy," Mancini said. "But if he changes his mind, I would be happy."
    Mancini insisted fellow strikers Edin Dzeko and Mario Balotelli would remain at City next season.
    "Edin will score many goals next year with us while I am certain that Mario will stay," he said.

Uploads

Pacheco - open to return.
    PACHECO KEEN ON NORWICH RETURN

Dani Pacheco would be willing to return to Norwich if he fails to get games at Liverpool.
    The Spanish forward linked up with the Canaries in March after on loan and enjoyed a productive spell with the Championship club, netting twice in six appearances.
    His efforts helped Paul Lambert's side to secure automatic promotion, and Pacheco would welcome a return to Carrow Road to play Premier League football next season.
    The Spain Under-21 international is planning to return to Anfield and have another shot at forcing his way into Kenny Dalglish's plans, but he admits that he will be keeping the door open to Norwich.
    "I have to go back to Liverpool and see how the summer goes," said Pacheco.
    "But I would love to come back here if I'm not going to get games at Liverpool."

Uploads

Wilkins - Ancelotti should stay.
    WILKINS: DON'T DISMISS CARLO

Ray Wilkins has insisted Chelsea would be making a mistake by sacking manager Carlo Ancelotti.
    Wilkins, who was Ancelotti's assistant until his own controversial dismissal in November, is also adamant wholesale changes are not need to the club's squad.
    He told BBC Radio Five Live: "I don't think it needs a radical change.
    "But they certainly need new players to freshen the place up.
    "Wholesale changes, starting from the coach, would be the wrong way to go."
    The departure of Wilkins has been cited by some as the catalyst for Chelsea's worst run in the Barclays Premier League for almost 15 years, which is set to ultimately cost them the title.
    There have also been suggestions their ageing squad is now past its best.
    But Wilkins, who is still in touch with Ancelotti, said: "Chelsea have a nucleus of players, I know a lot is spoken about how old these players are but, trust me, the fitness levels are exceptionally high.
    "The age thing does not really creep in. They do have the fitness levels of younger men."

Uploads

Huntelaar - no plans to leave.
    HUNTELAAR TO STICK WITH SCHALKE

Klaas Jan Huntelaar has no intention of leaving Schalke in the summer.
    The Holland striker, who joined the Royal Blues from AC Milan last summer, insists the lack of Champions League football will not prompt him to move.
    "I don't want to go just because we aren't in the Champions League next year. I am definitely staying at Schalke," he said in Bild.
    Schalke have endured a miserable season domestically, despite getting to the semi-finals of the Champions League and final of the DFB-Pokal.
    They lie 14th in the Bundesliga table with one game to go.

Uploads

Mancienne - unsure of future.
    MANCIENNE FACING UNCERTAIN FUTURE

Michael Mancienne admits he is in the dark over his own long-term future as he set his sights on helping keep Wolves in the Premier League.
    The 23-year-old, who is approaching the end of his third spell at Molineux on loan from Chelsea, believes staying up would eclipse being part of the side that won the Championship two seasons ago.
    But Mancienne has no idea whether he will return next season.
    When asked if he would like to stay at Wolves, Mancienne said: "I've got to go back to Chelsea.
    "But beyond that, I can't say what's going to happen because I don't know myself.
    "All I know is staying up would definitely top winning promotion because of the pressure on us.
    "Everyone was expecting us to go down but hopefully we can prove them all wrong.
    "We're out of the bottom three but I don't think we've got enough points to be safe.
    "We've got to take what we did on Sunday (against West Brom) into the next game and keep going.
    "We can't take our foot off the pedal."
    Mancienne has only just returned to the side after recovering from a knee injury.
    He was operating in a holding midfield role earlier in the campaign but is now in his preferred centre-back position alongside Jody Craddock.
    He said: "It feels good to be back involved especially after winning a game. I'm really happy.
    "I'm really enjoying it again because I'm playing in the position I came here for.
    "Playing alongside Jody (Craddock) is a massive help as well. He's a big character and he's a great defender."

Uploads

Pastore - not for sale.
    PALERMO KEEN TO KEEP PASTORE

Palermo insist Argentinian star Javier Pastore will remain at the club next season despite strong interest from AC Milan.
    The 21-year-old playmaker, who was named the 2010 Serie A Young Player of the Year, has attracted the attention of top clubs in Europe this season.
    Chelsea, Real Madrid, Milan and Barcelona are all believed to be interested in securing his services.
    However, Palermo vice-president Guglielmo Micciche said: "There are no negotiations that have taken place.
    "It's true that (Milan sporting director Ariedo) Braida is a big fan of Pastore.
    "He wanted the player already a few years ago but I believe he (Pastore) will remain with us at least for one more campaign.
    "I am certain of that."
    Palermo have placed a 60million euro price tag on Pastore, who joined the Sicilian outfit in 2009 and is under contract for a further three seasons.
    Pastore is Palermo's top scorer this season with 11 league goals in 34 appearances.

Uploads

Jefferies - no plans to quit.
    JEFFERIES TO CARRY ON

Jim Jefferies has no intention of resigning as Hearts manager despite the interference of majority shareholder Vladimir Romanov in team selection.
    Hearts captain Marius Zaliukas was made unavailable to Jefferies for last Saturday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash at Rangers on the morning of the game at the behest of Romanov, who it is understood was concerned his fellow Lithuanian may be sent off by referee Iain Brines.
    Jefferies was already without injured duo Andy Webster and Lee Wallace and the suspended Ismael Bouzid and has expressed his frustration at the decision.
    But the Hearts boss insisted he has not considered quitting Tynecastle.
    Speaking ahead of Wednesday night's SPL match with Celtic, Jefferies said: "There's no way I'm resigning. I'll come in here and I'll learn from that experience and I'll know what to do now.
    "There were rumours going around on Saturday. I was getting texts from my son that I'd resigned.
    "Yes, I was disappointed the way we were a bit short at the back, but the rumours that were flying around weren't true."
    Zaliukas is set to return to the Hearts team against Celtic, while Jefferies is optimistic Marian Kello - the goalkeeper has also been out of the team of late due to an undisclosed "private matter" - will also play.
    Romanov is set to travel to Edinburgh and attend Wednesday's match and will meet Jefferies for discussions about the future of the club.
    The Hearts boss, whose main dealings with Romanov are through Hearts director Sergejus Fedotovas, added: "I'll meet him like we always do.
    "If there's time before the game we'll do it, or if it's the day after - we'll be discussing going forward.
    "If I've got any problems I'll not be sitting here discussing it with you.
    "I'll be discussing it with the owner and Sergei."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast