Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 12-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 12-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 12-05-11

Downing - enjoying his time at Villa.
    VILLA BEGIN DOWNING CONTRACT TALKS

Aston Villa have opened talks with winger Stewart Downing over a new contract - and the player has intimated he would like to stay at the midlands club.
    Downing, who has two years remaining of his current contract, has been linked with a summer move to Liverpool.
    But he has given a strong indication he is content to remain with Villa.
    Downing told the Birmingham Mail: "I think there have been a couple of conversations already with my agent.
    "I've already spoken to the manager who has said he'd like to keep me.
    "I've still got two years left and they've come to me with an offer.
    "For a player, that is brilliant because it gives you confidence they have faith in you and that they reward players if they do well.
    "I'm enjoying my stay here. I've enjoyed it since the first day I came. It's a terrific football club. it's fantastic they want me."
    Regarding speculation over his future, Downing said: "It's part and parcel of being a player and doing well.
    "Ever since I was young I've read stories saying 'you're going here, you're going there.
    "Obviously if you have a good season you get linked, but I'm happy here."
    Downing, voted Villa's player of the year, is optimistic about the future of the club despite a disappointing campaign after three top-six finishes in the Barclays Premier League.
    He said: "There are terrific players here. I'm confident, despite this season, that we're going in the right direction and, if we get the right players in, then I'm happy.
    "The important thing in football is if you're happy, then why change it.
    "I know it's been a disappointing season but I can see the bigger picture."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 12-05-11

Ancelotti - Terry backing.
    TERRY BACKS ANCELOTTI

Chelsea captain John Terry does not want manager Carlo Ancelotti to leave the club this summer.
    The Blues are set to make a decision on Ancelotti's future at the club in the next fortnight, following a season in which the west Londoners have failed to win a trophy.
    Terry is hopeful that the Italian boss, who won the Barclays Premier League and FA Cup double in his first season in charge last term, will remain to at least see out the last season of his three-year deal.
    "He's got my full support. I love Carlo," Terry told The Sun.
    "He won the double in his first year and this season the injuries and releasing players has been tough for him."
    Chelsea released veteran midfielders Michael Ballack, Deco and Joe Cole last summer and Terry believes their departures left the club short on numbers in their title defence.
    "When (Jose) Mourinho was here we had a big squad but we miss that," he added.
    "Somewhere in between where we are, and what we had, would be ideal."

Uploads

McGregor - eager to stay at Rangers.
    MCGREGOR HOPING FOR NEW DEAL

Allan McGregor is keen to open discussions over a contract extension at Rangers as soon as the Scottish Premier League season is complete.
    Craig Whyte says his takeover at Ibrox means Scotland goalkeeper McGregor, who has two more years on his current deal, may stay on and there are funds available for an improved contract.
    McGregor said in the Scottish Sun: "I'd be more than happy to open contract discussions.
    "Right now, there are more important things to worry about.
    "After the end of the season, I hope my phone goes and we can sit down."
    Whyte also hopes to tie Steven Davis, Steven Whittaker and Madjid Bougherra to new deals.
    McGregor added: "For the club in general, it is hopefully going to be a good thing that there might be fresh money available now.
    "It'd be good to make sure we keep most of the current squad and try and make it even stronger for next season by bringing some new players in."

Uploads

Zlatan Ibrahimovic - AC Milan striker.

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini could have a tough time trying to tempt Zlatan Ibrahimovic away from AC Milan, according to his agent.
    The Italian manager revealed his interest in the striker on Wednesday, fuelling rumours the 29-year-old could make the move to Eastlands in the summer.
    But Ibrahimovic, currently on loan at Serie A champions Milan from Barcelona, has said he wants to stay at the San Siro.
    And his agent, Mino Raiola, insists the Swede has unfinished business with the Rossoneri as he looks to help them to European success next season.
    "Mancini has paid a great compliment to Zlatan by saying he might make the final leap to Manchester City," Raiola told Radio Radio.
    "But he must not speak with me but with (Milan chief Adriano) Galliani and it won't be easy to take him away.
    "Mancini knows what it means to have Ibra in a squad but I think it's impossible that Milan will sell him.
    "When Zlatan went to AC Milan I said they were getting not just a player but also a winning mentality.
    "Ibrahimovic doesn't like to lose and he has brought that mentality to AC Milan.
    "In football everything has a price, but Ibra is not going to go away. He wants to grow with Milan. They will have a team to compete in Europe."
    City booked their spot in the Champions League for next term with victory over Tottenham on Tuesday night.
    And Mancini admits he does not know how many additions he will need to make to his squad in the summer ahead of juggling domestic football with European action next season.
    "I don't know how many players I will need at this moment," said the City boss.
    "When you play in the Champions League and want to try and win the title, you need many players. It is very hard without that."

Uploads

Andres Villas-Boas - happy at Porto.
    VILLAS-BOAS KEEN TO STAY AT PORTO

Porto manager Andres Villas-Boas wants to remain in charge of the Portuguese champions after constant speculation linking him to major clubs around Europe.
    The 33-year-old is earning a reputation throughout the continent after guiding Porto to their 25th domestic crown and securing a Europa League final against compatriots Braga.
    But despite rumours that he would leave in the summer, with Chelsea one of the mooted destinations, he has revealed he intends to remain at the Estadio Dragao.
    "My future, as you know, is completely linked to Porto," he said.
    "I do not know of any official interest from other clubs."
    Porto's president Pinto da Costa insisted his sought-after young manager was happy in his current job and even made a personal pledge to him.
    "Out of the thousands of times that he has been asked if he would be leaving for another club, he has always responded that he is in his dream position already," he said
    "We want to see you happy in this job for many years, and we will provide you with the conditions so that this season is the first of many with the success that we all want."

Uploads

Derek McInnes - stays at St Johnstone.
    NOT TO BEE FOR DEREK McINNES

Derek McInnes is to remain as St Johnstone manager after turning down an offer from npower League One side Brentford.
    McInnes confirmed on Tuesday that he had spoken to Brentford about the vacancy created when Andy Scott departed in February.
    But the 39-year-old former Rangers and Dundee United midfielder has now rejected the opportunity to take permanent charge at Griffin Park.
    A statement on the club's official website read: "Derek McInnes has this afternoon spoken to chairman Geoff Brown and advised him that he has formally turned down the opportunity to move to Brentford FC.
    "Everyone at the club is delighted with this news and hopes that it now allows the speculation over the manager to cease and for preparations for next season to press ahead."

Uploads

Javi Martinez - staying at Bilbao.
    JAVI MARTINEZ COMMITS TO BILBAO

Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez has signed a two-year contract extension with the Primera Division outfit, the club have confirmed on their website.
    The highly-rated 22-year-old, who was part of Spain's World Cup-winning squad last summer, is now tied to the Basque giants until June 30, 2016.
    The buy-out clause in Martinez's new contract is 40 million euros.

Uploads

Craddock - awaiting new contract offer.
    CRADDOCK KEEN TO SIGN ON

Veteran Wolves defender Jody Craddock has vowed to play for another season but will wait until the summer to find out if he will be offered a new contract.
    Craddock, who will be 36 in July, was voted Wolves player of the year last season.
    He has been sidelined by injury for much of the current campaign but has been brought back by manager Mick McCarthy for the finale of the battle to avoid relegation.
    Craddock said: "I want to carry on for another year, of course I do. I feel great. My body feels great. I'm coming off after games and I don't feel injured which is nice.
    "I would assume any talks (over the future) will take place after the season. At the moment they've got more important things to worry about than players' contracts."
    Craddock helped Wolves move out of the bottom three with the weekend win over local rivals West Brom.
    He said: "It has been frustrating with the injuries but that's how it goes. I've been injured and I've had to sit on the bench a lot.
    "I'm just happy to be there for the lads and offer my support when it was needed and, now I've got my opportunity, to try and take it as best as I can."
    Craddock will face his former club Sunderland on Saturday having spent six years with the Black Cats before moving to Wolves in 2003.
    He added: "We have put ourselves in a better position for the two games to come.
    "If we had got a draw or a loss against West Brom, it would have been increasingly more difficult.
    "The important thing is it's in our own hands. We've got games we feel we can get points from and that's what we need to do.
    "We need to play the next two games like we've played against West Brom. They are two games we can win."

Uploads

Rodrigo - wanted by Coyle.
    COYLE WANTS RODRIGO REUNION

Bolton boss Owen Coyle wants to extend Benfica youngster Rodrigo's loan stay at the Reebok Stadium.
    The Portugese giants, who signed the winger from Real Madrid last summer before immediately loaning him out, are reportedly keen to command around 4m from a permanent move.
    But Coyle is unlikely to wager that large a portion of his summer spending budget on the 20-year-old and hopes to persuade his employers to let him develop further in the Premier League.
    "It's a due process and we'll go through it," Coyle told The Bolton News.
    "We like Rodrigo and if we were able to entice him back, then he will be better served by the experiences he's had."

Uploads

Dalglish - new three-year deal at Anfield.
    LIVERPOOL APPOINT DALGLISH AS BOSS

Kenny Dalglish has pledged to do his best to keep smiles on the faces of Liverpool fans for as long as he can after signing a three-year contract to become the club's manager on a permanent basis.
    Weeks of speculation were ended when it was announced that the 60-year-old Scot had signed a deal to stay on, along with coach Steve Clarke, which had become a formality very soon after he took temporary charge in January.
    That it took until the penultimate week of the season to finalise terms was of no concern to Dalglish, whose unveiling was deliberately kept low-key and formed part of his routine pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday's visit of Tottenham.
    As far as the man voted the club's greatest player is concerned, a second spell as permanent boss is a duty and an obligation he has been waiting for almost since the moment he resigned just over 20 years ago.
    There was no triumphalism or rash promises made, only a pledge to continue working to improve the club in the manner he has done since replacing Roy Hodgson four months ago.
    "We are delighted it has gone as well as it has done. Steve is as important as I am to the club - we came in as a partnership and he has made a great contribution," said Dalglish.
    "For it to go so well has really been enjoyable for us.
    "There might have been some people who were saying three or four weeks ago why is (the contract signing) not happening but we were still going about our job.
    "There has never been any problem with discussions or the timing. There was no need for anyone to dive in and make rash decisions.
    "The fact it has only happened now does not take away from our devotion or dedication to get results.
    "The place is much more stable now than it was before, the supporters have smiles on their faces and it is up to us to keep them there as long as we can.
    "But we are not going to sit here and shout our mouth off about what we are going to do."
    Director of football Damien Comolli, who back in January had been charged with finding the next permanent manager, admitted he did not even start looking.
    The Frenchman said such was the turnaround in results - only Chelsea have accrued more points than Liverpool since the turn of the year - which lifted the club from 12th to fifth it was pointless even considering finding anyone else.
    "We didn't look around. Very early on we knew Kenny was the right person and, along with Steve, we had the right coaching staff behind him," he said.
    "We were talking about man-management, playing style and attacking football and that is exactly what we have seen.
    "We have seen exactly what we thought we would see and that is why we did not speak to anyone (else).
    "I have been impressed by the way they (Dalglish and Clarke) turned it around: the quality of the football, the enthusiasm, the confidence of the players, the way Kenny managed to integrate very young players into the first team.
    "I don't think there is anyone better than Kenny who could say what the identity of the club is about.
    "And the reason no one was linked with the job was because it was a 'no-brainer'.
    Managing director Ian Ayre echoed Comolli, saying the atmosphere around the club had been transformed by Dalglish, who enjoys an exalted reputation at Anfield.
    "We have seen a turnaround in fortunes on the pitch but we have also seen something else which came back as well as Kenny and that was belief," he said.
    "Once you saw that belief it was, as Damien said, a 'no brainer'.
    "We had several meetings, pulled the agreements together, and there was never a case of any consideration, it was just an evolution over the period."
    The club's principal owner John Henry admitted just working with Dalglish had been enough to convince him they had made the right choice.
    "Kenny is a legendary Liverpool figure, both as a supremely gifted footballer and successful manager," he said.
    "Since returning in January he has shown extraordinary leadership and the ability to bring the best out of so many people associated with the club.
    "It was obvious to us very early on that the atmosphere had been transformed by his presence - no one else could have produced such a response.
    "We didn't need, nor want, to look elsewhere for the right man to manage the team.
    "Working closely with him, we've seen first-hand his love for the club and his determination to do whatever is necessary to produce a winning side again.
    "Having Kenny in the dug-out will help us in our efforts to bring the best available talent to the club as we continue to move forward."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast