Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 14-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 14-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 14-05-11

Carlos Tevez - speculation continues over his future.
    MANCINI: BE HAPPY AT CITY OR LEAVE

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini believes players such as Carlos Tevez should only stay at the club if they "believe in the project."
    Tevez's future has been in doubt ever since he handed in a transfer request last December, a request which he later withdrew.
    And although Mancini admits the Argentinian is an important player, he feels it is important players are happy at Eastlands as City look to next season's Champions League.
    "He's got a five-year contract but I always say that a player should stay here because he believes in the project and he's happy to stay at the club," Mancini told reporters.
    "But if I'm not happy to stay at City I will leave. It's the same for the players.
    "If they aren't happy to stay at the club it's better they leave. But this is not just for Carlos, it's for the players in general.
    "When you start your job you should be happy because the season is long and there could be a thousand problems.
    "I never said that Carlos wants to leave. I said it would be his decision. He has scored 22 goals and that's very important.
    "We always say he's an important player for us. But we've got this far because all the players have contributed."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 14-05-11

Carlo Ancelotti - says squad is 'really good'.
    ANCELOTTI WARNS AGAINST CLEAR-OUT

Carlo Ancelotti has warned it would be "dangerous" for Chelsea to make wholesale changes this summer, regardless of who is manager.
    Ancelotti appears resigned to losing his job after overseeing what is set to be the Blues' worst season since Roman Abramovich bought the club.
    There are also rumours several players could be moved on but Ancelotti has insisted only minor tweaks were needed and claimed ripping up his blueprint would be a big mistake.
    "To change a lot of players would be dangerous," he said.
    "The squad is really good. We had two new players in January who, next season, will be better.
    "So, to judge our season, you have to stay quiet and calm."
    Ancelotti believes the way Barclays Premier League champions-elect Manchester United reacted to surrendering the title last season proves pressing the panic button is not the way forward.
    "They finished second," he said. "They were calm, quiet, bought the right players. This year, they win."
    The two players Ancelotti bought in January were Fernando Torres and David Luiz, who arrived in a record-breaking 75million double deal.
    Torres has so far proven a huge flop while Luiz enjoyed a sensational start to life at Stamford Bridge but his form has dipped alarmingly in recent weeks.
    Ancelotti admitted it could have made all the difference had the champions managed to sign both of them last summer.
    "We were not able to do this because the other clubs, Liverpool and Benfica, wanted to start the season with these players," he said.
    "It's not always easy to play well immediately if you arrive in January."
    The end of Chelsea's realistic title ambitions has allowed Ancelotti the luxury of tinkering with his side for their final two games of the season, starting against Newcastle on Sunday.
    The Italian confirmed Torres - who the team is expected to be built around next term - would start and backed him to more than repay his 50million transfer fee during the remaining five years of his contract.
    "He will have a fantastic career here at Chelsea," Ancelotti said.
    "He had a problem but, next season, it will be really better for him.
    "He will start the season training with more knowledge about the squad, the atmosphere in the squad, so it will be easier for him to give his best."
    And Ancelotti was adamant Torres and Didier Drogba would click next season given the opportunity.
    "I'm sure Fernando and Drogba will be able to play together in the future - I'm sure," he emphasised.
    "Obviously you have to change a little bit, change the position of the midfielders a bit to put them together, and we've not had time to change our philosophy.
    "But when you start a new season, you can cope with this change."
    It is looking unlikely Ancelotti will be the man to mastermind that change and the Italian is already plotting his next move.
    "My desire is to stay here," he said.
    "But, if it's not possible, I have to find another thing. I don't need to have a rest. I want to train next season."
    Confirming he would prefer another job in England, he added: "I love the atmosphere here.
    "I think everyone respects your job. There is no violence, the stadiums are full. That's the reason I want to stay here.
    "If it's not possible, I'm Italian. If there are some opportunities in Italy, I will take them."

Uploads

David Buchanan - among those moving on.
    ACCIES AXE FALLS

Relegated Hamilton have continued their preparations for life in the Irn-Bru First Division by announcing the departures of nine members of the first-team squad.
    David Buchanan, Gary McDonald, David Elebert, Gavin Skelton and Andy Graham have all appeared regularly for the first team this season, while Mark Carrington, Tom Elliott and substitute goalkeeper Sean Murdoch join them in leaving the club.
    Grant Evans departs after spending the season on loan at Morton, while James Gibson is expected to retire after suffering a third serious knee injury in three years earlier this month.
    Aaron Wildig will return to Cardiff at the end of his loan spell.
    Meanwhile, coach Stuart Taylor and sports science coach Ross Hughes will also leave New Douglas Park.
    A statement on the club's official website read: "The club extends its grateful thanks to all of them for their service to Accies, be it a few months in some cases, or eight years in the case of Grant Evans, who arrived as a 13-year-old youth in June 2003.
    "Elebert, Gibson, Murdoch and Taylor had all been a part of the promotion team from three years ago.
    "All of them leave with our very best wishes for wherever they end up in the future."

Uploads

Riordan - uncertain future.
    CALDERWOOD IN DARK OVER RIORDAN

Hibernian manager Colin Calderwood could not shed any light on Friday on the future of Derek Riordan - a player who has been compared to 50million striker Fernando Torres.
    Riordan, whose contract at Easter Road expires at the end of the season, could make his final appearance in his second spell at Hibs in Saturday's Clydesdale Bank Premier League clash with Aberdeen.
    And Victor Palsson, who signed for Hibs from Liverpool in January, said World Cup winner Torres, now at Chelsea, has the edge over Riordan in terms of speed and strength, but not in the ability to shoot.
    Midfielder Palsson said: "He's the best finisher that I've played with. You can always trust him with the ball.
    "Sometimes he gets lazy but when he wants to work he's one of the best strikers in the SPL.
    "Derek's finishing would be similar to Fernando's finishing - Derek's finishing is that good."
    Calderwood, who has already deemed the likes of Colin Nish and John Rankin to be surplus to requirements, has repeatedly said 28-year-old Riordan's future will be determined at the end of the season.
    Asked if Saturday's match will be Riordan's final game for Hibs, Calderwood said: "I don't know.
    "He's always going to be a Hibernian favourite and I don't see this being the last game in his Hibernian career."
    Calderwood praised the ability of Riordan, who is the third highest scorer in the history of the SPL, but would not be drawn on whether the Scotland international would play under him next season.
    The Hibs boss plans to have talks with Riordan and his agent next week, and added: "I think he'll play for Hibernian again.
    "At some point I think he will leave, but I know that he'll be back because this is his club.
    "(He is a) terrific player, outstanding footballer and he's got more than what he has showed.
    "He's got a level he can play at that is beyond what even he knows he can do.
    "He gives his all, he wears his heart on his sleeve when he plays for Hibernian."
    Calderwood hopes goalkeeper Graham Stack, who is out with a shoulder injury, and midfielder Liam Miller will agree terms to stay on at Easter Road, but Ricardo Vaz Te joined on a short-term deal in February and his future remains unclear.
    Hibs will return to pre-season training on June 20 and Calderwood expects to know whether Riordan, Miller and the others are staying before then.
    Goalkeeper Mark Brown is poised to replace Jakub Divis, whose loan deal runs until January 2012, on Saturday, but defender Callum Booth is doubtful due to illness.
    The match against Aberdeen will celebrate the life of Hibs great Eddie Turnbull, who also managed the Dons and died last month, and Calderwood hopes to finish the season on a high. Hibs' only win in their last nine games was at Pittodrie.
    Calderwood added: "It's a really nice, attractive game because of his association with both clubs and brings the season to a fitting finale.
    "We hope we can entertain everyone and the supporters will pay tribute to Eddie.
    "We want to show a little bit of what we've got for next year and an improvement - we'd like to win the game."

Uploads

Coppinger (left) and Sharp (right) are wanted men.
    DONNY SNUB DOUBLE IPSWICH BID

Doncaster have rejected a joint bid from Championship rivals Ipswich in the region of 2.6million for Billy Sharp and James Coppinger.
    Chairman John Ryan has confirmed the bids - 2.3million for striker Sharp and 300,000 for midfielder Coppinger - were rejected out of hand.
    Ryan, who stressed Rovers are not interested in selling either player, said: "Sean O'Driscoll is determined to build a quality squad to go into next season and these two players are pivotal to that desire.
    "The club remains ambitious and feels that with a bit more luck with injuries and refereeing decisions we can be a real force in the Championship next season.
    "Sharp and Coppinger are without doubt wonderful players that are getting better and better. I'm very confident, if they both remain fit, they will influence our campaign in a very positive way.
    "I'm confident Billy can notch 25 goals next season, with James providing the bullets for him, along with others. Myself, the directors, the management team and the players are looking forward to a great season next term - and we're looking up rather than down."

Uploads

Mark Robins - not asked to serve notice
    ROBINS STILL TYKES BOSS - CRYNE

Barnsley owner Patrick Cryne is "more than happy" for Mark Robins to continue as Tykes manager.
    Robins, who has 12 months to run on a three-year contract, is understood to be disappointed with the money made available for team strengthening and is considering his future at Oakwell.
    But Cryne, who denied Robins had been asked to "serve his notice period", told the Sheffield Star: "No-one has terminated Mark's contract.
    "I've been in hospital all week, but as far as I'm concerned he's still the manager. I'm more than happy for Mark to stay."
    Robins, 41, met Cryne last week to discuss next season's playing budget, which is expected to be cut, and is unhappy at the constraints after leading the club to 17th place in the Championship this season - their highest finish for five years.

Uploads

Brown - heads for the exit door.
    TEN POMPEY PLAYERS SHOWN DOOR

Michael Brown and Richard Hughes head a 10-strong list of out-of-contract players who have all been released by Portsmouth.
    Brown, formerly of Sheffield United, Tottenham, Fulham and Wigan, has not played for Pompey since Boxing Day due to a clause in his contract which would have triggered a new deal, crucially, on wages the club could not afford had he made one more appearance.
    Fellow midfielder Hughes has also been let go due to a similar clause which prevented manager Steve Cotterill from playing him in another game for the Championship club, with his final appearance also coming in late December.
    Talks broke down between the pair and Portsmouth in January when a financial compromise was unable to be reached despite the club's desire to keep them on board. Both players now leave Fratton Park on free transfers.
    Brown and Hughes are joined in their release by goalkeeper Darryl Flahavan, striker Danny Webber and youngsters Marlon Pack, Pete Gregory, Tom Kilbey, Perry Ryan, Ellis Martin and Billy Goddard.

Uploads

Silva - would love Fabregas at Man City.
    SILVA DREAMS OF FABREGAS ARRIVAL

David Silva would love Spain team-mate Cesc Fabregas to join him at Manchester City.
    Fabregas' future is set to be the subject of intense speculation once again this summer following another trophyless season for Arsenal.
    Barcelona continue to be linked with the midfielder after attempting to secure his services 12 months ago, while City manager Roberto Mancini is also reported to be interested.
    Silva is fully aware of Fabregas' qualities, both on and off the field, and believes such a swoop would be ideal for City.
    "If only he could come, it would be great, marvellous," Silva said in The Sun.
    "We know what he's achieved as a player and he has a lot of experience of playing in England.
    "He likes to keep the ball and that's how we like to play. He treats the ball as his friend and I get on with him well.
    "I know him from the national side, so it would be great."

Uploads

Suarez - impressing at Liverpool.
    REDKNAPP: NO REGRETS OVER SUAREZ

Harry Redknapp has no regrets over his failure to sign Uruguay striker Luis Suarez.
    Suarez will line up for Liverpool against Tottenham at Anfield in Sunday's shoot-out for fifth place in the Premier League.
    The 24-year-old was on Redknapp's radar as the Spurs boss searched for a partner for Rafael van der Vaart, only to sign for Kenny Dalglish's team for 22.8million in January.
    Adapting swiftly to the Premier league, Suarez has fired four goals in 11 appearances and Redknapp has been impressed with his progress.
    "Suarez has done very well. We looked at him and kept looking at him. We talked about signing him," he said.
    "People felt he couldn't play as a striker and I had Rafa.
    "People said you can't play him and Rafa, you'd have two players who want to drop deep, so that was the problem.
    "But he played up front on his own the other night at Fulham and was fantastic. He looks a top player.
    "There's no regret that we didn't go in for him, that's how it goes. You can't sign everybody.
    "We had Rafa and if anything we were looking for someone to play up front with Rafa.
    "Suarez and Andy Carroll could be a real handful together next season."
    Liverpool's fortunes have been transformed under Dalglish, whose success was rewarded on Thursday with a new three-year contract.
    Redknapp is a big admirer of the Scot and believes the Reds will be a major force next season.
    "Kenny has done a great job since he's taken over," he said.
    "He's a top man, a different class, a proper legend of the game. Liverpool fans love him, he's Liverpool through and through.
    "It's a great club with a great tradition and I'm very pleased to see Kenny back in charge there.
    "Next season Liverpool will be stronger again. Suarez has done great and there's Carroll up front too.
    "Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher are the backbone of the team and they have a fantastic keeper in Pepe Reina. They have the nucleus of a very strong team."
    Finishing in fifth place brings with it a place in the Europa League, though qualifying for Europe's second tier competition is viewed by many as a hindrance rather than a benefit.
    Redknapp acknowledges the tournament is not without its difficulties, but would still love to finish above Liverpool in the Premier League.
    "You want to finish as high as you can. I want to go to Liverpool and win," he said.
    "It's important to finish as high as you can and that's fifth place for us.
    "Qualifying for the Europa League would be a double-edged sword, but I still hope we make it.
    "I want to go to Liverpool and win. You want to win every game. We want to finish above Liverpool if we can.
    "How many times has that happened? Not many. We have to do that if we can."

Uploads

Gutierrez - eyeing a future in Italy.
    GUTIERREZ REVEALS ITALIAN DREAM

Jonas Gutierrez has revealed he would one day like to play in Italy, although he admits to being happy at Newcastle for now.
    The Argentina winger played in Spain with Mallorca before joining the Magpies back in 2008.
    Although Gutierrez, 27, still has two more years to run on his current deal at St James' Park, he has serious ambitions of playing in Serie A.
    "I would love to play in Italy. It would be good to go back to Argentina in a few years and say I have played in the best three leagues in the world," said Gutierrez.
    "That would be a great achievement for me. But I do not care about that right now, it is something for the future, not an immediate priority.
    "If I get the opportunity in the future, I might want to try it to see how I fared there but I am not thinking about that now, maybe later.
    "I am 27 but have not really got my future mapped out. I am enjoying my career and I'm not thinking too much about the future. What I can say is that I want to play a few more years in Europe before returning home to Argentina.
    "I had three years in Spain, have had three here and have got another two years here and I'm really happy but you never know what might happen."
    Despite reported interest from Lazio, Gutierrez admits his main concern is to help Newcastle build on their successful first season back in the top flight.
    "All I am thinking about is that I am really happy in this league," he added.
    "More and more Argentineans are coming to play in England because they know it is the best, just like they have done in Italy for years.
    "When I was young, I always wanted to play in the English league and I am really happy to be here and I'm enjoying it.
    "I prefer playing my football here, it is more competitive although not necessarily better. The Spanish, English and Italian leagues are all good in their own right, just different."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast