Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 15-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 15-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 15-05-11

Wenger and Rice - set to stay together.
    WENGER EXPECTS RICE TO STAY ON

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is confident Pat Rice will continue as his number two next season, but maintains he is also on the lookout for a new voice in the backroom staff at the Emirates Stadium.
    Rice, 62, will see his current deal expire in the summer, and has yet to confirm future plans.
    Wenger, though, revealed the former Northern Ireland international - who played more than 500 games for the Gunners and had a spell as caretaker manager in 1996 before the Frenchman's arrival - had suggested he was ready to stay on.
    "I think Pat Rice will continue for one more year. He has told me," the Arsenal boss said.
    "It is important for me because he knows how I work. We have a good understanding. I am happy that he goes on for one more year.
    "The day he stops will be a massive loss for the club.
    "We will see, after one more year maybe he will say one more year again. We will have to prepare."
    Academy coach Steve Bould and Arsenal legend Dennis Bergkamp, currently working for Ajax, have been touted as possible new additions to Wenger's backroom team, along with former Colchester, Hull and Charlton manager Phil Parkinson, who has been doing some scouting for the club.
    Wenger admits a new voice in the dugout would not go amiss.
    He said: "Yes, we always need that and I am thinking about it as well."
    Arsenal can take a significant step towards securing third place in the Barclays Premier League ahead of FA Cup finalists Manchester City by signing off their home campaign with a victory over out-of-form Aston Villa on Sunday.
    For Wenger, though, not to be still fighting for the championship remains a difficult pill to swallow.
    "When you do not win, people always think you do not want it enough, but believe me, these people want it desperately," he said.
    "We were under pressure and we suffered under pressure.
    "We have learned, by experience, that it is important to be calm and master your nerves."
    Wenger continued: "I went for the Carling Cup thinking that winning it would ease the pressure on the players and then we will play more relaxed.
    "It worked completely against us and from then on it became more difficult.
    "Next year you can do the same and win the Carling Cup in the last minute - we have to accept that is the beauty of the game and also the cruelty of the game."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 15-05-11

Carlos Tevez - 'I want to clear my head'.
    TOUGH DECISION AHEAD FOR TEVEZ

Carlos Tevez wants to "clear his head" before deciding whether or not to stay at Manchester City.
    Tevez's future has been in doubt ever since he handed in a transfer request last December, a request which he later withdrew.
    And the Argentina international admits family issues will be vital when it comes to figuring out where his future lies.
    "It's difficult to be far from my daughters," Tevez was quoted as saying by El Mundo after helping City beat Stoke 1-0 in the FA Cup final.
    "I will think hard about what is best for me, first I want to clear my head,
    "I'm very well, very calm, but l also want to make it clear that I have no problem with the board, nor with Roberto (Mancini).
    "As there has been a lot of talk that I have a problem with Roberto, I want to clear that up.
    "If I stay at City I have to start thinking about what I can bear and it's very difficult, that's the truth."

Uploads

De Gea - no rush to make decision.
    DAVID DE GEA WILL TAKE HIS TIME

Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David De Gea will make a decision about his future at the end of June.
    De Gea has been linked with a move to Manchester United in recent months, while Atletico are keen to tie the 20-year-old down to a new contract, with his current one running until 2013.
    However, De Gea insists he is putting any thoughts about where he might be playing next term aside until after the season, with his current aim being to help Atletico get into the Europa League.
    When asked about the speculation regarding his future and what his decision would be if a club paid the 25million euros buy-out clause in his contract, De Gea told Marca: "I've not thought about this at all. I have a contract here and I will decide my future on June 30."
    He added: "I'm calm. So many things have been said about me that now I could be at any team. I don't think that talking so much is good for anyone, I could be at any team but I'm at Atletico Madrid."
    Asked how many years he might still be with the Rojiblancos, De Gea said: "If God wants I will continue many years at Atletico. I'm calm, enjoying myself here and with the objective of getting the team into Europe. I'm not thinking about anything else.
    "Atletico offered me a renewal, but until June 30 I will do a lot of thinking. Then I will talk about my future."
    De Gea, who insists he is comfortable at Atletico and that money is not always the most important thing, was also asked if he sees himself playing in the Premier League with team-mate Sergio Aguero, who has long been linked with a move to England.
    De Gea said: "No. I see myself playing with Kun...but at Atletico. Now we can only think about the two games we have left to get into Europe."
    Atletico are currently seventh in the Primera Division standings, level on 52 points with sixth-placed Sevilla and three clear of Espanyol in eighth.
    The Rojiblancos play already-relegated Hercules and then complete their season away to Real Mallorca next weekend.

Uploads

Dalglish - won't spend for sake of it.
    WE'LL SPEND WISELY - DALGLISH

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish has stressed it is not imperative for the club to spend big this summer.
    Owners Fenway Sports Group are preparing for their first extended transfer window, having only bought the club last October.
    Having sold Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel to Chelsea and Hoffenheim respectively, the Americans sanctioned the use of the 56million income to buy club record signings Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez for a combined 57.8million.
    Now Dalglish has been confirmed as permanent manager, it is natural FSG will want to back the club icon as he looks to build on the success he has enjoyed since taking control of the team in January.
    Liverpool have been linked with a whole host of players but, while there will be changes to the squad, the Reds boss has no desire to spend for the sake of it.
    "Whether it si massively or cheaply, it doesn't make any difference as long as you spend well," said the 60-year-old, whose side can secure fifth place and Europa League football with a win over Tottenham at Anfield on Sunday.
    "Budgets are all very well and good but it doesn't guarantee you anything.
    "But as long as your players are playing well you have a chance.
    "Like every other club there will be movement in and out and I am sure there will be plenty of speculation - some we might even recognise the names of.
    "We will be doing business but the better we do the business the more successful we will be."
    Director of football Damien Comolli is in charge of finding the players to bolster Dalglish's playing staff but he, like the manager, has been impressed by how the current squad have responded to the Scot's methods despite criticism earlier in the season they did not have enough quality.
    "Players going out, coming in is the game but I think we have to respect what the current players have done this season and they have done tremendously since January," said the Frenchman.
    "If you take the points average per game since January we are second in the league and that is a fantastic turnaround.
    "There are two massive games we need to play and we need to focus on those rather than talk about who is going to come in and who is going to go out - that is for later.
    "We know where we are going but we absolutely concentrate on this season."
    Comolli was responsible for conducting the negotiations which brought Carroll and Suarez to Anfield but he said the way the top-level management structure operated pointed to further success.
    And the development of players from the academy, with the likes of teenagers John Flanagan and Jack Robinson being given their chance by Dalglish, was an unexpected positive so early in FSG's reign.
    "Since Kenny came in we have shown to ourselves and the outside world that the four of us - I include the two owners (John Henry and Tom Werner) - work very well together when it is crunch time and big decision time.
    "That is what we did in January and I think we enjoyed that moment - all the decisions we made in January have started to pay off and hopefully it will pay off in the long term as well.
    "Coming back to the young players, it is an absolutely fantastic motivation for everyone involved at the academy that we have three to four - five sometimes - who are coming from the academy.
    "That is a very strong statement and just that unified the club massively."
    Dalglish agreed, adding: "The young lads have been fantastic coming and training with us and that is really rewarding.
    "For us it is refreshing to see young players coming through and the first-team players enjoy seeing them come through. In a strange way it gives them a lift.
    "The boys in general have been fantastic, especially recently, but we are not going to shout our mouth off about that.
    "We will just go about our job, go about preparation for the Tottenham game which is the most important thing."
    Carroll could make a return to the squad tomorrow, having missed two of the last three matches with a knee injury, but is likely to have to settle for a place on the bench.

Uploads

Manuel Neuer - set for Bayern move.
    BAYERN: MANUEL NEUER DEAL AGREED

Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness has announced that an agreement has been reached for the signing of Manuel Neuer from Schalke, but says official confirmation will come when Schalke are ready.
    The Germany international will reportedly join the Bavarians for a fee of 15million euros, with more instalments owing depending on success, but the move can only be ratified when the Gelsenkirchen club see fit.
    "Our board have reached an agreement with Schalke in negotiations and it is just a psychological question of whether they want to announce it before the cup final or afterwards," Hoeness told Sky television.
    Neuer has already announced that he will not be extending his contract with the Royal Blues beyond 2012 and Bayern's offer has been on the table for some time now.
    Representatives from both clubs met in Berlin last week and a deal is believed to have been struck, but Schalke appear to want to end the season before speaking out on their keeper's future.
    But Hoeness has beaten them to it by announcing the transfer of the Germany number one, who will seemingly now play his last game for Schalke in the DFB-Pokal final against Duisburg next weekend.

Uploads

Karim Benzema - not thinking of a move.
    BENZEMA AGENT DENIES EXIT TALK

Karim Benzema's agent has denied reports the France international wants to leave Real Madrid this summer.
    Benzema, who after initially struggling to live up to his 35million euro price tag has netted 21 goals in his last 27 competitive appearances for Madrid, has been linked in the British media with a possible switch to Arsenal.
    It had been suggested that the 23-year-old Benzema, who could be competing against the fit-again Gonzalo Higuain, Cristiano Ronaldo and possibly a new signing at Madrid next season, wants to leave the Bernabeu if he is not guaranteed more playing time.
    However, the player's agent Karim Djaziri told Spanish newspaper AS today: "At no moment has Benzema thought about leaving Real Madrid.
    "He has not asked me to negotiate with any club. Karim only wants to continue at Madrid and build on his recent good performances."

Uploads

Diego Maradona - talks in Dubai reported.
    DIEGO MARADONA LEAVES UAE

Diego Maradona flew out of the United Arab Emirates on Sunday after reportedly meeting officials of Dubai-based club Al Wasl with a view to becoming their new manager.
    Maradona has not managed since he left the Argentina post after last summer's World Cup but spent the weekend in Dubai amid speculation he was set to sign a two-year deal.
    The 50-year-old attended a club training session last night after which the club revealed they expected to name their new boss "in the next 24 hours".
    Should that be the case it does not look like the former Argentina international will be at any formal unveiling after a post on the club's official Twitter page revealed he had left the country.
    "The legend, Maradona left Dubai for Spain," the Twitter post read.
    Al Wasl sit fourth in the UAE table and have been without a permanent manager since they sacked Brazilian Sergio Farias last month.

Uploads

Carlo Ancelotti waves to the Chelsea fans after the game.
    ANCELOTTI WON'T WAVE GOODBYE YET

Carlo Ancelotti continued to maintain his Chelsea fate was not sealed after what looks set to be his final home game in charge against Newcastle.
    Ancelotti took part in the customary lap of honour at Stamford Bridge following Sunday afternoon's 2-2 Barclays Premier League draw and waved to supporters as they chanted 'Carlo, Carlo'.
    But, despite looking emotional as he walked around the pitch, he was adamant he had not been waving goodbye and even claimed he felt he could yet see out the final year of his contract.
    "I don't know what will happen," he said.
    "We have to wait just one week. A week is not a long period."
    He added: "You are asking me a question I'm not able to answer. You have to propose this question to the club, not myself. I cannot give an answer."
    The Italian's team selection on Sunday certainly suggested he was planning for next season as he took an axe to his side.
    But despite a bright start which saw Branislav Ivanovic score inside two minutes, the experiment failed and Newcastle deserved their draw, even if it came in stoppage-time.
    Billionaire owner Roman Abramovich did not look impressed as he watched on from the Stamford Bridge directors' box, and it is the Russian who will ultimately decide his manager's fate.
    Ancelotti said: "It is the club that has to take a decision and judge my job.
    "If my job was good, I will stay. If they think it was not good, I will have to go.
    "In my opinion, sometimes I did a good job, sometimes I could do better."
    Although the stadium was more than half-empty by the time Chelsea's lap of honour took place, those remaining were appreciative of the team's efforts at the end of what is the club's worst season of the Abramovich era.
    "I want to say thanks to our supporters," said Ancelotti.
    "Here, also, they gave me fantastic support. For all this season, even when the moment was not so good, they stayed close to the team and to the players.
    "My emotion? I don't know what happens and I want to wait. After that I can explain."
    Ancelotti admitted Chelsea's performance summed up their season as they twice threw away the lead.
    Jonas Gutierrez inadvertently cancelled out Ivanovic's opener and Steven Taylor netted at the death after Alex looked to have grabbed the winner.
    Ancelotti said: "We started the game well, playing well and scoring, and were unlucky to concede.
    "We had a lot of difficulties but scored again. We needed more concentration at the end. We've conceded in the last minute a lot of times this season. We've lost a lot of points that way.
    "When you concede a lot of goals in the last minute, something is wrong."

Uploads

Warnock - hoping to end speculation.
    NEIL WARNOCK: I'M GOING NOWHERE

QPR manager Neil Warnock has moved to end speculation over his future by insisting he will be in charge of the club in the Barclays Premier League next season.
    Warnock, 62, was responding to rumours that the Loftus Road board were considering the appointment of a big-name manager, with Marcelo Lippi and Claudio Ranieri reported to have been among possible targets.
    But in a statement on www.qpr.co.uk, former Sheffield United boss Warnock said: "I want to reiterate to our supporters that, having spoken to the board at QPR - Bernie Ecclestone, Flavio Briatore and Amit Bhatia - in the last few days, they have assured me that my future is not in any doubt whatsoever and they're looking forward to helping me acquire the players to make next season just as successful as the one we've just enjoyed.
    "Hopefully all the speculation now will be put to bed once and for all and we can concentrate on what promises to be a memorable first season back in the Premier League for the club and our supporters."
    Warnock steered QPR to npower Championship safety after being appointed two months before the end of the 2009/10 campaign and then led Rangers back to the top flight for the first time since 1996 in his first full season in charge.

Uploads

Giggs and Scholes celebrate Premier League success.
    GILL: PAUL SCHOLES COULD RETIRE

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has admitted he would not be surprised if Paul Scholes quit at the end of the season.
    Scholes helped secure his 10th Premier League title on Saturday when he was introduced as a second-half substitute in United's 1-1 draw at Ewood Park.
    Manager Sir Alex Ferguson is eager for Scholes to sign a one-year contract extension, like long-time team-mate Ryan Giggs.
    However, the 36-year-old has his reservations after starting just 22 games in all competitions this term and has so far given no indication about his future plans.
    United have no intention of rushing the midfielder into a decision and Gill, like his manager, would prefer Scholes to continue.
    However, speaking to BBC Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme, Gill has admitted Scholes could opt to follow fellow old-stager Gary Neville into retirement.
    "It wouldn't surprise us if Paul Scholes retired," said Gill.
    "On the hand, we are enjoying the success we are having, so at the end of the season, he will have a conversation with Sir Alex about that.
    "I am sure he will let us know his decision and we will respect it.
    "He has been a brilliant player for many years.
    "It is interesting that while Ryan got his 12th title yesterday, that was Paul's 10th.
    "It shows what he has achieved for us and what an absolutely fantastic player he has been."
    The uncertainty over Scholes' future merely adds to the confusion over United's summer plans.
    Long-serving defender Wes Brown seems certain to leave, as does Michael Owen, whose two-year deal expires this summer.
    Owen Hargreaves is another who appeared destined for the Old Trafford exit door, although it is thought he is considering a one-year pay-as-you-play deal to remain with United.
    Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley are both expected to return from impressive loan spells at Sunderland and Wigan respectively, while star names in the form of Wesley Sneijder and Ashley Young continue to be linked with an Old Trafford move.
    It does seem Ferguson knows who he wants to replace Edwin van der Sar, though.
    Tomasz Kuszczak's hesitant performance at Blackburn yesterday merely emphasised how important it is that Ferguson gets his choice correct when the 40-year-old retires this summer.
    And, although Gill did not name Atletico Madrid's David de Gea, after all the intense speculation surrounding the 20-year-old, it does appear he was the man being referred to in the chief executive's upbeat assessment of the situation.
    "We know the keeper we want," said Gill. "We are in a good situation with that and it will progress at the end of the season.
    "It is not as though it is a surprise that Edwin is retiring.
    "We have been associated with all the top goalkeepers in Europe for the last six to 12 months.
    "We have made the decision and I am sure we can get the deal done."
    Of course, the major upheaval will come when Ferguson decides to end his own career, although the United boss has already confirmed that will not be this summer.
    Jose Mourinho has long been touted as a potential successor but the undignified manner with which he dealt with recent clashes against Barcelona has raised major question marks over whether he is the right man for the job.
    Gill, understandably, was reluctant to get drawn into that debate. However, he did admit Mourinho's conduct would be discussed should United ever ponder making an appointment.
    "I am not going to speculate about what is going to happen," said Gill.
    "That is in the future and it is wrong to speak about other clubs and their situation.
    "We will discuss that internally and whatever impact that would have if he was in the frame many years down the line."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast