Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 17-05-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 17-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 17-05-11

David Platt - hoping for 'successful summer'.

Manchester City could now be on the radar of the world's best players, according to David Platt.
    The first-team coach believes they are a top target after securing a place in the Champions League and winning the FA Cup.
    City will overtake Arsenal and move into third place if they beat Stoke on Tuesday night - and that position in the table means automatic entry to Europe's elite club competition.
    Platt said: "By winning something but perhaps more importantly by securing Champions League qualification, we will hopefully become more attractive to players.
    "These are the kind of players that give us that next step up in quality. Hopefully, we'll manage to have a successful summer in terms of attracting some targets that we've got.
    "We've got to make sure that we go for people that we feel can add quality and depth to the squad."
    City aim to kick on next season after ending a 35-year wait for a trophy and challenge Manchester United for the title.
    But Platt insists winning silverware year-on-year is more important than occasionally getting the better of their neighbours.
    He said: "Progression is to go and compete for the title but nobody's turning around and bragging about that at all.
    "City have had to suffer in the shadow of a club that's been magnificent. They won the league on Saturday so you can't take anything away from them.
    "We won't be on a level with them until we start winning trophies on a regular basis. But to be in and around United, to compete with them, is tremendous for us.
    "But the end result isn't necessarily to outdo Manchester United. The end result is to win trophies."
    Yaya Toure, who scored the winning goal against Stoke at Wembley, is determined to finish the season with a swagger.
    City close their campaign by facing Bolton on Sunday at the Reebok Stadium and the midfielder is eager to take maximum points from both games.
    He said: "We are already in the Champions League but to finish ahead of Arsenal in third place would be fantastic.
    "I am so happy at the moment with the way things are going and seeing how much winning a trophy means to our supporters.
    "Our dressing room is a great place to be. We are all together, we all fight for the team and that is so important."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 17-05-11

McClaren - no West Ham move.

Former England boss Steve McClaren has announced he does not want to be considered for the vacant manager's job at West Ham.
    The club's co-owners, David Gold and David Sullivan, sacked Avram Grant after Premier League relegation was confirmed following Sunday's defeat to Wigan.
    McClaren, who was dismissed by Wolfsburg earlier in the season, was soon strongly linked with the role but insists he has no plans to take the Upton Park hotseat.
    He said in a statement to Sky Sports News: "It is very flattering to be linked with a club of West Ham's size and historic stature, also one that has tremendous fans.
    "However, at this moment in time I do not wish to be considered for the position. But I wish everybody at West Ham all the very best for the future."
    Former Newcastle manager Chris Hughton, ex-West Ham players Slaven Bilic and Paulo di Canio, and Sam Allardyce, who was sacked by Blackburn in December, have also been linked with the job.

David Sullivan - regrets Avram Grant appointment.

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan has admitted the appointment of Avram Grant as the club's manager last summer was a "bad selection" by the board.
    The Hammers' relegation from the Barclays Premier League was confirmed on Sunday after they squandered a 2-0 lead at fellow strugglers Wigan to lose 3-2.
    West Ham wasted no time in removing Grant, the Israeli dismissed within an hour of the final whistle at the DW Stadium, and Sullivan said the board is clear on what they expect from his successor.
    "Avram is a lovely person but the results sadly speak for themselves that it was a bad selection by the board," Sullivan told The Sun.
    "We all share some blame for the results - the board, the manager and the team.
    "However, the team can only play the tactics and formation they are asked to play.
    "We want a manager who will get the best out of the squad and foster a strong team spirit."
    Sullivan also moved to ease fears that relegation from the top flight would have dire financial implications for the club.
    "Debts will fall as we [the owners] will put in more money," he said.
    "The financial burden to us and our families will rise, not the debts of the club."

Ben Foster - hinted he'd like to stay at Birmingham.

Goalkeeper Ben Foster has hinted he wants to remain at Birmingham after capping his first season by being voted player of the year by his team-mates and supporters.
    The Carling Cup winners could be relegated from the Barclays Premier League this weekend if they are overhauled by either Wigan or Blackpool in the final round of matches.
    Foster has enjoyed an outstanding campaign and scooped the double award at City's awards ceremony at the NIA on Monday night.
    When asked if he would be prepared to play in the npower Championship, Foster said: "I want to stay at Birmingham City.
    "I've loved this season. It's been a great season for me personally.
    "I know we're in a bit of a fight at the moment and we've got a massive match on Sunday.
    "But no-one is thinking of being in the Championship next season and we need to get three points on Sunday (at Tottenham."
    Foster knows how crucial top-flight survival is to City who are only above the bottom three on goal difference.
    He said: "If you asked the fans which they would rather have, the Carling Cup after so long without a trophy or the Premier League, they'd probably be split.
    "But staying in the Premier League is so important to every team that's here at the minute.
    "Everybody knows that the financial things that come along with the Premier League are so huge.
    "To retain our Premier League status is so important not just for us but also the people behind the scenes."
    Foster revealed he has delayed surgery on his thumb to play the final six months of the campaign.
    He has also suffered from a back problem and insists concerns over his physical condition are the only reason he is taking a break from England duty.
    He said: "I've had a lot of niggling injuries in the second half of the season including a bad back and I've injured a thumb which has needed operating on for about six weeks.
    "I've managed to get through it with a pain-killing injection.
    "I love playing for England and making my debut was the proudest moment of my career.
    "But in order for me to turn out on a Saturday afternoon for Birmingham, it is important I get the chance to rest my body."
    Midfielder Jordon Mutch, who had a successful loan spell at Watford, was voted City's young player of the year.

Grant - dismissed after West Ham's relegations.

West Ham co-owner David Gold insists the club will not be rushed into appointing a successor to Avram Grant.
    Grant was sacked shortly after Sunday's 3-2 injury-time defeat at Wigan, a result that confirmed the Hammers' relegation from the Barclays Premier League.
    Former England coach Steve McClaren leads the betting to take over at Upton Park, while Chris Hughton, Neil Warnock, Gus Poyet and Sam Allardyce are also in the frame.
    First-team coach Kevin Keen has been placed in temporary charge and will oversee preparations for the final game of the season against Sunderland.
    Gold admits selecting the right candidate to steer the club out of the npower Championship is imperative.
    "The sooner the better because we have a lot of work to do - an enormous amount of work - but we mustn't be rushed," Gold told Sky Sports News.
    "This will be a very, very important appointment.
    "We're choosing a manager good enough to get us out of this division and capable of continuing once we've achieved that.
    "Now relegation is known this is one of the reasons we moved quickly. It's important we have time for the CVs to come into us.
    "I'm sure many, many managers will see the job as challenging and exciting and it's important we pick the right person.
    "We're also prepared for the most exciting venture in the history of the club in the sense that we'll be moving to a new stadium, which is something we've never done.
    "All these challenges have got to be addressed, so it's important we pick the right person."
    Gold is scathing in his analysis of Grant, giving credence to the belief the Israeli struggled to inspire his players.
    "Everything seemed okay to me when I visited the training ground, but my visits are quite short otherwise I get accused of interfering and that's the last thing I'd want to be accused of," he said.
    "I'd be in the dressing room before a match and the training ground for half a day and what I saw was professionalism - but that's only what I saw."
    The departure of West Ham's top players is inevitable, yet Gold will not let them leave without a fight.
    Scott Parker and Rob Green will lead the exodus, while the contracts of Matthew Upson, Kieron Dyer, Danny Gabbidon and Lars Jacobsen expire this season.
    On-loan Wayne Bridge and Robbie Keane will return to their clubs as a summer of upheaval at Upton Park beckons.
    "We will do everything in our power to keep our best players," said Gold.
    "It will be very difficult to ask an international to come and play in the Championship when traditionally England players aren't picked from the Championship.
    "By the same token I'd hasten to add that we're not in any hurry to sell.
    "We must receive the proper amount of compensation for any player we sell and if we don't then that player will stay with us in the Championship."
    Gold insists the "grieving" process over West Ham's relegation must soon give way to a determination to secure an immediate return to the Premier League.
    "We must prepare a squad of players to get us back into the Premier League," he said.
    "West Ham is a great club with a great tradition. Our fans are all hurting and feeling sorry for ourselves now and so am I.
    "We're entitled to grieve and that can go on for a couple of days or maybe a couple of weeks, but sooner or later we have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and start talking about promotion.
    "We've got to do everything in our power to get back into the Premier League as soon as possible."
    (reopens) Former West Ham left-back Julian Dicks tonight revealed he fancies the challenge of reviving his old club's fortunes.
    Dicks, now 42, had two long playing spells with West Ham and his hard-man playing style made him a big favourite of the supporters.
    Now in charge of non-league Grays Athletics, Dicks admitted it is a big jump to Championship level.
    "Of course it is but that's not saying I can't do the job," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.
    "I'd love to have the chance to do the job."

Reina - belief is back.

Goalkeeper Jose Reina has committed himself to Liverpool's "project" having sought reassurances from director of football Damien Comolli about transfer plans for the summer.
    The Spain international admitted last week he had been unsure of his own future five months ago with the side languishing in 12th place in the Premier League and morale at an all-time low.
    However, the arrival of Kenny Dalglish, who signed a three-year contract on Thursday, the turnaround in results and atmosphere and the promise of significant investment in the squad persuaded the 28-year-old to stay at a club he admits he does not want to leave.
    "In recent weeks I believe we are going in the right direction and we have to keep it like that," said Reina, who also briefly spoke to principal owner John Henry after the 2-0 defeat at home to Tottenham.
    "Next season it will be more positive and the quicker we react and improve the better it will be for the club.
    "It won't change as quickly as night follows day, it may take a little while, but we are optimistic.
    "I think the owners are preparing a big summer and hopefully we are going to be right in there with transfers and those players who are coming in will help us to improve the squad.
    "I have been talking to Comolli as well, asking about the future, and I believe in this club and the project.
    "In December and January I think most of the people, not just us players, were doubting we were good enough.
    "I never felt I had to leave because I wanted to believe in the project but the situation was not nice and the mood around the place was not good.
    "Fortunately that is not the case any more and we are prepared to take the next step forward and that is where we have to look now.
    "It is not about the past, it is about the bright future we have in front of us.
    "I am happy here and my family really wanted to stay because we are happy."
    Sunday's defeat to Tottenham, courtesy of a Rafael van der Vaart volley and Luka Modric's controversially-awarded penalty, handed the advantage to Harry Redknapp's side in the race for the final Europa League place.
    The Londoners now have a one-point lead heading into the final weekend of the season.
    Reina admits they missed their chance to secure fifth place against Spurs, who inflicted Dalglish's first home defeat since he returned as manager in January.
    But he stressed they would not give up the fight, even if there is a train of thought which suggests Liverpool would be better off not qualifying for Europe in order to concentrate their efforts on the league and fighting their way back into Champions League contention.
    "We had it in our hands but we messed it up," said the goalkeeper.
    "It is still not finished. Spurs still have to play Birmingham, which is not easy for them as they are fighting against relegation.
    "The main thing is to keep fighting and win our game at Villa, which is also not going to be easy.
    "Fifth position looks as close as ever. We want to play in Europe, I cannot be clearer.
    "Liverpool is about Europe and being involved in every single competition. Being in those gives us the chance to win them.
    "We are optimistic knowing that we have to improve and there are plenty of things to improve."

Neil Lennon - has a fan in Brown.

Celtic captain Scott Brown wants Neil Lennon to be confirmed as next season's manager before Saturday's Scottish Cup final.
    Despite a fraught campaign which saw him targeted with suspected parcel bombs, the subject of an alleged assault at Tynecastle last week, and the intended recipient of bullets through the post, resulting in him receiving constant police and private security protection, Lennon led Celtic to second place in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League as Rangers won the title by one point.
    And, ahead of Saturday's Hampden final against Motherwell, Brown reiterated the players' support for Lennon, who is on a six-month rolling contract at Parkhead, and called for his long-term future to be resolved.
    Brown wrote on "I think everyone within the squad wants the manager to stay on and continue the good work we've achieved this season.
    "If we could head into the final knowing for certain he was our boss for next season and hopefully beyond it would be a huge bonus.
    "He's a terrific gaffer and the whole squad loves working for him.
    "Obviously we didn't manage to win the league back this year and we're all hugely disappointed with that.
    "But I think it would give the club a huge lift if the gaffer was handed an extension to his deal because it's what we all want.
    "No-one wants it to drag into the summer."

Daum - 'no future for me' at club.

Christoph Daum has quit as coach of Eintracht Frankfurt just two days after the club's relegation from the Bundesliga was confirmed.
    The 57-year-old was at the helm for less than two months following his appointment as the successor to the sacked Michael Skibbe on March 22.
    Daum took charge of just seven games in that period but failed to manage a victory, his record of three draws and four defeats leaving the club doomed to the drop.
    Their fate was sealed on Saturday with a 3-1 loss at new champions Borussia Dortmund, and Daum today confirmed he would not be the man to guide them in the 2.Bundesliga next term.
    "Frankfurt should start their Bundesliga comeback with another coach," Daum said at a hastily-arranged press conference.
    "There was no future for me, even though the club and the team are dear to my heart."
    Daum, who led Stuttgart to the 1992 Bundesliga title and has also won championships in Turkey and Austria, only had a deal until the end of the season but had been given guarantees of an extension in the event the club avoided relegation.
    After winning eight games in the first half of the season, Frankfurt's form dipped alarmingly after the winter break, with a run of just one win in 10 prompting the removal of Skibbe.
    Former Bayer Leverkusen and Cologne coach Daum took charge with the club lying in 14th place in the table, three points clear of the relegation zone, but his appointment failed to have the desired affect as the club's form took another nosedive.
    Daum's departure was later confirmed by Frankfurt on their official website,
    "In a short press conference Christoph Daum said that he could not continue as coach of Eintracht Frankfurt," the statement read.
    "This followed long discussions with chairman Heribert Bruchhagen, after which it was decided by consensus that Eintracht Frankfurt should start their comeback with a new coach in charge.
    "Christoph Daum [believes] Eintracht Frankfurt will soon be playing top-flight football again, and thanked not only the players but also the fans of Eintracht Frankfurt, who were very dear to him."

David Robertson - joins St Johnstone.

St Johnstone have confirmed the signing of midfielder David Robertson on a free transfer from Dundee United.
    The 24-year-old, who won the Scottish Cup with United in 2010, has signed a two-year deal to move to McDiarmid Park.
    A statement on St Johnstone's official website read: "The club are delighted to announce the signing of attacking midfielder David Robertson.
    "David ends a nine-year association with Dundee United to join St Johnstone and Derek McInnes sees the 24-year-old as a player who can provide another midfield option and hopefully one which will provide a few goals."
    The former Scotland Under-19 and Under-21 international made 145 appearances for United after making his first-team debut in January 2006.
    Speaking after his final game for United, Sunday's 2-1 win over Hearts at Tannadice, Robertson said: "Although it is very hard to leave Dundee United, I'm really looking forward to next season and I believe it is the right move for me.
    "I needed a change of scenery and I think St Johnstone can do well next season. I have been at Dundee United for 10 years now, eight of which as a professional, so I'm looking forward to something new.
    "It will be strange going into a new dressing room but I'm sure I can cope with it and hopefully I can do well from the start of the season."

Del Neri - no talk of stepping down.

Juventus coach Luigi Del Neri dismissed any suggestions he will step down despite his team looking like missing out on European football next season.
    Sunday's 1-0 defeat at Parma left the Turin giants seventh in Serie A, three points behind Roma, who hold the last Europa League qualifying spot with one game remaining.
    "Barring a miracle, we are out of Europe," said a disappointed Del Neri. "But I don't want to talk about stepping down, absolutely not.
    "I am under contract and I remain in the project.
    "I do my job in the best possible way but it will be the club that has the final say."
    Del Neri, who is in his first season at Juve, is under contract with the club until June 2012.
    The former Chievo tactician has endured a difficult campaign, with injuries and a lack of continuity hindering Juve.
    "Our fortunes have not been decided in the penultimate match," said Del Neri. "We didn't play well against Parma but it has been an unusual campaign.
    "We have made a lot of mistakes throughout the campaign.
    "We are all disappointed as we would have liked to have ended the season differently.
    "But now we have to try to beat Napoli and we will see what happens."
    Juve need to beat third-place Napoli and hope Roma lose at home to already-relegated Sampdoria this weekend if they are to play in Europe next season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast