Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 18-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 18-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 18-05-11

Stekelenburg - only received offer from Ajax.
    STEKELENBURG CRAZY FOR UNITED

Holland goalkeeper Maarten Stekelenburg has admitted he would be "insane" if he did not want to play for Manchester United, but insists the only offer he currently has on the table is to stay at Ajax.
    With Edwin van der Sar due to retire at the end of the season, the man who replaced him in the Dutch national team has been strongly linked with a move to Old Trafford.
    After celebrating claiming the Eredivisie title with Ajax on Sunday - during which he echoed Sergio Ramos by dropping the trophy - Stekelenburg said he is considering a new contract offer from the Amsterdammers, but admitted he would like to hear from United.
    "I have received a fantastic offer from Ajax which is under consideration," he told NUsport magazine.
    "There has been nothing else, zero. Maybe because I have been injured."
    But he added: "Anybody who does not want to play for Manchester United would be insane."
    Stekelenburg has one year left to run on his contract at the Amsterdam ArenA, but says he is in no rush to finalise his future as he waits to see if other offers materialise.
    "I wanted to see how things develop," he said. "Nothing has happened, so I will talk with Ajax. I have had a fantastic time here and I have great respect for the board.
    "I have always been treated very well. They have made a fantastic offer, and a second meeting is scheduled. But it has to do with whether anything else might come my way."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 18-05-11

Robert Pires - out of contract at Aston Villa.
    PIRES REVEALS MLS INTEREST

Aston Villa midfielder Robert Pires revealed he has received a plea from former Arsenal team-mate Thierry Henry to join him in Major League Soccer next season.
    The 37-year-old Frenchman signed a short-term contract with Villa in October and will be a free agent in the summer.
    Pires will now speak to Villa to find out if he has a future at the midlands club.
    "Thierry has phoned me. He called me up and said 'come over and play with me' but there are no real offers yet," Pires told the Birmingham Mail.
    "For the moment, there is nothing else because the Premier League is not yet finished for the season.
    "I will wait until it is finished. I am relaxed about it. I still feel fit enough to play."
    Pires added: "I've not yet had talks with Villa about staying here after July (when his contract runs out).
    "I should know soon hopefully. I have an appointment with Gerard Houllier soon. I hope so and I also hope that Gerard can stay (after his heart problem).
    "But I will still play football even if it is not at Aston Villa. If it is not at Villa, I will look for somewhere different."
    Pires has had a limited impact impact in his eight months at Villa, making only four starts.

Uploads

Poyet - West Ham link is 'just rumours'.
    POYET WON'T APPLY FOR HAMMERS JOB

Brighton manager Gus Poyet has ruled himself out of the West Ham job as club co-owner David Sullivan vows to get the right man to resurrect the Upton Park club.
    The Hammers have vowed to have their new boss appointed by the end of the month as they look to bounce back from the npower Championship at the first attempt.
    The Irons' finally wielded the axe on Avram Grant - only appointed during the summer - after relegation from the Barclays Premier League was confirmed on Sunday after they squandered a 2-0 lead at fellow strugglers Wigan to lose 3-2.
    Former England manager Steve McClaren has already ruled himself out of the running, with Martin O'Neill reported to be head of the wanted list again, the board having offered the Northern Irishman the job during January only to be turned down.
    Poyet had been linked with the vacancy after steering the Seagulls to the League One title but has ruled himself out of the running.
    The 43-year-old Uruguayan told Sky Sports News: "No chance. I can promise I will never apply for a job during my time at another club, especially at a club like Brighton where I'm so happy to be.
    "It would be really silly on my part to apply for any other job. I promise you at the moment there is nothing, just rumours."
    Sullivan admitted the appointment of former Chelsea and Portsmouth manager Grant following the dismissal of Gianfranco Zola was a "bad selection" by the board - and it is not a mistake they intend to make again as the east London club face up to life back outside the elite clubs of English football.
    "We will wait to see who applies and wait to see what happens generally, but it will be resolved within two weeks, I should think," Sullivan said.
    "I think we will definitely get an English manager, or a British manager.
    "We do need someone who understands the culture and if you get someone with a knowledge of the East End that's so much better."
    Sam Allardyce, sacked by Blackburn in December, has also been linked with the vacancy, along with former Chelsea midfielder Roberto di Matteo, the ex-West Brom manager, would both appear to have been ruled out by Sullivan's comments over the need for a home-grown boss.
    Chris Hughton - who guided Newcastle straight back up and to mid-table in the Barclays Premier League before his untimely axe at St James Park earlier this season - and Watford boss Malky Mackay are both former West Ham players, so are expected to be in the frame,
    Neil Warnock and Paul Lambert already have top-flight football ahead with Queen's Park Rangers and Norwich next season, so it is unlikely either would jump at the chance to oversee one more campaign battling to get out of the Championship - and at a club burden by a multi-million pound debt.
    Paulo di Canio achieved cult status during a four-year spell with the Irons from 1999 to 2003 and has a lounge named after him at Upton Park.
    The Italian's appointment would certainly be a popular move with supporters.
    However, Sullivan insists emotions cannot play any part in what is likely to be the club's most important managerial decision for a decade.
    "The problem with Paolo is, although the fans would love it, I am being realistic and he has no experience whatsoever being a manager," Sullivan added.
    "If you look at first-season managers the failure rate is enormous.
    "If he had done a season anywhere and was, say, top of Serie B in Italy with a team, I would take the chance.
    "My heart would say Paolo and the fans would say Paolo - but with someone who is a complete novice as a manager, with no experience, you just can't go with it."
    West Ham are already burdened by massive debts, so the loss of much-needed television revenue is set to hit hard.
    Sullivan, though, maintains he and co-owner David Gold, both life-long fans, will inject more cash to keep the club afloat as they look to get back into the Premier League at the first time of asking.
    There will, however, be no escaping a fire-sale at Upton Park, with England internationals Robert Green, Matthew Upson, Carlton Cole and Scott Parker, the FWA Footballer of the Year, all set to leave.

Uploads

Mancini and Tevez after Man City's 3-0 win against Stoke.
    MANCINI: TEVEZ WANTS TO STAY

Roberto Mancini has claimed star man Carlos Tevez has told him he wants to stay at Manchester City.
    Tevez's future has been in doubt since he handed in a transfer request earlier in the season.
    Immediately after the FA Cup final defeat of Stoke on Saturday, the South American claimed he had to decide where his future lay due to family problems.
    However, in the aftermath of his side's 3-0 win over Stoke at Eastlands this evening, in which Tevez scored twice, Mancini said he will be staying at Eastlands.
    "He has a five-year contract and has told us he wants to stay," said Mancini.
    "He said that before. He never had any problem."
    Mancini's words do seem to have added a huge amount of confusion that was expected to be a straightforward summer exit for Spain or Italy, particularly as the City chief is referring to conversations when, publicly at least, Tevez has said his future is undecided.
    "Carlos has scored 20 goals this season. Every time we say Carlos is an important player. Carlos is Carlos. He is a fantastic striker and a fantastic player for us. I think he will stay here next year. He doesn't have a problem," he said.
    "I spoke with him many times in the last 20 days. It is my opinion that Carlos stays here next season.
    "In December he had a problem. But everyone can change his opinion.
    "I don't know what his representatives think.
    "Carlos is an important player here. The feeling for him is good.
    "Nowhere else can he find behaviour that all people have for him."

Uploads

Defoe - wants a more regular role.
    DEFOE ADMITS TO SPURS FRUSTRATION

Jermain Defoe has admitted to growing frustrated by a lack of first-team opportunities at Tottenham.
    The England striker has dropped out of Harry Redknapp's first-choice XI this season as he has struggled for goals, with only four in the league all campaign.
    "I want to help the club achieve things, win trophies and get in the Champions League, but when you feel like you are working hard, training hard and being professional, and then for some reason you are not playing, it is difficult," Defoe told Sky Sports News.
    "It is frustrating. At the end of the day I am ambitious. I want to play in every game and score goals, especially when you score goals for a fantastic club like Tottenham.
    "I have always been like that from the first day I walked through the door and I truly believe that if I am playing games I will score goals. I think my record shows that.
    "It has been really, really hard to be honest.
    "Players come and go, that is just football and it is out of my hands."
    The 28-year-old insisted he remains committed to Tottenham, but admitted he may have to reconsider his future if he cannot get back in the team.
    "If you speak to any of the players and the fans, they will tell you that I am committed to the club," he said.
    "I love the club and I still get the same buzz that I did when I first walked out at White Hart Lane, which is important.
    "But for me the main thing is playing football and if I am not playing football then I am not happy, because I love my football."

Uploads

Andre Villas - linked with Chelsea.
    VILLAS-BOAS SHUNS CHELSEA LINK

The calls for Andre Villas-Boas to replace Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti will increase if he leads Porto to victory in the Europa League final, but the 33-year-old insisted on the eve of the game that he is not seeking a move from the Portuguese champions.
    A remarkable first year in charge of Porto has led the rookie manager to the brink of winning four trophies in his first full term in management.
    Porto plucked Villas-Boas from Academica Coimbra to replace the hugely-experienced Jesualdo Ferreira at the end of last season and he has not disappointed, claiming the Portuguese Super Cup before winning the league unbeaten with five games to spare.
    Villas-Boas will get his hands on his third piece of silverware with victory over Braga in Wednesday night's Europa League final in Dublin before having the chance to add a fourth with this weekend's Portuguese Cup final.
    Chelsea are reportedly monitoring the progress of a man who previously worked alongside Jose Mourinho at Stamford Bridge, with Ancelotti seemingly heading for an exit after a disappointing trophyless season.
    But Villas-Boas insists he wants to try and emulate Mourinho's achievement of making Porto a force to be reckoned with in the Champions League next season, rather than leave for pastures new.
    "I am very happy at Porto. It's the city where I grew up. It's my home club and I don't see it easy to leave it," Villas-Boas said.
    "We are focused on winning the Europa League and next year we will go into the Champions League.
    "You cannot say that by reaching the final in the Europa League you will win the Champions League the next year (like Mourinho did). It's not that straightforward.
    "Next year we hope to get through the group stage, then maybe the quarter-final or further. Let's dream a little bit more."
    Among the many subplots to Wednesday night's encounter is the fact that Villas-Boas got his big break in football thanks to his admiration for current Braga coach Domingos Paciencia.
    When Paciencia was not playing regularly under former Porto boss Sir Bobby Robson in the 90s, the teenage Villas-Boas wrote a letter to the Englishman, urging him to play the then striker more often.
    Robson requested information to back up his request and Villas-Boas promptly delivered an impressive dossier that prompted the former England boss to send the youngster on several coaching courses in the United Kingdom.
    After earning his coaching badges, Villas-Boas then went on to form part of Mourinho's scouting team at Porto, Chelsea and then Inter Milan.
    Paciencia remembers the story that brought Villas-Boas into management fondly and recalled his time at Porto with a beaming smile at Tuesday's press conference in the Irish capital.
    He insists, however, he is now happy to have carved out a managerial career of his own away from Porto at the relatively young age of 42.
    "People always relate me to Porto. They always thought that because I had a long time playing at the club that I would be with the club forever but what I am proving now with Braga is that I can do things with a team that isn't Porto," said Paciencia, who will leave Braga after tonight's game.
    "I am always professional and SC Braga is the club I represent and the club I want to win in the final."

Uploads

Paul Scholes - urged to carry on.
    NEVILLE TELLS SCHOLES TO CARRY ON

Gary Neville has urged old mate Paul Scholes not to quit at the end of this season.
    The Manchester United midfielder is yet to confirm whether he will accept the one-year contract offer Sir Alex Ferguson made earlier this season.
    Chief executive David Gill has admitted he fears Scholes may walk away with the minimum of fuss, which would be totally in character for the publicity shy 36-year-old.
    Neville knows there is little chance of Scholes taking any notice of what he says.
    However, he feels the former England star's position at United is far different to his own, with Neville quitting at the beginning of February.
    "If you watch him play and compare that to me in my last few months, you would see there is a complete difference," said Neville.
    "Having watched him, I would say carry on.
    "If I had been playing at the ability level he reaches and making the contribution he still makes in games, I would have done.
    "But Paul is his own man. He won't be influenced by what I say."
    Neville does expect Ferguson to have another word.
    However, he suspects the eventual decision will come down to how Scholes feels his body is standing up to the strain, and whether he considers his contribution to be worthwhile.
    "The manager will be speaking to him but I am sure he will come to the right decision for himself and his family," said Neville.
    "I look at him as a fan now and I want to see him play.
    "But Paul knows what he is going to do. He is experienced. He knows his own body and how he is feeling physically and mentally.
    "Personally, I would like him play forever because he is just a joy to watch."
    As a fellow member of the 'Class of 92', Scholes is already pencilled in for Neville's testimonial against Juventus next Tuesday.
    Nicky Butt and Phil Neville are also confirmed, along with Ryan Giggs, while Neville is hoping David Beckham makes the trip from the United States.
    "I am in contact with David," said Neville.
    "It is looking positive but we still have a couple of things to sort out.
    "Hopefully it will be enjoyable game for the fans and, four days before Wembley, it will be like a celebration and send-off for the lads who have done so well this season."

Uploads

Demba Ba - yet to decide if he'll stay.
    BA UNSURE ON HAMMERS FUTURE

Demba Ba says he has not yet decided whether he will stay on at West Ham after confirming claims that he was racially abused by a supporter at the club's end-of-season dinner.
    Police were called to the Grosvenor House Hotel in Park Lane on Monday night following disturbances at the 275-a-head event, which was attended by players and executives from the club who on Sunday were relegated from the Barclays Premier League after defeat at Wigan, and sacked manager Avram Grant.
    It was initially suggested the problems had started because Ba refused to sign an autograph, but the Senegal striker maintains he did not turn down the request and that he and team-mate Danny Gabbidon were the victims of racism.
    Despite the unsavoury end to the season, both on and off the pitch, the 25-year-old - who has netted seven goals since his January loan move from Hoffenheim - indicated he would take some time before deciding on where he would play next season.
    "It (West Ham) is a good project," Ba told talkSPORT.
    "I will be thinking about my future later on. I just want to finish the season properly, then relax and have some time off with my family, then come back with some new resolutions."

Uploads

Carson Yeung - continues to back Birmingham.
    PANNU: BLUES WILL BE SENSIBLE

Birmingham chairman Peter Pannu insists club owner Carson Yeung will continue to provide "sensible" financial backing for the Carling Cup holders.
    But Pannu warned there will be no "crazy money" splashed out by Yeung this summer even though City's squad will need boosting after qualifying for the Europa League.
    Pannu was responding to reports interpreting Yeung's programme notes for Sunday's home game with Fulham as there being little money to spend.
    Pannu said: "I think if people read Carson's words carefully and used basic common-sense, then they will understand.
    "Carson is not saying 'he won't spend.' He is saying the spending has to be sensible. The infrastructure and the squad will be improved and he made it clear he is not stalling his financial support.
    "But just because we qualified for Europe, and the possibility of extra games, doesn't mean we have to be throwing around crazy money like 50million or something.
    "There is no point in elevating the expectations of anyone in an unrealistic fashion.
    "Carson remains totally committed to the club and will continue to provide the financial backing, as he always has."
    Yeung had written in his programme notes: "Heading into Europe is great for the club but we do have to keep our feet on the ground and be realistic about things.
    "There has been a lot of talk about whether or not there will be extra resources for the Europa League.
    "Of course, we are going to look to improve the infrastructure and the squad - but that does not mean we will just haphazardly pump loads of money into things.
    "Every club is entering into an era where financial prudence has to be the key."

Uploads

Mark Van Bommel - new deal done.
    TRIO EXTEND MILAN DEALS

AC Milan trio Thiago Silva, Mark Van Bommel and Flavio Roma have signed new deals with the Serie A champions.
    Highly-rated Brazilian defender Silva has been strongly linked with a move away from Milan after attracting interest from a number of top European clubs.
    However, Milan have secured Silva's services until June 2016, the club confirmed.
    Van Bommel, who joined the Italian giants in January from Bayern Munich, has agreed a one-year contract extension with his previous deal expiring this summer.
    Former Monaco goalkeeper Roma, who was also set to become a free agent next month, has signed a contract with the Rossoneri outfit until June 2012.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast