Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 19-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 19-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 19-05-11

Ferguson - looking to make three signings.
    THREE AND IN FOR UNITED

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed he intends to make three new signings this summer.
    It was always likely to be a time of change at Manchester United given Edwin van der Sar is due to follow Gary Neville into retirement and Paul Scholes has yet to confirm whether he will extend his career by a further season.
    In addition, there are major doubts hanging over senior figures such as Michael Owen, Wes Brown and Owen Hargreaves.
    And whilst youngsters Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley will be given their chance after impressing during loan spells with Sunderland and Wigan respectively, Ferguson realises he must bring in new blood.
    "We have some ideas in mind," the United boss told MUTV at the annual United's awards ceremony at Old Trafford. "Hopefully we can get them put in place.
    "We have Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes coming towards the end of their careers, Gary Neville has already retired and Edwin van der Sar is retiring, so there are holes we want to plug up in terms of the safety and security of the team for the next few years.
    "Of course, we have some excellent young players and a lot of them have progressed, which gives us a great, powerful squad.
    "I am looking at maybe three signings which would boost our overall quality in our team."
    United have been heavily linked with Atletico Madrid's 20-year-old keeper David De Gea, although it would go against Ferguson's preference for a goalkeeper with great experience.
    Aston Villa's Ashley Young has long been viewed as a potential United target, although more latterly Inter Milan playmaker Wesley Sneijder has come into the reckoning.
    The Dutch World Cup finalist would be an obvious replacement for Scholes, whom chief executive David Gill admitted last weekend might opt to call time on his stellar career after the Champions League final with Barcelona at Wembley on May 28.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 19-05-11

Xavi - linked with City move.
    KHALDOON - NO BIG SPENDING SPREE

Manchester City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak has cautioned against expectations of a mass of new signings at the Eastlands outfit this summer.
    With the FA Cup won and an automatic place in the group stages of next season's Champions League confirmed should City win their final game of the campaign at Bolton on Sunday, numerous big names have already been mentioned as potential summer targets.
    Neither Xavi nor Cristiano Ronaldo are likely to end up at City by the start of next season but the mere fact speculation linking those two world famous stars to the club was not greeted with shock underlines just how high most observers expect manager Roberto Mancini to go.
    However, in an excerpt from an exclusive interview which will be broadcast on the official City website on Friday, Khaldoon has attempted to play down expectations.
    "It won't be like last summer, or the summer before," he said.
    "What you will see this year is strengthening the squad in areas that we feel require more depth.
    "We don't need quantity, as today we have quality. We just need a couple of players."
    After an overall investment in excess of 1billion and 350million spent on players alone since Sheikh Mansour rescued City from the ill-fated Thaksin Shinawatra era almost three years ago, it is clear the Blues are not far from where they want to be.
    As the man responsible for overseeing the growth of the club from within the Abu Dhabi hierarchy, Khaldoon has given unqualified support to the manner in which Mancini has achieved his pre-season aims.
    "I feel strongly a winning mentality is coming into the team," said Khaldoon.
    "We have an incredible squad with so many talented individuals and a lot of heart in that squad.
    "We have an incredible foundation for incredible years ahead.
    "I am absolutely delighted for everyone involved in the club. The team, the players, coaches and the fans of course."
    Khaldoon has also lavished praise on chief executive Garry Cook, who has not always been blemish free in his work but, more recently, has helped City start to maximise their vast potential.
    "It has always been a team approach," said Khaldoon.
    "We have a great operation with everyone involved, headed by our CEO Garry Cook, who I must say has done a phenomenal job for us.
    "I am so proud of what he has accomplished."

Uploads

Grant - sacked after Hammers drop.
    BRADY DEFENDS GRANT TREATMENT

West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady insists Avram Grant was given everything possible at the club to keep them in the Premier League.
    The Israeli manager was shown the door by the Hammers on Sunday following their dramatic 3-2 defeat at Wigan that sealed their relegation to the Championship.
    Reports have surfaced that Grant was undermined by the Hammers board throughout his season-long stint at the club, but Brady has hit back at such claims.
    The vice-chairman said in The Sun: "Avram was given the best possible conditions to do the job.
    "There were no silly targets set, no talk of Europe. We just said: 'Keep us up'.
    "He was given extra training-ground staff and his personal needs met - including a driver, a new office and an upgraded expensive football analysis system.
    "When things got tough, we backed him again.
    "January signings like Wayne Bridge, Robbie Keane and Demba Ba saw us put our money where our mouth is. Again, no big names left the Boleyn.
    "A good man, Avram was given every chance but he was sadly unable to deliver."
    Brady also claims reports of trouble between players and fans at West Ham's end-of-season dinner in London on Monday night were blown out of proportion.
    Some pundits have questioned the timing of the party in light of the Hammers' relegation, but Brady insists it was not a celebration.
    She added: "Like our sold-out end-of-season dinner this week, we stand up and face difficult times head on.
    "Ours was not a celebration and certainly not a party, as some wrongly claimed, but it was right to have a night where fans could respect the academy and their Hammer of the Year.
    "Everyone has had their say and there is nothing wrong with fair comment.
    "But hyped accounts of trouble are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to describing a season where fact has been replaced by fiction."

Uploads

Villas-Boas - happy at Porto.
    VILLAS-BOAS FIRES WARNING TO EUROPE

Porto manager Andre Villas-Boas wrote his name into the history books by lifting the Europa League before moving quickly to insist that neither he nor his star players will be leaving the club this summer.
    Falcao's 44th-minute header secured a 1-0 win over Braga and meant Villas-Boas became the youngest manager to win a UEFA club competition.
    The 33-year-old had already won the Portuguese Super Cup and the league before Wednesday night's victory, and he will pick up a fourth winners' medal if the Dragons beat Vitoria Guimaraes in Sunday's cup final.
    Villas-Boas reaffirmed his commitment to Porto after the victory and insisted he had only played a small part in the club's success this season.
    The Porto boss insisted the performances of Hulk, Falcao and other unsung heroes in his squad were the main reason behind the club's storming campaign.
    Hulk and Falcao have scored a remarkable 71 goals between them this term. They are bound to be the subject of interest from Europe's giants this summer but Villas-Boas insists they will be staying at the club with him.
    "The speculation is normal with managers and players around the world," Villas-Boas said.
    "But it's not easy for any of this talent to run away from us.
    "Hulk has a release clause of 100million euros, which is not easy for any club to pay. Falcao's is 30million euros.
    "It's very difficult for a club to splash around that amount of money. It's not impossible, but let's hope we can keep the majority of our talent next year."
    Sir Bobby Robson, Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho were among a long list of people Andre Villas-Boas credited for his success.
    Villas-Boas paid tribute to Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola and the two men who had mentored him throughout his time in management - Sir Bobby Robson and Jose Mourinho - after the win.
    Robson gave a 16-year-old Villas-Boas his first break in football by enrolling him in several coaching courses after he impressed the Englishman with his passion for the game.
    Villas-Boas went on to forge a career in scouting with Mourinho at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan before taking the helm at the Estadio do Dragao.
    "I dedicate this win to my technical staff, the players of Porto and the supporters. But I'd like to pay a compliment to Pep Guardiola and to Jose Mourinho," Villas-Boas said.
    "He (Mourinho) introduced me to professional football, and I'd like to dedicate this to him and to someone who has already left us, but was decisive in my career: Sir Bobby Robson.
    "I never had the opportunity to say farewell to him. I'd like to dedicate this to him and his wife, Elsie, and thank him for everything he's done for me."
    The only brief glimpse Braga got of goal in Dublin last night was when substitute Mossoro wrestled the ball off Fernando and broke free just after the break.
    The forward squandered the chance though, driving straight at Helton's legs.
    Domingos Paciencia admits it was a disappointing way to end his time in charge of the Arsenalistas, but insists he is still proud of his team for beating the likes of Benfica and Liverpool to get to the final.
    "I hope Braga will grow and become stronger," the 42-year-old said.
    "I'm sad to go out in this way. But we're still proud of ourselves."

Uploads

SILVIO CLAIMS ATLETICO SWITCH

Portugal international Silvio has claimed he will join Atletico Madrid from Braga this summer.
    Speaking following Braga's 1-0 Europa League final defeat to Porto last night, the 23-year-old full-back was quoted as saying in the Portuguese press: "I confirm that I'm going to Atletico Madrid. This was my last game in the Braga shirt.
    "I'm going to take on a very attractive challenge in Spain, where I hope to be happy."
    Silvio, who has three caps for his country, came up through the youth ranks at Benfica and played for Atletico Cacem, Odivelas and Rio Ave before joining Braga last year.

Uploads

Jelavic - going nowhere.
    JELAVIC HAPPY AT RANGERS

Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic insists he is going nowhere despite reported interest from Manchester United.
    The Croatian has been a hit at Ibrox after netting 19 goals in his debut season despite a spell of almost four months on the sidelines part way through the campaign.
    His form saw him linked with a 13million switch to Old Trafford, but the forward - who joined Rangers for 4million last summer - claims he is happy in Glasgow.
    Jelavic was quoted in the Daily Record as saying: "Frankly, I do not think about leaving because I am loving it at Rangers.
    "Some of the stories about me leaving were simply people getting excited over nothing. I don't think I need to push myself for sale."

Uploads

David Gill - expects busier summer.
    GILL EXPLAINS SUMMER TRANSFER PLANS

Chief executive David Gill has warned Manchester United fans to prepare for a "busier than normal" summer in the transfer market.
    With Edwin van der Sar due to follow Gary Neville into retirement, Paul Scholes yet to confirm whether he will extend his career by a further season and major doubts hanging over senior figures such as Michael Owen, Wes Brown and Owen Hargreaves, changes are inevitable at the Premier League champions.
    It does appear youngsters Danny Welbeck and Tom Cleverley will be given their chance after impressing during loan spells with Sunderland and Wigan respectively.
    However, Gill has given the clearest indication yet that United supporters can expect at least one big-name arrival, and the likelihood is there will be more.
    "It probably will be slightly busier than normal," Gill told MUTV during the annual Manchester United players' awards ceremony at Old Trafford.
    "Gary has retired already. Edwin is retiring and Paul has to decide what he wants to do.
    "We have been working very hard over the course of the last 12 months to plan which positions we need to fill, identifying those players and trying to work on it.
    "What Alex Ferguson has done very successfully for nearly 25 years is to reinvent the team slowly and integrate them within the established stars.
    "That is what we will continue to do.
    "It gives a buzz to everyone at the club when you bring in high quality players. It is something we look forward to with relish."
    United have been heavily linked with Atletico Madrid's 20-year-old goalkeeper David De Gea, although it would go against Ferguson's preference for a goalkeeper with great experience.
    Aston Villa's Ashley Young has long been viewed as a potential United target, although more latterly Inter Milan playmaker Wesley Sneijder has come into the reckoning.
    The Dutch World Cup finalists would be an obvious replacement for Scholes, whom Gill admitted last weekend might opt to call time on his stellar career after the Champions League final with Barcelona at Wembley on May 28.
    Gill's observations were echoed by Ferguson, who claimed he was chasing three signings to bolster a squad that has reached the Champions League final for the third time in four years.
    "We have some ideas in mind," said the United boss. "Hopefully we can get them put in place.
    "We have Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes coming towards the end of their careers, Gary Neville has already retired and Edwin van der Sar is retiring, so there are holes we want to plug up in terms of the safety and security of the team for the next few years.
    "Of course, we have some excellent young players and a lot of them have progressed, which gives us a great, powerful squad.
    "I am looking at maybe three signings which would boost our overall quality in our team."
    As he went up to present the main players' player of the year award to Nani, Ferguson could not resist a dig at Liverpool, whom he knocked off their perch by clinching United's 19th league title at Blackburn on Saturday.
    Twenty-four hours later, some intrepid fans managed to get a banner into Anfield proclaiming "MUFC 19 times" which they hung from the Anfield Road End of the ground before making a very quick getaway.
    "I wish I had taken that banner to Liverpool on Sunday," Ferguson said.
    "I bet there were 76,000 fans wishing they had thought of that."
    In addition to Nani, Javier Hernandez was crowned fans' player of the year, with Wayne Rooney the overwhelming choice for goal of the season, his magnificent overhead kick against Manchester City at Old Trafford in February.

Uploads

Fabregas - linked again with move away.
    WENGER EXPECTS FABREGAS STAY

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has reiterated his belief that Cesc Fabregas will stay at the club this summer.
    Fabregas was continually linked with a move back to boyhood club Barcelona last summer before he finally stayed at the Emirates Stadium.
    Barcelona are expected to rekindle their interest in the Spain international this summer, but Wenger is confident his skipper will remain in North London as he is committed to the Gunners cause.
    "I expect him to be here," Wenger said. "I will fight very hard to keep him here. You have always to fight when you have a player of that quality.
    "I believe the biggest pride for a captain is to be committed to his club and deliver trophies to his team.
    "A player who changes every time when he is frustrated that he does not win a trophy goes nowhere.
    "I believe the quality of a sports life is to be committed to his club and not just move on when it does not go as well as you expected it."
    Fabregas has struggled with a series of injuries this season and Wenger is hopeful the midfielder will be able to contribute more next term.
    "I believe that Cesc Fabregas played 22 games this season out of 38," added Wenger.
    "We expect him next season to play between 30 and 38 and that will make a huge difference to our efficiency as well."

Uploads

Neymar - eyeing Premier League switch.
    NEYMAR KEEN ON CHELSEA MOVE

Brazil striker Neymar hopes Chelsea renew their interest in him this summer after he snubbed a move to Stamford Bridge last year.
    The 19-year-old opted against a switch to Europe last summer, preferring instead to spend another season in his homeland with Santos.
    He has, however, developed further since then, with his emergence as a senior international star allowing him to further enhance a blossoming reputation.
    The biggest sides in the world are now chasing his signature, with the Premier League's big guns believed to be leading the chase.
    Chelsea remain in pole position to land the precociously-talented teenager and Neymar has hinted the time may be right to try his luck in England.
    "I was very happy about Chelsea's interest because it is a club every player would like to play for, but at that moment the right decision was to stay at Santos," Neymar told the Daily Telegraph.
    "To play in Europe is my dream. I was very proud of Chelsea's interest and I hope to keep playing well so that this proposal can happen again.
    "I know about these teams; Chelsea, Manchester - to play for them are the dreams of all players. I know about players in England - [Didier] Drogba, [Frank] Lampard, [Steven] Gerrard - these are very good players.
    "I have spoken to Ramires and David Luiz and they say England is a very good country and London is a beautiful place to live."

Uploads

De Jong is reluctant to let Tevez go.
    DE JONG HOPING FOR TEVEZ STAY

Manchester City midfielder Nigel de Jong says the players might be tempted to do "something crazy" in a bid to prevent Carlos Tevez leaving Eastlands.
    The Argentina striker and club captain is unsure about his future plans because of the difficulties of being separated from his daughters.
    Tevez has been key to City's success this season and took his goals tally to 20 with a brace in the victory against Stoke on Tuesday night.
    De Jong said: "Everyone will respect his decision but he is one of our main players and important for this club.
    "We have to make sure he will stay, and we will do anything in our power to do that. Maybe we will get some Argentinian dancers over, or sometimes do the rumba in the dressing room.
    "We might do something crazy to persuade him but he is a happy guy and he loves the team so we will see what happens."
    That victory against Stoke took City into third place and a win over Bolton on Sunday at the Reebok Stadium will ensure automatic entry to the Champions League group stages.
    Arsenal would be condemned to qualifying, no matter their result in the London derby with Fulham.
    It would be a fitting finale to the campaign for City, according to De Jong, after they lifted the FA Cup for the first time in 42 years at the weekend.
    Bolton have lost four successive matches and the Dutch midfielder is intent on inflicting more pain on Owen Coyle's side.
    He said: "We are almost there and have everything in our hands. We need to secure that third place. That would be a big step for us and make it a fantastic season.
    "Arsenal haven't been in their best form but we didn't expect them to lose at home (to Aston Villa).
    "The big thing with this group is that we are united. You have to make sure you are one big, happy family, otherwise you do not have any success."
    De Jong added: "Getting into the Champions League was our main target all season and we have done that step by step.
    "But the FA Cup has been special - the whole squad just loved winning that cup. That was the cherry on the pie."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast