Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 20-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 20-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 20-05-11

Ronaldo - Manchester City talk rejected.
    MAN CITY REJECT RONALDO TALK

Manchester City have dismissed reports linking them with Cristiano Ronaldo, branding the rumours "ill-informed" and "unfounded".
    It had been claimed that City were preparing a record-breaking approach for the Real Madrid forward this summer.
    A 150million bid was said to be in the pipeline as the ambitious owners at Eastlands look to flex their financial muscles.
    With the club preparing for a Champions League campaign in 2011/12, it is expected that they will be busy once the transfer market re-opens.
    They have, however, moved quickly to distance themselves from a proposed approach for former Manchester United winger Ronaldo, who has spent the last two seasons in Spain.
    Senior officials at Eastlands told Sky Sports News HD: "Speculation linking the club with Ronaldo is ill-informed and unfounded and nothing other than mischief-making.
    "Whilst there is no doubt that Ronaldo is one of the world's greatest players, he is not on the club's list of transfer targets."
    Ronaldo spent six years at Old Trafford between 2003 and 2009, landing three Premier League titles, an FA Cup and a Champions League crown during that time.
    Having made it clear that it was an ambition of his to turn out in the legendary all-white strip of Real, he was offloaded by United for 80million in the summer of 2009.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 20-05-11

Adebayor - 'no better club' than Real Madrid.
    ADEBAYOR EYES PERMANENT REAL MOVE

Emmanuel Adebayor is still hoping to turn his loan move to Real Madrid into a permanent switch this summer.
    Adebayor joined Madrid on a five-month loan from Manchester City in January and has made 21 appearances for Jose Mourinho's side in all competitions, scoring five goals.
    With one game to go in the Primera Division season Adebayor's future is unknown, but the Togo international, who has described his time in Madrid as "sensational", admits he would take a pay-cut to stay with the Spanish giants.
    "I did it to come here and I would do it again. Whatever is necessary, there's no better club in the world," the 27-year-old told Spanish newspaper AS.
    "I love Madrid, I want to continue. My friends tell me that I seem happier, even when I'm on the bench."
    Asked if City might be willing to lower their asking price,
    Adebayor added: "I hope so, it's an intelligent club. They have many players and not everyone can stay. Hopefully they will be prepared to negotiate."

Uploads

Tevez - 'I want to leave Manchester City'.
    TEVEZ: I WANT TO LEAVE MANCHESTER CITY

Carlos Tevez has announced that he will be looking for a move away from Manchester City this summer.
    The Argentina international's future has been called into question on a regular basis throughout the 2010/11 campaign.
    He handed in a transfer request last December, only to then backtrack and commit himself to the City cause.
    The striker had hinted after City's recent FA Cup success that he would be sticking around, providing his family were happy.
    And in the wake of Tuesday night's 3-0 victory over Stoke, Roberto Mancini insisted his captain had told him he would still be a City player next season.
    Tevez has, however, completed another U-turn by declaring that he now wants out of City during the upcoming transfer window.
    The 27-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to Italian giants Inter Milan of late and the news that he is set to be available is likely to spark a scramble for his signature across Europe.
    "I want to leave Manchester City," Tevez, told Argentine station Radio del Plata.
    "Football has changed a lot for me and I don't know if I will even make it to the next World Cup. And that has nothing to do with whether I'm selected or not.
    "I've been treated very well here and I'm grateful.
    "I also gave my everything for the club to receive the results it has had. But I need a change of scene."
    On where he might end up, Tevez added: "To go back to Boca Juniors would be beautiful but it is very difficult.
    "But if we're speaking seriously, financial issues would make my return difficult."

Uploads

Paul Scholes - contract expires in the summer.
    PAUL SCHOLES SET TO CARRY ON

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson is confident Sunday's Old Trafford encounter with Blackpool will not prove to be Paul Scholes' Premier League swansong.
    The break-up of the famed Class of '92 is almost complete now Gary Neville has retired.
    Of the six players who went on to star for club and country, only the oldest, Ryan Giggs, will definitely still be at United next term.
    Scholes is still to decide whether to follow Giggs' lead or Neville's.
    It means his confirmed appearance against the Tangerines this weekend could bring down the curtain on a stellar career, when he was identified by Zinedine Zidane amongst others as the foremost midfield player of his generation.
    Chief executive David Gill has admitted it would be no surprise if the 36-year-old called it a day, but Ferguson, who offered the player a new one-year contract six months ago, is not so sure.
    "I don't think it will be his last game," said the Scot.
    "We have discussed it and I have encouraged him to stay on another year.
    "We will talk again at the end of the season."
    The problem is Scholes has never given the impression of being as convinced about his own contribution as Ferguson.
    He made his 21st league appearance of the campaign at Blackburn last Saturday when Ferguson wanted to try to tie up the title - which was Scholes' 10th such triumph.
    But even though the midfielder started matches against Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City in the closing weeks of the season, doubt remains.
    "I have to be happy with the way I am playing," said Scholes.
    "You get to a point in your career when you have to realise why you are in the squad.
    "Last season the manager felt it was best for me to be involved in away games and I agreed with him.
    "This season, I felt great until I injured my groin against Rangers in November and I have struggled a little bit since."

Uploads

Johan Elmander - set for Bolton exit.
    COYLE RESIGNED TO ELMANDER EXIT

Bolton manager Owen Coyle expects striker Johan Elmander to join Turkish club Galatasaray in the summer.
    Elmander, 29, is out of contract at the end of next month and will almost certainly play his last game for the Trotters on Sunday against Manchester City at the Reebok Stadium.
    Coyle is resigned to losing the Sweden international, who has scored 12 goals in all competitions this season after just 10 in the past two campaigns.
    "Galatasaray have announced on their website they have agreed something with Johan," Coyle said.
    "I have spoken to Johan and certainly nothing has been signed. That is not to say it won't be signed, maybe in the next couple of weeks but not before Sunday.
    "Do I expect him to leave? In my heart of hearts, yes. These are the things you have to deal with as a manager. I am very comfortable with that.
    "I have always felt and always known given the dialogue (chairman) Phil Gartside had with his representative they were probably looking for a new option.
    "I personally wish Johan well if and when that comes about because he has worked ever so hard for me in training each and every day.
    "When he has worn that shirt he has given me everything he has got in a number of positions and worked his socks off for the team. He is someone I have a very good relationship with."
    Gala claimed on their website to have reached an "understanding in principle" with Elmander.

Uploads

Mark Hughes - linked with Fulham exit.
    FULHAM CONFIDENT HUGHES WILL STAY

Fulham expect Mark Hughes to remain in charge for the 2011/12 campaign despite reports to the contrary.
    It is understood that the Cottagers boss has a release clause in his contract which can be activated on June 30.
    He would still have another 12 months to run on the deal he penned last summer, but would be free to walk away from the club should he wish to do so.
    A number of Fulham's Premier League rivals are reported to be keeping a close eye on Hughes' situation, as they plot managerial changes of their own.
    The Cottagers, though, are confident that their boss is going nowhere.
    Talks regarding fresh terms are ongoing, with Fulham closing on a top-half finish, and a club spokesman has attempted to curb the distracting speculation regarding Hughes' future.
    "Mark has made it clear that he is happy here and looking forward to the next campaign," said the spokesman.
    "We are adamant that he will be staying at Fulham."

Uploads

Di Canio - new Swindon manager.
    SWINDON TURN TO DI CANIO

Paolo Di Canio has been confirmed as Swindon's new manager.
    The 42-year-old Italian, whose brilliance during his playing days walked hand in hand with controversy, takes the reins from Paul Bodin, who was only briefly placed in caretaker charge after the club parted ways with Paul Hart three weeks ago.
    Di Canio will make his managerial bow in npower League Two after Hart, who only took over himself from Danny Wilson in early March, failed to save the Wiltshire club from relegation this season.
    The appointment marks a sensational return to England for Di Canio in what is the bottom tier of the Football League, having also been linked with the vacancy at former club West Ham on more than one occasion.
    His official unveiling will take place on Monday after the paperwork is completed, at which point the length of contract will be announced.
    A statement on the club's official website read: "The board of STFC is committed to returning to League One at the earliest opportunity and is confident that Paolo will build a team with a new level of passion, pride and professionalism to ensure this goal is achieved."
    Di Canio, who holds a coaching licence, was one of eight prospective managers shortlisted and subsequently interviewed last week by interim chairman Jeremy Wray for the Town vacancy, with others believed to include George Burley and Dietmar Hamann.
    But the lure of the passionate Rome-born former striker has proved too strong and it is understood he accepted the position yesterday.
    Di Canio, who will wrap up his work as a pundit in his native Italy this weekend, has been keen to move into the dugout for some time although many anticipated his managerial bow to possibly be made higher up the football pyramid.
    He started his career in his homeland with Lazio, Juventus, Napoli and AC Milan - during which time he won the Serie A title and European Super Cup and claimed runners-up medals in both the UEFA Cup and European Cup among other achivements.
    Di Canio completed a move to Celtic in 1996, where he spent a single season before a two-year spell at Sheffield Wednesday followed.
    It was at Hillsborough where he famously pushed referee Paul Alcock to the ground after being sent off and was banned for 11 matches.
    He switched to West Ham in 1999 where he enjoyed huge success and lit up the Premier League with his flair and skill, remaining idolised by the Upton Park faithful to this day.
    He swapped the Hammers for a brief spell with Charlton in 2003 before returning to Rome and spells with Lazio - where off-field troubles continued to follow him, most notably after his fascist salutes to a section of the club's fans - and Cisco Roma.
    His retirement from professional football finally came in 2008.
    Di Canio will now take the reins at Swindon and attempt to guide the club back into England's third tier at the first attempt.

Uploads

Denilson - ready for Arsenal exit.
    DENILSON: I'M LEAVING ARSENAL

Midfielder Denilson wants to leave Arsenal, saying: "I've been here for five years and won nothing."
    The 23-year-old Brazilian joined Arsenal in the summer of 2006 from Sao Paulo but in that time the Gunners have fallen short of silverware. Their last trophy was the 2005 FA Cup.
    He has now told The Sun that he intends to quit the club, saying he made his decision eight months ago.
    "I've simply been to see (manager) Arsene Wenger and told him how I felt - and he has agreed to let me go," he said.
    "This has been the worst season of my life and I am so upset, so frustrated. I am a winner and I came here to win trophies but I've been here for five years and won nothing.
    "A footballer's career is over very quickly so it is time to move on.
    "I know some people think I'm crazy. I need a fresh challenge and although I know I'm taking a big gamble I am ready to take that risk.
    "I can't see myself returning in a Chelsea shirt, or Liverpool or Manchester City - and definitely not Tottenham. I think my future will be in Spain or Italy."

Uploads

Bassong - wants to leave Tottenham.
    BASSONG EYES TOTTENHAM EXIT

Defender Sebastien Bassong has indicated he wants to leave Tottenham.
    The Cameroon international, 24, has started just seven of Spurs' 37 Barclays Premier League games this season and he has been an unused substitute on 30 occasions in all competitions.
    Bassong started 25 league games in the 2009-10 campaign as Tottenham finished fourth to qualify for the Champions League, and the former Newcastle player feels as though he has gone "from heaven to hell" in 12 months.
    He told the Guardian: "For a bit I felt lost because I haven't faced this situation before in my career. I feel that I have gone backwards, like I have gone from heaven to hell.
    "I am a guy who simply has to play. I would never just sit there and take the money. I am reaching an age where, if I don't play week in, week out, and if I don't feel real trust in me, then I can't stay, no matter which club it is."
    Bassong's admission follows on from Jermain Defoe hinting at a move away from White Hart Lane if he continues to play a limited role up front for the club.

Uploads

Carlton Cole - linked with Stoke move.
    PULIS KEEN TO BOOST STOKE SQUAD

Stoke boss Tony Pulis has admitted he is looking to add to his squad over the summer as he prepares for Europe.
    The Potters have a Europa League campaign to look forward to after reaching the FA Cup final and Pulis knows he has to bolster his ranks to cope with the demands of more fixtures.
    West Ham striker Carlton Cole is thought to be on Pulis' radar with Stoke short of attacking options because of injuries to Ricardo Fuller and Mama Sidibe.
    Pulis is keen to bring in some quality additions as he looks to build on the side's success this term.
    "We need to bring in more quality over the summer because we want to give it our best shot in Europe," said Pulis
    "The chairman will make sure everything is sensible but we want to bring in better players.
    "Our aim is to keep progressing. Hopefully, we can add to what we've already got."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast