Globo bets on free to-air TV because Internet remains too far away

Rede Globo General Director Octávio Florisbal, disclosed that "although there is increasing offer of alternatives to see video in cabs, buses, cell phones, tablets, airplane", research works carried out by the broadcasting company show that in "Brazil TV family consumption accounts for 39 hours a week, while Internet videos a llitle more than 20 hours". "Except from India and China, Brazil is the first country recording the highest free-to-air TV consumption".

Globo keeps on considering new screens as threats: "We do not know how strong TV consumption concentration will be, it depends on our providing appealing content", stated Florisbal. Despite the aforementioned, there are several groups detecting opportunities in each of them.

Brazilian consumption profile is no different from the United Stated. Florisbal mentioned the so-called "Three screens" study carried out by Nielsen, which showed that United Stated families watch 35 TV hours weekly, just half hour of video on Internet and 6 minutes in their cell phones.

In Brazil, On-TV set average ranges from a 40% to 45% and it does not change. In 2010, for example, a 43% was recorded. However, TV consumption is not only free-to-air, as it used to be 30 years ago. 20 years ago, a million homes with Pay-TV were recorded; at present, 10 million homes are recorded and pay-TV jumped from 1% to 6% ON. The "other devices" (videogame, DVD, Blu-Ray), which did not exist in the past, currently account for the 3% of consumption. Anyway, "in the global addition, free-to-air viewer rate is increasing. According to a study carried out by Deloitte, in 2008, the total investment in TV (free-to-air and Pay) accounted for the 38% of the total media. This year, such percentage will reach a 41% and next year a 42%. Some time in the future, Internet will be the second media. Today newspapers and magazines lead the market", concluded Florisbal.