Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 21-05-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 21-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 21-05-11

Ancelotti - could leave Chelsea.

Carlo Ancelotti has insisted he will not beg to keep his job when he learns his fate as Chelsea manager next week.
    A defiant Ancelotti also vowed not to shed any tears if he is given the boot, insisting he could be proud of his record at Stamford Bridge.
    Ancelotti looks set to be sacked at a meeting with his bosses in the days after Sunday's final Barclays Premier League game of the season at Everton, having overseen the Blues' worst campaign of the Roman Abramovich era.
    That is despite masterminding the club's first ever double during his maiden year in charge.
    Ancelotti believes his achievements speak for themselves and will not be pleading with billionaire owner Abramovich, chief executive Ron Gourlay, or chairman Bruce Buck.
    "I don't want to 'fight' to keep my job," said Ancelotti, who could take charge of his last game when Chelsea visit Everton in Sunday's final match of the Barclays Premier League season.
    "The club have to judge two years of my job.
    "If they think that my job was good for this club, I will stay. If they think that my job was not so good, I will have to go."
    He added: "I'm not 'desperate' to keep this job. It's not my decision.
    "My desire is to stay here because I feel happy here. I continue to feel good here. I love this atmosphere and the training ground.
    "The people who are working around me are very honest and professional. I think, together, we did a good job."
    Abramovich has never before tolerated a trophyless season but the previous two managers sacked for failing to win silverware had not won the double the previous year.
    Giving Ancelotti the boot would therefore arguably be the most ruthless decision of Abramovich's eight-year reign.
    But Ancelotti said: "It's not a difficult club if they decide to sack me.
    "At a difficult club, you are not able to do your job when you're there.
    "Here, I have a lot of responsibility. I didn't have pressure in these two years. I was very much under control.
    "Nobody put too much pressure on me, to put this player or that player in the team. I had my ideas no problem."
    Abramovich did, however, unceremoniously sack Ancelotti's assistant and good friend Ray Wilkins back in November, seemingly with little justification.
    "I don't want to give an opinion on this," said Ancelotti, whose probable demise appears to have been influenced heavily by the departure of Wilkins.
    Coupled with injuries to key players following the controversial decision to allow several experienced stars to leave last summer, it seemed to be a crucial factor in the club's worst run in the league for almost 15 years.
    That slump ultimately cost them the title - and possibly other silverware as well.
    But Ancelotti has persistently refused to put the blame on last summer's change of policy.
    He said: "When we decided to change the philosophy to put more young players in, I'd been in agreement."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 21-05-11

Scott Parker - set for West Ham exit.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp will make a homegrown leader his number one transfer target this summer, and has hinted that West Ham's Scott Parker is among the leading candidates.
    Parker has been the one player to come through West Ham's dreadful season with his head held high after a series of battling performances that saw him win back his place in the England squad and pick up the Football Writers' Association (FWA) Player of the Year award.
    The 30-year-old seems certain to leave Upton Park after the club's relegation was confirmed last week, with the Londoners ready to listen to offers for the player.
    Redknapp failed in a summer bid to sign Parker last year and he has never hidden his admiration for the combative midfielder, who is a friend of the Spurs boss' son Jamie.
    Michael Dawson aside, Redknapp has few experienced or authoritative players in his squad - a fact which saw him make unsuccessful moves for Everton captain Phil Neville and Holland midfield general Mark van Bommel over the last 12 months.
    Redknapp has made two scouting trips to France this week, but he would prefer to sign a proven British or Barclays Premier League player to solve the problem and he admits that Parker fits the bill.
    "We lack one or two strong characters," the Spurs boss said.
    "It's important that you have one or two leaders. I'd rather find players in this country that can do the job, rather than hope they can do it, if I can.
    "Scott is a quiet boy but he is a leader because on the pitch he leads by example. I'm not just saying necessarily Scott but we need to find one or two that are that type if we can."
    Redknapp admits that Parker's performances have not gone unnoticed by other top clubs in the league and thinks he could face strong competition for the midfielder if he decides to lodge a bid.
    "He is footballer of the year. There will be a lot of big clubs interested in him. Liverpool and Arsenal are, I hear.
    "When you look at the people who have won that FWA award it's amazing. He will not be going somewhere like he did at Chelsea and play a little bit here and there. He will want to go somewhere and be the main player."
    Redknapp lodged bids to sign Sergio Aguero and Giuseppe Rossi in January and has been linked with a number of players in recent weeks.
    The 64-year-old watched Lille midfielder Eden Hazard twice this week and will fly to the continent to watch another target on Saturday before Sunday's clash against Birmingham.
    Manchester City's Shay Given and Emmanuel Adebayor have both been mentioned as potential targets, but Redknapp doubts the Lancastrians would sell to Spurs.
    "We wouldn't get Shay Given from Man City, they don't seem to want to deal with us," Redknapp added.
    "We have tried before to get their players. I tried to sign Craig Bellamy but they wouldn't let him come here.
    "I like Shay Given but I don't know if he's fit either. He has had a bit of a shoulder problem. It has come out a couple of times, so we will have to wait and see.
    "Adebayor would be difficult. I don't know if it's true but they were talking about him earning 170k a week."
    Redknapp also hit back at Jermain Defoe today after the striker complained he had not played as many first-team games as he deserved this year.
    The 28-year-old has struggled for form this season and admitted this week in a televised interview that he had become "frustrated" at his lack of first-team action.
    Redknapp says that he wants Defoe to remain at Spurs, but delivered a stinging rebuke to the striker's suggestion that he has not been playing the number of matches that he deserves.
    "He hasn't played well enough to play regularly, that's the top and bottom of it. There is no other reason," Redknapp said.
    "No-one has more faith in him than I do. He is a fantastic player but his form this year has not been anywhere near it has been in the past.
    "He has to let the football do the talking really on the pitch. If he does it on the pitch then I will pick him."

Carlos Salcido - could leave Fulham.

Carlos Salcido could leave Fulham after a robbery at his house resulted in his family leaving England, manager Mark Hughes has revealed.
    The Mexico international joined the Cottagers last summer from Dutch outfit PSV Eindhoven and has impressed during his first season in the Barclays Premier League.
    However, Hughes has warned Salcido could leave Craven Cottage in the coming weeks after becoming unhappy with life in London following the incident at his house.
    "His family came over initially, but he had a robbery at his house," he said.
    "That was a bit upsetting for his family. They couldn't settle after that point [and moved back to Mexico].
    "Carlos' situation is that his family has not been able to settle as of yet and he obviously has that to deal with.
    "We are hopeful that the situation can be resolved and there can be a positive conclusion from our point of view in terms of Carlos being able to stay.
    "If the situation is still prevalent it may be that Carlos feels he needs to look at his options back home because he needs to be with his family.
    "We understand that situation, it is difficult, but obviously we have to protect our own position and he fully understands that.
    "There is a lot of dialogue going on in terms of how we can resolve this but at the moment it is a little bit up in the air."
    Salcido's departure from the west Londoners would leave a void at left-back, which has seen Liverpool's Paul Konchesky linked with a return to the club.
    Hughes flatly denied a move for the 30-year-old was on the cards, although he was less clear in his response when asked about an interest in Espanyol left-back Javi Chica.
    "We look at a number of games," he said after being spotted watching the Barcelona-based club.
    "We won't highlight key positions but we have to look at our options.
    "Obviously we have been aware of Carlos' situation for quite some time and we have managed it as well as we could.
    "In fairness, he has managed it very well given the circumstances, being away from his family for long periods.
    "That is credit to him but we might possibly have to look at other alternatives."

Keith Hill - linked with Barnsley job.

Barnsley's next manager must "fit with a radical new strategy" at Oakwell, the club have revealed.
    The Tykes are reported to have been given permission to approach Rochdale manager Keith Hill following the departure on Sunday of Mark Robins, who felt he could not continue after talks with owner Patrick Cryne.
    Cryne has also moved to appease fans over growing concerns about the Tykes' finances and a club statement read: "Over the past few weeks the media coverage received by Barnsley FC has been focused on supposed budgetary cuts and the resultant fall-out from those.
    "This assessment oversimplifies and therefore misrepresents matters necessitating this statement to set the record straight for the benefit of our fans.
    "It is Einstein's definition of madness to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the outcome to be different. The board believes that it is time to be more radical and do things differently, hence the review under way.
    "Some aspects of the change of direction being proposed have been announced to fans, for example, basing the future of the club on quality recruitment and the intensive development of our standout youth talent.
    "This does not mean an end to loan signings but it does mean they will take a lower priority within our squad structure.
    "We need to create value within our squad, not to sell players, but to enjoy more success for our team, our sponsors and, most of all, our fans. In selecting a new manager, we need to take care to select someone who fits with the strategy we feel best suits Barnsley FC going forward."

Adam - ignoring speculation.

Charlie Adam is ignoring speculation about his own future as he attempts to save Blackpool from relegation.
    The Scotland international, 25, enjoyed an excellent first half to this season and consequently almost left Bloomfield Road in January, when Liverpool and Tottenham attempted deals.
    Adam seemed to wave goodbye to fans when he was substituted in last weekend's win over Bolton and, with a year left on his contract, it seems certain he will leave this summer.
    But the midfielder's priority is to help Blackpool, last season's Championship play-off winners, avoid an immediate return to the second division.
    Ian Holloway's side sit in the Premier League drop zone on goal difference ahead of their Survival Sunday match at champions Manchester United.
    And Adam said in The Times: "I just want to focus on the next game, that is all I can do.
    "The club will make the decisions about what it wants to do. It isn't down to me.
    "I have got a year left on my contract so we will see what happens but all that matters now is getting the result that we need."
    Blackpool have earned many admirers for their attacking approach to their debut Premier League campaign, but Adam fears that could be forgotten if they are relegated.
    "If we are good enough then we will stay in the Premier League," he said. "If not then we will at least know that we have given everything from the first game.
    "But one thing's for sure, in the future people won't look back and say, 'Blackpool played some really good football but went down', they will look at the bare facts that we came up one season and down the next.
    "In a way we are fighting for our reputation as much as our status."

Luka Modric - not looking to leave.

Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric has no plans to leave White Hart Lane but admits it will be difficult watching the Champions League on television next season.
    The 25-year-old, who joined the club from Dinamo Zagreb after Euro 2008, has enjoyed an outstanding season for Harry Redknapp's side - both in the Barclays Premier League and in their run to the Champions League quarter-finals.
    With Spurs having missed out on a top-four finish this season, Modric's future will doubtless come under the spotlight this summer despite the fact he is under contract until 2016, but the Croatia star appears settled in north London.
    Asked if he intended to stick around, he told the Daily Mail:
    "I think so.
    "You can't predict things in football because anything can happen. But I am enjoying it here.
    "The fans are amazing, the club is amazing. There are Croatians here. I really do enjoy it here.
    "I'm not missing anything. I think this club can achieve a lot of great things.
    "I think we can challenge for the Premier League and the cups. Like I said, you never know what is going to happen. You can say you are staying and then you leave. But I am happy here and I am not thinking about leaving."
    On the prospect of watching the Champions League on television, though, he added: "It's going to be hard.
    "For the first time in the Champions League we did a great job and we were involved in some great games. It's going to be hard watching the Champions League on TV next season."
    Tottenham were well in the hunt for a second successive fourth-place finish in the Premier League finish until their season faltered over the past couple of months.
    Modric is unable to put his finger on exactly what went wrong but admits Champions League burnout may have been a factor.
    "We need to focus on qualifying for next season," he said.
    "If it hadn't been for the problems we had in the last two-and-a-half months we could have easily been in the top two or three in the Premier League.
    "We had a bad run. It happens in
    football. You have bad days. But we had some good days, too. In the Premier League and the Champions League.
    "I can't explain what went wrong. We just couldn't kill teams off. Maybe, because we had some injuries too, the players got tired from playing all those big games."

Charles N'Zogbia - linked with Wigan exit.

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez expects to keep the majority of his squad together regardless of what division they are playing in next season.
    Martinez could face a battle to keep a number of players if the Latics are condemned to relegation on the final day of the Barclays Premier League season on Sunday.
    But it is has also been suggested several faces could leave even if Wigan secure a favourable result at Stoke to survive in the top flight.
    Martinez has long said chief attack threat Charles N'Zogbia can move if an acceptable offer is received while key pair Ali Al Habsi and Tom Cleverley are coming to the end of season-long loans.
    The Spaniard, however, is confident of avoiding major disruption and said: "I don't think the team is going to break up.
    "We have very good financial stability at the club and we have got a playing squad in which everyone is under contract.
    "We have had two loan players that have had a massive impact this season, but when you have got loan players you can only make sure they are attached to the football club, enjoy their football and always have memories in the future."
    Oman goalkeeper Al Habsi has been particularly impressive and was named as the club's player of the year this week.
    The 29-year-old, who was seeking first-team football after four years as Jussi Jaaskelainen's understudy at Bolton, was given his chance after Chris Kirkland conceded 10 goals in the opening two games.
    He kept his place for the season and could be in demand as he returns to the Trotters this summer.
    Midfielder Cleverley, 21, has not made quite the same impact due to injuries but has still enhanced his reputation as one of Manchester United's most promising youngsters.
    Martinez said: "I think Wigan Athletic has had a big impact in their careers and I am extremely pleased with them.
    "After that, it is not in our hands but they want to be winners and finish this season with a feeling of achievement."
    Wigan, who have a clean bill of health, are one of five teams in danger of filling the last two relegation slots heading into Sunday's final round of fixtures.
    Latics are 19th but just a point behind 15th-placed Blackburn and need to maintain the momentum after last week's dramatic 3-2 win over now-relegated West Ham.
    Martinez said: "We are working really hard to try to get as many points as we can.
    "I believe 39 points is a reflection of a very good season but we need to get 42.
    "That is our focus. It is a final and we are going to prepare as we always do."

Alan Pardew - former West Ham boss.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has urged West Ham's owners not to price their new manager out of a promotion drive.
    The Hammers dispensed with the services of Avram Grant within hours of their relegation from the Barclays Premier League last Sunday, and are currently attempting to recruit a replacement with caretaker Kevin Keen taking charge for Sunday's closing-day clash with Sunderland.
    By contrast, Pardew, who spent more than three years in the hotseat at Upton Park, will send his side out against West Brom at St James' Park having seen them build upon a swift return from their own fall from grace by surviving back in the top-flight with ease.
    It was Chris Hughton, the bookmakers' favourite for the vacancy at West Ham, who guided the Magpies back to the Premier League despite having to work with a vastly decreased budget, but crucially one which still allowed him to retain a competitive squad.
    Pardew said: "It's very important that the [West Ham] board is strong and that they invest, because you can't cut and cut and expect to get promoted.
    "Newcastle took a very strong view on that. West Ham might not financially be able to do that, but they can't cut it to the bone.
    "They have got to give the next manager a real chance. They are experienced people there and I think they will give the manager every chance, and I certainly hope they do so."
    Newcastle slashed their wage bill from around 75million to in the region of 42million as some of their bigger names moved on, but were still able to field a side which included the likes of Steve Harper, Jose Enrique, Fabricio Coloccini, Kevin Nolan and then largely unheralded striker Andy Carroll.
    The Hammers are likely to hold their own fire sale once the dust sets on a disastrous campaign, and Newcastle and derby rivals Sunderland have already been linked with a move for striker Demba Ba.
    Pardew, however, is refusing to shed any light on his targets, and particularly those who may come on to the market because of their clubs being relegated.
    He said: "It's very unfair when clubs get relegated. It is like piranhas feeding around West Ham."
    In the meantime, Pardew will concentrate only on the task of ending the campaign with a win which could see the Magpies finish as high as ninth and perhaps more importantly for their fans, above the Black Cats.
    The manager said: "It makes a big difference to me and I think it makes a big difference to our fans - well, I am pretty sure it does because all my staff keep reminding me that we have got that opportunity.
    "Steve Bruce will want to finish above us and will be looking to get a win, and I am too."

Sven-Goran Eriksson - releases 10 players.

Veteran goalkeeper Ricardo heads a list of 10 players released by Leicester but a decision on Aleksandar Tunchev has been deferred.
    Ricardo joined the Foxes during the January transfer window on a deal until the end of the season and has made eight appearances in the Championship.
    However, Leicester boss Sven-Goran Eriksson has opted against giving the 35-year-old an extension at the Walkers Stadium.
    Eriksson has been linked with a move for Coventry City keeper Keiren Westwood as he looks to build a squad capable of winning promotion next season.
    The other players to have been let go by Eriksson are youngsters Robert Ambrusics, Ashley Chambers, Nathan Hicks, Jorrin John, Craig King, Ben Milnes, Luke O'Neill, Aman Verma and Adi Yussuf.
    Meanwhile, Eriksson has yet to decide whether to offer Bulgarian defender Tunchev a new contract following his lengthy injury troubles.
    Tunchev made two substitute appearances at the end of the campaign after a long battle with a knee injury and has been invited to take part in pre-season training with Leicester.

McLeish - wants to stay at Birmingham.

Alex McLeish has confirmed he wants to stay on as Birmingham manager irrespective of the outcome of the club's relegation battle.
    Birmingham are locked in a fight with four rivals to avoid joining West Ham in the Championship next season ahead of the final day of the Premier League season.
    However, in the build-up to Birmingham's trip to Tottenham, reports have claimed that there has been a rift between McLeish and the club's board.
    McLeish led Blues to Carling Cup glory earlier this year and is looking to preserve the club's Premier League status after finishing ninth 12 months ago.
    The former Aberdeen defender insists he is enjoying being in charge at St Andrew's and is not planning to leave in the summer.
    "I don't see why I should not want to be here, so yes, I do," said McLeish. "This is a privileged job.
    "This is a great job. There would be a queue from here to Glasgow for the job if I wasn't in it.
    "I still pinch myself thinking about when I was making it as a professional footballer.
    "I've won major European trophies with a provincial Scottish club but this league is where everyone wants to be and I'm no different."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast